Replacing Yeti

awfabia

..yes we are with Admiral multi car, and around £450 for 2 cars, Yeti and MX5...but I am sure the Yeti is only around the £200 mark?..full NCB, (protected)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubod said:

..yes we are with Admiral multi car, and around £450 for 2 cars, Yeti and MX5...but I am sure the Yeti is only around the £200 mark?..full NCB, (protected)

I pay £260 with LVE, living in North Yorkshire with 2 drivers - both in 70’s. I always do a Search for best deals on renewal and compare coverage, price and reviews of the Insurance Company with regard to claims. LVE was ‘best’ deal this year, last year was Direct Line and year before that M&S. 

• Like 1

I'm 68, have a clean licence, no health issues and almost 50 years NCB.  I shop around for insurance every year and the Little Red Telephone continues to be competitive, but I would have to move away from Brum to get the premium below £400.

• Like 2

It’s become bit of a ritual every year unfortunately insurance company put up its premium ,customer shops around online,either changes  company’s or goes back to original to get them to match others,the yeti was with LV under £200 for Fully comp , 2 named drivers And a protected policy I’m happy some people don’t shop around because by them paying high it allows me to get a better price likewise with house ins ,car breakdown cover,etc etc I’m probably paying less per year Now than 15 years ago when not bothering to compare.

• Like 2

On 16/07/2020 at 16:58, Expatman said:

You’ve got the same problem as the rest of us on this forum. Welcome to the “I will have to keep my Yeti Club”!!

Where do I get the membership pack? Mine is now seven years old, the longest I've ever kept a car, and I've no plans to change it in the foreseeable future with any future bills offset by reducing depreciation. Perhaps the "I kept my Yeti" Club will fill the niche role left by the declining membership of the 16" Wheels Special Build Club - I'm guessing we must be down to half a dozen or less by now. Watching the discussions on this forum it's interesting that it's seldom (if ever) Yeti owners make more than an inquiring look at other Skoda models before shortlisting then buying  elsewhere. Kia certainly seem to be benefiting from there being no obvious Yeti replacement from Skoda.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul52 said:

... the declining membership of the 16" Wheels Special Build Club - I'm guessing we must be down to half a dozen or less by now. ....

You're right - less it is.  Although I haven't kept formal track of the ten members, I know that several have stopped posting over the years since 2012/13.  Two or three are still around despite now being Yeti-less.  One person on the list didn't actually take delivery and become a full member; he had another car on order at the same time which was delivered first. 

It's quite possible that you, as the last to join (May 2013), are the last fully-qualified member!   My own qualification (Sept 2012) lies in the 16" wheels themselves, which are now on my later Yeti 1.2 DSG.  Any news welcome, of course...

Edited by Brijo
Added sentence

My second Yeti was the Greenline with 16" wheels, so I know they are better, just didn't thinkl it worth the effort to try and get them fitted on my third Yeti which was nearly one of the last built. Too much risk of the order not being fulfilled, as my wife wanted the L&K, but they stopped taking the orders for that the day before we went in to order one. (Lucky escape from the potential leaks and the yucky brown seats though.

I do have 16" winter wheels now though, so car is comfortable from Nov to March!!

The yeti was/is a great little motor but what with diesel gate and other issues looming sold mine earlier than was planned but thankfulY I did and consider I’ve got a great petrol 2wd replacement For me as vag was and never will be an option ever again onward and upward as they say

D5A9AFC9-1C30-475D-9080-EA267567F5E4.jpeg

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brijo said:

You're right - less it is.  Although I haven't kept formal track of the ten members, I know that several have stopped posting over the years since 2012/13.  Two or three are still around despite now being Yeti-less.  One person on the list didn't actually take delivery and become a full member; he had another car on order at the same time which was delivered first. 

It's quite possible that you, as the last to join (May 2013), are the last fully-qualified member!   My own qualification (Sept 2012) lies in the 16" wheels themselves, which are now on my later Yeti 1.2 DSG.  Any news welcome, of course...

I replaced my 2012 Yeti, which I ordered new with 16” wheels, with a new Yeti SEL Drive in March 2017 - again ordered with 16” wheels. In both cases I placed the order with a Main Skoda Dealer then Skoda (UK) intercepted the order and changed the spec to 16” wheels. Main dealer couldn’t do it hence need to involve Skoda(UK) who I found really helpful both times.

I guess the 16” wheel club is now amalgamated with the 'I will have to keep my Yeti Club’.

• Groan 1

Hi,

This might be a bit different. My wife and I love our 2016 SE L diesel Yeti which has just been serviced and MOT'd with under 25K on the clock. I've looked around because this Yeti now at four years old is the oldest car we've kept since 1990 but there isn't a better car than our Yeti for us; we just love it.

