Experience of upgrading the firmware on Amunsden MIB2.5 system

I copied across the whole file, with the 22 sub-files inside that. 

I have Amundsen.

If you have the time, that would be great, thank you :thumbup:

Edited by Andy730
Added info

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

I would recommend doing this WITH a battery charger otherwise the process will fail due to low battery voltage and could brick your MIB unit.

That really depends on the health of your battery...

My take is you *could* have issues due to a low or failing battery but assuming the it's in good condition, it *should* be perfectly fine to upgrade without a battery charger. I certainly had no issues without a battery charger :)

On 17/03/2021 at 21:31, langers2k said:

Yup, should be fine using VCDS, certainly worked on 20.4.2.0 when I updated my headunit.

Quick google...

I can confirm that this firmware version tweak works just fine - I've done it on two systems.

• 2 months later...

To add in my experience, if it might help anyone -

I formatted the MicroSD card to exFat (with huge big partitions, was it 128k even?)

I used a SD Card adaptor

I started the process and then went off to get my charger and extension cable, assuming it would be fine until I got that set up

It took about 10 minutes to set up, by the time I had done so, I sat back in the car and it had finished!

Thanks for the help, all seems to be well 👍

• Like 1

My update doesnt seem to be recognised - i formatted the card to fat32 (it's a 32gb card, does that matter?)

And extracted the files to the root of the card (the folders and metainfo2.txt are in the root directory)

Should it be exFat?

With a 32G card, you should be fine with FAT32. If you want to partition it down to a 16G card, that may help. If you provided nice small sector sizes of 4096/4k bytes, this will also help by improving reading speed. 

What happens when you try and put in the card into slot 1, does it say 'Card not found' or similar message? Have you removed the card in slot 2 as well?

5 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

With a 32G card, you should be fine with FAT32. If you want to partition it down to a 16G card, that may help. If you provided nice small sector sizes of 4096/4k bytes, this will also help by improving reading speed. 

What happens when you try and put in the card into slot 1, does it say 'Card not found' or similar message? Have you removed the card in slot 2 as well?

Thanks, I'll try that later on 😀

I had the card in slot 1 but it said something along the lines of no update available. There is no card in slot 2.

I am assuming you are putting on the correct SOP version for updating. If you press and HOLD menu button, go to Versions and software version, and press versions again, what is your version of software on your existing system? Remember 02xx can only be upgraded to 02xx versions (0253 I think), 03xx to 0363 and 04xx to 0480.

13 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

I am assuming you are putting on the correct SOP version for updating. If you press and HOLD menu button, go to Versions and software version, and press versions again, what is your version of software on your existing system? Remember 02xx can only be upgraded to 02xx versions (0253 I think), 03xx to 0363 and 04xx to 0480.

Got it updated last night. Thanks guys. It was likely me going into the menu incorrectly! 

3 hours ago, MartiniB said:

It must be original or one with right serial id

No that isn't correct. For the maps I agree you need the original card but for updates and other media you don't.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi varaderoguy,
Thank you very much for posting your instructions for updating the MIB2 firmware. I found your post extremely interesting and easy to follow. I've copied it ready to use if I can find the necessary update files.

Mine is a MIB2 bolero Installed SW Train Version MST2_EU_SK_ZR_PO471T Installed SW MU Version 0471 Part Number 5Q0035840C Software Version H29.319.51_STD2Plus_EU on a 2018 Skoda Karoq.

Can you please help me with getting update files? I have posted a request on Briskoda but I haven't had any replies. Any help in this direction will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnnymac

bolero.jpg

3 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

If you speak with @pab567 he will hopefully be able to assist.  I canny send out these.

Thank you. I have put a couple of posts up hoping that @pab567 might see them but I haven't heard anything. Maybe he's on holiday. Thanks again for your reply.

• 1 month later...

@Hedean interesting question. I've heard that Mac's tend to corrupt the files due to their implementation of 7z but as they are POSIX compliant machines, you might get away with it. Truth is I don't know. I've never tried it. If you can drive the command line on a Mac then you might have better luck. The most important thing is formatting the SD card correctly to FAT32 ideally with 4k blocks.

Edited by varaderoguy
incorrect compression format

9 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

@Hedean interesting question. I've heard that Mac's tend to corrupt the files due to their implementation of ZIP but as they are POSIX compliant machines, you might get away with it. Truth is I don't know. I've never tried it. If you can drive the command line on a Mac then you might have better luck. The most important thing is formatting the SD card correctly to FAT32 ideally with 4k blocks.

Mac works great for the navi card Update. So it may work.

• Like 1

Mac is tricky because the OS leaves invisible files on the SD card that the Škoda infotainment system doesn't recognise/like. In order to remove those Mac invisible files, you need to eject the SD card from the Mac using an application like CleanMyDrive 2.app, which I downloaded from the App Store. Then the card is presented as expected and it works fine.

• Like 1