Replacing Yeti

awfabia

I have driven the Crosstar and the e-CVT should be tried before anyone decries it.   I happen to like CVT's that work well, and this one does  with the mild hybrid as far as i am concerned.

Soon the 1.0 & 1.5 TSI's from the VW Group will all be mild hybrids when they have a DSG.

12 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I have driven the Crosstar and the e-CVT should be tried before anyone decries it.   I happen to like CVT's that work well, and this one does  with the mild hybrid as far as i am concerned.

Soon the 1.0 & 1.5 TSI's from the VW Group will all be mild hybrids when they have a DSG.

How was the seat height compared with Yeti for ease of entry and exit? Older bones and wife's bad back makes getting into most low hatchbacks more difficult, and climbing up out even more so.

Welcome your thoughts.

49 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Not as high. Easy in and out though because that was how it was designed.

Nearer to a Niro really.

Thanks, as long as it's easy to get in/out then worth our finding a Honda dealer to try. My wife's problem makes a higher seat so much easier to get in/out. It's the big drop into the seat which is the problem.  On the other hand too high a seat is equally difficult for her! The Crosstar being Niro height makes me more hopeful.

..been having a look at Suzuki Vitara and SX4 today...seem very similar, but SX4 seems a bit more "up market" inside. Does anybody who has had a Yeti and gone over to the dark side and got either of these have any views on them?? (Would be a 1.4 Auto, AWD version...probably!?

On 15/12/2020 at 15:51, Stubod said:

..been having a look at Suzuki Vitara and SX4 today...seem very similar, but SX4 seems a bit more "up market" inside. Does anybody who has had a Yeti and gone over to the dark side and got either of these have any views on them?? (Would be a 1.4 Auto, AWD version...probably!?

I went with the SX4 S Cross as it offered considerably better value than an equivalent Vitara and is a bit more roomy.

The 1.4 boosterjet engine is excellent, although I have no experience with Suzuki automatics.

15 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

I went with the SX4 S Cross as it offered considerably better value than an equivalent Vitara and is a bit more roomy.

The 1.4 boosterjet engine is excellent, although I have no experience with Suzuki automatics.

Another consideration is the residuals on the SX4 are (relatively) poor when considered alongside the Vitara.

I paid £18.5k for a pre-reg (0 miles) 2018 manual 1.4 boosterjet all-wheel-drive SZ5 and after almost 2 years / 30k miles AT values it at £10190 Part Ex or £11990 private sale.

Edited by pinkpanther
Spelling

3 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Another consideration is the residuals on the SX4 are (relatively) poor when considered alongside the Vitara.

I paid £18.5k for a pre-reg (0 miles) 2018 manual 1.4 boosterjet all-wheel-drive SZ5 and after almost 2 years / 30k miles AT values it at £10190 Part Ex or £11990 private sale.

Hi PP, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Never looked at the residuals...quite scary!!..not sure I would like £4k per year depreciation...shame as apart from being a little "fugly", the SX does seem a better car, a bit more upmarket and a little bit bigger than the Vitara..:( ...

Interesting that my 5 year old Yeti is a similar value to a 2 yr old Vitara!.....I would definitely consider an SX if I could find a 2 year old one for £11k!..there is one in our local main dealer that is the right spec but they are asking nearer £20k...

I traded my Vitara at almost 5 years old and it was worth around 50% of the price I paid for it new!  I haggled a separate deal on the replacement car so it was a fair price for the Suzy and not overly inflated to get me a 'price to change' :)

It was a diesel and was incredibly economical and very reliable. It's a solid little thing, even if the materials are a bit cheap to feel. It's 4x4 system really works well, although you might not want to go seriously green lane-ing in it due to ground clearance being only a little better than a regular hatch.  

I now have the Hyundai Kona. A bit more premium inside and with a smooth DCT 7 speed box and a decent 4x4 system (centre coupling lock) it's as much 4x4 as I will ever need. The standard spec is huge, but the downside to the car is, in petrol guise at least, the economy is really poor. I have the 177ps version, but even so, it's not great in the mpg stakes. It is rather heavy for a small car too and the extra 4x4 bits probably don't help. It is an incredibly easy car to life with though and would make a superb 'retirement' hatch. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 17/12/2020 at 12:00, pinkpanther said:

Several years and 57k miles later and it's time to move on!

