Annoying things about the Mk4!

To be honest, I have loads of cup already as I went through s tonne trying to get one to fit in my superb MK3. So I really don't want to buy anymore. 

I would like something that slots in to make it bigger. There are things for sale on Amazon etc but I don't know if they fit. Just wondering if anyone has tried one.

(this posting is goading poor MK4 Octy owners - so sorry in advance)

You can always trade in your nice new MK4 for a equalily lovely MK3 FL model.  All the same build quality, but none of the annoyance....things just....work :-)

• Haha 1

wow! I was about to press the button on swapping from a mk 3 to a Mk4 VRS, and all this has really put me off.  no chance to drive it at the moment due to lockdown, and all the reviews seemed great...but I guess they're not having to live with this annoying infotainment system.  lack of buttons always seemed daft to me ( and dangerous ), and constant lane assist would be very annoying if have to constantly reset 

28 minutes ago, billblacoe said:

wow! I was about to press the button on swapping from a mk 3 to a Mk4 VRS, and all this has really put me off.  no chance to drive it at the moment due to lockdown, and all the reviews seemed great...but I guess they're not having to live with this annoying infotainment system.  lack of buttons always seemed daft to me ( and dangerous ), and constant lane assist would be very annoying if have to constantly reset 

The infotainment is being improved all the time, so don't be too worried. I don't hate the screen buttons either. The volume control would be annoying if it was only the central bar, but it's also a thumb wheel on the steering wheel. Lane assist is now pretty unobtrustive.

The problem with all the tech is assessing it in a test drive. I imagine it would give you brain overload. The car websites and mag barely try in their reviews, in the  main. Hard to know how to assess this stuff without living with it, but the good thing is that the software can be updated.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, billblacoe said:

Think it may be time for a “things I love about my Mk4” just in the interests of balance. 
😊

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, billblacoe said:

Good call - I would investigate putting money into your MK3 and upgrading parts as necessary.  They are excellent cars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Branigan said:

The infotainment is being improved all the time, so don't be too worried. I don't hate the screen buttons either. The volume control would be annoying if it was only the central bar, but it's also a thumb wheel on the steering wheel. Lane assist is now pretty unobtrustive.

The problem with all the tech is assessing it in a test drive. I imagine it would give you brain overload. The car websites and mag barely try in their reviews, in the  main. Hard to know how to assess this stuff without living with it, but the good thing is that the software can be updated.

Was about to make the same points. Reading this thread has had me losing sleep over the past 6 weeks or so and I feel for those guys who have had these ongoing issues. But I would say the picture is becoming clearer in terms of linking software issues to certain hardware modules and there doesn’t appear to be many owners of later produced cars contributing here, which gives me hope that launch issues are being addressed for later production runs. (Doesn’t help the guys who already have their cars though). 
Other things such as no buttons on the infotainment screen are developments in tech similar to many car manufacturers. You will know if you want that or not before considering the Mk4. But there are still car producers who have buttons on the dash, should it be a deal breaker. 
After considering everything, I still placed my order back end of January, having been in a similar situation when I got my Mk3 vRS years ago, back then is was the MIB 1 to MIB 2 Amundsen debate, the later produced cars (and mine) gave me two great years of motoring before the car reached the end of its leased time with me. 
I took a leap of faith then as I have now to a degree. 
But for those placing orders now, I’d say there are known issues which are being worked on otherwise people getting there cars in the last week or so would be contributing too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

I collected my Mk 4 at the end of September 2020. I have to say, despite limited mileage due to the pandemic, that I am pleased with the car. 

I only have two glitches; the first is the sat nav being in km - that is supposedly being worked on. The other is the automatic main beam; it is not clear whether my model, the SE L FIrst Edition, should have this or not. That said it is not a deal breaker just to flick the switch.

