Replacing Yeti

awfabia

As COVID and homeworking become the new normal, my Yeti has done so few miles compared to it's previous it probably thinks it's been sold to a new owner - a 90 yr old pensioner who only goes to the supermarket in it once in a blue moon.  I think it'll be staying on the driveway until I go fully electric, and may keep it a while after that as I like it so much.  In fact, if my mileage doesn't increase again to previous levels, I might not replace it at all unless it rusts into the ground.

My Fabia had about 140k on it when I traded it in with only a little oil leakage from somewhere around the engine, the sump gasket I think - but not 100% certain - seemed to be from there, and some minor rust around the number plate lights,  Just checked with DVLA and it's still Taxed and MOT'd and soldiering on with its new owner.  The Yeti only has about 44k, with current COVID mileage only around 4k/year, so should be good for another 25+ years at that rate!

Edited by widdershins
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, widdershins said:

As COVID and homeworking become the new normal, my Yeti has done so few miles compared to it's previous it probably thinks it's been sold to a new owner -

Well done something similar.

After our first two Yet's I had a spell in Octavia, BMW and Jaguar. As I'm a key worker (Power Generation) I've worked more this year than and summer before. On top of that we are banned from car sharing so my mileage doubled to 20k miles a year.

The Jaguar had been fairly unreliable and the cost of 19" tyres, expensive servicing and winter approaching got me thinking about the only SUV I've enjoyed and yes another Yeti. 

So I purchased a 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG with just 18k miles and 2 year Skoda warranty. I fully thought I'd be doing 20k miles a year.

And just after collection work wanted me visit other sites and gave me a van.  So the Yeti is parked up all week.

• Sad 1

Hi all, was fully intending to change my Yeti this year as I need an automatic, but at a complete loss as to where to go now. In reality we have only done a couple of thousand miles so far. I was originally looking at a Seat Arona but not that keen. I also fancied a Suzuki Vitara as they offer a none dsg auto variant which appeals, however these seem to be almost as rare as my Yeti when I was originally looking for one, (do not want a hybrid which all the new Vitara's are now). 

Now looking at the Suzuki SX which I believe is the same basic running gear as a Vitara but is a little bigger and there seems to be better availability for this model? (Although not that keen on the front end looks, but when I am driving it I would not be able to see it :)  ).

Just wondering if anybody has made this "swap" and would be able to comment.

...my Yeti is coming up to 5 years old at the end of this year but has not yet hit 25k...so may end up keeping it if I can't find anything suitable. 

Edited by Stubod

5 hours ago, Stubod said:

I also fancied a Suzuki Vitara as they offer a none dsg auto variant which appeals, however these seem to be almost as rare as my Yeti when I was originally looking for one, (do not want a hybrid which all the new Vitara's are now). 

https://ucl.suzuki.co.uk/cars/used/approved/suzuki/vitara/gearbox/automatic

11 pages of Autos??

5 minutes ago, Stubod said:

...sorry, should have added 1.4 and awd....

Ah I see...   There's about a dozen on the first three or four pages that are 1.4 boosterjet allgrip autos from what I can see but all will be pre reg as all Suzuki's are now mild hybrid iirc.

For info I have a swift hybrid and it really is an excellent system and a great little car...

• Like 1

On 02/10/2020 at 11:36, Stubod said:

Hi all, was fully intending to change my Yeti this year as I need an automatic, but at a complete loss as to where to go now. In reality we have only done a couple of thousand miles so far. I was originally looking at a Seat Arona but not that keen. I also fancied a Suzuki Vitara as they offer a none dsg auto variant which appeals, however these seem to be almost as rare as my Yeti when I was originally looking for one, (do not want a hybrid which all the new Vitara's are now). 

Now looking at the Suzuki SX which I believe is the same basic running gear as a Vitara but is a little bigger and there seems to be better availability for this model? (Although not that keen on the front end looks, but when I am driving it I would not be able to see it :)  ).

Just wondering if anybody has made this "swap" and would be able to comment.

...my Yeti is coming up to 5 years old at the end of this year but has not yet hit 25k...so may end up keeping it if I can't find anything suitable. 

I thought I'd comment on my experience wrestling with the Yeti replacement conundrum.

I've had 4 Yeti's now (1 1.2 TSi, 1 2.0 TDi 110, 1 2.0 140 and my current 2.0 170).

When my previous Yeti 2.0 TDi TdF 140 BHP (with a Shark remap) reached ~85k miles I decided to make a change and test drove all the usual alternatives, but found none really fitted the bill.

I did think of keeping the Yeti, but them spotted a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross (when purchasing a SEAT Mii for my daughter) and after a spot of research (and test drive) decided to buy it.

