Replacing Yeti

awfabia

Just now, Prezafab said:

Changing the subject, what do ex Yeti owners think of the Karoq ?

We have both.  My 2016 SE L Drive 150 TDI remapped to c. 185 manual 4x4 Yeti and my wife's 2019 SE L 190 TDI DSG 4x4 Karoq.  Both are very good in their own way but the Karoq is much more modern, refined, smooth and particularly comfortable over long distances. 

36 minutes ago, Prezafab said:

Like a Tiguan ? We had a couple of current generation  company ones that rode well, even on big wheels.

Having previously had three first generation Tiguans in a row in the days when my wife was doing 15 k miles per annum for work, we tested the new generation Tiguan before we bought the Karoq.  

It's a bit bigger and there was more wind noise.  It was also going to be much more expensive.   In 2019 we couldn't get the spec we wanted to come in under £40k.

We walked into the local Škoda dealership on spec, told the DP who we'd known for years that we wanted a rare 190 TDI Karoq and he said, "I've just taken delivery of a new one".  I wasn't keen on a white one, even if it was specced up with leather, heated screen, flappy paddles

and spare wheel but the price was right.  He knocked £4k off the top even before we asked.  I suspect it was a cancelled order that he thought he might have difficulty shifting.  

It's been great even if it is good at eating tyres and brakes when driven enthusiastically.   Wheels...?  It came on 18's and it's inherited the Audi Q3 17's with Dunlop D5 Winter Sport which I previously had fitted to the Tiguans for the winter. 

Edited by Schtum

Yes, we couldn't justify the price for a decent used Tiguan - we had a 190 diesel and the 180 2.0 petrol.

The Karoq looks much better value used at about £14/15k than a 2017 Yeti. We'd probably go for the 1.5 DSG FWD although we've been used to a TDI dsg 4x4.

I'll have a look on the Karoq forum if I dare (!) But you sound positive after the move from the Yeti?

13 minutes ago, Stubod said:

..I assume that VAG have now sorted the earlier problems they had with the 1.5 petrol engine???

Yes, with the new Mk2 engine.

• Like 1

Here's a thought after all the discussion re tyres and rims and Carlston suggesting changing the lot for smaller ones...   Why not just fit the same size tyres but of an all season type to the rims fitted to the car on delivery...   That's what most normal people will do instead of faffing with new steel rims and different tyre sizes. 

And if the tyre size isn't available they might go 10mm wider or narrower to suit. 

Edited by skomaz

17 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Here's a thought...   Why not just fit the same size tyres but of an all season type to the rims fitted to the car on delivery...   That's what most normal people will do instead of faffing with new steel rims and different tyre sizes. 

And if the tyre size isn't available they might go 10mm wider or narrower to suit. 

Coz, as I tried to say a bit earlier, when you look at the size that was shown on the video clip I spoke about  (215 60 18) there are hardly any alternative tyres in that size and if you use an online tyre calculator there aren't any compatible alternatives (or, shall we say, I couldn't see any) ..... I might be wrong, as I've readily admitted. But, subsequently, I said above that I saw a different YOUTUBE  clip where there WAS a different tyre size shown on the test vehicle (215 65 18) and that size DOES have readily available and sensibly priced alternatives including All Season.

As you will know there are defined recommendations as to how far you can allow the tyre diameter to deviate.  OTOH it's 2.5%

Like I said, I wish I'd never mentioned it.

Edited by oldstan

33 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Here's a thought after all the discussion re tyres and rims and Carlston suggesting changing the lot for smaller ones...   Why not just fit the same size tyres but of an all season type to the rims fitted to the car on delivery...   That's what most normal people will do instead of faffing with new steel rims and different tyre sizes. 

Great idea. Adding 10mm to the standard 215/60R18 would solve the problem of non-available all season tyres. Not cheap though at about £150 each tyre.

Continental AllSeasonContact 2 225/60R18 100H

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Continental/AllSeasonContact-2/225-60-R18-100H-EVc/D-127997

Outside diameter of tyre

215/60R18 715.2mm

225/60R18 727.2mm (+1.7% bigger outside diameter compared to 215/60R18)

Edited by Carlston

That's good, I accept I overlooked the 225 size (I did say I might well be wrong didn't I?)

