The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

Here you can talk about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) SARS-CoV-2

Coronaviruses are a group of related viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, coronaviruses cause respiratory tract infections that can be mild, such as some cases of the common cold (among other possible causes, predominantly rhinoviruses), and others that can be lethal, such as SARS, MERS, and COVID-19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).[9] The disease was first identified in 2019 in Wuhan, China, and has since spread globally, resulting in the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic.[10][11] Common symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. Muscle pain, sputum production and sore throat are less common.[6][12] While the majority of cases result in mild symptoms,[13] some progress to severe pneumonia and multi-organ failure.[10][14] The rate of deaths per number of diagnosed cases is on average 3.4%, ranging from 0.2% in those less than 20 to approximately 15% in those over 80 years old.[8][15][16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus_disease_2019

https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

I'm seeing posts on a "mummy" group where someone's sh1tting themselves as they've ordered goods from eBay that are coming from China.

One of the best replies so far "if you're worried enough to post on here just throw the parcel in the bin".

IMO it's unlikely that an item that's taken several days to get from China to the UK would still have live virus present (assuming it had it in the first place) would still pose a health risk but then these are the sort of people that believe everything they see/read without question and aren't prepared to do their own research.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ77 said:

IMO it's unlikely that an item that's taken several days to get from China to the UK would still have live virus present (assuming it had it in the first place) would still pose a health risk but then these are the sort of people that believe everything they see/read without question and aren't prepared to do their own research.

What if said goods was a mail order bride?  Incubation period is 14+ days, no? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Russ77 said:

I'm seeing posts on a "mummy" group where someone's sh1tting themselves as they've ordered goods from eBay that are coming from China.

I've already cancelled one Chinese order and the re-order from a different supplier still looks to be having shipping problems.

The measures that China has put in place to stop the spread of the virus are quite high tech and impressive though.

My conspiracy theory is.

The World Leaders know this virus could mutate.

They know who developed it and for what reason.  Bats, Snakes, Wet markets etc. 

Like the HIV / AIDS back when it was from monkeys.  Directly from some laboratory.

This will be Fake News. Clickbait, or fish bait.

https://www.nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

Renamed in Italy as the One Cornetto virus.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

44 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Normal flu kills thousands every year in the UK with few headlines (13000 in 2008/9 apparently). A lot of this is scaremongering

If Flu was reported the same way, you'd have thousands of cases. Read somewhere although this is more dangerous if you have a preexisting condition, flu kills more people. 

So let's not panic too much. 

• Like 2

If you do the maths on the declared number of infected people and those who have died then the death rate is under 2%, which is lower than the death rate with "normal" flu - I'm certainly not about to panic any time soon.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

My conspiracy theory is.

The World Leaders know this virus could mutate.

They know who developed it and for what reason.  Bats, Snakes, Wet markets etc. 

Like the HIV / AIDS back when it was from monkeys.  Directly from some laboratory.

This will be Fake News. Clickbait, or fish bait.

https://www.nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

Renamed in Italy as the One Cornetto virus.

Hopefully it will mutate rapidly. Away from Hollywood dangerous viruses usually mutate to become less lethal. The aim of a virus is to multiply and spread. If it kills its host it does not spread well. The ideal form for a virus is basically the common cold. Highly contagious, yet pretty much just an inconvenience to the host. That way the infected host keeps moving and working and spreading.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

Doubt most people fully appreciate the full impact to business of the virus.  China has shipped relatively few containers in Feb 20 and this will impact somany businesses.

FTSE 100 well under 7000 points, 10% lower than it was 2 years ago.

Does give us in customs some time to work on BREXIT and CDS preparation for latex this year. Question is a V or U or L shaped recovery.

3 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Doubt most people fully appreciate the full impact to business of the virus.  China has shipped relatively few containers in Feb 20 and this will impact somany businesses.

Does give us in customs some time to work on BREXIT and CDS preparation for latex this year. Question is a V or U or L shaped recovery.

We have containers over 2 weeks late and I had one turn up 11 days late yesterday but this is more to do with the recent storms affecting sailings into UK Ports.:hi:

13 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

We have containers over 2 weeks late and I had one turn up 11 days late yesterday but this is more to do with the recent storms affecting sailings into UK Ports.:hi:

Indeed so many issues. Weather, lack of low sulphur qualifying vessels, Blank cancelled sailings and goods not even getting to the ports to be ready for sailing.  Hopefully start getting back to some normality in March ie next week but those boxes we will not see until days b4 Easter

Guest BigJase88

I'm not worried about the virus for my own health, but my son is now just 4 months old and I wouldn't like him to catch it, so I am wary about it in that respect so I do try and keep updated about how much it is spreading.

21 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Potentially the economic damage could cause more harm than the virus does directly. I'm now readng that there is potential for a global recession driven by the reduction in trade caused by the virus shutdowns.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/23/economic-impact-of-coronavirus-outbreak-deepens

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Potentially the economic damage could cause more harm than the virus does directly. I'm now readng that there is potential for a global recession driven by the reduction in trade caused by the virus shutdowns.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/23/economic-impact-of-coronavirus-outbreak-deepens

Quite so.

If Supply issues cause business to halt then it is not just a few percent here and there if is a 100% slow down or stop for some manufacturing or retail.

We are laying on 747 cargo aircraft to move some goods quickly from China to UK and we use the Silk route trains too so companies do not have to wait a month to get their goods but can compress that to a couple of days or weeks.

3 hours ago, BigJase88 said:

I'm not worried about the virus for my own health, but my son is now just 4 months old and I wouldn't like him to catch it, so I am wary about it in that respect so I do try and keep updated about how much it is spreading.

That was a concern discussed today, but medical experts reckon that it is the elderly that are at risk.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts-are-puzzled-over-why-so-few-children-have-caught-coronavirus-so-far

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest BigJase88
54 minutes ago, moley said:

That was a concern discussed today, but medical experts reckon that it is the elderly that are at risk.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts-are-puzzled-over-why-so-few-children-have-caught-coronavirus-so-far

Oh well thats better news then thats my real worry about the whole thing. Guess its a new feeling as a first time parent actually worrying about things from your child’s perspective.

6 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

Oh well thats better news then thats my real worry about the whole thing. Guess its a new feeling as a first time parent actually worrying about things from your child’s perspective.

Don't worry you'll plenty of worrying moments over the next 20 years :D. By the time we had our third child we found that we took everything in our stride.

• Like 1

I can not take serious the stuff i keep hearing like from whoever it was in Northern Ireland tonight and being within 2 meters of someone for 15 minutes or more and then being at risk.  Also the best practice of sneezing into the crook of your arm, washing hands etc.

Is that into a naked crook of an arm, or can you do it on your or someone elses sleeve....

Surely if someone with caronavirus sneezes in your direction as you pass them that is enough of a risk.

7 hours ago, BigJase88 said:

yup.. my lad isnt 4 weeks old until monday ..

and my SIL is meant to visiting from Glasgow, via Dublin Airport at the weekend... kinda tempted, as is swmbo who still isnt 100%, to tell her she can wave at through the front windows...