Replacing Yeti

awfabia

On 26/07/2023 at 22:05, Lady Elanore said:

Thank goodness, I was worried my Lamborghini might have been damaged. Don't care so much if the Bentley is a gonner though.

Only 85 Lamborghinis on there 😮

On 25/07/2023 at 21:36, Prezafab said:

What are you going to do to protect the lower doors from rust ? We've had paintwork on three of our Yetis in the same places from the paint chip / bleed issue. I don't think you can do much other than deal with quickly?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply Prezafab. Do you mean the inside of the lower doors if so then I'll be injecting the Bilt  Hamber S50 which I'll also use for all cavities. On the outside of the doors the only problem areas are the very bottom corner which tends to come into contact with the low wall each side of our driveway; I simply touch these up with matching paint as I do with the few stone chips; the outer bodywork still looks like new. The bottom door drains need to be kept open.

After a lot of thought I reluctantly decided to cancel the rustproofing feeling rather sorry for inconveniencing the garage. Given our usual Yorkshire dire climate and the need to pressure wash under the Yeti then I'm sure it would never dry sufficiently in two days before applying the rustproofing  hence speeding up rusting. Assuming we do get some decent dry weather then I can do the job bit at a time; I had considered having the Yeti pressure washed then bringing it back home to completely dry then return it for the rustproofing to be applied however what If I run through a puddle or another wet source; GRRR what a climate.

I also want to wash and dry the Yeti because I've bought this and want to try it out;

£22.95

I might have mentioned we love our Yeti.

Kind regards, Colin.

It was the outside of the rear doors, yes. They tend to bubble up from under the paint - probably 'road rash' as the cause, but there's lots in the archive here about how the doors were originally treated.

Its definitely the weak spot, but last year's workshop visit cost a fair £250 for a rear door respray and a new plastic film for the rear door/arch edge.  I can live with that now and again because Yetis have very few failings.

Bilt Hamber stuff is great. Try that carnuba infused wax twice a year. Has won the Auto Express awards for years, and isnt priced like a beauty cream!

Edited by Prezafab
  • Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 13:55, J.R. said:

Zinc inclusions.

That's the stuff !

Looking at some of the old threads, it seems I'm not alone in accepting it as an Achilles heal, and just getting it properly repaired so it should last as long as possible.

Hi,

On 28/07/2023 at 11:41, Prezafab said:

It was the outside of the rear doors, yes. They tend to bubble up from under the paint - probably 'road rash' as the cause, but there's lots in the archive here about how the doors were originally treated.

Its definitely the weak spot, but last year's workshop visit cost a fair £250 for a rear door respray and a new plastic film for the rear door/arch edge.  I can live with that now and again because Yetis have very few failings.

Bilt Hamber stuff is great. Try that carnuba infused wax twice a year. Has won the Auto Express awards for years, and isnt priced like a beauty cream!

Thanks Prezafab; I'll pay special attention to the areas you mention; this morning I watched a YouTube video showing how to remove a Yeti door panel wondering if it would be easy then I'd have better access to inside the door for applying rustproofing; I think it will be easier and quicker just to drill and plug. Since buying the rustproofing the car has seldom been dry; here in Yorkshire it's rained again overnight and put an heavy shower down this morning; it's very overcast so more rain yet to fall? My garage was converted to my workshop years ago it's full of machines and benches hence the Yeti sleeps out so I'm hampered by bad weather; good job it's classed as summer?

What I see of Bilt Hamber products having watched YouTube videos it's all top quality whichever is chosen;I'm too bogged down with central heating boiler problems to concentrate on anything; two weeks hassle two service engineers called the problem still with us. Much better than the horrendous fires abroad; I'll put up with rust and rain rather than suffer such disaster.

For years I firstly used Showroom Shine then Williams both having carnauba;

image.thumb.png.1d01413ef753c22b774a72ae804ab317.png

I think I paid over £20 a few years ago for 5L and still have lots left; it's incredibly easy to apply and buff up but I find it doesn't last long although freshly applied it does look good. I want to use the Bilt Auto Balm but the rain won't let me.

Kind regards, Colin.

