Replacing Yeti

awfabia

They changed how car tax worked.

EG wifes last 63reg Fabia was £20, my 14reg Greenline Yeti was £30, and at the time a Ford Mustang was £1150! for each year from new.

Now for cars registered after April 2017, such as wifes 68reg citigo, my 2017 Yeti and newer mustang are all £150 per year from year 2. However there is a surcharge in the first year for larger engine/dirty cars, my Yeti was £200 when new? Mustang is well over £1k.

So buying secondhand you need a pre april 2017 Greenline or equivalent if going for a Yeti, whereas for the Mustang you need a post april 2017 car where the original owner paid the surcharge, and ongoing is only £150/year.

Mind you the equivalent of current Yeti with more powerful engine is I think £185/year so again go post April 2017 for one of thise if you can.

However can you even have one of those Tuk's new in UK as they are possibly too dirty to meet the requirements? I suspect you would have to bring in a second hand one and try and register it, but not certain you would be allowed to?

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, Colin.  I looked into Tuk ownership myself a few years ago - and for similar reasons (the f- word!).  Although I didn't research Tuks as deeply as you have, I came to a similar conclusion - particularly in respect of their legality in the UK.

Maybe nothing will ever be as much fun as an A10 combo.  Mine had a Busmar York sidecar on a Watsonian chassis.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 09:30, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Thanks TruckbusUK. When in Rome do as the Romans do?

With most modern cars mostly being clones one of many things I like about the Yeti is its street presence. A Tuk would also have such street presence it looking a great deal different to most other vehicles. It's not just looks but I'm an ex biker and aged 16 way back in 1963 I passed my motorcycle test riding a BSA 650cc A10 Golden Flash combination with double adult sidecar; the rain was coming down like pencils the examiner stopped me around the course and asked if he could get into the sidecar which he did. A Tuk would be interesting it being half bike half car and if I chose the Tuk pick up truck it would also be highly useful. At the moment I'm dithering whether to buy a Tuk;  The Yeti turns into a decent sized van and would carry more weight than a Tuk but I can't load full sized sheet material or longish lengths of timber into the Yeti; I've considered buying a trailer or roof racks for the Yeti but neither of these would have the fun aspect of owning a Tuk? I'd like to rebuild a Tuk but old Tuk's are commanding high prices so by the time such a Tuk is bought plus parts and many hours labour brand new Tuks make more sense. I'm not in a panic so can take my time before deciding.

As the title of this thread is Yeti Replacement I'm just adding my thoughts because how many who love their Yeti realize they could retain their Yeti and run a second car for what it would cost to trade in a Yeti against a brand new car; it's a good option?

Kind regards, Colin.

Just a thought 

21DEAB7C-A3CD-4F5A-86D8-2045C5CFC69B.png

799ABEB3-8694-45E0-8AC0-FCC481C4DAC6.png

• Like 2

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread. 

4 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

They changed how car tax worked.

EG wifes last 63reg Fabia was £20, my 14reg Greenline Yeti was £30, and at the time a Ford Mustang was £1150! for each year from new.

Now for cars registered after April 2017, such as wifes 68reg citigo, my 2017 Yeti and newer mustang are all £150 per year from year 2. However there is a surcharge in the first year for larger engine/dirty cars, my Yeti was £200 when new? Mustang is well over £1k.

So buying secondhand you need a pre april 2017 Greenline or equivalent if going for a Yeti, whereas for the Mustang you need a post april 2017 car where the original owner paid the surcharge, and ongoing is only £150/year.

Mind you the equivalent of current Yeti with more powerful engine is I think £185/year so again go post April 2017 for one of thise if you can.

However can you even have one of those Tuk's new in UK as they are possibly too dirty to meet the requirements? I suspect you would have to bring in a second hand one and try and register it, but not certain you would be allowed to?

I wouldn't trust any MP even to buy me a bag of sweets because it would end up complicated just like taxing a car.  I don't even think it's about climate change I think its about money?

Yes there are a number of brand new Tuk importers who not only supply standard Tuks but can modify them to a dream machine; they also can make them street legal ready to register as brand new this takes a few weeks for the paperwork to be sorted..

https://www.rickshawrevival.com/

https://tuktukuk.com/ 

Our wonderful Yeti is 2016 so at the moment £30 road which actually surprises me.

