Roomster replacement

My Roomster is approaching 6yrs, with only 42k on the clock. I would normally get a replacement by now to avoid the incoming repair bills, but I am struggling to find something suitable. The Roomster is so spacious and versatile, but I am increasingly finding the ride and road noise wearisome. There is nothing in the current Skoda range that appeals. I have variously considered Golf SV - expensive and not quite spacious enough; Touran - again overly expensive. Latterly I have been considering Citroens, in particular the C4 Spacetourer 5 seater and the Berlingo M, mainly for comfort reasons . I've never had a French car, always had VW-stable cars and l'm a little bit apprehensive as you used to hear horror stories about reliability and complexity.

I'd appreciate hearing any  opinions from others who are thinking of changing their Roomster for something else.

I researched tyres and decided to replace the original Continentals with Michelins, as the Michelins are supposed to be quieter. I didn't find much difference.

As far as suspension mods are concerned, I've never heard of any that soften the suspension.

My previous diesel-engined Roomster seemed to ride better, perhaps the heavier engine had that effect?

It's a question that has been asked before on this forum ,with no real answer found.Nothing matches its carrying capacity for its small wheelbase as far as I know.For me the only replacement  should I need one is another secondhand  Roomster with a mileage between 40 and 80k. To me its a workhorse and not about refinement. The only problem the Roomster seems to throw up is the broken door loom wiring ,which I think should be a DIY prospect.Don,t know about DSG does that cause reliability problems?

Everything regarding motoring is so uncertain at the moment ,so I will stick with what I know ,till Im forced to change.

Edited by bobspark
POSTED EARLY IN ERROR
  • Like 1

I would stay with it. The Roomster is brilliant  and mileage and age is nothing to worry about. Returning from Cornwall this weekend mainly the broken down vehicles being attended to by the breakdown services were the Audi's and BMW's while I soldiered pass with a smug look on my face.

• Like 3

Ha!reminds me of travelling ( or crawling) on the A38 to Devon and Cornwall before the motorways were built,and there would always be a big hold up at North Petherton  with cars overheating on mass.I had my second hand VW beetle, air cooled of course and could feel pretty smug,as it would never overheat.Mind you driving a beetle in those days you were thought of as being a little odd.And I'm sure people think the same today about me driving a Roomster.Thankfully today car engine  cooling systems are a lot more reliable.

And on reflection on recent similar trips on the motorway it is still one long crawl at times,so nothing changes!

Well I changed mine. I had to as a need of 4x4 came up to family. So I sold the Roomie that grew up my children and served us for 10 years and 153.000Km and bought a used MK1 2003 Octavia 1.8T 4x4 Estate / Combi (1U5) having 178.000km on clock from a private seller.

Unfortunately there is no chance for buying a brand new car. 

It was a very interesting decade being part of the Roomster section of Briskoda. Roomsterians are amazing bunch of fellas, kind and helpful thus I will keep visiting this corner of Briskoda. I would like to thank you all for all help you gave to me. 

• Like 3

There is no direct replacement for the short, spacious roomster

Possibly the Ford Tourneo Courier, but not same size (not the similar named tourneo connect, which may cause confusion)

The Peugeot Rifter appears or Citroen Berlingo seem to be a possible alternative.  Nothing in VW Group.  

Size wise the Nissan NV200 could just about be there, but again not as cheap as a Roomster.  These days replacement choice is very limited

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

There is no direct replacement for the short, spacious roomster

I agree.

Ford Tourneo Courier has considerable appeal but it's only available with diesel engine and manual gearbox, and the rear seats do not unclip.  My pattern of use would kill a diesel engine.

Berlingo/Rifter/Combo appeal but auto gearbox was not available with petrol engine last time I looked.  And my experience with an early Berlingo was enough to put me off Citroen/PSA vehicles for life.

NV200 had considerable appeal but again, it was only available with diesel engine.  (Latest NV200s are EV only, and something I might consider in the future).

I found the only vehicle that came close to the short, spacious Roomster was the Yeti - which is why I bagged a 1.2tsi DSG before it went out of production.  While I love my Yeti, I consider my Roomster Scout by some margin the best vehicle I have ever owned... and probably ever will own.  Irreplaceable even?