33 minutes ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Thanks Prezafab; I'll pay special attention to the areas you mention; this morning I watched a YouTube video showing how to remove a Yeti door panel wondering if it would be easy then I'd have better access to inside the door for applying rustproofing; I think it will be easier and quicker just to drill and plug. Since buying the rustproofing the car has seldom been dry; here in Yorkshire it's rained again overnight and put an heavy shower down this morning; it's very overcast so more rain yet to fall? My garage was converted to my workshop years ago it's full of machines and benches hence the Yeti sleeps out so I'm hampered by bad weather; good job it's classed as summer?

What I see of Bilt Hamber products having watched YouTube videos it's all top quality whichever is chosen;I'm too bogged down with central heating boiler problems to concentrate on anything; two weeks hassle two service engineers called the problem still with us. Much better than the horrendous fires abroad; I'll put up with rust and rain rather than suffer such disaster.

For years I firstly used Showroom Shine then Williams both having carnauba;

image.thumb.png.1d01413ef753c22b774a72ae804ab317.png

I think I paid over £20 a few years ago for 5L and still have lots left; it's incredibly easy to apply and buff up but I find it doesn't last long although freshly applied it does look good. I want to use the Bilt Auto Balm but the rain won't let me.

Kind regards, Colin.

I use that brands concentrated screen wash - can highly recommend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Our Yeti rustproofing under way

150403114_Rustproofing_0008.JPG.bf4683f0a4f250a2790a3fef1869427c.JPG

7 years old it was rusting badly.  

1773775335_Rustproofing_0013.JPG.dd7894ec29d18724dc876425b379db14.JPG

This looks much better.                                                                                                                                                                                     

2145411621_Rustproofing_0017.thumb.JPG.fbf3192183a268b37cdc86804ec174cb.JPG

This Bilt Hamber isn't cheap but well worth it.

Rustproofing under both front wings has taken two days; wire brushes; scrapers; and coarse abrasive paper were used to remove loose rust; items not to be sprayed were masked off;  pedal bin liners were perfect to cover the brake disks and was secured with masking tape; other areas covered with paper and cloth; an old heavy duty lined curtain protected the driveway; it's an incredibly messy; sticky job. The axle stands I bought through eBay still haven't arrived so I used two trolley jacks for safety; one under the jacking point on the cill the other very near under the chassis; both wheels on the opposite side were chocked with bricks.

The wing liners were fun to remove having found all 19 T25 Torx screws but a great deal more fun to replace; I've ordered new screws and fasteners and will replace all once they arrive; I'm going to try these stainless self tappers and bought 50 to experiment with;

image.png.0b1d562059f384ec3ab07f21db52eec6.png

I'm not in a hurry but am worried about our usual dire wet climate; I hope the rain holds off for another two days; if I get all four under wings done I'll be happy but I'd like to rustproof the cavities too.  I emailed the eBay seller of the Bilt Hamber asking if it had a shelf life but fortunately the reply was good news; 7 years if in the container. White spirit gives easy clean up; I'll start on the rear end tomorrow; it's tiring work and for a change it's been 25C today so no complaints from me; fingers crossed it will last. This is the story so far.

115161854_Foampacking_0001.JPG.976960c76ef79d067543293499b29d64.JPG

Before I forget; I was discussing rust proofing with a local top end car restoration guy and he told me he gets lots of VW's in with rotten front wings stating there's a large foam packing piece glued to the under wing at the top; this is shown above removed from our Yeti and both are now removed; these accelerate rotting.

Kind regards, Colin.

Edited by Fabcol
Image titles.

Hi,

Thanks Prezafab; I'd rather have slightly more sound than rusted out front wings.

I misunderstood the jacking points shown in the owners manual; I've now found the correct jacking points; using a tape measure with the end of the tape abutting the mud flap there is a triangle on the underside of the cill; at the front the triangle is 3.5" towards the rear and 1" from the bottom flange; at the rear measured from the mud flap it's 11" to the triangle and again 1" from the bottom flange; these triangles aren't easy to see but they stand slightly proud of the cill and can be felt with fingers.