It was a pre-reg (4 months old) but had sat in the showroom and had just a handful of miles when i collected it.

We've owned the Suzuki since February 2019 and in that time have covered 26k miles. The car averages ~40 MPG (see here: https://www.fuelly.com/car/suzuki/s-cross/2018/pinkpanther/895445).

It has required a replacement rear axle, due to uneven tyre wear. I had noticed a droning from the rear end and noticed the outer edges of both rear tyres were becoming feathered. I read on-line both the Vitara and SX4 suffered with a misaligned rear axle and mentioned it during the car's second service. I had expected a "they all do that sir" response, but instead a replacement (along with 2 new Continental tyres) was approved by Suzuki and fitted within 1 week.

My particular car is a SZ5 1.4 petrol (AWD), so features heated leather, LED headlights, keyless entry, Sat nav (easily updated to include Android Auto), Panoramic roof, Auto-dimming rear view mirror and Autonomous cruise control / emergency breaking. The headlights in particular are excellent and far superior to the Xenon's in my current Yeti Elegance.

The 1.4 Boosterjet engine is rated a 140 BHP and felt very similar to the 150 BHP 1.4 TSi Yeti L&K I test drove. It is relatively quiet and cruises at 2500 rpm @ 70 mph.

I found Suzuki's in general have a relatively tinny / lightweight build quality, but aside from the replacement rear axle it has proved reliable over 26k miles.

Headroom with the panoramic roof is especially limited in the rear, but it's a sacrifice I'm happy to make for the large expanse of opening glass.

After owning the SX4 for >1 year I actually purchased another Yeti (on here) and remembered just what a great car they are, especially in 4x4 170 BHP form:thumbup:

The service intervals for Suzuki are 9k miles / 1 year, so given my relatively high mileage it's soon due to undergo it's 3rd service, before it's 2 years old.

The frontal styling of the SX4 is certainly challenging, but as a pre-reg (for just over £18000) it offered a well specified petrol manual 4x4 at a decent price and I now plan to run it for a few more years.

I did take a look at a Dacia Duster, but by the time I'd specced the top 4x4 model it was barely cheaper than the SX4 and the interior was considerably poorer than the Suzuki,

The Yeti is definitely a difficult car to replace, so much so that I had to have another one!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

I thought I'd comment on my experience wrestling with the Yeti replacement conundrum.

I've had 4 Yeti's now (1 1.2 TSi, 1 2.0 TDi 110, 1 2.0 140 and my current 2.0 170).

When my previous Yeti 2.0 TDi TdF 140 BHP (with a Shark remap) reached ~85k miles I decided to make a change and test drove all the usual alternatives, but found none really fitted the bill.

I did think of keeping the Yeti, but them spotted a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross (when purchasing a SEAT Mii for my daughter) and after a spot of research (and test drive) decided to buy it.

It was a pre-reg (4 months old) but had sat in the showroom and had just a handful of miles when i collected it.

We've owned the Suzuki since February 2019 and in that time have covered 26k miles. The car averages ~40 MPG (see here: https://www.fuelly.com/car/suzuki/s-cross/2018/pinkpanther/895445).

It has required a replacement rear axle, due to uneven tyre wear. I had noticed a droning from the rear end and noticed the outer edges of both rear tyres were becoming feathered. I read on-line both the Vitara and SX4 suffered with a misaligned rear axle and mentioned it during the car's second service. I had expected a "they all do that sir" response, but instead a replacement (along with 2 new Continental tyres) was approved by Suzuki and fitted within 1 week.

My particular car is a SZ5 1.4 petrol (AWD), so features heated leather, LED headlights, keyless entry, Sat nav (easily updated to include Android Auto), Panoramic roof, Auto-dimming rear view mirror and Autonomous cruise control / emergency breaking. The headlights in particular are excellent and far superior to the Xenon's in my current Yeti Elegance.

The 1.4 Boosterjet engine is rated a 140 BHP and felt very similar to the 150 BHP 1.4 TSi Yeti L&K I test drove. It is relatively quiet and cruises at 2500 rpm @ 70 mph.

I found Suzuki's in general have a relatively tinny / lightweight build quality, but aside from the replacement rear axle it has proved reliable over 26k miles.

Headroom with the panoramic roof is especially limited in the rear, but it's a sacrifice I'm happy to make for the large expanse of opening glass.

After owning the SX4 for >1 year I actually purchased another Yeti (on here) and remembered just what a great car they are, especially in 4x4 170 BHP form:thumbup:

The service intervals for Suzuki are 9k miles / 1 year, so given my relatively high mileage it's soon due to undergo it's 3rd service, before it's 2 years old.

