2021 Model L&K Superb IV Estate (UK)

For a holiday-like journey, let say mainly highway at an average of 110 km/h or 70 mph, my assumption would be that a range 800 km is easily achievable in hybrid mode. I would expect the battery to be depleted way before arriving to destination if no external of engine charge occurs. If an external charge is done at some point during the trip, that would be a game changer as the fuel consumption would stay low during the vast majority of the trip.

Of course, that would depend on many factors (slope being the biggest one I think). From my observation, as long as the battery is not depleted, and with a reasonable driving style, the average consumption will unlikely go over 4l/100km at that speed.

The fuel tank can hold 50 litres, that includes the reserve of around 5 litres, if I am not mistaken.

• Thanks 1

You say Average though.  In imperial the 50 litres is near 11 gallons, and 11 times 71 mpg average is 780 miles is 1,255km

I would hope that 800 km / 497 miles is easily achievable. 

That would be only getting 45 mpg from the petrol with the electric assistance that you had as well.

The actual petrol consumption ( orAverage MPG), from 50 litres of fuel used with no charge at the start of a journey would be good to know.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Well, yes. But my overall average is composed of mostly < 50km (31mi) trips, with every time a full charge done. I wouldn't say it's representative of a holiday-like long journey.

On a long journey, you cannot assume that the electric assistance will be available from beginning to end, because the battery will ultimately be depleted at some point. The low consumption achieved with the battery charged has to be counterbalanced with the higher one once the battery power is gone.

71 mpg in a Superb IV for petrol only driving is extremely unlikely.  I have the same car and can only manage at best 46 mpg with careful driving.

Is it possible that this is the overall mpg , inclusive of the battery only mileage which would be more reasonable.

My overall mpg, inclusive of battery use, is currently about 85mpg, over total distance of 1560 miles, with about 1100 miles being petrol only.

My current range on battery only is varying a lot between 29 miles down to as little as 16 miles on a full charge.

Biggest battery loss is due to using all those very disable electric draining things, like the heated seats, steering wheel, front and rear heated windows, a/c system, heated wing mirrors.

I'm not convinced that the cold weather is such a big factor yet since there has been no consistent difference on really cold days compared to mild ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

You say Average though.  In imperial the 50 litres is near 11 gallons, and 11 times 71 mpg average is 780 miles is 1,255km

I would hope that 800 km / 497 miles is easily achievable. 

That would be only getting 45 mpg from the petrol with the electric assistance that you had as well.

The actual petrol consumption ( orAverage MPG), from 50 litres of fuel used with no charge at the start of a journey would be good to know.

When I picked up the passat it had zero charge and only 1/4 tank so filled it up with vpower less than a mile from the dealer and the 35 mile journey home (mostly m25/m3) gave 43mpg on the dash.  not sure what the actual mpg would have been as needed to get home with no time to refill locally to me.  Still on the first tank and the needle has barely dropped from max as been doing most of the miles on electric.  pretty sure overall readout I something like 78mpg (have played with gte mode a couple of times which significantly affects overall readout).  I'll be sure to keep tabs on mileage when I finally refuel but at this rate i'll be into the engine starting itself to clear the pipes due to not using the engine much.

• Like 1

If doing 71 mile drives between charges then if you get 25 miles on electric and 46 mpg then that is 71 mpg.  If electric is cheap or free then good.  If you pay less tax then good.   That is real world.  If the trip between charging is 142 miles then that is different.  If 25 miles on electric then lovely. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Best wishes to all of you for 2021 !

Here is my input on the fuel consumption once the battery is fully depleted : on a trip composed of half highway and half country road, i got an average of 7.8L/100 KM (36 MPG).

I noticed that, despite the battery being displayed as depleted, there was still a minor hybridation available for low speed maneuvers and launching the car after a stop. 

Hi

My IV on petrol only (1.4 TSI) managed about 45 mpg over 2 trips on a motorway over about 400 miles, with speed almost always between 65 and 70 mph.

I would think that if you someone is only getting 28 mpg in the same type of car then this low level of economy is more likely to be due to the style of driving rather than the basic capability of the car.

However I too have ben a long running advocate of diesels have had 8 Skoda diesels, in Superb and Octavia, all of which gave better fuel economy than my new IV, even allowing for use of no fuel on battery only.

This is why I am so angry at being conned by Skoda into believing that you can get anywhere near 35 miles on battery only, which I could live with.

My latest "battery charging" range this week at Zero centigrade overnight, was 26 miles, which is consistent with what I was getting during much warmer weather.

Thanks for your feedback.

I ended up spraying WD40 (by introducing the slim tube behind the door) and warming the compartiment with a hairdryer and I finally got it opened.

I assume the locking mechanism was jammed (perhaps frozen).

Yes there is. It's illustrated in the user manual. 

However I have been advised by the dealership that using the manual release may trigger a warning that can only be erased by them.

Once again, I have been trapped, but this time the charger was plugged (for barely two hours !). 

We are having some rough weather right now (30cm of snow and -10°c) but I would expect such mechanism to be "weather proof".

Be aware !

• 4 months later...
On 30/09/2020 at 17:07, stephenlumley said:

I'm struggling a bit with the Air conditioning part of Skoda connect.

It seems you can set the air coditioning temperature to either warm or cool the car and also the window heating.

I tried setting the car to warm up but when I went out to it the fan blower was on low but wasn't very warm. Does it take ages? Also tried window heating. I assume this is the heated screen not the blower. Again not much happened. And what exactly does Power source mean. You can flick on 'please allow battery usage'. Can it start the engine and use the ICE to warm the car. I thought it was illegal to leave a car running unattended.

Need to get the hang of this before the cold weather starts.

Did you suss this out I’ve just got mine and can’t fathom it out either.

Edited by flamazine
Adding

• 10 months later...
On 21/09/2020 at 10:04, Richmix said:

Found it!!

Was out with family at weekend and the kids said the back seats were vibrating!

Back seat, nearside. Dropped the seats down and lifted the mat/boot cover and sure enough, there is a sub! (albeit not very good and rather small!)

About 6" driver but contained in a black box running width ways about 7" wide, 20" long

So it does have a sub, just a teeny weeny one which doesnt give any umph!

May be you are interested in a solution for this.