Yeti 2017 compared to 2013

awfabia

Some will have read my "quandary" post about how to replace my much loved and appreciated 2013 petrol 1.2 Elegance.  Because none of the current plug-in hybrids meet all our requirements we opted to look for one of the last Yetis with DSG automatic, this time.  There were a few around earlier this month so we got to choose the colour we wanted. The SE L Drive is a similar specification to the Elegance with such things as leather etc.

The improvements in specification over the Elegance include DAB radio, Sat-nav, front parking sensors, device connectivity etc. 

It also has a "drivers door open" alarm beep. 

One thing I can't seem to activate through the MaxiDot is the "chirp" from the alarm when locking or unlocking - any ideas? 

The 2013 has the chain-driven CBZ engine and the 2017 has the CYVB engine - are the camshafts belt driven on this one ? 

I was getting around 40 - 41 mpg overall on the 2013 (with a K & N air filter the only non-standard part ) which I worked out by brimming the petrol tank and regularly calculating to compare with the MaxiDot which was quite similar.  The new one is showing around 44 mpg on the MaxiDot but I haven't done enough mileage to check on the "brimming " method but Škoda claim a 3 mpg improvement over the CBZ engine. And the V.E.D.  ( Road Tax ) is marginally cheaper. 

The old one had Michelin CrossClimate tyres which I am delighted with as posted elsewhere and the new one has Nexen N Fera RU1 suv tyres, I didn't know Škoda fitted Nexen as original equipment.  The Nexens seem a bit noisier than the CrossClimates which I will fit as the Nexens wear out. 

One thing the 2017 hasn't got is the electric,  memory driver's seat which the old one has and I haven't found anyone who knows if the new one can have one fitted.

Oh! and before someone comes on and tells me that the build quality was better on pre-facelift Yeti, I needed to replace the old one as it had 111,000 miles on it and we also wanted an automatic. So far nothing seems cheaper on it. Telling me that the build quality was better on the pre-facelift would be like the removal man who said that our new house wasn't any bigger than our old one.

I've put the old one on Briskoda Classifieds as one ought not to have two Yetis. Ought one?

20200829_204219.jpg

Thats a beauty! We used to have a 12 plate Elegance. I was tossing up between an SE L Drive or L and K. The SE L seemed to be a direct replacement but went for the L and K as it had a few extras that made it an 'upgrade'.

I did exactly the same and swapped a 2012 1.2 Tsi DSG Elegance for a March 2017 (latest manufacture I could specify options on) 1.2 Tsi DSG SEL Drive with electric seat, reversing camera and adjustable boot floor. Didn’t notice any difference in build quality, if anything the 2017 model is better finished than the 2012 version. Certainly the DSG is better sorted than on the 2012 model - smoother and imperceptible hesitation compared with the older version. But then Skoda had 5 years of technical refinement they could incorporate into the later DSG box so you would expect improvements.  After 28,000 miles I have averaged since new 44.8 MPG (brim full to brim full) which seems to be as good as most modern similar vehicles achieve in real life anyway.

I couldn’t find anything better to replace my old Yeti with - hence for first time ever I bought the same model again.

Heavens knows what to do when this one needs replacing - flirted with thoughts of Kamiq, Peugeot 2008 etc. - but can’t see anything I prefer over the Yeti.

Driving like every litre is the last one on the planet I am only getting 44/45 mpg from my 2.0 TDi 108hp brim to brim (Maxidot 47.1 displays average) which is a big dissapointment after 60 mpg + Octavias, I get better mileage from a 4 mile round trip in town with a stop than I do from a 20 mile empty A road trip never exceeding 60mph with one stop.

You guys are equalling that with petrol engines and probably getting to use a lot more of their performance and on much more congested roads.

I am considering buying an older EU4 pre emissions fix one, I will check your advert out.

11 hours ago, awfabia said:

One thing I can't seem to activate through the MaxiDot is the "chirp" from the alarm when locking or unlocking - any ideas? 

In MFD
Settings
Convenience
ATA Confirm

Expatman, I couldn't find any used Yetis with the electric driver's  seat or anyone who knew if I could swap it from the old car . We find it so useful when doing a driver swap in a lay-by when on a long journey. 

