TDi Tuning box

Anyone got any experience of the TDi tuning boxes?? 

I jumped in feet first and ordered one today which also spurred me on to become a dealer in them, I haven't even experienced one so may of been a bit of a silly move, but just wondered if anyone here has tried one.... The power claims seem reasonable to be fair but I'm always sceptical 🤨 

Cause issues with my car, common rail went the route of a remap instead much more reliable and once checked on rolling road can be tweaked even more to suit car I’ve a 1.6tdi caya with 127bhp and no issues also 60mpg regularly 

I guess you didn't read the other thread then?

The ECU is no longer fully in control of the engine if it's being fed bad data from a tuning box. And all any tuning boxes are capable of doing is feeding bad data to the ECU so it overfuels and overboosts. If you want more power get a remap from a reputable tuner.

23 minutes ago, chimaera said:

I guess you didn't read the other thread then?

The ECU is no longer fully in control of the engine if it's being fed bad data from a tuning box. And all any tuning boxes are capable of doing is feeding bad data to the ECU so it overfuels and overboosts. If you want more power get a remap from a reputable tuner.

Yeah I read it, was just a load of cack in my opinion lol. The ecu is always in control, it can never deliver more than VW/Skoda have told it too regardless of inputs.... So obviously the power won't be massive, but still an increase. It can't over fuel or over boost, impossible. It can only reach the maximum set by manufacturer. That's it. 

I actually can't see a downside to one of the TDi tuning ones other than a custom map being better.... So for plug and play, it's exactly that, plug it in. Play. It does its job. It can't cause the engine to blow itself to bits because the stock ecu can still only deliver its own maximum. Tell me I'm wrong?? 

4 minutes ago, AmusedMussel said:

Just invoke your 14 day return policy and see if you can get it mapped for the same price. These lads know what they're talking about, so I would trust them

To be fair, they probably do, but I'm no cabbage. I've been a mechanic 20 years and own my own successful garage, I just asked if anyone had fitted one and had any experience of them, I've made my informed decision already, and so far, nobody has said..... Mate, my boost went to 5bar and fuel pressure to 3000bar.... And then bang.... They have all just said custom map is better, which is obvious. But I don't want permanent, I want to be able to take it off when the 17yr old son drives, I want to be able to put it on another twincharged if I so decide, the "map" is still custom written for the CTHE /Cave engine 

11 minutes ago, BananaKev said:

Yeah I read it, was just a load of cack in my opinion lol. The ecu is always in control, it can never deliver more than VW/Skoda have told it too regardless of inputs.... So obviously the power won't be massive, but still an increase. It can't over fuel or over boost, impossible. It can only reach the maximum set by manufacturer. That's it. 

I actually can't see a downside to one of the TDi tuning ones other than a custom map being better.... So for plug and play, it's exactly that, plug it in. Play. It does its job. It can't cause the engine to blow itself to bits because the stock ecu can still only deliver its own maximum. Tell me I'm wrong?? 

Your opinion is wrong sunshine. If the ECU is getting incorrect data it is not under control. What tuning boxes do is modify the signal sent back by a sensor so that the engine thinks it's reading out lower than it actually is e.g. when the MAP sensor is actually at 0.8 bar, the tuning box fools the engine into thinking it's only seeing 0.6 bar, so it'll overboost by 0.2 bar. When the ECU hits its limit based on the reading it's getting from the tuning box, it is in reality 0.2 bar above that limit and in dangerous territory. Same goes for fuel rail pressure. Some of the more expensive boxes have tweaking to reduce the offset near the limit but it's still a bad job.

You're now suffering from choice supportive bias: you've bought so heavily into these stupid things that you're unable to accept that they might be a whole lot of nonsense.

5 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Your opinion is wrong sunshine. If the ECU is getting incorrect data it is not under control. What tuning boxes do is modify the signal sent back by a sensor so that the engine thinks it's reading out lower than it actually is e.g. when the MAP sensor is actually at 0.8 bar, the tuning box fools the engine into thinking it's only seeing 0.6 bar, so it'll overboost by 0.2 bar. When the ECU hits its limit based on the reading it's getting from the tuning box, it is in reality 0.2 bar above that limit and in dangerous territory. Same goes for fuel rail pressure. Some of the more expensive boxes have tweaking to reduce the offset near the limit but it's still a bad job.

You're now suffering from choice supportive bias: you've bought so heavily into these stupid things that you're unable to accept that they might be a whole lot of nonsense.

What I should do then.... Is get a map, that increases fuel pressure and boost pressure..... 🤔 🤔 Yep, good argument. More air and more fuel is how we go faster. 

Back to my original question.... Anyone have any actual experience of a tuning box? Or just my mate, your mate, I know better? 