But why quote My Tyres and have them sent from abroad AND pay extra on top of their quoted price to have them fitted locally when, for example, you could go for Goodyear Vector Gen3 for £144 FITTED?

In any event, I'm off to bed.  I got COVID three days ago and am feeling its effect a bit.

Goodnight to you all.

Edited by oldstan
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Prezafab said:

Yes, we couldn't justify the price for a decent used Tiguan - we had a 190 diesel and the 180 2.0 petrol.

The Karoq looks much better value used at about £14/15k than a 2017 Yeti. We'd probably go for the 1.5 DSG FWD although we've been used to a TDI dsg 4x4.

I'll have a look on the Karoq forum if I dare (!) But you sound positive after the move from the Yeti?

It's not a move from the Yeti for us since we still have both of them.  I bought the Yeti after my wife purchased the Karoq.  I originally bought it to supplement my MK5 Golf GT TDI as I wanted something to tow a couple of trailers when my wife was at work.  Then I sold the Golf...

The Yeti is remapped, has been fitted with bigger brakes, has XDS enabled and has had the rear seats pretty much permanently consigned to the garage.  I use it to pull the trailers and as a quick little van.  

We've had the Karoq now for just over 4 years and just over 30k miles because my wife no longer uses it for work.  I'm particularly keen on it because it goes, stops and handles really well for what it is.  I'm still considering having it remapped to c. 230 bhp.   All of those things are true because it's a 4x4.  I particularly dislike tall FWD cars.  I see regular complaints of wheel spin when pulling away from owners of FWD Karoqs, particularly 1.5 TSI DSG models.  I'm not surprised since they have the style of an SUV but not the functional ability.  Tall cars inevitably suffer from greater rearwards weight transfer when driven briskly.  This reduces front wheel traction, especially on the OEM economy spec tyres on which they're supplied from new.  My son's partner bought a new FWD 1.5 TSI Audi Q3 which spent most of its time flashing its ESP light when driven anything like briskly.  He eventually reined in some of that in by fitting a full set of Michelin CrossClimate 2 but it still does it to a lesser extent.  

If you're at all a keen driver, I'd suggest you test any FWD Karoq quite extensively before purchasing one.  The other factor is that unlike the fully independent suspension on the 4x4 models, the FWD cars have the semi independent torsion beam rear suspension and don't ride so well. 

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, oldstan said:

...But why quote My Tyres and have them sent from abroad AND pay extra on top of their quoted price to have them fitted locally...

The link was to give an example of a 225/60R18 tyre, not to promote mytyres or any other tyre seller.

I would have linked to camskill instead, but they aren't currently listing the latest Continental AllSeasonContact 2 in that tyre size.

Edited by Carlston

9 hours ago, Schtum said:

It's not a move from the Yeti for us since we still have both of them.  I bought the Yeti after my wife purchased the Karoq.  I originally bought it to supplement my MK5 Golf GT TDI as I wanted something to tow a couple of trailers when my wife was at work.  Then I sold the Golf...

The Yeti is remapped, has been fitted with bigger brakes, has XDS enabled and has had the rear seats pretty much permanently consigned to the garage.  I use it to pull the trailers and as a quick little van.  

We've had the Karoq now for just over 4 years and just over 30k miles because my wife no longer uses it for work.  I'm particularly keen on it because it goes, stops and handles really well for what it is.  I'm still considering having it remapped to c. 230 bhp.   All of those things are true because it's a 4x4.  I particularly dislike tall FWD cars.  I see regular complaints of wheel spin when pulling away from owners of FWD Karoqs, particularly 1.5 TSI DSG models.  I'm not surprised since they have the style of an SUV but not the functional ability.  Tall cars inevitably suffer from greater rearwards weight transfer when driven briskly.  This reduces front wheel traction, especially on the OEM economy spec tyres on which they're supplied from new.  My son's partner bought a new FWD 1.5 TSI Audi Q3 which spent most of its time flashing its ESP light when driven anything like briskly.  He eventually reined in some of that in by fitting a full set of Michelin CrossClimate 2 but it still does it to a lesser extent.  

If you're at all a keen driver, I'd suggest you test any FWD Karoq quite extensively before purchasing one.  The other factor is that unlike the fully independent suspension on the 4x4 models, the FWD cars have the semi independent torsion beam rear suspension and don't ride so well. 