The frontal styling of the SX4 is certainly challenging, but as a pre-reg (for just over £18000) it offered a well specified petrol manual 4x4 at a decent price and I now plan to run it for a few more years.

I did take a look at a Dacia Duster, but by the time I'd specced the top 4x4 model it was barely cheaper than the SX4 and the interior was considerably poorer than the Suzuki,

The Yeti is definitely a difficult car to replace, so much so that I had to have another one!

I remembered I'd written a little about my SX4 experience here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/463233-im-now-yeti-less/

5 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

I remembered I'd written a little about my SX4 experience here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/463233-im-now-yeti-less/

The "fleet" - I did also have a lovely old S-type Jag, but got bored with endlessly putting fuel in it.

IMG_20200913_182959.jpg

• 2 months later...

A bit left field but a friend has just got a Honda Jazz Crosstar, the Crosstar seems to come with all the extras included, I haven’t seen it yet but it has a raised driving height (not sure what 'raised' means in this case) and is a hybrid offering up to 60 MPG. Road Tests are encouraging and reliability of the Jazz has been excellent, it also has the very flexible rear seat system  - anyone else seen/looked at one? New on road so not many around as far as I can tell.

5 hours ago, Expatman said:

A bit left field but a friend has just got a Honda Jazz Crosstar....anyone else seen/looked at one? New on road so not many around as far as I can tell.

Not your fault Expatman, but following this up leaves me with raised blood pressure.  Should I chose to do so, I could wander into a Honda showroom and expect to be shown an actual metal, plastic, glass and rubber example of this vehicle, even have various openings opened for inspection and/or entry.  All without enquiry about me from staff (unless they are the snobby sort).  Yet if, as in this instance, I have a passing interest in seeing what my Yeti friend is talking about and activate a Google search, the first half-dozen targets - manufacturer, magazines and dealers alike - all want me to waste my time filling in damned forms relating to cookies before they will let me in.  I refuse to do it.  They want my interest/money?... they should make me welcome, not give me an application form.

:@

Rant over...

36 minutes ago, Brijo said:

Not your fault Expatman, but following this up leaves me with raised blood pressure.  Should I chose to do so, I could wander into a Honda showroom and expect to be shown an actual metal, plastic, glass and rubber example of this vehicle, even have various openings opened for inspection and/or entry.  All without enquiry about me from staff (unless they are the snobby sort).  Yet if, as in this instance, I have a passing interest in seeing what my Yeti friend is talking about and activate a Google search, the first half-dozen targets - manufacturer, magazines and dealers alike - all want me to waste my time filling in damned forms relating to cookies before they will let me in.  I refuse to do it.  They want my interest/money?... they should make me welcome, not give me an application form.

:@

Rant over...

Use Chrome browser and the incognito tab, that deletes cookies when you close the browser so you are not in anyone's form. Also if you use YouTube you don't have to fill in any forms.

Like you I get really annoyed by the way some websites want your details when all you're doing is browsing. Don't they realise this really p****** people off?

I may be wrong but I think the need to accept or modify cookies is a legal requirement that came in a couple of years ago. Until then companies just downloaded them to your computer etc. and you were never the wiser. Now we are told about them and worry. Such is progress.

But on a related subject the one that gets me hot under the collar is where simply to find out the price of something a company expects you to register, fill in name, address, email etc., stopping short only of sacrificing your first born (all presumably to enable them to send you lots of unwanted advertising in the future) before telling you either the item is out of stock or is wildly over-priced. My attitude is if you make it this difficult for a potential customer at the enquiry stage what will you be like if, having bought it, it goes wrong and I have to deal with you. I then look elsewhere. 

And back to the thread........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul52 said:

I may be wrong but I think the need to accept or modify cookies is a legal requirement that came in a couple of years ago. Until then companies just downloaded them to your computer etc. and you were never the wiser. Now we are told about them and worry. Such is progress.

Correct, so it is pointless moaning about it.

9 hours ago, Expatman said:

A bit left field but a friend has just got a Honda Jazz Crosstar, the Crosstar seems to come with all the extras included, I haven’t seen it yet but it has a raised driving height (not sure what 'raised' means in this case) and is a hybrid offering up to 60 MPG. Road Tests are encouraging and reliability of the Jazz has been excellent, it also has the very flexible rear seat system  - anyone else seen/looked at one? New on road so not many around as far as I can tell.