The Met office forecast was for rain this morning so where is the rain; we've had a few drops  that's all; why oh why do I keep falling for these forecasts; I could have done the last wing this morning; I bet though if I start after dinner it will bucket down.

image.png.db67131be4a17c5a23238e3d4c029eec.png

The clips on the Yeti are poor and rusting so I bought 50 of these and they sure are very strong; I'm giving them a good dose of rustproofing so these together with stainless screws should last a while.  They are so strong they're a pain to install. Some of the original T25 Torq screws are badly rusted.

Kind regards, Colin.

8 minutes ago, oldstan said:

I think not.

Closest I can see to a replacement Yeti is the facelifted VW T-Cross, slightly smaller but has that same ‘bigger inside’ feel. I looked at the pre-facelift but the low grade interior put me off, all reports of the facelifted T-cross praise the upgraded interior. Will have to wait till I see one in the metal but could be an acceptable substitute - I doubt whether anything could supplant the actual iconic Yeti though but age wearies all, including the Yeti. I must admit I am toying with the idea of keeping it as well as getting a newer vehicle!!!

1 minute ago, Expatman said:

Closest I can see to a replacement Yeti is the facelifted VW T-Cross, slightly smaller but has that same ‘bigger inside’ feel. I looked at the pre-facelift but the low grade interior put me off, all reports of the facelifted T-cross praise the upgraded interior. Will have to wait till I see one in the metal but could be an acceptable substitute - I doubt whether anything could supplant the actual iconic Yeti though but age wearies all, including the Yeti. I must admit I am toying with the idea of keeping it as well as getting a newer vehicle!!!

Sensible thinking.  As opposed to the two submissions in the previous post (which, I'm sure, were posted in jest).

I'm on record as saying I wouldn't darken the doorstep of my local VW (and Skoda) dealer ever again after they fed me untruths whilst wearing pointy shoes.

But I, too, saw the reference to the forthcoming facelifted T Cross and it did make me wonder.  When it does come out I would feel obliged to go back to the Seat dealer and compare the new T Cross with an Arona.  Both have the 1.5 engine available with DSG and both would allow the purchase of extra warranty.

If the VW did appeal enough to warrant purchase I would probably ameliorate  my stated disapproval of the local VW place by going to Drivethedeal and getting whatever discount was available at the time from them - but use the local deal;er for servicing/warranty.  That'll teach 'em.

10 hours ago, oldstan said:

Sensible thinking.  As opposed to the two submissions in the previous post (which, I'm sure, were posted in jest).

I'm on record as saying I wouldn't darken the doorstep of my local VW (and Skoda) dealer ever again after they fed me untruths whilst wearing pointy shoes.

But I, too, saw the reference to the forthcoming facelifted T Cross and it did make me wonder.  When it does come out I would feel obliged to go back to the Seat dealer and compare the new T Cross with an Arona.  Both have the 1.5 engine available with DSG and both would allow the purchase of extra warranty.

If the VW did appeal enough to warrant purchase I would probably ameliorate  my stated disapproval of the local VW place by going to Drivethedeal and getting whatever discount was available at the time from them - but use the local deal;er for servicing/warranty.  That'll teach 'em.

You could also try Carwow, simpler and you deal directly with the supplying dealer.

Worked for me, local dealer couldn't match Carwow quote but I've had all servicing etc done excellently by the local dealer. 

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

I have considered replacing my Yeti. 11 year old Mk 1….140 TDI 4x4 bought from new.

The thing is, the Yeti MK1 is still today the best looking and most practical car in its class. I really do think that.

In fact it looks better today than when it came out.

Mine has war scares so I think I will just invest in some cosmetics and make it brand new again.

There is nothing on the market that I would replace it with.

The MK1 Yeti is a little classic so I would think hard before replacing it.

Just my 5 pence worth.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, oldstan said:

As opposed to the two submissions in the previous post (which, I'm sure, were posted in jest).

Slightly tongue in cheek perhaps but in jest, absolutely not. Were I looking for a Yeti replacement, which I'm not, then both would definitely be on my list of possible candidates.

If the quirkiness of the Yeti is one of it's appeals then the Toyota outdoes it in spades. 

I wonder do you say the same about the Kia Soul which has previously been mentioned?

I saw one of those Toyota FJ s parked on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the US, years ago. Had a good look, and thought it was style over substance to be honest, even back then.

