Covid 19 Testing - £££!

john999boy

I've been feeling dog rough for the last 3 - 4weeks. No energy, not eating/can't eat/can't chew. Constantly sweating then shivering. Bed wet through with sweat.

Sore joints, It's been a pain to walk. Sometimes struggling to breathe properly.

The mrs ( a nurse) organized a covid test (3 weeks ago). Nearest place for it was Doncaster airport. I went on the Friday and by sunday i'd been texted a negative result.

2 weeks passed and I'm still feeling the same, so the mrs organized a home test this time - because the doctors at 111 suggested I should do another,

The test kit came on the monday evening via amazon delivery, from Glasgow!

Did the test, which nearly made me puke btw,and sent it back Tuesday morning at the post office.

I'm still waiting for the result, and im still feeling ****

In between all this, ive been told my hip op is still on hold, and ive been informed i'll have to have surgery to my left shoulder, as I've got a snapped tendon.

What with a finger that's been pinned back on earlier this year, im having a great year.

At least im alive, but life wont be **** forever will it.

I suppose CV19 is the easiest ailment to blame at the moment but in your case it would appear to be another equally horrible problem that's struck you down!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :thumbup:

Today was time for the second test (still don't know the results of the first one), and also received the Golden Hello info.

NINTCHDBPICT000441292664-e1541152688205.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Baroness Dido Harding's husband John Penrose MP gets told to self isolate via a phone app. but he says that his good lady has not been told to.

Maybe they never see each other since they are so busy working for the UK population, so are already social distanced so that is why she has not to self isolate.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-54879756

• Haha 2

About half the jobs I do, I need to be tested for. I get Thunderbirds 'Mole' up me 'ooter and down the back of me throat. The good news is we get the result back the next day, the bad news is I get more apprehensive about the swabs every time I have a test. I am starting to involuntarily pull away when the cotton bud/lance moves towards my face. :sweat: Personally I hate the tests with a passion, although some colleagues don't seem to mind so much ..... I am a snowflake :D 

I had a test yesterday, it was like a long version of the tiny brush my dentist gave me instead of floss tickling the back of my nose, (the nurse didn't swab down my throat), it brought tears to my eyes trying not to giggle. It is infinitely nicer than the camera which is going down my throat on Friday.....

Edited by P6bJOHN

• 4 months later...

Another session of testing over the weekend after missing out last month.

It seems the testers get a list of their 'victims' late in the afternoon and they must be completed the following day. No room for any adjustments as it seems a case of if you can't make it then you miss it.

The accompanying questions have also shown a degree of adaptation due to the current situation. Not a bad thing.

• 1 month later...

The system of testing is changing.

The suitably qualified testers are having their contracts changed. Some will no doubt re-sign up to (presumably) 'lesser' contracts but it is being done to enable nurses etc to change their role to actually administer more jabs.

The upshot is that a new self administered blood test has been introduced.

A letter was received informing about this change and the first session has now been done.

It took a third attempt to get enough blood but practice makes perfect and I'm now suitably genned up for the next time plus the survey has been extended until April 2022.

1758145761_Fingerprick2.thumb.jpg.6effbdfd7efef7a7943859c01e8c7cfb.jpg

Edited by john999boy
Typo

31 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Covid tests 98.5% negative; can you say "scam"?

Actually, I don't understand what you mean?

Are you saying that the survey operated on behalf of the ONS is a scam?

10 hours ago, john999boy said:

Actually, I don't understand what you mean?

Are you saying that the survey operated on behalf of the ONS is a scam?

Hint - People are being charged money to be tested for a disease that they almost certainly don't actually have.

• Confused 1

You're a little bit out there - The test volunteers are being paid*, not charged, to do the test.

In the case of the ONS study, the swab test is the "have I got it?" and the finger pr1ck is the "have I had it?" test.

*Well, given vouchers to the value of, because paying cold hard cash for medical samples is a bit frowned upon.

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Hint - People are being charged money to be tested for a disease that they almost certainly don't actually have.

Err.  You've got the wrong end of the stick there...   Its the other way round for the ONS survey testing (the money side that is)

On 16/10/2020 at 19:47, john999boy said:

I suppose CV19 is the easiest ailment to blame at the moment but in your case it would appear to be another equally horrible problem that's struck you down!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :thumbup:

Today was time for the second test (still don't know the results of the first one), and also received the Golden Hello info.

NINTCHDBPICT000441292664-e1541152688205.

Bit of a slow reply on my part here, but the reason the results took longer at the time was because NHS tests had priority in analysis and reporting over research tests. Back in October, lots more symptomatic tests were being done compared to now, where we're in a much better situation as a country.

Sorry Ken,

It is real, there are a few things they're looking at mainly around tracking things like infections, immunity etc over time to allow evidence gathering for future decisions.

The data that comes from these things is hugely useful for predicting length of immunity, frequency of boosters etc, as well as just generally seeing infections.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I wish I was getting paid to be tested, seems to be the other way around for me lately :D 

That's because blue blood needs a different test! :handshake:

Anyway due to being a Yorkshireman and adhering to the blood out of a stone saying, I had to have a couple of goes to get the requisite amount. The first time looked like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre but without the red stuff going where it should have gone.

There's a lot to be done to earn the few quid remuneration!

• Haha 1