Sen one in a dealers in Belfast when buying a previous model Jazz for my mother in law...   The new Jazz is pretty horrid to look at inside and out IMHO.  It's also a CVT as far as I remember and is expensive for what it is.  The old model Jazz is much nicer (my mum also has one in top spec)

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Sen one in a dealers in Belfast when buying a previous model Jazz for my mother in law...   The new Jazz is pretty horrid to look at inside and out IMHO.  It's also a CVT as far as I remember and is expensive for what it is.  The old model Jazz is much nicer (my mum also has one in top spec)

Thanks - but you seem to be at odds of with every review I've watched or read!  Jazz has always been CVT transmission but reviews generally agree it has been much refined in the new version, particularly using the 2 electric motors. Haven't seen the inside 'in the flesh' but that's always a matter of personal opinion.

I agree it seems expensive but if you spec up any small crossover to the Crosstar standard spec then you are looking at £25k plus and often over £27k. Try speccing a Kamiq and you'll see what I mean.

12 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Thanks - but you seem to be at odds of with every review I've watched or read!  Jazz has always been CVT transmission but reviews generally agree it has been much refined in the new version, particularly using the 2 electric motors. Haven't seen the inside 'in the flesh' but that's always a matter of personal opinion.

I agree it seems expensive but if you spec up any small crossover to the Crosstar standard spec then you are looking at £25k plus and often over £27k. Try speccing a Kamiq and you'll see what I mean.

Maybe I am but just my opinion having had a good look around one.  It really didn't appeal.  And that's from someone with experience of three of the recent versions of Civic and two versions to the Jazz, which also points to the fact that Honda build quality isn't what it was.

However take a closer look yourself as your opinion may be completely different.

3 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Maybe I am but just my opinion having had a good look around one.  It really didn't appeal.  And that's from someone with experience of three of the recent versions of Civic and two versions to the Jazz, which also points to the fact that Honda build quality isn't what it was.

However take a closer look yourself as your opinion may be completely different.

Thanks - it’s always good to get the opinion of someone who has personal experience of the cars and the make. 

Luckily I am not in a hurry to change my Yeti as it’s just coming up to 4 years old and I generally keep vehicles for between 5 and 6 years. Just looking around to see what there is out there and, frankly, while there are many small SUV/Crossovers now none of them really appeal to me. Skoda Kamiq has too low a driving position, VW T-Cross and T-Roc are too basic inside with few options available. Audi - just NO.

Anyway I will wait and see what 2021 brings!

..still looking to change mine, originally planned to earlier this year but then something got in the way. Just coming up to 3 years of ownership, (car 5 years old).

Just booked it in for it's annual service and MOT and noted (like most people), that we have only done 3.5k since last year!

(Been advised I need to replace the rear brake discs even though the car has only done 25k miles, but I understand this is normal and probably due to lack of use, and I am a very gentle braker, so been advised to drive with the handbrake on occasionally).

Still struggling to find a suitable alternative though. The indie I use for servicing has a nice low mileage 2017 1.2 SEL dsg in stock but price seems a little high, and next month it will be "4 years old", (which is a little old for me). However I still haven't found anything I like as much as the Yeti.

I am still considering a Vitara, but few and far between, (AWD auto, non hybrid). Have considered the S Cross...but a bit "fugly"? I also think the T-cross is a bit too basic and did consider the Audi Q2, but these seem to be silly money.

Running out of options really!...any other suggestions welcome!!

I was in a Kia Ceed yesterday. The neighbour has owned it for a year having stepped down from a 2L diesel to this 1L petrol. I was very surprised. Fit and finish are good although some plastics as in every vehicle now a bit hard. Nice seats, comfortable, lots of toys, boot about same as Yeti. Foe a 1L petrol I was amazed at how refined and willing the engine was. The 1.4L would be worth a look if you are not after 4wd.

Colin

• Like 1

..ta for the Kia heads up..just had a quick look. Amazing how their prices have gone up!   £27k+ for a decent spec.

Not too bothered about another 4*4 now, think I would rather save some money and just get a decent set of Winter Tyres for the white season...just wished they had made the Yeti for another year or two!

Edited by Stubod

20 minutes ago, Stubod said:

..ta for the Kia heads up..just had a quick look. Amazing how their prices have gone up!   £27k+ for a decent spec.

Not too bothered about another 4*4 now, think I would rather save some money and just get a decent set of Winter Tyres for the white season...just wished they had made the Yeti for another year or two!

We all wish Skoda had updated the Yeti, something like the T-Cross but with Kamiq interior and options!

Have you looked at the Honda Crosstar, a tad smaller than Yeti but includes all the options? I am hoping someone has tried one because I can't find one to look at with current restrictions and I would value other Yeti owners views.

...for me I think Honda (designs), lost the plot a while ago....and as for CVT...no thanks....(again I accept that is just my view...CRV is OK but just a tad on the large size for me).

I like the look of the new Volvo smaller SUV...but being new a premium price.

May have a look at the Mazda CX30, just that Mazda seem to prefer more cc's rather than small engines with Turbo's..

Edited by Stubod