4 hours ago, Robjon said:

Thanks for posting, Colin.  I looked into Tuk ownership myself a few years ago - and for similar reasons (the f- word!).  Although I didn't research Tuks as deeply as you have, I came to a similar conclusion - particularly in respect of their legality in the UK.

Maybe nothing will ever be as much fun as an A10 combo.  Mine had a Busmar York sidecar on a Watsonian chassis.

You're very welcome Robjon.  Here in the UK our heavy industry is replaced by small industrial units and the only growth industry is fast food outlets; just how complicated can the government make it to do anything let alone doing something so complicated as buying a Tuk. Even when legal if anyone wants to be the slightest bit different it costs large amounts of money and with loads of paperwork; all I wanted to do was spend some of our hard earned money in retirement to buy the Tuk just for a bit of fun but suddenly just about everyone wants paying off. At my age of 72 with a clean licence I can buy a powerful car easily capable of 150 mph with 0/60 in a blink and receive a big no claims discount but a 40mph Tuk is considered special whereas an invalid scooter cruising at a mighty 5 mph is considered fine? 

Thanks for reminding me;

https://www.watsonian-squire.com/

I used to own a BSA Golden Flash with a "Dustbin" fairing and aged 18 had a 1,000cc Ariel Square Four but I've sidetracked this thread enough so I'd better behave. 

Thanks Sad555; I don't need a pick up truck it was just the Tuk which really did appeal to me it bringing back my biking memories of 50 years ago; what really is sad is how the UK is constantly suppressed by tax; just to buy a bag of nails involves 20% tax so where is the incentive to buy anything; the Tuk I fancied would have tax added to it so now the government have lost this also they've lost the road tax and tax from the insurance company. I don't want to turn this into political debate but this is real life and it's accepted.  Perhaps a company should start up here in the UK manufacturing cheap little runabouts that are not complicated to repair and with virtually no electronics; I don't want to drive around in mission control but our Yeti has lots of things included which I'll never use and even possibly don't even know about; I'm already retired but if I had to sit down and read just about using the Infotainment I'd rapidly age. I'm sure many Kirklees bone shaker passengers would prefer a small easily parked cheap to run three wheeler than travelling on a mobile roadblock which by the way puts out plenty of dirt?

My wife and I when first married owned a second hand Citroen 2CV then later bought a brand new 2CV; we've owned 10 new Micra's; 2 new Toyota Aygo's; new Fabia and our current Yeti bought new and lots of small cars including a Bond Bug. The 2CV's were very enjoyable but were rust buckets.

There's little fun in modern cars all clones of each other other than showing a new number plate to neighbours; who actually enjoys driving these days. Before marrying I owned many cars; big Healey's and Jags etc but out of the cars I've owned I've not had one I liked more than I like our Yeti. Skoda start manufacturing a car that is uncomplicated and cheap to run/ repair and insure similar to the Duster then I might be interest in buying another new Skoda?

What a pity about the Tuk; I almost bought one yesterday.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2

Hi,

A belated thanks for the pictures Sad555 and Roottoot; much appreciated.  Yours looks like a small Tonka Toy Roottoot that will go anywhere. 

I fancied a Tuk Tuk because it's a cross between a motorcycle and a car just being unusual and a lot of fun to own.

• 37 BIDS:£2,450.00
image.png.faab1d680f24df3fb5b5ab7c014fb152.png

Old Tuks command high prices and I'm sure they make excellent restoration projects; I'd enjoy restoring one but haven't got the space.

Kind regards, Colin.

As my post has morphed into a Tuk Tuk discussion ( how? why? ) I'll bring it back to my dilemma of what to replace my 2013 Elegance with. Answer:-  a low mileage 2017 Yeti auto.  Delivery in a couple of weeks.....patience.

I just couldn't find a new plug-in hybrid that ticked all my boxes so will have two or three years for manufacturers to produce what I want.

Thanks for all your replies,  even the Tuk Tuk ones - don't you JUST love Briskoda? 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, awfabia said:

As my post has morphed into a Tuk Tuk discussion ( how? why? ) I'll bring it back to my dilemma of what to replace my 2013 Elegance with. Answer:-  a low mileage 2017 Yeti auto.  Delivery in a couple of weeks.....patience.

