Used Octy's with LED headlights - what date onwards or spec are most likely to have them?

Looking at changing my 11yr Pug 308SW in the very near future. An Octy Estate TDI DSG is on my shortlist. One think I would like are LED headlights, but as the specs listed on sites like Autotrader are taken from a 3rd party database, there is no guarantee that the spec listed actually match that of of the car. 

Is there a date cutoff before which headlights were likely to be Xenon rather than LED? Any particular trim levels that I should focus on?

... and I would kick it out if if didn't have Xenon or LED. The light output is really rather good from the Xenon, with the LEDs being a tick better, especially on full beam. Can't speak for Halogen, I've not driven one with it. Then again, I get to use high beam an awful lot....along with lots and lots of unlit roads with minimal traffic.

- Bret

I have never driven car with Xenon lights at night so can not offer an opinion as to their efficacy .

I have a friend who has had fair few very expensive cars , all I think with Xenons ,who says he would never go back to "ordinary " headlights.

I have driven lots of cars with Halogen lights , some were very good , others less so .

What I can say is that the LED lights in my current Octavia are definitely the best headlights I have ever driven behind .I am particularly impressed with the auto dip setting 

If I was in the market for a different car, LED lights would well up the list as far as very desirable features are concerned .

Regards

You can easily tell whether it has halogen, xenon or LED headlights from the pictures...

Pre-Facelift 2012 - 2017

Halogen

image.png.6f59312356a7e4287dd0e8fe4ccfa2f6.png

Xenon

image.png.0f3bf171d51b91ce021aef24aa997408.png

Facelift 2018 - 2020

Halogen

image.png.194d210ed1acf379b7ef0cae19f123d7.png

LED

image.png.233a1f23b8821a43e9597310c9457a4e.png

This applies to UK specifications. There are some variations to the pre-facelift headlights that aren't available here.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/02/2020 at 20:11, silver1011 said:

You can easily tell whether it has halogen, xenon or LED headlights from the pictures...

Pre-Facelift 2012 - 2017

Halogen

Xenon

Facelift 2018 - 2020

Halogen

LED

This applies to UK specifications. There are some variations to the pre-facelift headlights that aren't available here.

Now that is a really helpful useful post. Forums can be great thanks to the members. 

• Like 3

On 12/02/2020 at 20:11, silver1011 said:

Pre-Facelift 2012 - 2017

Halogen

Xenon

Facelift 2018 - 2020

Halogen

LED

Yep, definitely, the best post I've seen in some time on here & that's quite a complement as this site is very good

Well done @silver1011

• Thanks 1

Cracking replies guys, thankyou! Are there any Skoda models that have a speed limiter or is it just cruise control with a setable speed warning? Not a deal breaker for me but very useful with the variable speed limits on the motorways!

10 hours ago, Buster said:

Cracking replies guys, thankyou! Are there any Skoda models that have a speed limiter or is it just cruise control with a setable speed warning? Not a deal breaker for me but very useful with the variable speed limits on the motorways!

Cruise control doesn't include the speed limiter, they are separate but AFAIK the speed limiter requires cruise control (or ACC).

If as per your post you are looking at a DSG, go find a car with Active Cruise Control (ACC) it works fantastically well with this set up, once you learn to trust it and are always ready to take over.

You can simply set the maximum speed and distance ( it will not let you any closer than the minimum safe distance for the actual speed) you want to follow the vehicle in front and enjoy the experience.

iI have had a a couple of DSG’s with ACC and it made motorway driving so nice, especially in heavy traffic it just crawls along at a safe distance and as they all increase or decrease speed your car simply follows suit.

68 plate Octavia estate SE L 2.0TDI DSG, only 5k on the clock. OK, spec is full LED lights, rear parking sensors, front assist, cruise control, Amundsen infotainment with sat nav, 17 inch alloys, Android Auto, Apple Carplay, USB, Leather and microsuede upholstery, 4 genuine rubber floor mats.

Now to find a proper bootliner as it has been kept immaculate!

I went for the same model, but with the addition of front sensors and heated seats. The LED lights with high beam assist are the best I’ve driven with, much better than my previous 308 ‘s LED lights. The DSG gearbox is amazing, the shifts are so smooth and with the 2 litre Diesel engine it goes like stink! Very impressed so far