Advice needed on + and - of going from 17" to 16" wheels

stonyb1

Am finding the ride on 17" (225/50) too harsh for comfort, and am aware that some Yeti owners opted for 16" when  buying a new car.

But what I am not clear on is what difference in steering feel/ lack of precision I will notice if I go from 17".

When I changed my previous Fabia wheels from 16" to 15" it certainly made the ride more comfortable, but I did lose a  feel of steering, and the higher sidewalls increased the lean when going round corners/roundabouts.

Would welcome comments from any members who have changed from 17" to 16" on their Yeti's.

Also whether they changed from 225/50 to 215/60 or 205/55 or 60.

Edited by stonyb1
additional info

Didn't really want to respond as have not moved from 17" to 16" but like Urrell my car feels like it drives on rails on 16" wheels & I would never consider going larger for increased grip.

But I do understand being happy with what you have and not wanting more is very different to losing something that you once had.

Looking at the global markets I would say the Yeti was not designed for 17" wheels and its just a quirk of what they percieve the UK market dictates and makes a poor vehicle out of an excellent one.

I switch back and forth between summer tyres on 17" wheels and winters on 16".  The 16" wheels/tyres give a slightly less harsh ride over sharp edged bumps, ruts and ridges.  It feels like someone has draped a thin rubber sheet over the road.  The underlying Yeti ride quality remains, i.e. fidgety on lumpy and undulating roads because of the firm dampers and strong anti-roll bars Skoda fit to counteract the raised C of G.  This is true of most SUV's however. There is a little more dive on braking and roll on roundabouts, and the response to steering a little less incisive, I assume this is all due to more flexible tyre sidewalls.  However, you soon get used to it.

Having had 16" wheels on both my Yeti's I can confirm that they do provide a more comfortable ride. The big difference is that the ride is much less"jiggly" and smoother. An old friend has a Yeti with 17" wheels and the difference is really noticeable, particularly on our rutted and potholed roads. Drives fine.

If you then add Goodyear or Michelin All weather tyres then it's even smoother. I've got Goodyear All seasons Gen2 and they are not only comfortable but also very quiet with greatly reduced road noise.

Unless you're a boy racer then the change to 16" is a no-brainer.

I also opted for 16" wheels when I bought my Yeti back in 2013, based on the advice of members on this forum, and never regretted it - I find the ride comfortable and the road holding/steering excellent. (It always surprises me how, for a car so tall, you can throw a Yeti round corners).  One "hidden" advantage of the 16" rather than 17" wheels is I found the tyres were a lot cheaper to replace when the time came - I think for my Michelin Cross Climates (which I recommend) it was around £40 a tyre although that was a while back so things might have changed. 

Lots about the relative merits on 16" vs 17" wheels on this forum if you go back a bit........ 

Don't forget your decision on suitable tyres might affect the accuracy of the speedometer. 

• Like 1

Expatman and Paul52, as members of the UK16"SpecialBuildClub (now possibly YeOldeUK16"...etc!), speak from experience.  Yes, very tolerant of poor (and missing!) road surfaces.  No bother with steering feel or accuracy on 215/60 Kleber Quadraxers (possibly the prototype for the Michelin Cross Climates - not cheap, but usefully cheaper) and perfectly happy on motorway cruising.  The OP doesn't give a hint at his/her base or territory, which just might be considerations. 

Thanks for above replies.

Brijo_ - my driving is mainly urban, with some more rural A & B journeys.

Help needed on further question please - what rim spec should I get re width and offset for  (I presume) 215/60 tyres - the whole issue of rim width and offset always has me confused when I look at wheel websites.

According to the Certificate of Conformity for my 2017 Yeti, for 215/60 R16 tyres the wheel spec is 7J ET45.  These rims will also take the 205/55 R16 that you need if you ever want/need to fit snow chains.  I run Goodyear Vector Gen 2 in that size all year round and I've never noticed any deficiency in the car's steering response.

Like Austin 7, I switch between 17" and 16" rims summer to winter, and I would second those comments.  To me, the balance of ride vs handling is better on the 16" rims.

I'd suggest you get wheels with the same spec as the 16" rims fitted as standard to some models, and use a tyre size shown inside your filler cap since these will all meet the approvals and therefore should not count as a modification.  Take a look at The Plumber's excellent guide on Yeti tyres and rims here: 

• Like 1

7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1 is the standard rim size for the Yeti with 215/60R16 tyres

ET45 means that the offset is 45mm.

ET stands for Einpresstiefe which is a German word. In English, Einpresstiefe means offset.

5/112 means 5 bolt holes with a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) of 112mm.

57.1 means the centre bore is 57.1mm.

