MY 21 - infotainment

KevinF

We got our MY '21 on Friday, and found the Amundsen infotanement software notably different to the earlier version.

In particular, the radio element seems wedded to DAB. I would much rather listen to R3 on FM. We have a strong FM signal from our local transmitter, yet the Amundsen, even with FM selected, insists on tuning to DAB.

Is there a Skoda technician here who can point me to a work-around?

• john999boy changed the title to MY 21 - infotainment

Odd... presumably there's a setting in the radio menu that is telling it to use the DAB rather than the FM (on my Golf I know there's a setting that tells the car to switch to FM when a DAB station fades out). Isn't there a way to store a preset on the FM band so it chooses that? 

Can you confirm that the SD card reader (and CD player) are not fitted to the Amundsen now? From the manual, it looks like \i will have to transfer my media files from an SD card or CD to a USB drive instead (and put up with it sticking up in front of the gear lever :( 

Edited by CJJE

If you get a 90 degree usb adaptor (See Amazon £5.99 for two), you can hide a usb drive ( or in my case an iPod ), in the cubby hole and close the sliding cover?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Merlinman said:

If you get a 90 degree usb adaptor (See Amazon £5.99 for two), you can hide a usb drive ( or in my case an iPod ), in the cubby hole and close the sliding cover?

Is that a USB-C adaptor though? I'll have a look but surprisingly USB-C drives are actually a lot bigger than some of the old USB drives I've got for my PC.  

PS: Yes they are! Thanks I'll have to get some :)

Edited by CJJE
typo correction and additional PS

13 hours ago, CJJE said:

Odd... presumably there's a setting in the radio menu that is telling it to use the DAB rather than the FM (on my Golf I know there's a setting that tells the car to switch to FM when a DAB station fades out). Isn't there a way to store a preset on the FM band so it chooses that? 

Can you confirm that the SD card reader (and CD player) are not fitted to the Amundsen now? From the manual, it looks like \i will have to transfer my media files from an SD card or CD to a USB drive instead (and put up with it sticking up in front of the gear lever :( 

Thanks for your response. I did try yesterday setting FM stations under pre-sets, having selected FM in Advanced Settings, and it was fine until I turned the ignition off. When I re-started the car the FM stations had been replaced by DAB tunings. It seems to be a software glitch that is preventing FM pre-sets to *stick* after a re-start. I am going to try a factory re-set of the Amundsen today and see whether that resolves the issue. If the sound quality of FM was not so much better than DAB I'd just go with the status quo.

And yes, there are two USB C ports in the phone/lighter tray. No SD card slots.

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2020 at 09:01, KevinF said:

Thanks for your response. I did try yesterday setting FM stations under pre-sets, having selected FM in Advanced Settings, and it was fine until I turned the ignition off. When I re-started the car the FM stations had been replaced by DAB tunings. It seems to be a software glitch that is preventing FM pre-sets to *stick* after a re-start. I am going to try a factory re-set of the Amundsen today and see whether that resolves the issue. If the sound quality of FM was not so much better than DAB I'd just go with the status quo.

And yes, there are two USB C ports in the phone/lighter tray. No SD card slots.

Disapointed to hear that there is no SD card slot for media (in earlier years there were two SD card slots in the glove box, one for media and one for Maps for the sat nav.  TBH I also don't like the chage to USB-C ports as nothing comes with a USB-C  to USB-C cable. My phone came with a USB A to USB-C cable.  Is the removable torch gone from the boot? Why to you want to listen to FM instead of DAB???

Edited by KaroqHenry

I agree the change from USB A to USB C is a minor pain. I bought a 128 Gig Sandisk USB A/C flashstick and transferred my music files to it, and a short USB A-C cable for the iPhone.

There is no removeable torch in the boot (Sportline trim), but there is still a brolly under the front passenger seat.

One thing on which both my wife and I are sure is that the MY21 Sportline has a softer spring-rate than the previous MY which we drove for a week and a half prior to the arrival of the new one, yet body roll and overall control on corners feels on a par. It results in a less jiggly ride on the 19" wheels. This, we agree, is a positive.

The sound quality of DAB is markedly inferior to that of FM, particularly on BBC R3 where many broadcasts are uncompressed. A similar difference is audible between .MP3 and lossless files such as .WAV. Even the cheap-as-chips standard audio fit on the Karoq is capable of showing up the gulf in quality.

Edited by KevinF

1 hour ago, KevinF said:

I agree the change from USB A to USB C is a minor pain. I bought a 128 Gig Sandisk USB A/C flashstick and transferred my music files to it, and a short USB A-C cable for the iPhone.

