Recommend me a film to watch...

ColinD

18 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Does Sam Rockwell get to dance at all? :) 

Isn't that a stipulation in his contract now?

19 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Does Sam Rockwell get to dance at all? :) 

Maybe :nod:

I never ever watch anything with Danny Dyer,  then last night i did.

Vendetta  (2013)

UK movie, not the other one.

With Roxanne McKee in it.

I forgive any of the rubbish of the story line just for the violence.  On a different level to anything i have watched ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a film but ‘Storyville’ Beyond Utopia - Escape from North Korea. Follows the journey of a family getting out of NK via China, Laos, Vietnam to South Korea. There’s footage of ‘everyday’ life in NK, unbelievable, slightest step out of line and you’re whisked away somewhere, probably never to be seen or heard of again. No sanitation it seems in NK, people use communal toilets, waste drops into buckets and all the waste is eventually collected up and taken away and used as fertiliser - rural families take it to local schools, people in towns drop it off at the office 😱 

The family in the programme just couldn’t believe what living outside NK was really like, they truly believed images of the west that they were ‘fed’ were fake 

Edited by BTandSid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lol-lol another anomaly of Top Gun Maverick. When he launched the F-14 from the unknown airfield it's wings were swept back. 

Max lift at lower speed is achieved when they are extended. 

It's not the plane, it's the pilot. 

I've just rewatched it and they were actually extended. Not sure what made me think they weren't now 🤔

Edited by @Lee

8 hours ago, @Lee said:

@lol-lol another anomaly of Top Gun Maverick. When he launched the F-14 from the unknown airfield it's wings were swept back. 

Max lift at lower speed is achieved when they are extended. 

It's not the plane, it's the pilot. 

indeed. just plane wrong.  Variable geometry aircraft, its party trick.  several other swing wing aircraft....

Tornado.  Rather majestic.

220px-Tornado_F3_RAF_armed.jpg

undefined

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

Just back from seeing Wicked Little Letters at the Cinema.  Headed up by Olivia Coleman, Timothy Spall and Jessie Buckley.  Thoroughly enjoyable although not for the feint hearted on the swearing front:

Gaz

• Like 1

Just watching the BFI re-release of 'Get Carter' on BluRay. It's in 4K and looks great. Lots of film grain, but that's to be expected. Terrific film and it set the mark for many gangster films. The score is superb and you can see where all the recent 'heist' movies ripped off their cool scores from.

9/10 for me (I'm slightly biased, of course, due to the location of the movie :D )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently watching The Beekeeper (NowTV/ Sky) and you can tell from the plot and script that there was a Hollywood writers strike :D

Produced by it's main character Jason Statham as a vehicle for Jason Statham. 

5/10

8 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I downloaded that to watch. Didn't make it tonight, but might give it a go tomorrow. Probably won't rush 

I may have been premature in my evaluation. Some things are now clicking into place. I'll leave it at that. 

12 hours ago, @Lee said:

I may have been premature in my evaluation. Some things are now clicking into place. I'll leave it at that. 

Intriguing  :thinking: 

13 hours ago, @Lee said:

I may have..... premature.... evaluation.

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Intriguing  :thinking: 

I'm saying nothing! 😇

G

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I downloaded that to watch. Didn't make it tonight, but might give it a go tomorrow. Probably won't rush 

Doin same amanda ,were watching it tonight too ,with his films you can turn your brain off and watch baddies get bumped off .

• Like 2

Well just watched watched the beekeeper ,just as i expected ,put your brain in cupboard and be entertained by gormlessness for an hour and half 😂😂

• Haha 1

I had an entertaining hour the other week getting ChatGPT to come up with new Jason Stratham type movies. All were just as viable as the "beekeeper".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Started watching Asteroid City (Now TV/ Sky). I gave up after twenty five minutes. Load of carp up to that point and didn't look in any danger of improving. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, @Lee said:

Started watching Asteroid City (Now TV/ Sky). I gave up after twenty five minutes. Load of carp up to that point and didn't look in any danger of improving. 

Ditto lee ,i did exactly same as you 😂

• Like 1

Finally got thru Rebel Moon, very slow to start but after first half hours kick on well.  Sort of Magnificent Seven in space, there are only 7 stories it is said.

I'm not sure if this is a recommendation or not...

I've just watched Poor Things, a very strange film, a bit like if David Croenenburgh did a comedy (with a nod to Terry Gilliam's cinematography) and staring Emma Stone looking like an albino, late-era, Michael Jackson. That's not the strange bit. The story is very 'unusual' and the music is quite disturbing in places, but it is wonderfully acted (Emma Stones commitment to the role is astonishing) and visually it is quite stunning. 

I think it is a film I can recommend to those wanting a challenge and not wanting a popcorn movie or something with a straight forward narrative. It does contain a lot of sex scenes and innuendo, so it's not for the young. I'd be interested to see what others think of it. But you have to go into it with an open mind, it is not a regular film. I'm glad I watched it (on Disney+) so it gets a recommendation in that sense, but I won't watch it again for quite a while, just to give my brain a chance to mull over what I've just witnessed. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I watched the Beekeeper eventually and quite enjoyed it. It is, what it is. Jason Statham doing his thing with a naff 'murican accent (it even gets explained away as to why it's rubbish :D ). Usual popcorn tropes, so buckle up, settle down and knock your brain into neutral. 6/10 if you want a bloke doing blokey hard-man things.

I also watched Asteroid City (again) and I really enjoyed it. Perhaps you have to like Wes Anderson movies to really enjoy this one (who am I kidding, of course you have to like his films). But in a weird, Quentin Tarantino-esque, set in a pastel symmetrical world and with no violence - way, it works. At least for me. 7/10, but I get it if you don't like Mr Anderson's films. 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 15:26, Lady Elanore said:

I've just watched Poor Things, a very strange film.....

Watched it ...... hmmm..... well..... umm..... [processing]....... that was..... [looks for words]..... different, odd, weird, bizarre and yes a tad disturbing.  Still not quite sure what I make of it.

Both fascinating and compelling though, so I think I enjoyed it.

G

Edited by Gaz

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Watched it ...... hmmm..... well..... umm..... [processing]....... that was..... [looks for words]..... different, odd, weird, bizarre and yes a tad disturbing.  Still not quite sure what I make of it.

Both fascinating and compelling though, so I think I enjoyed it.

G

That's pretty much my thoughts. I am still not sure if I enjoyed it a lot or not :D That's got to be a good thing, hasn't it? At least occasionally :)