Alcar 9257 are aftermarket steel rims that match the original Skoda steel rims.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9257#21246586

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750851

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=110&s_p=Steel-Rims&sowigan=felgen&Hersteller=Skoda&PKWtyp=YETI+2.0+TDI&PKWtypgenau=%3A533741%3A%3A1968%3A81%3A200909%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A112.00%3A5%3A5L++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AO%3AE11*2007%2F46*0010*.++&Show+types=Show+types

oponeo is a useful site to find the Alcar model number. autodoc are usually cheaper for steel rims than oponeo. mytyres also sell Alcar steel rims, but you have to search for them my entering a car model that they fit rather than just entering the Alcar model number.

As well as 7Jx16 ET45 rims, 6Jx16 ET50 steel rims were also available for winter tyres in size 205/55R16.

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/YET/year/2015/drive_standart/779/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601010/part_id/2543667/lang/e

7J rims are quite wide for a 215/60 tyre size. 6.5J is more normal for this tyre size.

Alcar 8226 7Jx16 ET41 5/112 57.1 from the Skoda Superb MK3 which also uses the same 215/60R16 tyre size as the Yeti

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750743

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

The 16" wheels I fitted were Skoda 7J x 16" ET45 "Spectrum" alloys, which are also used on the Skoda superb (3T) 2008>

Ordering number for Skoda original accessories  = Serial Number of the Wheel + Serial Number of the Lid (Centre Cap ?)

CCR 800 001 = 3T0 601 025 + 6U0 601 151L MHB

Bolt torque 120 Nm     Wheel weight measures about 10.5 kg with no tyre.

I use 215/60 R16 Tyres

If your considering doing this think about ordering extra load tyres, usually labeled XL. They will have a higher load index number which means a reinforced sidewall. They will resist damage from potholes and reduce body roll a tad - but can actually be cheaper than the std load equivalent.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stonyb1 said:

VRS_White-Hatc :  presumably though the reinforced sidewall  makes them a slightly harder ride then the std load ones ?

Exactly, and unless you plan on carrying huge loads in excess of designed capacity stick to standard load tyres. No point in changing to 16" to gain better ride then compromising it with stiff sidewalls!

A 95 compared to a 97 load rated tyre wont make much difference to the ride, but it might actually be cheaper. Higher sidewall tyres are generally a higher load rating than low profile anyway, as long as your tyres exceed the axle weight your vehicle can carry they will be legal and fine. I was just offering advice on something to consider when browsing tyre sites. Your tyre pressures will have far more effect on the ride than the load rating. 

As you are getting new wheels I assume you're getting new tyres? 

Careful choice of tyres will help, All season Michelin Crossclimates or Goodyear all seasons will certainly help with a smoother ride while giving you confidence in summer and winter.

You might find 4 suitable but scruffy wheels on eBay (or similar), get them refurbished and you will have as new wheels and tyres. Lovely!

I run 16" winters on some old A4 alloys I bought 2nd hand off Fleabay 9 years ago (7J x16" ET45, 215/60/16) & the ride does improve, but as you say you can also loose some steering feel. However, I've found the choice of tyre just as important. The steering was more woolly with Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 17"s than the 16" winter Pirelli Sottozero 3s I had at the time, surprising as the Sottozero's a heavily siped winter tyre. Similarly, I'm currently running Continental Premium Contact 6s on the 17" summer (standard Elegance) rims & the ride on those is almost equal to that of the 16", certainly better than any other 17" tyres I've had on the car bar the Goodyears. On the 17" I've run Dunlop Sport 01 factory fit (awful ride, wet performance poor at half worn & got noisy) Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance (quiet, economical & comfortable but very soft & imprecise on turn in & no feel, binned quickly) Continental Sportcontact 5, really sporty feeling with amazing steering feel & dry & wet grip, but not that comfortable) Continental Premiumcontact 6 (95% of the steering feel & the same grip as the SC5 but good ride quality, probably 90% as good as 16" winters) I've also driven other Yetis on Michelin Primacy & Nexens but the Continental Premiumcontact 6 is definitely the best combination I've driven on a Yeti. My car has also had Eibach Pro springs & Bilstein B4 dampers for the last 6 years which improves the handling & steering feel slightly, gives factory levels of normal ride quality, but a better low speed ride especially on really bad surfaces.

All higher riding vehicles like the Yeti compromise handling and comfort. If handling is a top priority then you can end up spending a lot of money on a Yeti to try and "improve" it, but you won't overcome the basic characteristics.  Far better surely to buy a car designed with the handling characteristics you yearn for to start with? In addition having spent money on the 'improvements' you will likely be faced with higher insurance premiums and a big reduction in the financial value of the vehicle. 

I know this from bitter experience having tried to polish a t**d in my younger days by spending a lot of money and effort "improving" a much prized Triumph.