The more I look at Yeti used prices and think about what it's very good at, the more I think we'll spend some money on keeping it in good condition (including the inevitable rust spots on the rear doors!)

My other half would be happy with the heated seats, better Sat nav and heated windscreen in the L&K, but I'd be paranoid about a leaky panoramic roof...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KiNeL said:

Slightly tongue in cheek perhaps but in jest, absolutely not. Were I looking for a Yeti replacement, which I'm not, then both would definitely be on my list of possible candidates.

If the quirkiness of the Yeti is one of it's appeals then the Toyota outdoes it in spades. 

I wonder do you say the same about the Kia Soul which has previously been mentioned?

No, strangely enough, I don't say the same about the Kia Soul.  I was in one just a few weeks ago and could easily have been tempted had they still made one with a petrol or petrol hybrid engine, but they don't, and I don't want an EV.

The Toyota FJ . :-

* Isn't available in the UK (and isn't manufactured anywhere any more) and most of the subscribers to Briskoda who have been discussing the alternatives to the Yeti are in the UK.

* It's got a 4 litre engine in it which does 16 miles per gallon.

* It's 4670mm long and 1900mm wide compared to the Yeti which is 4223mm long by 1793 mm wide.

The Jeep is much nearer the mark except in the UK it generally gets poor reviews for being less safe, less reliable and less acceptable to drive ON the road. It does, however, get praised for its OFF road performance and it's better than average ability to wade through deep water.

I quite like the Subaru XV, the jacked up Impreza, but the petrols are anaemic and the diesel was only great while it worked. I've had a few Subarus and when the dealer shakes their head about the tiny battery on the e-boxer version, you know they've missed a trick. It could have rejuvenated the brand in the UK...

Superb in snow and on rough tracks though, and a bit elevated.

• Like 1

Among the many failings, deficiencies and shortcomings I can claim to have acrrued in life is "being the last to find out what everyone else already knows".

And when I said earlier that I might re-investigate the pros and cons of a Seat Arona alongside the forthcoming facelifted T Cross when it arrives I wasn't, at the time, aware that there has been a fair smattering of speculation that Seat might not be around in its present form for ever.  I shouldn't sound surprised  - if Woolworth's can go down the drain then so can just about anyone. Wilko apparently included.

So perhaps The Arona might not be shortlisted after all.

It still pains me to think I might have to run the gauntlet of sharp suited, smarmy, pointy shoe'd, ill informed individuals sitting condescendingly at their laptops and iPhones in brightly lit, anonymous establishments with VOLKSWAGEN adorning their fascias.

But, I guess worse things happen at sea. Just look at the Fremantle Highway.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, oldstan said:

Among the many failings, deficiencies and shortcomings I can claim to have acrrued in life is "being the last to find out what everyone else already knows".

And when I said earlier that I might re-investigate the pros and cons of a Seat Arona alongside the forthcoming facelifted T Cross when it arrives I wasn't, at the time, aware that there has been a fair smattering of speculation that Seat might not be around in its present form for ever.  I shouldn't sound surprised  - if Woolworth's can go down the drain then so can just about anyone. Wilko apparently included.

So perhaps The Arona might not be shortlisted after all.

It still pains me to think I might have to run the gauntlet of sharp suited, smarmy, pointy shoe'd, ill informed individuals sitting condescendingly at their laptops and iPhones in brightly lit, anonymous establishments with VOLKSWAGEN adorning their fascias.

But, I guess worse things happen at sea. Just look at the Fremantle Highway.

Oldstan - one advantage of Carwow - or other on-line tool - is that you don’t have to sit across from a salesman who very obviously knows much less about the car you are interested in than you! It always amazes me just how little salespeople generally know about the cars they are selling, although tbh I have encountered in my years of buying cars a few, a very few, notable exceptions. I am one of those people who have studied a possible purchase in depth, read the road tests, crawled through the options list, studied the technical data etc. etc. So all I need the salesman for is to arrange a test drive then do the paperwork without trying to sell me ridiculous add-ons. Using Carwow (or other online system) I just input the exact spec I want and wait for the quotes to arrive. As it’s all done remotely you can avoid much - but sadly not all - of the sales chatter.

• Like 2