Kamiq Is It For You

Bill65

Having lived with my Kamiq for six weeks I've decided to share my experiences for those who visit the site when deciding if this is the car for them to buy. I have had my car for about six weeks having previously had three Honda CRVs and a Karoq some of which had auto gear boxes. I decided to go for the Kamiq as I didn't require as much space, wanted a reliable auto box and for financial reasons as I am doing far fewer miles.

The positives of the car are as follows:-

The car looks good , seems to have good build quality and has a well laid it out interior with adequate space for a couple or small family. The steering is light and responsive.

Unfortunately I've found several negatives which at this table makes me feel as though I've bought the wrong car:-

The infotainment and cockpit controls are complicated e.g. The air con has buttons on the dash and on the main screen instead of just one area. The lane assist jerks the wheel back and is very irritating. It requires to be turned off on every journey. The front assist was set to medium yet the brakes slammed on when a car emerged at least forty yards in front of me when I was doing less than 30mph. Extremely dangerous and I've now set it to LATE.

Finally the auto box and 1.5 engine are a disappointment. Firstly the DSG seems to search for a gear on occasions for no reason. Also if you are looking to nip away from a standing start a little quicker than normal it seems to wheel spin despite light even pressure on the accelerator. I'm an advanced driver from my occupation and do not drive hard or fast so this is perplexing having previously driven several auto cars with no problem. One last moan is that the car sits quite low, not a problem in itself but I find rear visibility really poor compared to my previous SUVs.

im coming to the conclusion that I've bought the wrong car and hope that my experience assists any prospective buyers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with most of what you say. I had a Yeti before my Kamiq and the ride height and ease of entry/exit is noticeably worse in the Kamiq. I've done less than 1000 miles in the 10 months since I got the car and I think that if I were still driving as much as I used to, then I would already have swapped to something else.

Getting used to the instrumentation is definitely a steep learning curve and certainly not for technophobes. Things like registering Skoda Connect are very difficult/buggy.

I've posted often enough what my feelings are about lane assist, spawn of the devil!! Once again, if I were driving more than I do now, this alone would make me swap the car. I don't need the additional stress of constantly keeping an iron grip on the steering wheel just in case the car decides to go it's own way.

After I bought the car, my neighbour remarked how well it looked by comparison to the Yeti, well at least it's a pretty car :biggrin:

Well conversely after coming from a Seat Leon my wife adores this and finds it plenty high enough. Lane assist is far less intrusive than the Leon too. Horses for corses.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ima said:

Well conversely after coming from a Seat Leon my wife adores this and finds it plenty high enough. Lane assist is far less intrusive than the Leon too. Horses for corses.

Yep fair point . I'm coming from a fairly large car in the top of the range CR V and iKaroq t's not a fair comparison however I don't expect wheel spin when picking away at low revs and lack of usability in the instruments in a new model.

7 hours ago, longedge said:

I agree with most of what you say. I had a Yeti before my Kamiq and the ride height and ease of entry/exit is noticeably worse in the Kamiq. I've done less than 1000 miles in the 10 months since I got the car and I think that if I were still driving as much as I used to, then I would already have swapped to something else.

Getting used to the instrumentation is definitely a steep learning curve and certainly not for technophobes. Things like registering Skoda Connect are very difficult/buggy.

I've posted often enough what my feelings are about lane assist, spawn of the devil!! Once again, if I were driving more than I do now, this alone would make me swap the car. I don't need the additional stress of constantly keeping an iron grip on the steering wheel just in case the car decides to go it's own way.

After I bought the car, my neighbour remarked how well it looked by comparison to the Yeti, well at least it's a pretty car :biggrin:

I'm in a quandry as to what to do....either stick with it and hope I get used to it and it becomes more driver friendly or get rid at at a severe loss and try something different. My son bought similar spec new Kodiaq at the same time and doesn't seem to have the problems I have.......maybe the moral of the story is newer technology isn't always better. I know I'm on a Kamiq owners forum but I'm still surprised at the positive reviews.

I suspect that some of your issues might be resolved by someone with VCDS.  It's probably possible to switch off Lane Assist completely or at least change the level.  

As for the wheelspin issue, I've seen this complaint from owners of FWD Karoqs with the 150 TSI engine and DSG gearbox.  My reaction has always been, "What do you expect from a FWD tall car which has a fair bit of rearwards weight transfer when taking off?"

I'm mildly suprised that the issue also affects the Kamiq which is a fair bit lower.  

If you do find someone with VCDS to delve into the ECU, it might be worth getting them to enable XDS which uses the front brakes to emulate a torque sensing differential.  I've had this enabled on my 4x4 Yeti and it's certainly helped to rein in the understeer when making progress down greasy, twisty roads.  However, someone who's had XDS enabled on his FWD Yeti, recently told me that it's greatly reduced wheelspin when taking off quickly. 

Edited by Schtum

In respect iof wheel spin.

Many years ago I had a new Audi A4 Avant.  This, if I remember correctly was before the days of traction control.  It used to regularly spin its wheels from start off, it took great control to prevent it.  After around 6 months I realised the front tyres were wearing unevenly.  I then had the garage check the geometry & hey presto the problem was solved. I am absolutely no expert, unlike many here, but it might be worth trying to get the garage to check.

I believe all these ‘faults’ are more down to personal taste. Assists can be turned off. 
plus I’ve never had a issue with wheel spin pulling away in the 1.5tsi dsg, maybe being more gentle with the acceleration or check tyre tread? 