When I bought my SE in 2017, electric seats were not an option in S and SE spec.  I would very much have liked electric seats but to do so would have required upgrading to SEL and then specifying electric seats.  From memory, an SEL with electric seats would have cost around £2,000 more than an SE without them, which made them a very expensive option.

1 hour ago, awfabia said:

Expatman, I couldn't find any used Yetis with the electric driver's  seat or anyone who knew if I could swap it from the old car . We find it so useful when doing a driver swap in a lay-by when on a long journey. 

That's exactly why we got electric seats, perfect seat etc  positioning after quick change of drivers on a long journey - also on day to day variable usage. We also find an the dipping near side mirror very useful as well. However I think the rear view camera is the star attraction.

I was lucky in buying new the SEL Drive variant at the end of the production run - lots of goodies included but still able to add extras. And, of course, Skoda (UK) intercepted the dealer factory order so I got the 16" wheels I wanted.

All in all a great car that perfectly fits my needs.

18 minutes ago, awfabia said:

That's exactly why we bought another Yeti......

Exactly. We replaced ours with a lovely specced up Octavia estate, which I promptly sold 18 months later to get another Yeti! The Octavia just had no personality (something only Yeti owners understand!)

• Like 1

I think the unique appeal of the Yeti is summed up by the continued activity in this Forum 3 years after the Yeti was axed.

I have watched other forums for similar vehicles and there is less activity on them even though the cars are relatively new and in production.

Must mean something!

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 3

better late than never  ??????  Am about to join the Yeti brigade - 

Have looked at and tried, several times, both a Kamiq, and Mazda CX3 - but neither did it for me on enough of the fundamentals of driving- 

So have now 'reserved' a 2016 Yeti 1.2TSI SE with 23k on the clock - test drive in a couple of days time - so have digits crossed..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stonyb1 said:

better late than never  ??????  Am about to join the Yeti brigade - 

Have looked at and tried, several times, both a Kamiq, and Mazda CX3 - but neither did it for me on enough of the fundamentals of driving- 

So have now 'reserved' a 2016 Yeti 1.2TSI SE with 23k on the clock - test drive in a couple of days time - so have digits crossed..

Lovely! Good luck with the test drive. My old Yeti and Octavia were the 1.2tsi - cracking little engine.

gregwhates: - as you say 1.2tsi good engine.  I just don't like the 3 pot engines which seem to be the norm nowadays - something about their characteristics which I don't like.

Another reason for going Yeti is no lane assist -  which is now standard on most/all new cars,

On 29/08/2020 at 22:47, J.R. said:

Driving like every litre is the last one on the planet I am only getting 44/45 mpg from my 2.0 TDi 108hp brim to brim (Maxidot 47.1 displays average) which is a big dissapointment after 60 mpg + Octavias, I get better mileage from a 4 mile round trip in town with a stop than I do from a 20 mile empty A road trip never exceeding 60mph with one stop.

You guys are equalling that with petrol engines and probably getting to use a lot more of their performance and on much more congested roads.

I am considering buying an older EU4 pre emissions fix one, I will check your advert out.

But you are never going to get comparable consumption figures between a Yeti and an Octi. The Octi is lower, lighter and more aerodynamic. whereas the Yeti is a heavy brick. 

Agreed, not sure the Octavia is lighter although with my driving profile the weight is a de minimus factor.

I think the Tonka toy stance the large gap between wheels & wheel arches also make a difference plus the 4x4 system, the Greenline made for economy and low emissions ratings is much lower.

I was not expecting comparable but significantly better than I am getting, remember I am driving even more for economy than before.

It used to be that the later generation engines gave better economy, my chauffeur pal sold me my MK1 Octavia 110hp TDi  and replaced it with a Touran TDi 170hp DSG and he got better economy from that, he visited me in France and I was booked on the same Dieppe ferry as his return, we reset our fuel computers and drove in convoy, exactly the same speed & acceleration etc over 110 miles (approx) the Touran returned better MPG than the Octavia, granted I did not have VCDS then to adjust the maxidot display but he drove 80K miles a year and kept monthly and yearly figures of mileage and fuel consumed, I believe him when he said that the Touran was more economical regardless of what the Maxidot figures were.

