What would you change about your Octavia?

Afternoon,

This week I've bought my first ever Skoda in the form of a vRS230 DSG Octavia MK3 and absolutely LOVE it. 

However, I'm just wondering what some of you think could be improved on the model in all of its forms? Open to input on every aspect of the car (performance/tech/creature comforts/ aesthetics etc)

Interested to hear other people's opinions.

PP90

Road noise reduced and a seat that doesn't squeek, less shiny piano black scratchy panels, some engine/exhaust noise would be nice too. Stop supplying them from new with those awful Bridgestone tyres. Better paint and paint quality control. LEDs inside as standard. Theres loads of things I would like to see changed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

A MIB2 infotainment with CarPlay so I don't have to wait ages for the Amundsen nav to start up very time.

I do have to agree with the Amundsen.

I don't have to use it much upon start up but noticed already it's slightly slow.

2 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

Road noise reduced and a seat that doesn't squeek, less shiny piano black scratchy panels, some engine/exhaust noise would be nice too. Stop supplying them from new with those awful Bridgestone tyres. Better paint and paint quality control. LEDs inside as standard. Theres loads of things I would like to see changed!

I'd love the engine/engine point!

Also, I'm so wary of scratching my new panels too.

3 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Less road noise and better quality plastics inside ,and the piano black door shuts are a pain with finger marks and swirls

Would love to not have to worry about the panels!

I've got OCD at the moment about it!

I'd like to see 300PS AWD 😁 there is also a couple of things that they got right on my F/L Mark 2 sorted, bonnet release on the drivers side and the r/h foot rest for when you are using cruise.

I little less noise would be nice, but I am still on the factory fit tyres and so it will be interesting to see how it is when I swap them.

For me, whilst the interior trim is a lot better put together and the car 'feels'  a lot more premium than my previous Octavia's, when you actually sit in them a white and start to look at them there are some noticeable backwards steps compared to my 14 year old MkII. The door plastics are noticeably harder and the door cards are basically a slab of plastic where on the old car they were a cushioned p-leather type material. The sports seats are much nicer looking than on the older cars however the fabric inner sections arent much to write home about and don't look as if they will be as durable as the fabric/foam weave thing on the older cars. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff in front of you as a driver is very nice - i love the sports steering wheel in particular - but look closer and there are bits that have clearly not moved forwards or even gotten worse likely in the name of cost.

I always find the throttle response on VAG cars to be a bit mushy at the start of the pedal travel - i know this is partly drive by wire throttles but i drive loads of different makes and models and it is particularly noticeable on VAG cars, especially when double de-clutching. The newer car is better for this than my MkII was but its a shame that the missus Fiesta still has a better throttle response.

On a daft and purely subjective note, the engine - the TDI VRS is fine around the doors for most of your daily driving needs and is a wonderfully economical thing, but properly quick it is not im afraid. I read a comment on here before i got mine that the diesel VRS is just a family car with a sporty body kit rather than actually being sporty and in terms of power I have to agree - it does handle very well though - it makes me wonder why the engine wasn't refreshed at some stage as with an extra 200-210bhp it would probably be ideal.

And on another personal note... the panoramic roof... never again 😨

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it's the 2 liter with a manual box. No the dsg¬
In my opinion the car could be a lot bigger considering the amount of stuff i carry when im at work

?!

How can it be any bigger and yet remain in the segment? :D

It is already faking D segment and being better in matter of space and functionality of many standard representatives above.

---------

Piano black sucks. Insulation could be better and I hate sometimes noises coming from front bushings. 

Reading some of these comments it seems that quite a few want Audi quality interior and insulation for Skoda money 😉

We're on one of the lower rungs of the VAG hierarchy remember!

That being said, I'd like heavier duty/stiffer rear springs even on the VRS...with the tons of Dynamat in the rear-end of mine it certainly looks like it's sitting lower, but at least there's less road noise 🤣

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

1.  Bit more power.  300bhp is probably more than is needed, maybe 275 would make a nice road car that feels that little bit quicker.

2.  Needs more 'feel'.  It's quicker than my Accord, certainly in a straight line.  Maybe has more grip even, but it just doesn't 'feel' as fun.  

3.  Quicker gearbox.  I like a manual, but again, compared to my Accord it takes me 2x longer to change gear.  

4.  Less roll on the suspension.

5.  Fixing points for roof racks on the hatch.  It just needs the little hidden ones so you can bolt on a rack without it looking ugly with massive clamps.

6.  Better speakers.  The fact you have to upgrade a vRS to get anything but the basic radio is stupid.  Our Mazda 6 Sport came with a far superior Bose system and the car was £10k less new.

On 02/08/2020 at 15:07, jordy_wd said:

If they did a 300hp 4WD version like the Golf R, I think it would be the best car in VAGs lineup.

My thoughts exactly. Golf is a bit small for three kids so I changed my Octavia vRS TDI 4x4 estate for this:

20191010_213243.thumb.jpg.23d0484084fa0321955ce74d9657beb6.jpg

272ps 4Motion DSG

Lovin' it 😊

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

My thoughts exactly. Golf is a bit small for three kids so I changed my Octavia vRS TDI 4x4 estate for this:

272ps 4Motion DSG

Lovin' it 😊

Needs a power upgrade. You would like it even more with 360bhp and 500+nm to launch it.:tongueout:

Simple with the DSG have e handbrake and autohold function so I can sit at lights etc foot off the brake without needing to knock it to neutral and put the handbrake on... I know thats fixed on the Mk4 :) This would make day to day driving so much easier.

Less road and wind noise around the mirrors are nice to haves too.

Edited by Scotty72
  • Like 2

Just now, Scotty72 said:

Simple with the DSG have e handbrake and autohold function so I can sit at lights etc foot off the brake without needing to knock it to neutral and put the handbrake on... I know thats fixed on the Mk4 :) This would make day to day driving so much easier.

Correct so handy just pressing the autohold button and leaving the DSG in Drive on my Superb. No effort no fuss no stress. Simply Clever for a change like having 2 umbrellas instead of the 1 in the Octavia.:whew:

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

272ps 4Motion DSG

Lovin' it 😊

Ah a Bismark Grey Passat 😁