Replacing Yeti

awfabia

On 28/02/2023 at 12:27, oldstan said:

I do know from hands-on experience in my former job that sliding sideways into trees and posts is not something you want to do.

How long did you work as a crash test dummy?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

How long did you work as a crash test dummy?

He might have been a wine taster who took his job too seriously 

My brother, when he is drunk, has been known to slide into the odd ditch/wheelie bin/hedge

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Haha 1

Not a crash test dummy or a wine taster, just one of the emergency services who used to cut people like Elanore's brother out of mangled vehicles when they'd come to grief (and, generally speaking, wished they hadn't).

• Like 1

Getting T-boned is likely more common than the sliding sideways into trees and posts. 

ECO Tyres as fitted as OE to many vehicles including big strong / heavy SUV type vehicles probably are a factor in many accidents on roads.

Be that doing a nice slide sideways or just straight on into so unfortunate with a smaller / lighter vehicle. 

Looks like some mght get value out of having invested in All Season / All Weather tyres this coming week. 

12 hours ago, oldstan said:

Not a crash test dummy or a wine taster, just one of the emergency services who used to cut people like Elanore's brother out of mangled vehicles when they'd come to grief (and, generally speaking, wished they hadn't).

My brother wasn't in a car when he slid off. His feet lack traction when he is drunk., 

We have been considering changing our 2 cars (2017 petrol Yeti and 2012 MB E coupe diesel) for 1 car as we don't have a need for 2. 

We have test driven a petrol Karok SEL DSG and frankly it seemed to fit the bill with plenty of boot space, versatility, toys etc and a quiet smooth drive. We also tested a Tiguan but frankly I couldn't warm to it.  The Karok is on a long delivery time so may not be placing an order too soon.  The Yeti is a very hard act to follow!

Any others considered/ bought a Karok or Tiguan able to comment?

Edited by survey

• 3 weeks later...

The recent replacement of the wiring loom on my drivers door remains entirely successful with no glitches having appeared in the weeks since.

Very pleasing and encourages me to hang on to the car  (I did think it might have been the start of a downhill slope and ongoing faults appearing, but apparently not).

I would even go so far as to say if the DSG needd attention at some point I would probably try to seek the best place to have it fixed and would pay to have it done in order to keep the car as long as possible.

My indie tells me it wants new brakes fairly soon but not straight away (the original brakes from new)  and he said he would fix a tiny oil leak on the timing chain cover when he has the car. I can live with that.

BUT.

In connection with a choice of replacement, should the need arise .... as I might have mentioned, I have no wish  (at the moment, anyway)  to give my local VW dealer, with his pointy shoe salesmen, any more of my money and preferred the reception received at the Kia dealer, directly opposite them.

I did, twice, try to get in and out of the Toyota Yaris Cross in the dealer's showroom but the bottom edge of the steering wheel prevented easy ingress, which was a shame,  It was mainly my fault for wishing to have the driver's seat up high. If it was lower I could have got in and out more easily.

However Toyota make a thing called the Corolla Cross and if they ever import it into the UK I would go and have a look in the hope there was a bit more room under the steering wheel and a bit more legroom to stretch out a bit. Other countries have it, but not us.  The dealer said it's due to come, but has no other information. The Mrs. likes the shape of it, and that's half the battle isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@oldstanDid the showroom staff have the steering wheel furthest out and down when you were getting in the Yaris Cross, and did you then move the steering wheel to its higher position.

I was in one the the other week and the wheel was down, as it was when i got in a Kamiq & a Arona and a Karoq. 

I always move the seat back fully before getting in a showroom /demonstrator, try the steering wheels movement, adjust the seat, then try getting in and out cars as i would drive them, then try driving and see what is what.

I can't remember where the wheel or seat was when I approached the car in the showroom but the first thing I ever do when having a sit in a showroom car is slide the seat right back,  raise it to it's highest position and adjust the steering wheel to its highest  (and furthest forward) position. Once I'm in the car I can adjust stuff to suit, but if I can't get in the darn thing then that's aproblem (for me).  And in the case of the Yaris Cross my left leg fouled the bottom of the steering wheel.  And that was the end of my appraisal coz if I can't get it the thing then we don't progress any further.  The Toyota C-HR was better, the Arona, T Cross and T Roc and Ford Puma were better in that regard ,... the Mazda CX30 was awkward (for me) ... and so it goes on ... in fact the best of the bunch remains the Yeti.

I just remembered, The Kia Soul was excellent, and the Mrs loved it too. They only do it in fully electric now.

Edited by oldstan
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first few seconds made me want to abandon the video instantly, but for my interest in the subject I should have done, I managed 3/4 of it and now need to sit down in a dark quiet room for a long time.

How does the guy manage to breath?

Imagine having no choice but to spend time with someone like that :sad:

On 08/03/2023 at 15:32, survey said:

We have been considering changing our 2 cars (2017 petrol Yeti and 2012 MB E coupe diesel) for 1 car as we don't have a need for 2. 

We have test driven a petrol Karok SEL DSG and frankly it seemed to fit the bill with plenty of boot space, versatility, toys etc and a quiet smooth drive. We also tested a Tiguan but frankly I couldn't warm to it.  The Karok is on a long delivery time so may not be placing an order too soon.  The Yeti is a very hard act to follow!

Any others considered/ bought a Karok or Tiguan able to comment?

OK, an update. In the end after much soul searching I bought a Skoda Karok SEL.  We wanted  a car with easy access and the Karok has a similar step in height.  We also needed space for trips to the tip and for suitcases etc when touring abroad.  The Karok seemed to tick most boxes. The car drives really well and is particularly comfortable. Downside is the infotainment system and satnav - typical VW its outdated and not user friendly at all' I have now mastered most of it but even my 10 year old MB was far more advanced in technology.  Another upside was that of my wife all the controls are as per the Yeti. The 1.5 petrol engine is very smooth and economical - over 7K it has averaged a true 48mpg and we have seen 57mpg abroad.  I know its subjective but the Skoda dealers have only a small knowledge of the cars they sell and the customer is left to sort out all sorts of things and despite a totally useless handbook.

