Recommend me a film to watch...

ColinD

• Administrators

Fairly simple, recommend a film that you've seen, that you think is worth a watch and why. They don't need to be car related, we're diverse enough to take in the odd bit of culture.

Spun of from recent posts on days of thunder ;)

1 per post, to give us all some time to find it, and watch it. So if you know where it is, i.e. bbc, netflix, amazon, plex vhs etc please do let us know.

I think it's fair to say we've all arrived on this planet at different times. Our previous generation might have films that are dear to them and some are blinders!

I gave up watching trailers about 5 years ago, maybe more. I prefer to go with the surprise of the film. Kind of ruins the film when the trailer has the actor in a scene you've not seen yet, but the film is trying to lead you to believe they are in peril. 

So here we go, one from me to kick things off. Feel free to discuss your findings...

Edited by ColinD

• Administrators

Ronin 1998 - Robert De Niro, Jean Reno, Natascha McElhone

On netflix, band of mercenaries on a job, lots of car chases, a 'FILM' camera is used too, and some twists along the way. At 2hours it's a good story; I thought, and lovely european scenery.

• Like 4

My favorite is Idiocracy, its no box office blockbuster but really touched a nerve with me when I saw it on the TV, it was as if someone had been watching from above my dawning realisation of what the community that I chose to move into was really like after removing the rose tinted specs, it is IMO very apt for Trumps America of today and what it will become if he is re-elected.

Without spoiling the surprise someone gets transported to the future in a time machine, a future that exists in the here and now where I live and one which perhaps the majority of the planet is moving towards.

No idea if its on Netflix, I dont have anything like that but its the only DVD that I have ever bought.

• Like 2

For silliness,  Jacques Tati, Monsieur Hulot takes a holiday/ Las vacannces de M Hulot, can be subtitled or with English dialogue   --  French holidays of the 50's and wonderfully the locations are much the same today!!

'Last breath' actually a 90 min doco rather than a movie, but it plays like a movie with some genuinely astonishing footage taken from the accident. Basically about saturation divers on the sea bed tethered to a diving bell that's in turn, tethered to a ship.....that loses it's GPS lock during a storm. 

Very moving

Available on iPlayer and Netflix 

• Like 2

In the current pandemic we've made Saturday 'film night' I choose the films which I think Mrs Moley will like. We watched this one a few weeks ago:

Midnight run with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin . Think it was on Prime, good story with a few twists and turns and comical.

On 26/08/2020 at 08:41, J.R. said:

My favorite is Idiocracy, its no box office blockbuster but really touched a nerve with me when I saw it on the TV, it was as if someone had been watching from above my dawning realisation of what the community that I chose to move into was really like after removing the rose tinted specs, it is IMO very apt for Trumps America of today and what it will become if he is re-elected.

Without spoiling the surprise someone gets transported to the future in a time machine, a future that exists in the here and now where I live and one which perhaps the majority of the planet is moving towards.

No idea if its on Netflix, I dont have anything like that but its the only DVD that I have ever bought.

I used to find idiocracy funny, now I find it terrifying and it just makes me sad.

@ColinD on topic:

Subtitled - Loved Kung Fu hustle. Lots of slapstick comedy. Not sure which service it's on but there used to be a non-monetized version on youtube. 

Edited by bspman

Ronin has to be one of the best car chases ever and it is a properly well thought out plot and very well executed.

spoiler alert.... Sean Bean doesnt die!

my recommendation

In Bruges 

dark comedic moments and very well assembled cast with excellent chemistry. im not a big colin farrell fan but he was very good in this.

id be shocked if isnt on most platforms tbh.

• Like 2

Trying to think of slightly more off beat things...

I watched "SnowPiercer" the other day, weird, weird should be terrible but was weirdly watchable (did I say it was weird) - Amazon Prime

Inception if you've not seen it.

Bridge of Spies - sounds boring but Tom hanks and Mark Rylance do a really good turn

Outland - Old 80's Sean Connery western in space

Kick Ass -

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World

Enemy Mine

Eastern Promises

Con Air - just a brilliant over the top film

Predator - the original, one of Arnie's best

Predators - should suck but actually is quite good

Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut) - the short version makes no sense, the long one is really very good

• Like 1

Maleficent.

Don't really rate Angelina Jolie, but thought she was brilliant in the role.  Didn't expect to like it.  Was totally wrong and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gaz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Trying to think of slightly more off beat things...

I watched "SnowPiercer" the other day, weird, weird should be terrible but was weirdly watchable (did I say it was weird) - Amazon Prime

Inception if you've not seen it.

Bridge of Spies - sounds boring but Tom hanks and Mark Rylance do a really good turn

Outland - Old 80's Sean Connery western in space

Kick Ass -

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World

Enemy Mine

Eastern Promises

Con Air - just a brilliant over the top film

Predator - the original, one of Arnie's best

Predators - should suck but actually is quite good

Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut) - the short version makes no sense, the long one is really very good

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off post one film

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Groan 1

If you fancy some comedy, Sacha Baron Cohen in Grimsby (The Brothers Grimsby) is a bit of a chuckle. Imagine the bald bloke from Kingsmen playing a spy and his brother is Frank Gallagher from Shameless.

• Haha 1

On 26/08/2020 at 17:49, Lady Elanore said:

'Last breath' actually a 90 min doco rather than a movie, but it plays like a movie with some genuinely astonishing footage taken from the accident. Basically about saturation divers on the sea bed tethered to a diving bell that's in turn, tethered to a ship.....that loses it's GPS lock during a storm. 

Very moving

Available on iPlayer and Netflix 

Watched this last night, superb thanks for the recommendation. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPUD122 said:

Watched this last night, superb thanks for the recommendation. 👍

Astonishing stuff isn't it. I had more than a tear in my eye at the point where a certain man sits down in the chair and the makeup person powders his face.

Best end line in any movie/doco too :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Astonishing stuff isn't it. I had more than a tear in my eye......

You and me both.  Very moving indeed.  Harrowing is another word that comes to mind.

Gaz

The one where they do an armoured vehicle, pile the gold into a bunch of Minis that are proper Minis and then dump them on their way to Geneva. Trouble is, nobody told the coach driver.....hint below.

Edited by Paul007
  • Like 1

The Peterloo Massacre. Interesting from a historical point of view. All  of the above are on either Sky Cinema or Netflix

Edited by Paul007