Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"

3 hours ago, D1CKO said:

They do everything! They look like new, really happy

Cool. I've got a set of Geminis ready to come off and be replaced with new Turinis. The Geminis have a few scruffs though and I wanted to see about getting them coated black to get rid of the annoying diamond  cut finish. 

• 9 months later...

Look good 👌

I have new diamond cut extremes on my black VRS - did you use to clean them with a special cleaner before you had them powder coated?

Obviously want to try and keep them corrosion free during the winter ideally.....

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Copied you with satin black powder coated xtremes on a meteor grey 245. Think it looks better than the original diamond cut which looked like a flower pattern to me.

Drove through some rain on way home so bit grubby already, which I didn't help with finger prints, but you get the idea!

20220308_172851.thumb.jpg.2cd22fe14766ecbb79743e50c122c2e8.jpg20220308_172823.thumb.jpg.2f78df22622350ad8e3e902d8bf559f5.jpg

• Like 1

They both look great and mine is a red vrs, so I think I'll be going for this option when the time comes. Thanks for sharing both of you, it really helps to see some examples 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

They both look great and mine is a red vrs, so I think I'll be going for this option when the time comes. Thanks for sharing both of you, it really helps to see some examples 👍

This. Both cars look great, I'm sure the OPs still do from over two years ago! Satin black does seem to be the winner. My diamond cut / gloss black Extremes are in terrible condition even with barely any kerb or pothole damage.

21 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

This. Both cars look great, I'm sure the OPs still do from over two years ago! Satin black does seem to be the winner. My diamond cut / gloss black Extremes are in terrible condition even with barely any kerb or pothole damage.

I had the gloss black and overall they were ok but with a few small scrapes here and there I guess moisture got under the lacquer as started looking a bit mouldy on some of the diamond cut lines.

3 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

It does feel inevitable! At least it's not an expensive route to go down too.  

I paid £295 for the wheels to be done, cheapest quote for my area (central Scotland). 

• Like 1

I worked for 5 years in a powder painting shop.

A rim with minimal damage and solid paint: 20 GBP

With lots of damage or sandblasting: 37 GBP

If you want metallic +clearcoat  add : 16 GBP

IMG_8891.jpeg

IMG_8907.jpeg

Edited by hansen1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Evening all. Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread.

How are you @D1CKO and @Tazdaz getting on with the Satin Black finish on your wheels and what made you choose the Satin over Gloss?

I’m currently on the fence on whether to replace a curbed wheel or have all 4 refurbished. They all show signs of the “white worm” corrosion on the diamond cut face but aside from that 3 have no other signs of wear and tear.

Unfortunately the wife curbed one and had it repaired while I was away working. Annoyingly the repairer sanded back the scuff damage, losing the definition of the detail on the wheel, then painted the face/edge silver meaning it can no longer have a diamond cut refurb. The paint they used is starting to flake away also.

I appreciate she meant well however I wish she’d have left it until I got back or at least told me so that I could have arranged to get a proper diamond cut repair done.

As much as I like the diamond cut anthracite wheels, for the price of 1 Gemini I could pretty much get them all powder coated which is a no brainier to me.

On 20/05/2023 at 22:39, CookieMonster87 said:

Evening all. Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread.

How are you @D1CKO and @Tazdaz getting on with the Satin Black finish on your wheels and what made you choose the Satin over Gloss?

I’m currently on the fence on whether to replace a curbed wheel or have all 4 refurbished. They all show signs of the “white worm” corrosion on the diamond cut face but aside from that 3 have no other signs of wear and tear.

Unfortunately the wife curbed one and had it repaired while I was away working. Annoyingly the repairer sanded back the scuff damage, losing the definition of the detail on the wheel, then painted the face/edge silver meaning it can no longer have a diamond cut refurb. The paint they used is starting to flake away also.

I appreciate she meant well however I wish she’d have left it until I got back or at least told me so that I could have arranged to get a proper diamond cut repair done.

As much as I like the diamond cut anthracite wheels, for the price of 1 Gemini I could pretty much get them all powder coated which is a no brainier to me.

The satin black didn't last for me. After around a year it started flaking a bit around the edges at the bead. Had them redone gloss gunmetal after discussions with the powder coaters who redone them under warranty. Think the extra coat of lacquer helps durability, but it equally could have been a preparation issue. The place I used is meant to be the best in the area. 

Satin black looked really good when clean but with brake dust and road grime they were almost coppery, brown colour half the time! The gloss gunmetal hides dirt a lot more!

@Tazdaz @Fuzzarr thanks both for the replies. Pictures would be much appreciated when you’ve had the work done.

Interesting to read your experiences with the satin. One of the reasons I was considering satin is that you don’t seem to loose as much of the wheels definition compared to the black gloss.

I’m also keen on gloss anthracite. The place I’ve enquired with do a nice Audi anthracite colour that’s a similar shade to/a bit darker than the standard Gemini’s.

I haven’t seen many examples of refurbished Gemini’s, plenty of the Xtremes though, understandably on British roads these days.

This is the gloss gunmetal in a dirty state. Yet to get any decent pictures! Finish is good so any odd bits showing on pics are water marks or dirt.

Very different look to the satin black as shows the full wheel shape, but I like it as a lot of cars around here have black alloys. I really didn't like the standard Xtremes as once I saw the flower petals it's all I could see. 

20230525_094625.jpg

20230525_094631.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm toying with the idea of Imola Bronze 🤔 thoughts? See colour below, going on black car btw

Lamborghini-Imola-Bronze-Matt-FXWB123-1076-4.jpg

Edited by MO230
Pic / can't spell
  • Like 1

@MO230 replied to your thread but it’s a thumbs up from me!

@Tazdaz thanks for the photos, that may have swayed me as I’ve been put off by the satin and gloss black as you appear to loose all definition of the wheel.

I need to see if the area that’s been sanded back during the previous repair  can be restored and sanded back to the correct profile. Will post some pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Edited by CookieMonster87

@nidza I also prefer the diamond cut look. Unfortunately with the repair that’s already been done I can no longer have that wheel re-diamond cut.

So my options are to either replace the wheel (bear in mind all 4 have some minor signs of white worm so would benefit from a refund anyway) or have all 4 powder coated. Eventually the diamond cut will show up the white worm corrosion so the powder coating will give more longevity.

1 hour ago, nidza said:

Still looks far better with stock glossy black diamond cut, my 2c, but I fully accept this is much cheaper. 

I just can't unsee the "flower" now people have pointed it out 😂 and also unsure if I'd like the diamond cut once it's recut and much fatter, and everyone has them 😂