• Like 1

I, too, saw the clip and watched a few seconds and turned it off on the basis that (a)  I've got one and, after 12 years with it I know how good it is and (b) I know full well I can't buy a new one - otherwise I would have).

However, I did just watch the whole thing and, to be honest, haven't learned anything I didn't know .... but never mind.

And I still don't know what I'd replace mine with.  A Kia Niro? A Toyota Corolla Cross? (probably not as they seem not to want to let us Brits have one).

How about a new model Duster when it comes out next year?

I don't know. I'll just hang on to mine until something happens to force my hand.  I did start to have doubts when the drivers door wiring loom started disintegrating - but they fixed it and it's fine .... and the other day a pool of water appeared in the front passenger footwell when it rained - but I've not been able to reconstruct the occurrence with a hosepipe so I'll just forget it ever happened.

I guess it's not the worse dilemma to be faced with .... worse things happen at sea (as was graphically illustrated in recent days).

@J.R. Tim is a Briskoda member & that is just his presentation style. 

At least he drove a Yeti and other Skoda as dailies which is more than others that big up the cars and when asked if they actually had one or bought one have to admit they did not.

eg.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/512923-outsider-being-convinced-at-last

Edited by toot

• 2 weeks later...

The only vehicle that comes near compact size and versatility of Yeti seems to be the VW T-Cross. Facelifted model due this year with upgraded interior.

2 minutes ago, Expatman said:

The only vehicle that comes near compact size and versatility of Yeti seems to be the VW T-Cross. Facelifted model due this year with upgraded interior.

I did buy an Karoq in the end. It seems to fit the bill OK.  Rides better than the Yeti.

I had wondered .... but, increasingly, I am disinclined to interact with the sales staff in my local VW place.

I'm uncomfortable in there.

Furthermore they've told me untruths on more than one occasion and some of the staff have demonstrated  levels of product knowledge worthy of a six year old.

What about the Arona?

2 minutes ago, oldstan said:

I had wondered .... but, increasingly, I am disinclined to interact with the sales staff in my local VW place.

I'm uncomfortable in there.

Furthermore they've told me untruths on more than one occasion and some of the staff have demonstrated  levels of product knowledge worthy of a six year old.

What about the Arona?

Absolutely. The sales and service staff are hopeless. 

In my 60 years of buying cars one thing I have learnt is that if you want to find out the details of a proposed new car don’t expect the salesperson to provide them! There are honourable exceptions but no matter what make - and I have bought many and various over the years - salespersons generally are unaware of the technical details of the cars they are selling. Their role and skill is selling the car to you and, most purchasers are as unaware of a cars specs as the salesperson but succumb to the selling skills of the salesperson. I have found the best way is to do diligent research on the models you are interested in first, then take the longest test drive you can over roads you know so you get a feel of the cars driving performance - and then price your chosen car on one of the internet sites and see if your dealer will match it. If not then source from a franchised dealer offering the best deal, your local dealer will be delighted to service the new car because ,often, servicing is more profitable than new car sales and they know you will be back every year. This process has worked for me for many years.

That pretty much sums it up. I agree it's not just VW but it did strike me they have an air of superiority about them. When I walked across the road from VW to the KIa dealer they weren't anything like as bad.

And to make matters worse I happened to ask my trusted independent garage owner in my town ( a small place where I'm treated well and not knowingly ripped off) which makes he would and wouldn't recommend and he immediately said avoid VW and stick with the obvious Toyota, Honda and Kia/Hyundai. I think (hope) he would be honest with me.

I do happen to have a little Hyundai which he looks after and it's done OK .... and he also looks after the 12 year old Yeti and it hasn't had a great deal of work done to it. ..... which proves nothing .... but I do know the VW servicing peopel tried to get me to replace my brakes years ago - and the same brakes are still on there many, miles after. They were simply lying to me. Goodness knows what else they haven't done which they've billed me for. But maybe they're all as bad as each other.

12 minutes ago, oldstan said:

That pretty much sums it up. I agree it's not just VW but it did strike me they have an air of superiority about them. When I walked across the road from VW to the KIa dealer they weren't anything like as bad.

And to make matters worse I happened to ask my trusted independent garage owner in my town ( a small place where I'm treated well and not knowingly ripped off) which makes he would and wouldn't recommend and he immediately said avoid VW and stick with the obvious Toyota, Honda and Kia/Hyundai. I think (hope) he would be honest with me.

I do happen to have a little Hyundai which he looks after and it's done OK .... and he also looks after the 12 year old Yeti and it hasn't had a great deal of work done to it. ..... which proves nothing .... but I do know the VW servicing peopel tried to get me to replace my brakes years ago - and the same brakes are still on there many, miles after. They were simply lying to me. Goodness knows what else they haven't done which they've billed me for. But maybe they're all as bad as each other.

Agreed - but it comes down to the management of the individual dealer location. I have had great service from Skoda and VW as well as Kia and Hyundai. Also had bad service from all - generally not deliberate just careless and thoughtless. Luckily no one has tried to foist unwanted repairs on me!

..as previouslt posted, I made the change last year and after much soul searching ended up with a Kia Niro, (self charging hybrid). So far I have been really pleased, yes the Yeti was a little more practical, but the Niro ticks 95% of all the boxes for me. Definately like the auto, adaptive cruise control, 7 year warrantly and rear camera, and currently averaging around 70mpg (actual).

Edited by Stubod
  • Like 1