Yes, good point 're the suspension on 4x4 variants.

The option choice that frustrates me is that I can't select a smaller wheel size with higher spec vehicle variants. They let you choose bigger wheels with lower profile tyres on lower spec vehicles so why not smaller wheels with higher profile tyres on higher spec variants?

• Like 4

When I replaced my Yeti I went for a Kia Niro self charge. The poverty spec model came with smaller (16 inch) wheels which I prefered for comfort and economy, (and cheaper tyres). I would have liked a higher spec model, but these all had larger (17 inch) wheels, and as above, there were no options to change the wheels on the higher spec models to make them the same as the base model? Assuming they all have the same size discs etc. I can't see why this would be a problem??

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stubod said:

Assuming they all have the same size discs etc.

autodoc lists 280mm and 305mm front brake discs for various models of Kia Niro.

15" wheels should clear 280mm front brake discs, and 16" wheels should clear 305mm front brake discs.

So as 16" wheels are the smallest standard size on the Kia Niro, they should fit all models.

Edited by Carlston

7 hours ago, Stubod said:

When I replaced my Yeti I went for a Kia Niro self charge. The poverty spec model came with smaller (16 inch) wheels which I prefered for comfort and economy, (and cheaper tyres). I would have liked a higher spec model, but these all had larger (17 inch) wheels, and as above, there were no options to change the wheels on the higher spec models to make them the same as the base model? Assuming they all have the same size discs etc. I can't see why this would be a problem??

It is worth mentioning that on both my Yeti’s the dealer told me I couldn’t have 16” wheels with the SEL trim. I called Skoda (UK) and after some debate they told me to place the order with my dealer and they would intercept the factory order and change the wheels from 17" to 16” with higher profile tyres. The order went through and both times I collected the car with 16” wheels as promised. Hence an original member of the 16” club!

Recently I have found VW and others refusing to change the wheels for a smaller size although entry level models all had the size tyres I prefer. How difficult can it be to bolt on different size wheels at the factory?

• Like 4

On 11/01/2024 at 22:29, Expatman said:

...How difficult can it be to bolt on different size wheels at the factory?

Additional admin and handling costs, I suppose?  Similar to restocking charge for returned goods?  Some will, some might, some just won't.

2 hours ago, Brijo said:

Additional admin and handling costs, I suppose?  Similar to restocking charge for returned goods?  Some will, some might, some just won't.

You're right. But if you can have larger wheels as an option why can't you have smaller wheels as an option? Bearing in mind the state of our roads higher profile tyres much preferable to cope with potholes etc.

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Expatman said:

You're right. But if you can have larger wheels as an option why can't you have smaller wheels as an option? Bearing in mind the state of our roads higher profile tyres much preferable to cope with potholes etc.

Because there's more profit to be made in selling you larger wheels and tyres....🤭

15 minutes ago, Schtum said:

Because there's more profit to be made in selling you larger wheels and tyres....🤭

But with a bit of clever marketing they could offer smaller wheels with more attractive alloy designs. Base models with 16” wheels tend to have basic alloy designs - no black highlights or diamond cut finishes - so put those more “up market” designs as an extra cost option  and make money both ways!

You are in a small minority of buyers I'm afraid. Most still want large or larger, and as rightly said above, the manufacturers are all about maximising profit. My personal favourite example is when Skoda started charging for spare wheels because their weight 'harmed fuel emissions figures' 😉 

That trend, like bigger wheels, is now pretty common practice. I just bought a 3 year old Audi which has standard fit 20 inch alloys and a big empty molded space under the boot floor for a spacesaver. I got a never used oem wheel and tyre for £150 that Audi want over £500 for new...

9 hours ago, Prezafab said:

You are in a small minority of buyers I'm afraid. Most still want large or larger, and as rightly said above, the manufacturers are all about maximising profit. 

Bearing in mind the state of UK roads and the widely reported expensive damage to low profile tyres and large wheels caused by potholes etc., as well as the far better ride comfort, you would hope that buyers would be educated to the benefit of higher profile tyres. Of course car salespersons push bigger wheels to increase profits and fail to explain the drawbacks, so nothing changes until they make smaller wheels equally financially attractive to salespersons. Don’t hold your breath!