The hard lesson was buy a car designed with the attributes you want, that's why I bought my Yeti's with 16" wheels. I can absolutely understand why someone would change 17" wheels for 16" wheels for the improvement in comfort. But carefully consider the total cost (up to £1000) before deciding. Perhaps just changing tyres to Michelin Crossclimates or Goodyear All Seasons would be a more economic solution?

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 2

I honestly don't get this obsession with big wheels and skinny tyres. Yeah, sure on a performance vehicle it's going to improve the handling etc... but even then when driving them day to day I'd far prefer a smaller wheel/bigger tyre combo as it's a much nicer balance between handling/performance and comfort.

My previous car came with 19" wheels and skinny 235/35 tyres. Yeah it handled like.it was on rails but the comfort was awful. A drop to 17" 235/45/17 was a massive improvement.

And now on 205/55/16 it's a pleasure to drive. Soaks up the bumps etc but the car is still responsive enough when needed.

And when driving fast I actually find it inspires more confidence out on the road. Since the roads aren't perfect you can just sling it around on the bumps without it crashing and banging around.

My previous Octavia also had 205/55/16 tyres and I did a couple of laps of the Nurburgring. My passenger was impressed with my commitment into the Karussell and I was faster than a tuned up Clio on lowered suspension and skinny tyres that had just passed me 😂🤣

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I honestly don't get this obsession with big wheels and skinny tyres. Yeah, sure on a performance vehicle it's going to improve the handling etc... but even then when driving them day to day I'd far prefer a smaller wheel/bigger tyre combo as it's a much nicer balance between handling/performance and comfort.

My previous car came with 19" wheels and skinny 235/35 tyres. Yeah it handled like.it was on rails but the comfort was awful. A drop to 17" 235/45/17 was a massive improvement.

And now on 205/55/16 it's a pleasure to drive. Soaks up the bumps etc but the car is still responsive enough when needed.

And when driving fast I actually find it inspires more confidence out on the road. Since the roads aren't perfect you can just sling it around on the bumps without it crashing and banging around.

My previous Octavia also had 205/55/16 tyres and I did a couple of laps of the Nurburgring. My passenger was impressed with my commitment into the Karussell and I was faster than a tuned up Clio on lowered suspension and skinny tyres that had just passed me 😂🤣

Spot on.

10 hours ago, Expatman said:

All higher riding vehicles like the Yeti compromise handling and comfort. If handling is a top priority then you can end up spending a lot of money on a Yeti to try and "improve" it, but you won't overcome the basic characteristics.  Far better surely to buy a car designed with the handling characteristics you yearn for to start with? In addition having spent money on the 'improvements' you will likely be faced with higher insurance premiums and a big reduction in the financial value of the vehicle. 

All cars are a compromise. You can't tow a caravan with a Ferrari! I bought the Yeti 9 years ago because I wanted a smallish 4x4 for rural winter driving as I'd moved house & commute to work on untreated roads at 5am. I've driven hot hatches & later quick turbo diesels for the first 20+ years of my driving career, but loved the Yeti when it came out. The fact that it was based on the vastly improved Golf 5/6 platform made it a definite shortlister. I was blown away by the interior quality too, but mostly how well it drove. The only thing that came close was the Kuga back then, & I tried all the Yeti's main rivals, & it was head & shoulders above the rest. The fact that the 170tdi 4x4 Elegance was ideally specced for my needs & was roughly £2k cheaper than it's rivals was the icing on the cake. The only reason I fitted the Eibachs wasn't to modify it but because I had a rear spring snap & I also had leaks on the front struts. I'd also used Eibachs before on an Alfa 156 & they transformed that car immeasurably without compromise, so it can be done. The Eibachs were also a fair bit cheaper than genuine standard Yeti springs & the combination of Eibachs & Bilstein B4s give the same normal road ride quality as standard, better infact over really sharp bumps & potholes, the Bilsteins are better quality & the damping feels more sophisticated than the standard dampers. The only compromise is I've lost about an inch of ground clearance, but as I don't do any more off-roading than normal farm tracks, it doesn't affect my requirements of the car, so it's perfect for my needs. As I'm oldish & we live in a low risk area, insurance with mods declared (including the stage 1 remap) is never more than £240 fully comp with protected NCB, so even that's not really a big compromise. The car's done 132K 100% mechanically reliable miles, 80k on the remap & economy is about 5% improved over standard, so once again, no compromise.

• Like 4

"As I'm oldish....."

Unless I'm much mistaken that's actually an essential requirement to be a Yeti owner - that and devilish good looks and wearing socks with sandals. You have to score two out of three.

And back to the OP's thread.

• Haha 2