However I'm interested in a brand new Tuk-Tuk pickup truck just for the fun of owning it and for running around locally to places like Wicke's and timber yards etc whilst keeping the Yeti as our "Best" car. A local company were advertising Tuk's on eBay as a dealer and this afternoon I decided to contact them but because I'm now serious I appear to have closed the company down; it's no longer advertising? Has anyone got a Tuk or even driven one;  I could buy a Tuk for less than half the cost to trade the Yeti in for another new car?

Kind regards, Colin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o3KSF_Xtw4

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply and link Roottoot; much appreciated.

The company nearby in Ossett who were advertising new Tuks have disappeared but I've found this company who also are very near;

https://www.rickshawrevival.com/

Piaggio look to be a big and respected manufacturer of Tuks but the Atul Tuk supplier is so local to me it would be much better for after sales etc. At the moment I'm window shopping gathering information before jumping in to buy a Tuk;  our driveway accepts one car so I'd need to widen the driveway.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply and link Roottoot; much appreciated.

The company nearby in Ossett who were advertising new Tuks have disappeared but I've found this company who also are very near;

https://www.rickshawrevival.com/

Piaggio look to be a big and respected manufacturer of Tuks but the Atul Tuk supplier is so local to me it would be much better for after sales etc. At the moment I'm window shopping gathering information before jumping in to buy a Tuk;  our driveway accepts one car so I'd need to widen the driveway.

Kind regards, Colin.

Dont forget with an APE you need to learn to drive like an Italian delivery driver in Rome .... I wanna go over there .... Ciao! 🙂

Edited by TruckbusUK
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thanks TruckbusUK. When in Rome do as the Romans do?

With most modern cars mostly being clones one of many things I like about the Yeti is its street presence. A Tuk would also have such street presence it looking a great deal different to most other vehicles. It's not just looks but I'm an ex biker and aged 16 way back in 1963 I passed my motorcycle test riding a BSA 650cc A10 Golden Flash combination with double adult sidecar; the rain was coming down like pencils the examiner stopped me around the course and asked if he could get into the sidecar which he did. A Tuk would be interesting it being half bike half car and if I chose the Tuk pick up truck it would also be highly useful. At the moment I'm dithering whether to buy a Tuk;  The Yeti turns into a decent sized van and would carry more weight than a Tuk but I can't load full sized sheet material or longish lengths of timber into the Yeti; I've considered buying a trailer or roof racks for the Yeti but neither of these would have the fun aspect of owning a Tuk? I'd like to rebuild a Tuk but old Tuk's are commanding high prices so by the time such a Tuk is bought plus parts and many hours labour brand new Tuks make more sense. I'm not in a panic so can take my time before deciding.

As the title of this thread is Yeti Replacement I'm just adding my thoughts because how many who love their Yeti realize they could retain their Yeti and run a second car for what it would cost to trade in a Yeti against a brand new car; it's a good option?

Kind regards, Colin.

On 21/07/2020 at 22:28, Expatman said:

I replaced my 2012 Yeti, which I ordered new with 16” wheels, with a new Yeti SEL Drive in March 2017 - again ordered with 16” wheels. In both cases I placed the order with a Main Skoda Dealer then Skoda (UK) intercepted the order and changed the spec to 16” wheels. Main dealer couldn’t do it hence need to involve Skoda(UK) who I found really helpful both times.

I guess the 16” wheel club is now amalgamated with the 'I will have to keep my Yeti Club’.

Expatman, what can I say?  Abject apologies 😧 !  With the retirement of The Plumber a while back, you are of course Senior Member of the UK16"SpecialBuildClub, while Paul52 is the last  latest  Junior Member.  I've dug back in the Archives; this was the last list, which was unchallenged at the time:

The Plumber 110 / El / Man / 4 x 4 / Candy White / Nov 10-Apr 11

Expatman 1.2 / El / DSG / 2WD / Lava Blue / Jan 12-Mar 12

My MINI me 140 / El / DSG / 4 x 4 / Silver / Aug 11-Apr 12

SnowYeti 1.2 / El / Man / 2WD / White / Feb 12-Jun 12

Nokiauk 140 / El / DSG / 4 x 4 / Steel Grey / Mar 12-Jul 12

Runswick Stag 110 / SE / Man / 4 x 4 / Steel Grey / Mar 12-Sept 12

Brijo 140 / SE / DSG / 4 x 4 / Muscovado / Apr 12-Sept 12

Vegit8 140 / El / Man / 4 x 4 / Steel Grey / Apr 12-Oct 12

ATCO 140 / El / Man / 4 x 4 / Steel Grey / Jul 12-Oct 12

Paul52 1.2 / El / Man / 2WD / Metallic Green / Mar 13-May 13

It seems that Paul52 is the only member with his original Yeti. 

PS Memory (failing?) says it was Three Horseshoes (?) who didn't take delivery.