There is no removeable torch in the boot (Sportline trim), but there is still a brolly under the front passenger seat.

One thing on which both my wife and I are sure is that the MY21 Sportline has a softer spring-rate than the previous MY which we drove for a week and a half prior to the arrival of the new one, yet body roll and overall control on corners feels on a par. It results in a less jiggly ride on the 19" wheels. This, we agree, is a positive.

The sound quality of DAB is markedly inferior to that of FM, particularly on BBC R3 where many broadcasts are uncompressed. A similar difference is audible between .MP3 and lossless files such as .WAV. Even the cheap-as-chips standard audio fit on the Karoq is capable of showing up the gulf in quality.

That really is bad.  They degrade the car specification without amending the price.  Removing the SD card slot, the standard USB A port, the torch and a spoke from the steering wheel (new one looks like a three spoke wheel that has had the vertival spoke sawn off) without as far as I can see adding anything. Not happy I ordered the car based on a test drive in a car that had all those features :(

15 minutes ago, KaroqHenry said:

That really is bad.  They degrade the car specification without amending the price.  Removing the SD card slot, the standard USB A port, the torch and a spoke from the steering wheel (new one looks like a three spoke wheel that has had the vertival spoke sawn off) without as far as I can see adding anything. Not happy I ordered the car based on a test drive in a car that had all those features :(

Photos of steering wheel and USB C ports, memory stick and iPhone lead inserted.

wheel.jpg

USB.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KevinF said:

Photos of steering wheel and USB C ports, memory stick and iPhone lead inserted.

wheel.jpg

USB.jpg

Looks lovely. I like the new wheel. 

What is in the back on the centre console please. Underneath the vents, 12v or USB C? 

At the back of the centre console, facing the rear seats is a 12V socket.

The new wheel has a good tactile feel. The palm/finger swell is comfortable and the perforations make string-backed gloves unnecessary.

;)

The heated wheel function gets my wife's enthusiastic approval.

Overall build quality of the car is good. It feels well put together and the surfaces that one can touch while sitting are in the main fair soft-ish quality. Ours has the seemingly *standard* feature for a Karoq with the powered tailgate; the door doesn't quite sit flush with the side panels at the bottom near the bumper. I am sure this is a matter of adjustment at the first service, or beforehand if it annoys me that much in the meantime.

Having moved from a late '17 Octava with the same engine, we know what MPG it should be capable of. What we like is that in the Karoq the engine noise is even more subdued than it was in the Octavia. There is also noticeably less engine vibration intruding into the cabin. In any gear it is creamy smooth.

• Like 1

Another unpublicised change for MY21 is that the heated windscreen option, while jumping from £280 to £370 has also changed to the wire-free version (instead of having thin wires buried in the glass) according to the German Karoq forum. 

I've seen threads where people had said they have to learn to 'look through' the wires by not focussing on them, but that they can be distracting at night if other lights are diffracted by them, so I'm glad the Karoq has now joined other VW cars in using the wire-free version.  

I wouldn’t worry about the wired screens.  I’ve been driving LRs with them for about 15 years up to 2018 and never found them noticeable or distracting.  Yes, you can see them if you focus on the screen but if you’re looking beyond the bonnet then you, well I, don’t see them.

Unfortunately I don’t have a heated screen on mine, nor heated seats, nor heated steering wheel, as I had on my last Disco 4.  And I live in the Highlands.  I’m going to miss them. :crying:

Both my previous Yeti and my current Karoq have had factory fitted heated windscreens. Although the laminated wires are visible in certain lights and from some angles in no way are they a distraction. 

Heated windscreens are a massive bonus, especially for vehicles that live outside.

As above I`ve had a Ford with heated screen and no issues - can see the wires if you go looking for them.

Anyone have any info on how effective the wireless screen is. Dealer notified me of the price increase but they are covering the increase.

I’m glad I found this.

My previous Yetis all had heated screens and you could see the element.

I noticed that the Kodiaq doesn’t have any visible elements so was a bit concerned that it had not been fitted as ordered.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation  how the wireless screens work please.

TiA

1 hour ago, CFB said:

I noticed that the Kodiaq doesn’t have any visible elements so was a bit concerned that it had not been fitted as ordered.

This may help:-

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CFB said:

I’m glad I found this.

TiA

Hot air is blown up the inside of the windscreen. 

• Haha 1

Is that an improvement?  The electric element style would get to work pretty quickly, blown warm air won’t start until there is a decent amount of heat in the engine.