• Like 1

I may have jumped the gun over Roomsters being problem free ,except for door wiring looms ,as the recent post on 1.2 tsi timing chair says otherwise. And when you google it ,a lot of issues are thrown up.I won't say any more as I am not qualified on the matter.Not noticed the Ford Tourneo Courier before it does seem to match the Roomster on carrying capacity.

I have tried to improve the ride and fitted a pair of Monroe O.E Spectrum rear shock absorbers, easy to change, the car has done 50k miles.  But I was unable to detect any difference. I did the rears first as it was an easy job. But I could not justify the effort of changing the front ones. I really like the car with its DSG box but would like to make it more comfortable.

Bit of a black art shocks. 

I do RC racing, different springs, different grades of oil, mixing the two gives you different characteristics when racing. 

It's the same with full size. 

I want to refresh our cars and change our 2007 Scout 1.9tdi, but at about 100k the car feels like new. 

If there's a criticism its the engine which feels like a tractor compared to our 2.0tdi Yeti, and of course it's still too small and low for me to get in and out of without showing my pants ...

Suspension if taught, handling is great, economy excellent and the interior is unmarked and very clean ... what am I going to get that will touch that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 23:05, moleinaroomster said:

My Roomster is approaching 6yrs, with only 42k on the clock. I would normally get a replacement by now to avoid the incoming repair bills, but I am struggling to find something suitable. The Roomster is so spacious and versatile, but I am increasingly finding the ride and road noise wearisome. There is nothing in the current Skoda range that appeals. I have variously considered Golf SV - expensive and not quite spacious enough; Touran - again overly expensive. Latterly I have been considering Citroens, in particular the C4 Spacetourer 5 seater and the Berlingo M, mainly for comfort reasons . I've never had a French car, always had VW-stable cars and l'm a little bit apprehensive as you used to hear horror stories about reliability and complexity.

I'd appreciate hearing any  opinions from others who are thinking of changing their Roomster for something else.

Mine is 7 years old and done 40k. The paint is like new and drives like new - its a keeper. For what you spend on repairs will be dwarfed by the £s you lose on depreciation if you buy a new model

Edited by edbostan

It is still a tough vehicle to replace. Nobody makes anything as practical in as small and comfortable a package with as many options as the Roomster had. I know what you mean about the noise, most of the time it never bothered me but occasionally I would find myself wishing it was quieter. You could put more sound deadening material over the wheel arches and in the  spare wheel well to help with that.

We upgraded to a Karoq Scout and while it is a nice car, I can't get to love it. And the Vario-flex seats are wasted in it, they aren't as easy to use and there's a horrible step from the boot floor down to the actual floor which is useless for larger items.

I always thought the Golf SV looked like a blown up Roomster but for it being a larger vehicle, I don't imagine it has any more space in it. I've never had a chance to look at one though.

Berlingos are comfortable enough, they just don't feel as well built as a VW Group product. The newer ones are a lot bigger now too. And they're still just a van.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think vehicle manufacturers have missed a trick by not building a Roomster type of vehicle but looking at it from a business point of view the Roomster didn’t sell in enough quantities or at least in the UK. It could be argued that Skoda missed a trick by not marketing the Roomster, I don’t remember seeing adverts for it. I’m sure if the Roomster was publicised it would of been a huge success.

Unfortunately manufacturers seem hell bent on building overly expensive hybrid or full electric vehicles to meet future restrictions. 

Im no fan of modern diesel engines with their DPFs and Adblu systems either, you really need to be running high miles to run one of those without DPF problems.

our Roomster was meant to be my daily driver when we bought it and eventually replacing an aged Nissan Terrano that my wife drives but the Terrano is now 21 years old solid and passing MOTs.

No plans on getting rid of the Roomster anytime soon, just fixed the door wiring loom which is the first fault in 5 1/2 years.

• Like 1

What is the driving experience of the Roomster like compared to an Octavia or Yeti?

I am sold on the packaging, I would accept the lower driving position but am not sure if it feels like a small hatchback (the Fabia) to drive or drives like a much bigger car.

I much prefer the Yeti to the previous Octavias but I think the only tangible difference is the seating position and height.

I have driven a Yeti courtesy car and my brother-in-laws Yeti. to be honest I have never considered the Roomster to be low. Previously I had a Fiat Multipla and never felt disadvantaged when I changed to the Roomster. My brother-in-law always wants to drive my Roomster if I let him.

• Like 1