• Like 1

Tbf the problems i have are very very annoying, buttttt i think the way the car drives, looks and the gadgets for value for money make up for it slightly, couldnt imagine not having the car, so for anyone being put off getting one….dont, hopefully these issues will get sorted, an update is not a 5 min job for the coders its months of work to make sure it works 

• Like 1

Very refreshing to hear these comments 😊

I had already ordered my vRS on Feb 13th before I had read about these issues and it did make me worry I had made a bad decision (I'm pretty good at worrying about things in general 😂) but it's nice to hear some positives.

I'm hoping that as my car isn't scheduled to be built until April at least some of these issues would be fixed by then. However I'm also not fussed about manually dipping my headlights or switching the lane assist off if I need to, just looking forward to racing around with a wardrobe in the boot 😁

Well, I sent the below message to my dealer today after having the car two weeks. It will be interesting to see what can be done. But overall, the benefits do not currently outweigh the cons. I much prefer my other car which is a 66 plate Superb MK3 l&k. 

"Today, the screen was stuck on the 'Please be patient...' message for an entire journey for 40 minutes. My wife even pulled over, got out of the car and turned it off, and then went in again to no avail. During this time, nothing could be used such as air conditioning, etc as it wouldn't let you select anything on the screen. And as this is a car where the majority of functions are controlled via the screen, it is not acceptable and very unsafe if driving. I will try and attach a video/picture of this issue.

So, list of issues/glitches/bugs - please note, some are intermittent which makes them more infuriating:

When selecting your user account, you get the 'Please be patient' message which doesn't disappear and stops you from using the touch screen at all. This is probably the worst intermittent fault.

The car (when you successfully select your user account) doesn't actually remember your car settings. So when I get into the car, select my user, it then doesn't actually load my settings correctly which I have previously selected. Such as lane assist heads up display settings etc. So, I need to spend 5 minutes before I drive away picking my settings again. This is poor.

Sometimes the car doesn't remember the seat/mirror positions correctly and they need to be readjusted. 

Sometimes it just fails to open your user account. You will select it, but it will fail to load continuously, meaning all settings need to be readjusted so you can get on with your journey. 

The motion gestures sometimes work/ sometimes don't. THis doesn't overly bother me, but it is just yet another thing that there are issues with.

The voice assistant is a PITA. I think her name is laura? But it randomly turns itself on during journeys despite me never having uttered its name command."

56 minutes ago, neonplanet40 said:

Well, I sent the below message to my dealer today after having the car two weeks. It will be interesting to see what can be done. But overall, the benefits do not currently outweigh the cons. I much prefer my other car which is a 66 plate Superb MK3 l&k. 

"Today, the screen was stuck on the 'Please be patient...' message for an entire journey for 40 minutes. My wife even pulled over, got out of the car and turned it off, and then went in again to no avail. During this time, nothing could be used such as air conditioning, etc as it wouldn't let you select anything on the screen. And as this is a car where the majority of functions are controlled via the screen, it is not acceptable and very unsafe if driving. I will try and attach a video/picture of this issue.

So, list of issues/glitches/bugs - please note, some are intermittent which makes them more infuriating:

When selecting your user account, you get the 'Please be patient' message which doesn't disappear and stops you from using the touch screen at all. This is probably the worst intermittent fault.

The car (when you successfully select your user account) doesn't actually remember your car settings. So when I get into the car, select my user, it then doesn't actually load my settings correctly which I have previously selected. Such as lane assist heads up display settings etc. So, I need to spend 5 minutes before I drive away picking my settings again. This is poor.

Sometimes the car doesn't remember the seat/mirror positions correctly and they need to be readjusted. 

Sometimes it just fails to open your user account. You will select it, but it will fail to load continuously, meaning all settings need to be readjusted so you can get on with your journey. 

The motion gestures sometimes work/ sometimes don't. THis doesn't overly bother me, but it is just yet another thing that there are issues with.

The voice assistant is a PITA. I think her name is laura? But it randomly turns itself on during journeys despite me never having uttered its name command."

lane assist automatically turns back on when car is turned iff and back on regardless of settings and accounts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matmacka said:

lane assist automatically turns back on when car is turned iff and back on regardless of settings and accounts

That's a shame. Doesn't do this in my Superb. It remembers my settings.