I just couldn't find a new plug-in hybrid that ticked all my boxes so will have two or three years for manufacturers to produce what I want.

Thanks for all your replies,  even the Tuk Tuk ones - don't you JUST love Briskoda? 

What engine and trim? 

Expatman - we went for a 1.2 SE L drive in Petrol blue as we wanted leather ( like our Élegance ) and the sat-nav appealed rather than the "trailing wires" Tom Tom. By the way, anyone else had problems with Tom Tom and unable to get any help from them? 

Will offer the Élegance for sale on  here in the "for sale" section as it still looks a treat, 10,000 mile services from new AND electric memory driver's seat. 

20200728_150705.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, awfabia said:

Expatman - we went for a 1.2 SE L drive in Petrol blue as we wanted leather ( like our Élegance ) and the sat-nav appealed rather than the "trailing wires" Tom Tom. By the way, anyone else had problems with Tom Tom and unable to get any help from them? 

Will offer the Élegance for sale on  here in the "for sale" section as it still looks a treat, 10,000 mile services from new AND electric memory driver's seat. 

20200728_150705.jpg

That's the same trim and spec as mine but in Onyx grey. Any extras?

I sometimes use the built-in satnav but usually use Waze or Google maps from smartphone connected with Smartlink so it's on the radio display. I find Waze and/or Google maps often give better routes than the built-in system and traffic alerts are more accurate. It's not that the built-in satnav is poor it's just that the smartphone systems are better.

HI,

I have a Garmin Nuvi sat nav with free lifetime updates I think allowed four times per year; I also have a dash cam it being a Transcend Drive Pro 100; both are run from a 12V splitter plugged into the 12V socket on the gear tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG21Qjfm9EU

Here's the Yeti and dash cam in action almost four years ago on the long steep climb up to Holme Moss; not the easiest of roads in the dark where a sneeze could end up in leaving the narrow road to career a long way to the valley bottom.

Kind regards, Colin.  

On 23/07/2020 at 17:09, Stubod said:

..meanwhile back on thread....anybody considered the Volvo XC40?..good reports but a bit pricy?...

somebody did go to an XC40 last year and gave an initial revue,,,,,,,and posted some pics ,,,,,

47175EA0-722A-4B5B-AB76-23490541CCCD.jpeg

Edited by Sad555

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

somebody did go to an XC40 last year and gave an initial revue,,,,,,,and posted some pics ,,,,,

47175EA0-722A-4B5B-AB76-23490541CCCD.jpeg

Nice but a lot bigger than the Yeti, I think a lot of us are looking for a replacement of about the same size, driving height and trims as the Yeti. The VW T Cross fits the bill except it's so low rent inside - hard plastic everywhere, fabric seats, few convenience extras. Compared to the Skoda Kamiq it's really down market, but the driving height of the Kamiq is like driving a hatchback. Not sure what VAG policy is but clearly they have decided that Skoda's should be better finished than VW's. Why? Perhaps they are trying to force us into Audi Q2!! Good luck with that.

So the search goes on.

• Like 1

Audi Q2, don't bother. Last March I replaced my Yeti and had given it the once over. It had become apparent very quickly that nothing was really out there that with the same appeal and virtues as the Yeti, so I changed direction.

Hybrids don't really make sense to me at present, I was told NO to a diesel by the lovely wife and so looked at petrol. First choice was a Karoq, but it lacked appeal, was expensive and waiting lists long. I ended up with an Audi A3 having discounted the Q2 for interior and boot space, cost and hard plastics. The outgoing A3 has a wonderful interior, was cheaper, available in 1/3rd of the time as a Karoq and has a bigger boot that the Yeti.

I've now had it for 18 months and although I miss my Yeti have fallen for the comfort, quality, refinement and ride. It is also as economical as my diesel Yeti and tows my small caravan better.

Looking back I don't regret changing direction as I still don't believe a Yeti replacement is out there.

Colin

Hi - have had the XC40 for just over a year now. Yes, it is a bit bigger than the Yeti but not a problem for us and the bigger boot is very useful as is the long flat load area when the seats are dropped which takes seconds. Like the Yeti absolutely love it and if it wasn't for the XC40 I don't know what we would have done, probably kept the Yeti longer, because as said there is no real alternative.

I still look at Yetis with affection!