The SX4 averaged 40 mpg in mixed driving and the only mechanical failure was a leaking seal on the 4WD system (out of warranty unfortunately, but relatively inexpensive to fix at the main dealer).

Not a car I'll remember with particular fondness, but dependable family transport.

I decided on a 2WD Karoq 1.5 as it's replacement and can only hope it is as reliable as the Suzuki🤞

On 08/12/2022 at 08:51, pinkpanther said:

Several years and 57k miles later and it's time to move on!

The SX4 averaged 40 mpg in mixed driving and the only mechanical failure was a leaking seal on the 4WD system (out of warranty unfortunately, but relatively inexpensive to fix at the main dealer).

Not a car I'll remember with particular fondness, but dependable family transport.

I decided on a 2WD Karoq 1.5 as it's replacement and can only hope it is as reliable as the Suzuki🤞

My Fiat Sedici (SX4) 4x4 diesel was superbly reliable as well as capable in the snow (electronic switch to lock centre diff clutch thingie). Reliable, economical and not a great thing to live with on a cold start, owning to the inability to go into first without graunching until the gearbox had warmed a tad :D. The interior was incredibly low rent with hard plastics, but there again, nothing fell off or stopped working. As a cheap car, it was unbeatable.

I got mine at 6 months old, 4k miles and it was £8K cash, reduced from £16K new. 50% depreciation in 6 months! The previous retired owners, had bought it new, full price and hated the car with a passion almost from the point of getting it home. A Honda garage then sold them a nice Jazz (comfy, soft and light to drive - the correct car for them) but could only offer book for the Fiat. They sold the Fiat for list price they told me, the lady of the retired couple, bursting into tears at the eye watering waste of money the Fiat had instantly become. I bought the car for it's SIV (£8K) and a couple of bottles of whisky - for the salesman and the manager. I was sorry to hear of the couple's plight, but in truth, the Fiat was a great workhorse of a little car, but the market didn't quite pick up on that. I also hope the salesman that sold them the expensive, rattly diesel, 4x4 Fiat, that was not what they really wanted, has a terrible career, He deserves one. I suspect the couple had never driven the diesel version and apparently they didn't know they had a 4x4 either. Shameful sales behaviour.

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

..well after 2 years of looking I finally took the plunge in July and got a Niro (2) Self charging hybrid. Ended up buying "new" as I was struggling to find any 2nd hand ones at a sensible price, (some of the 1 year old ones were virtually the same price as a new one!). 

I would have liked a higher spec (level 3), but again could not find any, (they now have a new model out). I was extremely sceptical about "self charging" hybrids and thought they were just a gimmick, but I have been proved wrong as so far I have averaged 65mpg (actual), compared to around 40mpg (actual) with my Yeti, (1.4Tsi AWD).

What do I like about the Niro?.....fuel economy, auto box, adaptive cruise control, reversing camera, soft/comfortable ride, OK space and a 7 year warranty. (All items I would now want on any replacement).

What do I  miss about the Yeti?....More practical/space (removable seats), "solid / quality" feel, heated seats, but what I don't miss is the continual worry that the sunrrof might leak, and VAG's reluctance to accept any responsibility/costs for some basic design/manufacturing problems.

Originally I said that if they still made the Yeti I would probably have bought another one, but after owning a Niro I am now not so sure I would, and I will certainly be considering another Niro as and when I change the current one, (although hopefully not for a few years yet?). All in all, I am well pleased with my final decision to get a Niro and have no regrets.

Over 2 years of looking I had considered, (and test driven):- Suzuki Vitara, (my original favourite), Seat Arona, VW T-Cross, Mazda CX 30, Toyota Yaris Cross, (which I may well have bought, but 10 months waiting list put me off, and after a test drive the Niro felt nicer).  

Edited by Stubod
  • Like 1

Interesting review Stubod, thanks.

Coincidentally I have a new Niro 3 hybrid on order. I’ve got around the problem of replacing my 12 year old 140bhp 4x4 Yeti (which I’ve had from new) by keeping it as a second family car, it’s too good to get rid of!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have tested a lot of alternatives but after each test drive I was happy to get back into my Yeti. Long and short is I have decided to keep the Yeti for a long time yet. It is a late 2017 model with all the extras including heated windscreen, electric memory seats, leather interior (great for my wife to ‘slide’ into the seat), rear view camera etc. Okay it doesn’t have the new electronic aids like Lane Keeping Assistance etc. but I keep reading conflicting reports about their value and disadvantages as well as advantages. Dealer maintained since new, 44,000 miles only and returns 44.6 MPG true average over the 44,000 miles. , drives beautifully.