2 minutes ago, neonplanet40 said:

That's a shame. Doesn't do this in my Superb. It remembers my settings.

These things changed in 2019 when Skoda made settings reset every time you start the car due to new rules on emissions regarding WLTP. Now have to use Individual Mode if you want to store personal preferences.

• Like 1

Is this the same individual mode where you choose which modes you're any for steering, lights, acc speed etc? My car also doesn't remember that. In my superb, I always use individual mode. And when I get in the car with my key, it automatically uses individual mode as default (unless I change it). Whereas my new Octavia doesn't. It resets that too.

Or is this different?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, neonplanet40 said:

Is this the same individual mode where you choose which modes you're any for steering, lights, acc speed etc? My car also doesn't remember that. In my superb, I always use individual mode. And when I get in the car with my key, it automatically uses individual mode as default (unless I change it). Whereas my new Octavia doesn't. It resets that too.

Or is this different?

Strange because my Feb 2020 FL Superb remembers all my settings after I start it and press Individual mode. I have steering in Sport but gearbox (DSG) and engine in Eco.

9 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Strange because my Feb 2020 FL Superb remembers all my settings after I start it and press Individual mode. I have steering in Sport but gearbox (DSG) and engine in Eco.

That's what I mean. My superb remembers all of this. The Octavia remembers none and resets all.

• Groan 1

Well, I'm bringing it in to the garage and asking for a full reinstall of the infotainment system software (or whatever way they do it in a car compared to a computer) to see if that fixes the issues. If it doesn't, then I'm unsure what I'll do. It's not something I can just live with as when it goes, most of the cars systems are unusable, due to the nature of nearly everything having been replaced by the touchscreen unfortunately.

7 hours ago, neonplanet40 said:

Well, I'm bringing it in to the garage and asking for a full reinstall of the infotainment system software (or whatever way they do it in a car compared to a computer) to see if that fixes the issues. If it doesn't, then I'm unsure what I'll do. It's not something I can just live with as when it goes, most of the cars systems are unusable, due to the nature of nearly everything having been replaced by the touchscreen unfortunately.

tbf this kept happening to me with the screen totally freezing, turning car off ans back on did not work but a reset of the infotainment by holding power button till it comes up with skoda did the trick, i dont get the total freeze any more as i think it settles when the cars been used more. It can still be slow but no freeze on screen

The gesture control bit you said resonates with me. I can't get it to do anything consistently and sometimes it swipes the home screen left when I didn't mean to and won't go back when I try to swipe it back. It keeps asking me about user accounts which I don't want, all I want is it to remember individual mode. 

It sounds to me like the lack of remembering certain modes now is all to do with WLTP legislation. 
Having to revert to its “standard drive mode settings” must now be part of conforming to WLTP standards of measuring potential emissions. 
Ive also heard, on other threads, from our Irish members that you can’t even spec the pano roof or Canton because the these items apparently push the car over a certain emissions threshold, which I find absolutely incredible. 
Back to drive modes / settings and my 
current 5 series F11 2017, has never retained any of my previous drive modes after the ignition has turned off. It doesn’t even remember the Auto Hold, so every time I get in the car I have to press the button. Which I don’t mind doing because I am now used to that, but the point I’m making is, a lot of these issues are genuine software / hardware glitches, some are design innovations / flaws (subjective) and some appear to be gripes with changes to convenience elements that seem to be driven by external emissions measuring standards rather than Skoda withdrawing the functionality. 
Who knows, I may feel far less philosophical about it when I’m living with my new car, but six weeks since order and still no Build week, so I’m jealous of you guys who are already in your MK4’s! ✌🏼

Edited by Skodev
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skodev said:

Who knows, I may feel far less philosophical about it when I’m living with my new car, but six weeks since order and still no Build week, so I’m jealous of you guys who are already in your MK4’s! ✌🏼

Edited 7 hours ago by Skodev

That's odd Skodev, I only placed my order on the 13tb Feb and I've already been given a provisional build week for the middle of April?