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Hi - have had the XC40 for just over a year now. Yes, it is a bit bigger than the Yeti but not a problem for us and the bigger boot is very useful as is the long flat load area when the seats are dropped which takes seconds. Like the Yeti absolutely love it and if it wasn't for the XC40 I don't know what we would have done, probably kept the Yeti longer, because as said there is no real alternative.

I still look at Yetis with affection!

Chris

Hi Chris - what mileage do you get with your 2 litre petrol XCC40? Did you try the 3 cylinder 1.5 litre by any chance? If I can’t find anything else within next 12 months then probably go for T3 XC40 automatic - there are generally only 2 of us in the car and we don’t tow anything so figure T3 would be ample for our needs. Incidentally I read somewhere that Volvo are planning to launch a smaller SUV to compete with T-Roc, Puma etc. in the next year or so, might watch the press to see if it is just rumour or fact.

Hi - average from when bought is 33.3 mpg (mainly short journeys) according to display and will exceed 40 mpg on a run which for a 2.0 litre petrol with a torque-converter auto and a heavy SUV body is fine for me as not doing the miles anymore.

Didn't try the T3 as was already set on the 4 cylinder (I'm still old school!) but from what I've read the T3 would be fine for our use. Glad we got the T4 though as it's effortless.

The hybrids are now being picked up by customers (too expensive) and already there's been a couple of issues with power delivery when it switches between petrol/electric.

If you haven't looked already XCForums has plenty of discussion on mpg with the diesels getting a bit of a slating. 

What sort of mileage do you do?

Chris

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Hi - average from when bought is 33.3 mpg (mainly short journeys) according to display and will exceed 40 mpg on a run which for a 2.0 litre petrol with a torque-converter auto and a heavy SUV body is fine for me as not doing the miles anymore.

Didn't try the T3 as was already set on the 4 cylinder (I'm still old school!) but from what I've read the T3 would be fine for our use. Glad we got the T4 though as it's effortless.

The hybrids are now being picked up by customers (too expensive) and already there's been a couple of issues with power delivery when it switches between petrol/electric.

If you haven't looked already XCForums has plenty of discussion on mpg with the diesels getting a bit of a slating. 

Chris

Still got that lovely Audi TT?:hi:

Certainly have, that's not going anywhere! Even that will do 40 plus on a run with a bit more power but less weight.

They compliment each other nicely on the drive!

Chris 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Chris

Hi Chris, I do about 8,000 miles a year. A lot of that is local rural journeys of about 10 miles but with occasional 400+ trips to visit relatives in  Cornwall and Dorset. Used to do a lot more miles but being retired mileage is reducing. This year probably do no more than 6k because Covoid has curtailed holidays etc. I like comfort and a higher seating position so we can see better and over hedges!

That sort of use will be right up the T3's street. Mine had only done 4k. odd miles when serviced recently which is lower than expected even though retired and allowing for Covid. I put £40 of BP Ultimate in and it lasts for weeks!

I think I read somewhere as well that Volvo are bringing out a smaller SUV, that will be interesting. I do like the size of the XC40 though.

Chris

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

That sort of use will be right up the T3's street. Mine had only done 4k. odd miles when serviced recently which is lower than expected even though retired and allowing for Covid. I put £40 of BP Ultimate in and it lasts for weeks!

I think I read somewhere as well that Volvo are bringing out a smaller SUV, that will be interesting. I do like the size of the XC40 though.

Chris

How do you find parking? It's wider than the Yeti and I am concerned about the gap between other cars and squeezing out of the door.

Hi - to be honest I try and avoid situations like that as I did with the Yeti but still managed to pick up some scratches and dings. Both cars don't leave much room either side in most of our outdated car parking spaces.

Excluding mirrors the Yeti is 1793 and the XC40 is 1851 so not a great difference, even the Karoq is 1841 but looks small compared with the Volvo because of the higher bonnet line etc.

Like many cars the rear view is more restricted than the Yeti. I specced the rear view camera as a check but mainly use the side mirrors for reversing.

The Yeti certainly is a hard act to follow!

Chris

Edited by VAGCF

I’m surprised members who are looking for a yeti replacement haven’t considered the Dacia duster or Suzuki swift,both these vehicles are not too expensive in comparison and offer similar higher driving position and 4wd options.