Long internal debate but only reason for wanting to change is that it is 6 years old, honestly not a good reason and as I can’t find a ‘better” replacement I will keep the Yeti.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Paul52 said:

Mine will be 10 years old in May and I've no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future. By coincidence the motoring columnist in The Oldie was discussing changing cars and came to the conclusion that in most cases repairing the car you have will be cheaper than the cost of change. And as pretty much all "modern" cars have all the gadgets most people could reasonably want or use (and I can't be alone in having extras that I never use) all the time a car meets your needs is there is any real benefit in changing? 

The only disadvantage of an older car is that inevitably something is going to ‘break’. My solution is to make sure car is serviced and inspected by dealer regularly and to action preventive maintenance - check battery capacity, check dampers (UK roads hammer dampers) and joints and replace as necessary. Modern cars well maintained should easily exceed 100,000 miles without major problems.  Then at some time in the far future recognise when the car has reached the end of its cost effective life and then replace it.

That needs to be a good dealership with good workshop staff, and that is rare.

A good Independent that actually does Preventive Maintenance and inspections, services brakes etc and chargers a fair price for a job well done is a better bet. 

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736 (1).jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, toot said:

That needs to be a good dealership with good workshop staff, and that is rare.

A good Independent that actually does Preventive Maintenance and inspections, services brakes etc and chargers a fair price for a job well done is a better bet. 

Agreed, you need a garage and team you can trust. Whether that is Independent or main Dealer depends on the people working there. Once you have found a good team stick with them.

• 1 month later...

In my recent thread about the wiring loom in my Yeti drivers door I wondeed if the broken wires where the door opens and closes was the start of a downhill slope and made me wonder if I needed to look at a replacement for the Yeti.

I said a Yaris Cross might look suitable and that a Seat Arona might too.

I can't go much wider than 1800mm due to the garage door width hence looking only at cars that physically fit.

I had high hopes for the Yaris Cross but the fact of the matter is ... when I raise the drivers seat to the height I like to sit at my left knee got wedged under the steering wheel as I tried to leave the vehicle. The wheel was at it's highest setting and was pushed as far in towards ther dash as it would go.  I also wasn't impressed by the flimsy construction of the boot floor and the load space cover ... but that wouldn't have been terminal, but the cramped driving position was.  I must remember that the Cross is based on a standard Yaris and a Yaris isn't a big car (neither, however, is the Yeti but it "feels" a lot roomier inside.  Anyway, that was the end of that.

A Seat Arona didn't have that problem, it had space for a spare wheel too and it ticked a fair number of boxes, but did feel a bit small compared to the Yeti. Decent price though and I wouldn't discount it completely. It does have the DSG box though, which, despite a fairly trouble free life in the Yeti, still worries me.

The VW showroom didn't have a T Cross to sit in.

The T Roc might be an option - similar footprint to Yeti but not as high but it has a DSG box too andI'd have an automatic whatever I chose.

Both the VW and the Seat have three year warranties but can be extended to five for around £300 - £400.

Which brings me on to the Kia Niro.  It was me who suggested to Graham (above) that he look at a Kia Niro ... he hadn't considered one until I mentioned it but he went on to buy one (he never did come back to me to acknowledge what a darned decent chap I was to suggest it) 😒.

The new Niro is bigger than the old one but still just about fits the garage (length and width) and the hybrid nature of the thing might suit our shorter journeys as well as the occasional longer ones and it hasn't got a DSG box plus the dealer is conveniently situated and collects and delivers for services too.  I'd only get the base model (which they call "2") ... it has 16" wheels and doesn't have as much electronic trickery.  The waiting time for one is about 7 months (that probably means 8 though). but I can wait.

I don't imagine anyone has a new one but if they have now's the time to say so 👍

I honestly don't know whether it's better to pay cash or have a PCP. I would intend keeping it for as long as possible (I've had the Yeti for 12 years). Advice welcome on that point.

Edited by oldstan

Oops!! 
Sorry Stan, my apologies.
Now done 45k miles in the Niro and we are very happy with it. The gearbox is very similar to the DSG, just that it is called a DCT by Kia and they don't seem to have the problems that get reported about the DSG in VAG vehicles. Haven't had a good look at the new model yet but didn't think it was that much bigger than mine.
And there are plenty of toys on the 2!

