Dash cam hard wiring

dudec

Hi there, just purchased a nextbase 412gw and have ordered a hard wire kit.

Any recommendations on which fuse to use? Would like to use the parking feature but don't want the cam to drain the battery, is this possible?

Any other advice greatly appreciated

On 10/02/2020 at 20:48, DEL80Y said:

@dudec

I buy these for about £11

excellent price but the voltage cut off of that device is 11.6 which in my opinion is too low.

On a non stop start car (cheaper battery to replace) it may be worth having as you may catch an incident that you wouldnt have done otherwise negating the cost of an earlier battery replacement.

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2020 at 08:25, superbdreams said:

excellent price but the voltage cut off of that device is 11.6 which in my opinion is too low.

On a non stop start car (cheaper battery to replace) it may be worth having as you may catch an incident that you wouldnt have done otherwise negating the cost of an earlier battery replacement.

Have the stop/start, already forked out for a new battery, not doing that for a while 💵 💵 💵 

On 12/02/2020 at 08:25, superbdreams said:

I was the same very sceptical about the voltage cut off but i left the car at Manchester airport and forgot to disconnect it.

My camera goes into park mode after a certain time so the consumption is very little

I was away for 10 days and car started fine no bumps on it recorded and only three files which was with severe wind 

was worried all the way home but always have a lithium jump starter in boot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a funny situation here trying to hard wire my dash cam. I have tried fuses that in theory should only be powered after ingintion is turned on eg. Heated seats, rear screen defrost and unless I'm doing something wrong the dash cam is charging all the time regardless if the ignition is on or not. Can anyone help? TIA

3 minutes ago, langers2k said:

@Stefan_Siarzewski - use a multimeter to find an appropriate fuse?

Believe me or not that's  what I did. None of the fuses is showing any voltage. Tried battery terminals to make sure multimeter is ok. They are all ok for continuity but can't measure any voltage either with ignition on or off. Tried plugging the dash cam tap and every single fuse I tap into powers the dashcam even with ignition off. I feel extremely dumb. I must have missed something very simple...

Which fuse terminal are you using with the multimeter? The top terminal of the two is the battery side and the bottom one is the load side. When checking the voltage, put one probe on the upper fuse terminal and the other on the metal frame the fusebox is attached to (it's a good ground).

• Thanks 1

Is the multimeter in DC voltage mode, the correct range and the leads in the correct sockets?

If it's not showing any voltage when you put the multimeter across the car battery, that suggests the multimeter is either broken or not in the right mode.

Hi all and thanks for help and suggestions. I have successfully fitted and hardwired the dash cam. My multimeter was fine and @chimaera was right. I was dumb enough to measure the fuses on wrong terminals 🤭. Also my dash cam settings caused a little confusion. jjc thank you kindly for your offer 👍🏻.