New Kodiaq on order since March, anyone care to guess when it'll be built?

5 hours ago, silver1011 said:

That isn't the factory towbar, it's aftermarket.

Not that it excuses the dealer, but it does at least rule out the car leaving the factory with it fitted.

EDIT: actually looking closer I think it is, there looks to be a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter left in the electrical socket which made it look non-genuine.

Does anyone know if this issue has been sorted out yet as ive been looking at Kodiaqs every now and then to replace our Octavia 4x4 but am still interested in diesel and would definitely want a manual 4x4 and would like a tow bar for a bike rack...

You can still legally fit a tow bar to a non-homologated car, you just can't use it to tow.

You can however use it to mount a bike rack.

Skoda won't fit one in the factory for you, but there is a man not very far away from you in Leeds that will fit the factory tow bar for you for less than £800.

Interesting...   im just trying to think through how that would stand insurance-wise if, say an accident occurred when carrying bikes on a towbar mounted rack that wasnt homologated for towing...   sounds like a great get out clause for an insurer...

Basically i cant quite belei e how stupid Skoda were to miss homologating it...   the tarracco doesn't seem to have the same issue but it appears to be more limited in terms of 4x4 drivetrains

9 hours ago, silver1011 said:

You can still legally fit a tow bar to a non-homologated car, you just can't use it to tow.

You can however use it to mount a bike rack.

Skoda won't fit one in the factory for you, but there is a man not very far away from you in Leeds that will fit the factory tow bar for you for less than £800.

Strange that Skoda seem to imply that you cannot fit a tow bar to these vehicles.

23072D58-4B7A-454C-A359-C3E9C9BB7A64.png

It's typical arse covering, it is easier for them to not fit a tow bar to a non-homolgated vehicle than it is to allow the fitment but then add a load of caveats for its proper use, hence their blanket ban.

You can imagine the furore if they allowed a customer to fit a tow bar, but then told them they weren't able to tow with it. Or the potential litigation arising from a different future owner not realising and using it to tow.

It isn't the fitting of the tow bar that's the issue, it's using it to tow. Skoda can't control this once it leaves them so they won't allow for the fitting of a factory tow bar. A bike rack isn't a trailer so fitting a tow bar to a non-homolgated vehicle and mounting a bike rack to it is perfectly legal, at least here in the UK.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, skomaz said:

Interesting...   im just trying to think through how that would stand insurance-wise if, say an accident occurred when carrying bikes on a towbar mounted rack that wasnt homologated for towing...   sounds like a great get out clause for an insurer...

Basically i cant quite belei e how stupid Skoda were to miss homologating it...   the tarracco doesn't seem to have the same issue but it appears to be more limited in terms of 4x4 drivetrains

The fitting of the tow bar to a non-homologated vehicle is legal. Using it to tow is not.

Most insurance companies require their customers to notify them of modifications over and above the standard specifications of the vehicles they insure, including a tow bar.

As long as you're transparent with your insurer and tell them your vehicle is fitted with a tow bar, the bike rack is fitted in accordance with the manufacturers requirements and you're adhering to the law in terms of not putting other road users in danger then you shouldn't have any issues.

If however you're towing a caravan or trailer and have cause to make a claim then expect to be in trouble.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

There is a company in Germany which has produced type approved towbars for cars in the VAG group that were originally not homologated to tow.  I believe that means you are allowed to fit them and tow with them as they are Type approved, but my German is a little rusty.

https://www.kupplung.de/

In my formative years when cars were a means of transport and not a connected lifestyle statement you could buy an aluminium spacer block, one flat face to fit behind the towball the other with a V profile that corresponded to the profile of most rear bumpers, you drilled 2 holes in your bumper and bolted the towball on with extended bolts and hooked up your trailer, caravan or whatever.

Electric socket? What would you need one for, most trailers did not have working lights or even any fitted at all.

I didn't even own an electric drill then and used a hand drill starting with an 1/8" drill bit working progressively up to a 5/8" reduced shank blacksmith drill in a brace & bit.

But those were also the days when a car bumper did what it said on the tin instead of being a piece of painted plastic intended to line the pockets or insurers and paint shops.

36 minutes ago, J.R. said:

In my formative years when cars were a means of transport and not a connected lifestyle statement you could buy an aluminium spacer block, one flat face to fit behind the towball the other with a V profile that corresponded to the profile of most rear bumpers, you drilled 2 holes in your bumper and bolted the towball on with extended bolts and hooked up your trailer, caravan or whatever.

Electric socket? What would you need one for, most trailers did not have working lights or even any fitted at all.

I didn't even own an electric drill then and used a hand drill starting with an 1/8" drill bit working progressively up to a 5/8" reduced shank blacksmith drill in a brace & bit.

But those were also the days when a car bumper did what it said on the tin instead of being a piece of painted plastic intended to line the pockets or insurers and paint shops.

Ha ha. I was going to say those were the days but to be fair, when it comes to protecting the occupants, the bumpers in those days may as well have been made out of papar mache compared to todays technology.