EDIT
Buy it on a PCP and then pay it off within a month.

Edited by Llanigraham

11 hours ago, oldstan said:

Which brings me on to the Kia Niro. 

The new Niro is bigger than the old one but still just about fits the garage (length and width) and the hybrid nature of the thing might suit our shorter journeys as well as the occasional longer ones and it hasn't got a DSG box plus the dealer is conveniently situated and collects and delivers for services too.  I'd only get the base model (which they call "2") ... it has 16" wheels and doesn't have as much electronic trickery.  The waiting time for one is about 7 months (that probably means 8 though). but I can wait.

I don't imagine anyone has a new one but if they have now's the time to say so 👍

I'm taking delivery of a new Niro PHEV next Wednesday (March 1st new registration).  Mine is the 4 trim level,  so full spec with the fully electric adjustable seats which also automatically slide back when you are getting in/out of the car for extra room, one of our reasons for choosing the 4, as we both have old-age joint issues!  I'll report on our impressions when we have had the car for a few days.  One drawback with the PHEV is that the boot is a bit shallower due to the presence beneath of the traction battery (no spare wheel option) but my rollator fits in for everyday use,  and for holiday travel we'll put the rear seats down (only the two of us). 

IMG_0159.jpeg

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, oldstan said:

Which brings me on to the Kia Niro.  It was me who suggested to Graham (above) that he look at a Kia Niro ... he hadn't considered one until I mentioned it but he went on to buy one (he never did come back to me to acknowledge what a darned decent chap I was to suggest it) 😒.

Been in my Kia Niro 2 (the newest one) since the end of October (I’ve got the hybrid version, not full electric) and done 7k miles in it…… it does have plenty of electric trickery…. So much so we’ve called it “Robot” (the registration number is the real reason for the name RO72VOP but still apt!) 

I’m not a fan of the ‘box myself. Feels more like an old-school auto box vs the modern DSG in the VAG’s.

Does what it wants in manual mode and the engine very often will sit at 4k going up hills on motorways etc due to lack of grunt. Doesn’t make for a relaxing motorway journey if I am honest. I won’t put it in manual mode anymore as it’s so poo. 

Fuel economy sucks on a run, too. Did Bristol to Cornwall the other week for work with cruise set at 72 and managed 43mpg! I’ve found that on a motorway run it switches to electric charge mode often as the battery isn’t big enough to cope and needs frequent recharging. Superb fuel economy driving around Bristol city, which is where this hybrid is best used. Easily get 70mpg around town. Overall economy (calculated) is 53mpg, 54 shown on the dash trip computer. 

Got plenty more to say about it and had considered leaving a review but didn’t think there would be any interest 😛 

52C4BCBA-C1E4-4CB8-8531-633ABA37665D.jpeg

• Like 3

Thank you for the above, two, posts.

Yes, Titanium, I'd be very grateful to read your in depth thoughts.  Given that the thread is entitled "Replacing Yeti" and has had plenty other makes suggested I can't imagine any reason not to.

And I look forward to the further thoughts from Zarniwoop too.  (I'm guessing that's a Steel Grey one?)  Did you look at all the other colours in the flesh?  My choice would be Steel or Interstellar or Green - I haven't seen any of them for real yet.

Speaking only for myself I would have preferred the dimensions (the shorter length suits me better)  of the T Roc and I love the way the DSG drives ... but not the way it has failed some owners and the cost of fixing it out of warranty. I like the 7 year warranty, as opposed to a 3 year warranty. And I still haven't forgotten the VW diesel debacle.

I have conveniently placed dealers for servicing both the VW and the Kia. 

If you go by Drivethedeal pricing the higher discount on the T Roc means the 1.5 DSG Style T Roc costs much the same as a Kia Niro 2. 

The Kia's Hybrid engine would suit my short journeys better than the T Roc.

So it will be seen there are similarities between the Niro and the T Roc. hence my being interested in what others have to say.

Ta muchly.

EDIT ... I forgot to ask what finance was used (if I may ask such a personal question) ... cash versus PCP.  I'm too thick to be able to work out which would cost me the most after, say, 7 years of ownership.  I paid cash for the Yeti and, 12 years on, I can't imagine PCP would have done me any favours. But maybe things have changed.  I would be looking at paying DOUBLE for the new car compared to what I paid in 2011.  But have you seen the price of fish lately? 😀

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1