Edited by Brijo
PS

5 hours ago, Brijo said:

Expatman, what can I say?  Abject apologies 😧 !  With the retirement of The Plumber a while back, you are of course Senior Member of the UK16"SpecialBuildClub, while Paul52 is the last  latest  Junior Member.  I've dug back in the Archives; this was the last list, which was unchallenged at the time:

I'm not sure if I want to be senior member of anything now! Reminds me of my advancing years. Makes you think that all of us left here are grumpy old gits, like Paul52, and revel in mean habits and extravagances like 2 candles. However, I did trade in my 2012 Yeti for a new Yeti when I heard they were stopping production and I couldn’t see anything better to replace it with, hence my 2017 Yeti SEL Drive. Since then I have been half looking to see what else is available and so far haven’t found anything worth considering which would improve on the Yeti’s features and abilities. Flirted with Kia Niro’s etc. but just didn’t get the feeling, same with Kamiq - really nice in some ways but driving position is poor and spec’d up to my Yeti’s standards is ridiculously expensive. I suppose the new Ford Puma might be worth a look but not yet for a few years.

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul52 said:

by the light of the slightly extravagant two candles I permit myself.

Whatever you do, don't double the number of candles...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stubod said:

..meanwhile back on thread....anybody considered the Volvo XC40?..good reports but a bit pricy?...

Yes, a bit pricy but not too much more than a well specd Kamiq SEL. I think it's a bit too big for me but I read in today's AutoExpress that Volvo is likely to replace the V40 with a smaller SUV to slot under the XC40. Now that might be worth waiting for.

..yes didn't notice the sizes. I am after something similar or a bit smaller, and must be an auto. Struggling to find something suitable at the mo. Had a test drive in an Arona 1.0ltr. Nice drive but not too keen on a DSG type gearbox ref reliability. Have also considered a 2wd Vitara as they still use a more conventional autbox but still seem to offer reasonable economy, but they don't feel as "solid" as the Yeti!

Edited by Stubod

Wow, thanks Yeti folk. What a variety of ideas and suggestions,  never imagined a Tuk Tuk would feature in replies on this subject.  Almost decided on very late used Yeti to tide us over until a plug-in hybrid with raised driving position is on the market. Will keep you posted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubod said:

..yes didn't notice the sizes. I am after something similar or a bit smaller, and must be an auto. Struggling to find something suitable at the mo. Had a test drive in an Arona 1.0ltr. Nice drive but not too keen on a DSG type gearbox ref reliability. Have also considered a 2wd Vitara as they still use a more conventional autbox but still seem to offer reasonable economy, but they don't feel as "solid" as the Yeti!

Anyone tried the new Ford Puma? I have seen a couple on the road and they look about the right size and have had glowing reviews - particularly their small hybrid engine system. However, like Stubold, I would want an auto and the auto on the Puma is only available with a non hybrid assist standard engine which loses the performance and frugality of the hybrid assist engine. Not sure why Ford have fitted an “old” spec engine to the auto version? 

Hi,

11 hours ago, awfabia said:

Wow, thanks Yeti folk. What a variety of ideas and suggestions,  never imagined a Tuk Tuk would feature in replies on this subject.  Almost decided on very late used Yeti to tide us over until a plug-in hybrid with raised driving position is on the market. Will keep you posted. 

It's surprising where threads go with replies. Yesterday I was on the point of buying a brand new Tuk but then thought I'd just check a few things first and I'm glad I did. I'm not an expert on Tuk's just very interested in them and fancied owning a Tuk for fun.  The bits of information I could find is that insuring a Tuk might not be straightforward Tuk's regarded here in the UK as a bit different and the only rough estimate I saw quoted was £300 per year; then the dreaded CO2 emissions; apparently the petrol Tuks are dirty and are quickly being phased out for electric Tuks although diesel Tuks are available but after our UK government got so many into diesel cars because petrol cars were so bad about ten years ago the government have done an about turn so even diesels now are classed as dirty; once we're all conned into buying expensive throw away electric cars electric wil be classed as dirty because electricity has to be generated; anyway I couldn't obtain a road tax figure for a Tuk but guess minimum £150 per year. As usual here in the UK if we want to do anything we need deep pockets; I only wanted a Tuk just to potter around locally in leaving our much bigger Yeti at home thinking a Tuk would be a lot of fun; fun isn't allowed in the UK.  I've abandoned the Tuk idea it's just not worth it.

Unless our Yeti starts to cost a lot in repairs its a keeper my wife and I love it.

Kind regards, Colin. 

• Like 1

Have you looked at a Hyundai Kona?  I did a few days ago with the MIL and was quite impressed with it...   good size and the interior in the higher spec ones was very comfy and plush (but a bit spartan in lower spec ones).  Might be worth a look as they do 2wd 4wd petrol diesel and hybrid modles

• Like 1