And it doesn't help when you get people posting sometimes implausible consumption figures on the forum.

What long term fuel consumption figures have any of you got from your diesel Yeti's and were they 4x4?

We ran a 1.2TSi Yeti and 1.2TSi Octavia at the same time. 

The Octavia averaged 10mpg more than the Yeti over our ownership.

We still have the 1.2TSi Octavia but now have a 2.0TDi Yeti.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Agreed, not sure the Octavia is lighter although with my driving profile the weight is a de minimus factor.

I think the Tonka toy stance the large gap between wheels & wheel arches also make a difference plus the 4x4 system, the Greenline made for economy and low emissions ratings is much lower.

I was not expecting comparable but significantly better than I am getting, remember I am driving even more for economy than before.

It used to be that the later generation engines gave better economy, my chauffeur pal sold me my MK1 Octavia 110hp TDi  and replaced it with a Touran TDi 170hp DSG and he got better economy from that, he visited me in France and I was booked on the same Dieppe ferry as his return, we reset our fuel computers and drove in convoy, exactly the same speed & acceleration etc over 110 miles (approx) the Touran returned better MPG than the Octavia, granted I did not have VCDS then to adjust the maxidot display but he drove 80K miles a year and kept monthly and yearly figures of mileage and fuel consumed, I believe him when he said that the Touran was more economical regardless of what the Maxidot figures were.

And it doesn't help when you get people posting sometimes implausible consumption figures on the forum.

What long term fuel consumption figures have any of you got from your diesel Yeti's and were they 4x4?

My old 1.2tsi used to get mid 30s mpg, if I remember correctly. The 1.2 Octavia got mid to high 40s. My 2.0 diesel 4x4 Yeti averages out at low 40s.

• Like 1

My 1.2 TSI DSG has averaged 44.8 MPG since new on a brim full to brim full basis. However it is very dependent on terrain and how you drive, also weather. If you cruise much in excess of 70 on the motorway the consumption increases, if you take full advantage of the spirited performance then consumption increases and if you are driving into a strong headwind consumption increases. None of which is surprising because the Yeti has the aerodynamics of a brick! However if you drive normally (okay can't influence weather) and generally run with the flow of traffic rather than having to prove your manhood by being at the head of the queue, then the Yeti can return excellent economy. 

Best consumption was over 46.5 on quiet rural roads on holiday in Norfolk, worst was 34 driving to Cornwall in the face of howling headwind at high speed on motorway for family emergency. 

Overall I'm pleased with consumption but really it's not a big deal for me as I only do about 9k per year.

Edited by Expatman
Incorrect data 46.5 NOT 48 as mistakenly types originally
  • Like 1

I would be delighted with that from a petrol engine developing huge power for its displacement.

Diesel is still cheaper than petrol here at present.

Mine is showing 47.3 average for the long term figure on the Maxidot and calculates out to 44.something on each brim to brim refuel.

I just cant get over it being more economical on a 2 x 2 mile stop start town drive starting with a cold engine than 2 x 10 mile A road run never exceeding 60 mph, no traffic, no hold ups, no stops and from a warm engine. And barely any better on a 180 mile motorway/autoroute trip never exceeding 70 mph, it just doesn't make sense and bears no relation to any of my vehicles after 30 + years of MPG watching.

Keep the figures coming, thanks for those so far.

My remapped 150 TDI 4x4 is showing a long term average of 40 mpg which probably translates to c. 37 mpg true.  I think that's pretty good return on the way that I drive it.

Our 2012 Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG averaged 40.7 mpg over 39000 miles.  Our 2015 Yeti 2.0 TDI 170 DSG has so far averaged 45.5 mpg over 40000 miles.  Same drivers, similar journeys.  Both figures brim-to-brim, not Maxidot, which was/is invariably optimistic (2% in the TSI, 6% in the TDI).

Edited by Zib
Added Maxidot info