Just now, BananaKev said:

What I should do then.... Is get a map, that increases fuel pressure and boost pressure..... 🤔 🤔 Yep, good argument. More air and more fuel is how we go faster. 

Back to my original question.... Anyone have any actual experience of a tuning box? Or just my mate, your mate, I know better? 

Also...... How can my opinion be wrong? Its my opinion, that would make me dual personality wouldn't it? And me.. 

As for sunshine, that's a bit of an insult if I'm honest, annoyed me a little bit, it's like me calling you sales rep because of your car choice. Get back in your box please. 

Just now, BananaKev said:

With a remap, the ECU does know exactly what's going on with the sensors and control things properly. The tuner will make sure the engine stays within its limits, unlike a tuning box which won't. But go ahead, it's your money you're throwing away. I'm only an engineer, what would I know eh?

1 minute ago, chimaera said:

With a remap, the ECU does know exactly what's going on with the sensors and control things properly. The tuner will make sure the engine stays within its limits, unlike a tuning box which won't. But go ahead, it's your money you're throwing away. I'm only an engineer, what would I know eh?

An engineer, part of which professional body? Because I can quote all 3 that I'm part of. 

Quite simply, we're both right, a box does it what it says, a remap does too. No wonder forums and the Internet get a bad name with keyboard talkers like you, I only asked if anyone had any experience. You clearly don't and so do t need to jump on a post and try to prove that you know something. 

Don't worry Kev, chimaera's right, but there'll still be plenty of customers for something cheapish that promises a lot. 50% of people are of below average intelligence, after all.

2 hours ago, BananaKev said:

It does its job. It can't cause the engine to blow itself to bits because the stock ecu can still only deliver its own maximum. Tell me I'm wrong?? 

As you insist.

You are wrong Victor Kiam.

oh dear................no need to get personal guys.............my dads bigger than your dad!!!...................😏

Plug in tuning boxes are a cheap "rough" way to tune (ish) an engine, thats a fact..............developed years ago "before" people had the ability and tech to "remap" the ECU software and do the job properly.

Ask yourself this, if tuning boxes do the job, why do manufacturers not just plug one in for different models with diff power outputs...........and more importantly EVERY car ECU / engine is slightly different, a tuning box has a generic map

designed to hopefully work on ANY particular model of car, it can never do the job properly. A proper ECU remap by someone who knows what they are doing will always be better and more specific to "your" engine and will use ALL the information the ECU receives as with a standard factory car / engine and "imo" ALL remaps should include a "before and after" rolling road to see what your money has bought.

You have been given sound / good advice, choose to ignore it if you wish.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Many of these tuning boxes are no more than a resistor (or several with a selector switch) to fool the ecu into thinking that the fuel rail pressure and/or the coolant temperature is less than it really is, the ECU overfuels to compensate, richer mixture = more power but good luck with the consequences to the O2 sensor, DPF etc etc.

Nice work if you can get it and it's beginning to sound like pyramid selling as well now!

I think the general consensus is to avoid them and go for a proper map, seens as a map will look at your engine and tune it appropriately, rather than just tune what the engine *should* be like.

If you go ahead and use this though, I would love to know where you're at after about 6 months with it? Someone has to take the plunge, might actually be a good solution.

Personally, I'm too anxious about the twincharger to upset it. My big risk was buying one, nevermind trying to squeeze more out of it hahaha

23 minutes ago, AmusedMussel said:

Personally, I'm too anxious about the twincharger to upset it. My big risk was buying one, nevermind trying to squeeze more out of it hahaha

I think the OP is talking about the TDI, never mind that you're only one electronics failure away from grenading your engine 😱

Just for information, I have had a Bluespark tuning box fitted to a 1.2TSI for 6+ years. I did not want to remap my car during warranty for obvious reasons but I knew a remap would be the better option overall.

My car was one of the last special offer types that came with only the 63kw option unlike the test drive 105 BHP car.
Never had an issue and it  makes the car so much more flexible with the extra bit of low down torque. 
I don’t thrash it or use the engine as a boy racer might. 
I did think I might get a proper remap but I now do not see the point as it makes the car suit my driving style.

I told my insurance company and it only added £20 to my premium so not a big deal.

I can of course Remove it if I sell the dog kennel and sell the box on eBay and recoup a few quid no doubt, or ask Bluespark to program it to suit my next vehicle should I be inclined, unless of course I go all electric.

So, not advocating anyone getting one or the other, just giving my own reasons and experience with a tuning box.

Discuss....😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I think the OP is talking about the TDI, never mind that you're only one electronics failure away from grenading your engine 😱

Not sure, TDI tuning boxes are a brand so could be any engine. On a personal level, I want to squeeze more from mine, but really don't at the same time haha