Upgrades

Hi all, 

I do not want this to sound like something out of `Gran Turismo 4` but I am wondering what are the best basic upgrades for my current car.

I have a Skoda Octaiva Elegance 1.4 Tsi

Best question to ask yourself is 'what do you want to achieve from upgrades'? I.e. Styling, handling, personalisation etc?

Depending on the answers to that, also need to consider whether you'd be voiding warranty / contracts or anything you have with the vehicle.

That'll help other forum members be more specific with any advice :) 

Well lets go to the performance and handle upgrade section 😀

Also as the car was registered in 2014 I am guessing there would be no manufacturer warranty issues?  I have no other warranties.

• Like 1

Naa you'd be out of warranty now.

My first suggestion was going to be "get a 2.0 VRS", but that's not helpful 😅.

As I'm not familiar with the 1.4 TSI, there are differences in configuration from the VRS (i.e. obv engines, rear suspension, etc). Main suggestions for 'basic' modifications would be Tyres are usually the best upgrade in terms of increasing grip and handling - buying good performance ones like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 5, or similar.

Outside of that, unless you're willing to remap the 1.4 engine for more power (don't know why you would - cost vs. benefit is low), then you're sort of limited with the base model. Others may have other suggestions, but given what I've done to mine, it's likely not worth investing more money into modifying it unless you're really sure you want to spend the money on it.

Just my 2 penneth.

10 minutes ago, AtomCom said:

Well lets go to the performance and handle upgrade section 😀

Please press the square button to access this menu screen...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

unless you're willing to remap the 1.4 engine for more power (don't know why you would - cost vs. benefit is low)

Is it really that low? Looking at what Revo offer (as it's easy to get prices on their website), £400 for a 40 to 50bhp increase is hardly bad value. You'd certainly notice an increase to 180/190bhp from 140bhp.

Sure it's not quite on par with getting 300+ from a 220/230/245 vRS for £600 but it's not far off from a £ per bhp perspective.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

performance and handling wise a good start would be better springs and shocks, uprated rear anti roll bar and a remap that should be a decent base.

assuming you engine is Skoda 1.4 TSI 147 bhp from a remap you'd be looking at 185bhp 294 Nm

1 hour ago, Gissin said:

performance and handling wise a good start would be better springs and shocks, uprated rear anti roll bar and a remap that should be a decent base.

assuming you engine is Skoda 1.4 TSI 147 bhp from a remap you'd be looking at 185bhp 294 Nm

I suppose I should be asking if the standard 1.4tsi is worth spending money on to upgrade?  Is it a good base, or should I trade in the car and move up to the vRS then think about upgrades? 

I'm with Ad230 above on this. Buy a 2.0vrs.  It would be far more economical to buy a more performance car in the first place rather than spend lots of money on that particular model which will be built for "mass market" customers.  

16 hours ago, Gissin said:

OP said his car is registered in 2014 so it will be a 140PS version not a 150PS version.

I recently purchased a car, i thought the wheels were ok, but after three months they started to niggle at me. 

Changed them , made me feel a lot happier. 

Wheels can make a big difference to how you feel about a car. Just look at the new electric Mini wheels. 😯

On 03/07/2020 at 19:11, AtomCom said:

I suppose I should be asking if the standard 1.4tsi is worth spending money on to upgrade?  Is it a good base, or should I trade in the car and move up to the vRS then think about upgrades? 

Hmmm, I got my ole 1.4tsi Elegance to 203bhp & 310Nm with a remap, cold air intake system & de-res. Then you need to start sorting the handling especially the rear end which is vague to be polite.

On 03/07/2020 at 19:11, AtomCom said:

That really depends how far you want to take things.

If you're happy with the car and just want a bit more poke from a remap and a set of wheels you like, it's fine.

If you're planning for it to be the base of a 'modified car' and something to throw money at with intakes, exhausts, suspension etc. as well, then you'd probably be better off starting with something more performance oriented - if nothing else you start on a better footing in terms of general setup, looks and accessories.

It's all relative though - there are plenty of people out there who would question why someone bothers throwing money at a vRS when they could go and buy an S4. There would be someone who would question those people as to why they threw money at an S4 when they could buy an RS6 etc. etc. - You get the picture. For some people the enjoyment is in the modification and personalisation, rather than the end result which may or may not be cost effective compared to buying a better car to start with.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kenai said:

For some people the enjoyment is in the modification and personalisation, rather than the end result which may or may not be cost effective compared to buying a better car to start with

Agree, and good point calling me on the "dismissing out of hand"-type comment, @Kenai - that was me 'projecting' when should have been more objective.

From a technical perspective, I believe there are more available aftermarket products for the higher spec Octavias (i.e. EA888 (2.0L) engines) for engines, suspension etc - than there are for the more 'mass market' models, which might impact your cost / benefit.

Hence my original reply being "what do you want to achieve", as having some set objectives / goals in mind will help to determine what you're willing to spend on any upgrades to get there