Which one would you pick??

Today I have seen two Skoda Octavia with different configuration and similar specs. I’m very confused and your help, once again, would be highly appreciated.

Both cars are SE L, in good condition and with 18” alloys.

Which one would you pick?

CAR 1 -  1.4 TSI DSG (7 gears)     -  £12.400

22.000 Miles

Grey quartz 

34 Months old

Sold with 12 months Skoda extended warranty

Sold locally in an official Skoda Garage

-----Extras----

·         Canton Audio System

·         MIB2.5 Columbus 9.2” screen

·         Chrome Window surround

·         Interior light pack

·         Rear-view parking camera

·         Rear LED lights (high functionality)

CAR 2 -   1.5 TSI DSG (7 gears)     -  £13.300

20.000 Miles

Silver

28 Months old

8 Months manufacturer warranty (no extended warranty)

Arnold Clark Garage - 60 miles away

-----Extras----

·         Winter Pack (Heated front seats, windscreen &washer nozzles)

·         MIB2.5 Amundsen 8” screen

·         Front and rear parking sensors

·         Supersport steering wheel with DSG paddles

·         Keyless entry and start/stop

·         Rear-view parking camera

Thank you

From the descriptions above it's clear cut, the first one is the better engine, better colour, better audio, better screen, more warranty and it's cheaper.

The miles and age are negligible and mean nothing in a short period of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex-W said:

From the descriptions above it's clear cut, the first one is the better engine, better colour, better audio, better screen, more warranty and it's cheaper.

The miles and age are negligible and mean nothing in a short period of time.

Why do you think the 1.4 is the better engine?

It's been established for ages, has very good reviews for economy and performance, while everything I've read about the 1.5 just talks about the low rev kangarooing issues and no tangible benefit with power or economy.  Pretty sure they're less economical in fact due to having a gpf.

Not that I've actively been looking for info, I went for the 2.0 myself.

I have 2 friends with the 1.4 though, one in an Octavia, one in a Leon and both are impressed on all fronts, with no issues.

Edited by Alex-W

For me it comes down to one thing; how much will you use the winter pack? If you think you will use the heated seats and screen often then go for that car. If you won’t use the screen or don’t mind not having it and you won’t use (or miss) the heated seats then go for the grey car. The 1.4 is a slightly better engine and doesn’t suffer from the issues that have plagued the 1.5, also they aren’t equipped with the cylinder on demand 2 cylinder mode like the 1.5. CANTON audio is nice and the Columbus is a nice upgrade too, I love mine. Being cheaper helps too, but as I said before, it’s about the value you see in the extras. It all hinges on the winter pack IMO.

• Like 2

Avoid Arnold Clark anyway and with just remainder of Manufacturers warranty when buying a 1.5 TSI DSG (DQ200) 

They will treat you nice during the sale and treat you like a fart in a spacesuit if you have any issues.

Also research a 1.5TSI , and Warranty work and check if a Software update has been carried out.

Go 1.4 TSI DSG  (DQ200) with 12 months Warranty & then extend that in a year for a further 12 months.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

35 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Avoid Arnold Clark anyway and with just remainder of Manufacturers warranty when buying a 1.5 TSI DSG (DQ200) 

They will treat you nice during the sale and treat you like a fart in a spacesuit if you have any issues.

Also research a 1.5TSI , and Warranty work and check if a Software update has been carried out.

Go 1.4 TSI DSG  (DQ200) with 12 months Warranty & then extend that in a year for a further 12 months.

To be honest, I have been warned a few times already about Arnold Clark. 

Can you please tell me how to check the software version and how the upgrade is done?

11 hours ago, Alex-W said:

It's been established for ages, has very good reviews for economy and performance, while everything I've read about the 1.5 just talks about the low rev kangarooing issues and no tangible benefit with power or economy.  Pretty sure they're less economical in fact due to having a gpf.

Not that I've actively been looking for info, I went for the 2.0 myself.

I have 2 friends with the 1.4 though, one in an Octavia, one in a Leon and both are impressed on all fronts, with no issues.

Doesn't the 1.4 TSI  have GPF? Why is this a disadvantage? 

Thanks for all your help.

11 minutes ago, Daniel_ said:

Why would you go for car 2? Factoring Arnold Clark reputation, would you still go for car 2?

As I replied in one of your other posts, I would pick the car with the heated windscreen every time, but not from Arnold.

1 minute ago, Kenny R said:

As I replied in one of your other posts, I would pick the car with the heated windscreen every time, but not from Arnold.

I wish I had this option. Unfortunately I can't see any other Octavia SE L with Heated windscreen, only the one from Arnold Clark. 

I think with all things considered here the grey car is shaping up the better buy if the winter pack isn’t a straight cut, need it at all costs deal breaker. It’s cheaper, has better audio and infotainment, the rear lights are nicer (small thing but still cool IMO) and it’s the 1.4 which is a nicer, more proven engine compared to the 1.5. Not being from AC is the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Unless it’s an absolute peach, and you know it’s history 100% and not what Arnold are telling you I’d give it a miss.

If it is really 100% legit you could always buy it and take it to your local Skoda dealer for any warranty work it may require.

But in this case I would probably go option 1, if it’s down to only these two, and buy an ice scraper and de- iced with the money saved :)

Thank you so much guys. Your help is so appreciated.

I asked Skoda for the service history of this vehicle and I got this. Are 3 MPC in 2 years normal? The car has had 2 previous owners. 

26/09/2019 Used Car MPC 22,594
12/08/2019 Inspection Service 21,732
28/08/2018 Oil Change Service 13,580
05/08/2017 Used Car MPC 5,290
04/08/2017 Used Car MPC 5,290

i think you are going to be hard pushed to get any futher service on car 1 as it only had one in August and less than 1k miles since. The dealer should be able to provide the FSH but I don't think it will tell you much more than you know already.

Edited by peter3197

3 hours ago, Daniel_ said:

Thanks for all your help

Another thing to go wrong and saps a little more fuel with no benefit to the user.

CAR 1 won. I paid 1£2,300

Being 1,000 pounds cheaper, approved Skoda and local made me decide. The winter pack on the other car will be very much missed, but it is not worth the risk dealing with Arnold Clark and 1,5 hours journey, plus 1K on top.

I went to see the approved car today and had a few light scratches here and there, two of the alloys need to be restored and a few minor details. In theory it will be done before I get the car.

I just want to say once again, thank you very much. You guys help a lot and now I know it is the right car for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Daniel_ said:

The 1.4TSI doesn't have a GPF. The reliability of a GPF is unknown as they haven't been in use for long, given the DPF issues it's an extra concern IMHO.