Dashcam fitting

Ethaley0

Hi All,

I am struggling with fitting a dashcam to my new Kamiq. It seems that every fuse I attempt to piggyback the dashcam on is a permanent live & not a switched/ignition live, even the rear window heater fuse! Has anyone had this issue? And how have you worked around it? 
Cheers 

I have read that some fuses remain live for up to 20 mins after you shut down.

Are you sure they are all staying "live" ?

What does your manual say?

There must be some switchable fuses in there ..... 😄

1 hour ago, Sofo said:

I have read that some fuses remain live for up to 20 mins after you shut down.

Are you sure they are all staying "live" ?

What does your manual say?

There must be some switchable fuses in there ..... 😄

I can’t see anything in the manual about which fuses are switched and which aren’t which is a pain, I’ve tried fuses which should be off when the car is off eg window wiper & rear window heater as two examples, but the cam continues being charged! I have just tried waiting 20 mins to no success aswell :( 

23 hours ago, Liammac said:

Good Morning,

I had the same problem when I fitted my dash cam.  I eventually piggy backed to no 45 (Windscreen Wipers). No problems since.

Good luck, Liam

Thanks, i have connected it to no 43 as there was no fuse in 45 for some reason, and it works! 

• Like 1

On 03/09/2020 at 13:05, fergiet said:

I cheated and got dealer to fit my dash cam f.o.c.....

Who is this mythical dealer that does work FOC?

Such things are dreams made of ..... :biggrin:

When I bought my last Yeti the dealers absolutely refused to fit the dashcam for me never mind f.o.c. I didn't even bother asking when I bought my Kamiq.

Edited by longedge

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2020 at 11:09, Ethaley0 said:

Thanks, i have connected it to no 43 as there was no fuse in 45 for some reason, and it works! 

Same for me no fuse 45.

Can confirm fuse 43 works great on my Kamiq

• 1 month later...

Fuse 46 is an ACC fuse and turns off with ignition

See this reply for how to get the wire behind the airbag

I did my BV 750S at the weekend  . Used fuse 46 as we dont need heated seats where i live.. Ran the cable across along firewall behind centre console and the up the left hand trim edge to top of A pillar trim.. Couldnt get the trim off easily so i wedged top outer edge open a bit and slid a heavy bit of cable tie in behind airbag and out to between top of trim and windscreen. Then along inside headliner edge to the  Camera which is at top of screen to the left of centre binnacle same as I have in my Tiguan.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Rear Master OBD plug in cable fitted with my 312GW dash cam, 15 - 20 minutes.

Assuming Gumdrop means one of these;   https://www.amazon.co.uk/REARMASTER-Universal-Camera-Surveillance-switch/dp/B074YZ1GKL/ref=sr_1_11?crid=KJXR64BPXDMW&dchild=1&keywords=obd+dash+cam+cable&qid=1634464484&qsid=259-3973935-5165201&sprefix=dash+cam+cable+with+obd+%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-11&sres=B07TV2Y6XB%2CB06XS33J2N%2CB07FM1DTTV%2CB071CZBV2D%2CB08LSFH1DJ%2CB08JLRRYRW%2CB07YBKRKKC%2CB074YZ1GKL%2CB09199ZY8P%2CB07F71RBR8%2CB094Y3KNFJ%2CB07TZ331NP%2CB071JSLT95%2CB07Q29JZZY%2CB07PLVLN7Q%2CB07PV8NSF2

I've done the same - easy to fit inside the trims and works well. Be sure the one you buy has a USB plug that fits your dash cam. Mine didn't, so I had to buy an adaptor which was cheap and no problem.

Only problem I had was deciding which mode it was switched to.

I want '0' that goes off with the ignition. The other '-' remains on

until switched or battery usage goes down to 11.5 vdc and the

unit switches off.

Edited by gumdrop

On 17/10/2021 at 10:59, olderman1 said:

Which dashcam do you have, please. I'm using a Next Base 312GW

34 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

Which dashcam do you have, please. I'm using a Next Base 312GW

The quick answer is a Azdome GS65H. I bought this to replace another make because it has GPS inbuilt and I thought that having GPS would prevent me from forever losing the time and date. Well it doesn't because it retains the date and time in its memory and doesn't pick it up via GPS, so when it hasn't been used for several hours, the date/time has to be re entered, which on this model is a pain to do.

My son tells me his Nextbase does retain the time/date, as does another member here. So I wish now I'd spent the extra for a Nextbase - but even they have problems !!

7 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

Thank you, the reason I asked is because my ODB threw a wobbly and I have to send it back.

The 312GW Nextbase is very good!

That's bad news,  mine is the same make as yours 😒

Does your Nextbase retain the time/date even if it's been switched off for some time ? Mind you, if I buy another dash cam my financial director will be having stern words I expect 😉.

After a couple of online chats with Nextbase, I've ordered a 322GW with a 10% discount they gave me. They've assured me that the unit will keep the time/date for ages unless the battery expires. The good thing being, the battery is replaceable. Another thing I like is that a rearview camera can be easily added.

They don't however recommend that the unit is powered by a lead from the OBD socket, but I'll take my chances with that. Another downside is that I've had to buy a more upmarket SD card, bugt not from them as they're expensive.

I would go with Fuse 43, which is the rear washer wiper.  This is a switched power connection and my concern about taking power from ACC is that this is a mission critical system and I am not sure how CANBUS generally appreciates the fluctuations of power from that feed.  It could cause some unnecessary errors.

• Love it! 1