51 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Reminds me of when I was an apprentice,  during night shifts if there wasn’t much work on, our foreman would drive his beetle into the workshop, fasten a sling to his tow bar and raise the car up using the workshop crane and quite happily attend to any jobs requiring done underneath.

They were not there to protect the occupants, they were there to protect the bodywork, for pushing or towing another vehicle to start it, for drink & testorone filled tyre smoking pushing competitions, lifting the vehicle as Kenny says etc etc.

And for tying to a tree to bring them and the chassis rail back to shape when you did manage to deform them.

our delivery is confirmed for mid to late august. Order was placed in January. delayed by 2 months due to Covid! I have now also ordered a Karoq sportline yesterday which will be here for the end of October

On 23/07/2020 at 14:15, Scot5 said:

Ha ha. I was going to say those were the days but to be fair, when it comes to protecting the occupants, the bumpers in those days may as well have been made out of papar mache compared to todays technology.

True... in the 1960s I well remember seeing a big 1930's Austin that had run head on into a telegraph pole. The bumpers were barely dented... but from the blood all over the inside of the car the occupants were a bit more than dented!!

On 20/07/2020 at 18:38, Scot5 said:

And here's another cracker from the price list.  Don't they ever check things b4 publishing them?

Kodiaq_price_16th.thumb.JPG.82be4dff85d9c820506530cc4564d43a.JPG

So if you want manual rear roller blinds on your car, it will cost you £205.00

Or for £25 less, you could order a Family Pack at £180 which includes electric child locks, door bin, door edge protectors and those same manual rear roller blinds.  :wall:

I've been saying it for years - when it comes to VW group, stuff gets lost in translation. Simply Bloody Stupid more like.

This really annoyed me with my order on an SE Drive. I really want the blinds as I have them in my current car (Touran) and the kids have them up all the time. I can’t order the family pack on an SE DRIVE. I had to pay £205 for the blinds 

Hello!

So - the good news is that I've had a further update from my dealer - my Kodiaq is now at Build Stage 40.

The bad news is that the salesman claims this is "pretty much the same as stage 38" - which I find a little difficult to believe.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what build stage 40 actually is? How excited should I be getting?

Thanks!

- Chris

13 minutes ago, Balloon said:

Hello!

So - the good news is that I've had a further update from my dealer - my Kodiaq is now at Build Stage 40.

The bad news is that the salesman claims this is "pretty much the same as stage 38" - which I find a little difficult to believe.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what build stage 40 actually is? How excited should I be getting?

Thanks!

- Chris

I seen this elsewhere in this forum. Not sure how accurate it is 
Status
Meaning
Without Production Week
With Production Week
With Production Order
In Transit From Factory
In Port of Exit not Released
In Port of Exit Released
Vehicle Shipped
UK Port
In Transit to Dealer
At Dealer

16 hours ago, Balloon said:

Thanks - so it's on the boat, then!

Can't be much longer now, I guess!?

Sorry - misread - it's at the UK port!

mines is expected late next week. im sure it was at the same stage as your car a couple of weeks ago when you first mentioned stage 38

1 hour ago, GMC92 said:

mines is expected late next week. im sure it was at the same stage as your car a couple of weeks ago when you first mentioned stage 38

Yeah - we were very similar timings, I think - so thanks for that - better start checking down the back of the sofa for the rest of the deposit! :)

It never ceases to amaze me how little salesman seem to know about the products / manufacturing and delivery processes of the things they sell! It's really obvious that the guy I'm dealing with hasn't got a clue what's going on!

1 hour ago, Austrianscot said:

I didn’t order mine until the 3rd of June. I wonder when I can start to get excited 

Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as us... I believe the factories are all still open at the moment!!

got my documents through for my order (ordered 31st January). has the vehicle reg noted on it and registration date is dated 12th August. Hopefully thats the delivery date aswell!

1 hour ago, GMC92 said:

got my documents through for my order (ordered 31st January). has the vehicle reg noted on it and registration date is dated 12th August. Hopefully thats the delivery date aswell!

If the dealer wants you to register it as a '20' reg rather than a '70' car, I'd push him for a discount! He's meeting his targets for August sales but you're getting a car that will not be worth as much as a '70' car. 

My VW dealer gave me £350 off my Golf SV when I agreed to let him register it on the 24th of Feb as a '64' car rather than a '05'. 

• Like 1

Just now, CJJE said:

If the dealer wants you to register it as a '20' reg rather than a '70' car, I'd push him for a discount! He's meeting his targets for August sales but you're getting a car that will not be worth as much as a '70' car. 

My VW dealer gave me £350 off my Golf SV when I agreed to let him register it on the 24th of Feb as a '64' car rather than a '05'. 

Not to bothered, it's a lease vehicle. Private plate going on anyway. Car was meant to be here in June, Covid and all that. 

1 minute ago, CJJE said:

Similar story with me in 2017 I was going to wait until 1st September for a 67 plate and the dealer keen to hit August sales targets and their bonus from Skoda UK offered me another £500 off so it was registered on 17th August on a 17 plate instead. Both parties happy and makes for a good relationship in future dealings.