DSG box - is yours awful too?

Kodiak-Red

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

In response to Winston_Wolf’s question, I’ve been experimenting (in my 1.4TSi) and particularly watching what gear it’s in.  Answer:  first, I think.  Even if I set off “casually” into a roundabout, I’m well within the roundabout by the time it changes to second.  

I would think the shifting point to 2nd on a 1.4 TSI would be later due to its lower torque output.

Another factor in play is the gradient you're on when pulling away.  The car clearly has some sort of built in gradient sensor as I've noticed it's far keener to short-shift into 2nd when pulling away if you're on the level or on a slight downhill than if you're on an upward slope.

It's not a major issue though in my car.  Like SuperbTWM in the previous post, overall I find my TDI 150 DSG to be pretty much flawless in this area - the short-shifting to 2nd is just something I've observed that can happen on occasion.  I've had my Kodiaq for four months (3000 miles) now and the six "I'm interested in buying one too" friends/family members that have driven my car in that time have pretty much all commented that the engine/DSG combination is amazing. 

Edited by Winston_Wolf

1.4 TSI 150ps and 7 speed DSG's are not hanging about getting out of first unless a little by putting into S and hanging onto revs, but even then before 10 mph they shift up.

No point really comparing a TSI to a TDI, and a 150 ps TSI in a Kodiaq or to one in a Polo/Fabia/Ibiza/A1 or even an Octavia.

Big heavy lump of a car to a light one or just lighter.

Simply for Euro 6 VW Group needed to get engine management right for the lower emissions, then for Euro 6 d temp & WLTP they had to mess that up in various applications.

2 hours ago, mentaliss said:

DSG's  2.0ltr Diesel's  have become known for poor throttle response = poor gear change, lag, hesitation..... My 4x4/190ps had all these problems so from my research I got hold of a guy who remaps particularly to motor racing since remapped done all the above sorted ..smooth ride, gear change with throttle response as the car should be

Sounds like mentaliss has found the solution? Please can you share where you got your mapping done? I’m also going to try a remap but have been recommended one for more torque and economy. 

26 minutes ago, mentaliss said:

ECO ENGINE TUNE....07739466602

Thx mentaliss

Was yours just an engine remap or did they tweak the DSG too?

Also if you don’t mind me asking was it very expensive?

Thx

if you are experiencing engine hesitations, poor throttle response an engine remap is all that's needed....its all down to the person who knows what he/she understands about how the on board computers interact...no need for DSG tweaking, in most cases the main issue is to do with throttle lag...

I requested a particular power curb  due to occasion towing of my Caravan (something around 230bhp/ 70 Numans Torque) achieved....don't forget the power increase is delivered to all 4 wheels  if you own the 4x4 version  of the Kodiaq....if you really want to see the power increases graph wise you would need to go to someone who operates a Dynamometer

price wise I feel its not for me to comment other than if your struggling to pay your Mort'/rent forget remapping😟

Well I reckon I’ve been offered a pretty good deal. £279 for an engine remap with a14 day money back guarantee. Other companies are quoting up to £700 for engine and box so it can be confusing knowing what you’re buying - not exactly like trying on shoes to see if they fit and you like the look of them. 

Manufacturers warranty doesn’t worry me - I don’t abuse my cars and am willing to take the chance - besides it’s up to the manufacturer to determine that the map is different and I’m not sure they’re that inclined to look unless it’s directly related. Insurance is a different matter though. Usually a case of “computer says no...”

The Warranty provider is certainly inclined to check the ECU if a warranty claim comes in for an engine, a turbo or a gearbox.

Warranties are insurance policies and you are making a claim.  They can even use Loss Adjusters just as an Insurance Loss Adjuster might have the ECU read.

It is not an issue, use a reliable trusted tuner and if things go wrong it is only a few thousand quid.

Life is too short to drive cars you hate how they drive.

• john999boy changed the title to DSG box - is yours awful too?

Get a remap performed by yourself with handheld device, like Bluefin or similar.

You can revert the remap back to original one when visiting the service.

