Dashcam fitting

Ethaley0

I was going to attempt it today but weather was bad!

A brief video would be great showing the routing and tips,

but in the meantime ......

could you please confirm the following regarding the front camera fitting:

did you need to remove any of the sound proofing under the dash/stowage box to route the cable?

did you route it between the roof lining across the joint at the top of the A pillar (by releasing the the top of the A pillar cover) then around the door seal and back at the joint towards the stowage box?

Sorry if terminology is not 100%!

Thanks

Lucky have a carport so was under cover nice n dry...... Don't worry about terminology I'm as bad.... So yes the sound proofing (the felty type stuff yeah?) underneath there are plenty of gaps to put the wiring in. This was the easiest part of the lot underneath and across to the right hand fuse box. So along the roof you can just prise it open just enough for the wiring to push through, where it can then be held enough. Going down the left pillar then, again prising the plastic trim just enough for the wire, then pushing the rest of the wire down near enough prises open the trim as you go down.  It's also covered by the rubber door seal. 

Then before cutting across underneath the dash from left to right, theres a joint between the pillar trim and the floor trim, ended up tucking the cable between the joint, and under the dash, tucked under then all the way from left to right. 

I'll do a quick video tomorrow and put it up on YouTube. 

Edited by ryan-vrs

Thanks for the info that will further reduce risk of problems!

I am still deciding on a dash cam but have a hard wire kit and hope to do it next week.

• 5 weeks later...

Have fitted the Next base Dashcam complete with rear camera. Took ages but very pleased with the result especially the rear camera wiring under the boot trim, through the boot grommet, headlining down the left side floor and up the A pillar. 3 hours but worth it.  Have connected it to a permanent live as it has a "parking mode"

Problem now is I'm getting "charge the battery by driving" 

So, what to do. Revert to a switched live? Maybe remove shunt resistor? Leave as is?

Car is only 5 months old. It's never failed to start so I believe the Dashcam is powering down at some point but my concern is fort the battery's health.

All suggestions welcome.

Just for completeness,  fitted the dash-cam a couple of weeks ago and all is OK.

FWIW I piggy-backed on to fuse 43,  bought a cigarette socket and used the supplied lead as a voltage reducer.  Fed lead with a thick wire across to LH side and up and across windscreen as advised.  All invisible except about 20mm across to the lower door seal but does not show as both cable and plastic are black!

Tucked excess cable in space with cable ties.

PS I got the tip to use socket with original cable from a local professional fitter, he did not like to use Ebay power converters!

Hope the above may help others.