Why revert it to original, you are running a remap so put it in for a service and tell them to do no software updates,  if you you had a warranty claim on the drive train your are not going to commit fraud signing to say you had not run non factory approved software.

As it is you have the car insured with that declared mod unless operating without a full pack.

Every single time you have your regular service, the computer guy goes through the ECU with ODIS to check fthe aults etc.

Dunno about Skoda, but on higher level Audis you cannot even change the brake pads without resetting the data with ODIS.

And if there is a remap activated, it will be very well seen.

Yes it is very seen.  As it is very easily found if the ECU is investigated when there is a warranty claim. 

You can not hide that you had made changes by removing the map. 

As i said, your car and you decide if you want a remap, if things go wrong pay up to fix them do not defraud a warranty provider even if it is the VW Group.

It is seen, if they are looking for it.

Usually they don`t.

My remap provider gave full 1 year warranty for the engine and drivetrain.

In 1,5 years my car warranty will be over anyway.

That is good then. It makes no difference as long as everything goes OK.

They look if they are going to pay out thousands. The Dealership staff might not care,

There are various Remap /Tuning companies with a Warranty on their Tuning Boxes and Software and installing /uploading it.

They are not replacing engines / turbos etc when there are issues.

https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/assets/pdf/SuperchipsWarrantyBooklet.pdf

Screenshot 2020-03-01 at 22.14.39.png

Screenshot 2020-03-01 at 22.15.30.png

Screenshot 2020-03-01 at 22.15.57.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Going back to the original title of the thread, I rather like mine. I have moved across from a manual 6 speed in my old Octavia Scout to the DSG in my Kodiaq and it's fine. Any issues with it at the moment are down to me getting to know how best to drive it. It's really smooth, the sport and manual bits work well and are easily swapped frpom one to the other. Even my fuel consumption is reasonable given that the engine is clearly as tight as a gnat's chuff with less than 400 miles on it. My previous experience of auto gearboxes are slushboxes in the states so this stacks up pretty well by comparison. As for the Columbus Infotainment though, I find myself hankering for the allegedly less capable Amundsen from my old car which eas so much easier to use and could connect reliably with my S9+.

"I'm not a fan of diesels of any kind"

So he was always going to hate it, whether it's actually any good or not.

Are they blaming the engine or the gearbox?

Any chance you can name the "leading motor magazine in the country"?

56 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

"I'm not a fan of diesels of any kind"

So he was always going to hate it, whether it's actually any good or not.

Are they blaming the engine or the gearbox?

Any chance you can name the "leading motor magazine in the country"?

Probably autocar

"anywhere near filling up it"?    surely that should be "anywhere near filling it up"  anyway... 

Since being made aware of the lag , I seem to notice it more and am finding it a bit annoying in my 1.5 petrol.  I like the sound of the Pedal box - seems like a cheap(ish) and easy solution to the issue.  Maybe a silly question but what would happen if the Pedal Box were to fail?  I take it any drive by wire failure involving the throttle would keep it closed?

20 hours ago, tbone134 said:

"anywhere near filling up it"?    surely that should be "anywhere near filling it up"  anyway... 

Since being made aware of the lag , I seem to notice it more and am finding it a bit annoying in my 1.5 petrol.  I like the sound of the Pedal box - seems like a cheap(ish) and easy solution to the issue.  Maybe a silly question but what would happen if the Pedal Box were to fail?  I take it any drive by wire failure involving the throttle would keep it closed?

Your best bet would be to call Racechip, I found them very helpful before buying the Racechip XLR. And after 2 years in use its been perfect. No complaints at all.

https://www.racechip.co.uk/pedal-box/xlr.html

Edited by Markymate
  • Thanks 1

I've totally cured my throttle response problem - by trading in my Kodiaq for a BMW 520d xDrive Touring. The difference in throttle response is amazing and one of the main reasons why I changed back to BMWs.

• Haha 1

Would that be a conventional torque converter gearbox, designed and manufactured by ZF?

They're the future. Oh hang on, they're actually the past too!

• Like 1