• Like 1

Tyre Brand- Compound / Tyre Pressures  has lots to do with the wheel spin, not the 150ps & 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

TC deals with wheel spin by nipping the brakes / cutting power, which is why some turn it off when they have good tyres.

XDS is not Traction Control for when going straight, just as XDS + is not.

Edited by e-Roottoot

14 hours ago, Bill65 said:

Yep fair point . I'm coming from a fairly large car in the top of the range CR V and iKaroq t's not a fair comparison however I don't expect wheel spin when picking away at low revs and lack of usability in the instruments in a new model.

Can’t comment on Kamiq specifically, as I have Seat Arona (which is basically same car underneath skin), as Skoda didn’t have anything that size 2.5 years ago.  The digital instruments hadn’t been introduced when I got my Arona (were added MY19) so is similar to what my Yeti had.

The 1 litre tsi is fairly light at front, so don’t have much mass to increase friction.   The 18 inch wheels and summer tyres were good in summer, but I too found could spin wheels in colder wet weather pulling out of side turnings.   In the end I decided to buy winter wheels to solve the problem (at the time were only 2 all season tyres in the size).  The only solution is new tyres more suitable for UK climate.  (And I think all season tyres should be default choice from factory)

Thanks for all the suggestions some of them are above my head however in respect of tyres my car is new and treads are fine, also this happens on perfectly dry roads.

To add to my tail of woes I went on a 50 mile round trip this morning and towards the end of the journey there was a loud metallic rubbing noise from the front of the car and a lack of power. I stopped the car and switched off the engine . On inspecting the front of the car I couldn't find a anything obvious however there was still a quieter noise from underneath the front end . on returning to the car and driving away the noise had gone and everything was fine. I've seen on a forum (can't remember where) that this is a DSG problem when a gear occasionally can't be selected. 

I know this sounds as though I'm looking for problems but it's not the case. I've had approaching twenty new cars over the years and had no problems at all with any of them.

There has been issues with 1.5 TSI DSG's in other models and there are various Software Updates that apply to some.

Not heard reports of any issues with Kamiqs, but then they are pretty new / recent.

Bob Flavin was not impressed with the behaviour of the DSG with a Scala 1.5TSI.

From 8 mins 15 seconds.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Yep lots of issues reported on Seatcupra.net on hesitancy in this 1.5 engine and it’s a well known issue. Quite a few have pursued rejection of earlier build. Apparently there has been a software update but still not everyone feels it’s resolved the engine issues. Well worth checking with dealer as they will know about it.

Edited by ima

The 1.5TSI manual issues are well covered in the Karoq section, as are the engine Software Updates, early ones when there was denials over any issues, then the later ones, all covered by TPI's, there are also DQ200 DSG software updates again covered by TPI's.

Bob Flavin was talking about Software Updates which were already available for various vehicles with 1.5 TSI / DSG's before the Scala was even launched and available to Motoring Journalists, and so before the Kamiq's were launched and delivered.

Vorsprung Durch Technik should have applied here, but might well not have.

• 3 months later...
On 31/10/2020 at 08:28, Bill65 said:

Having lived with my Kamiq for six weeks I've decided to share my experiences for those who visit the site when deciding if this is the car for them to buy. I have had my car for about six weeks having previously had three Honda CRVs and a Karoq some of which had auto gear boxes. I decided to go for the Kamiq as I didn't require as much space, wanted a reliable auto box and for financial reasons as I am doing far fewer miles.

The positives of the car are as follows:-

The car looks good , seems to have good build quality and has a well laid it out interior with adequate space for a couple or small family. The steering is light and responsive.

Unfortunately I've found several negatives which at this table makes me feel as though I've bought the wrong car:-

The infotainment and cockpit controls are complicated e.g. The air con has buttons on the dash and on the main screen instead of just one area. The lane assist jerks the wheel back and is very irritating. It requires to be turned off on every journey. The front assist was set to medium yet the brakes slammed on when a car emerged at least forty yards in front of me when I was doing less than 30mph. Extremely dangerous and I've now set it to LATE.

Finally the auto box and 1.5 engine are a disappointment. Firstly the DSG seems to search for a gear on occasions for no reason. Also if you are looking to nip away from a standing start a little quicker than normal it seems to wheel spin despite light even pressure on the accelerator. I'm an advanced driver from my occupation and do not drive hard or fast so this is perplexing having previously driven several auto cars with no problem. One last moan is that the car sits quite low, not a problem in itself but I find rear visibility really poor compared to my previous SUVs.

im coming to the conclusion that I've bought the wrong car and hope that my experience assists any prospective buyers.

That's how I feel having experienced the same and other dangerous applications which are mind boggling.  I know now it was a mistake to change from my  previous car, however, what's done is done and it will be changed again before long.

Now that you bring it up wheelspin off the line is a real issue. Ive adjusted my driving style for sure because i know its going to do it. Im going to try reducing the tyre pressure a few psi on the front to see if it helps. Maybe try a more sticky brand of tyre (i cant believe im even saying this for a kamiq. I thought i was going to have lack of power issue. Not putting the power on the ground issues).

Ive not got the digital climate control so not suffering from any of the interface issues. I got given a new golf 8 courtesy and using the touch screen to adjust fan speed was a shock so after being initially annoyed that digital climate wasn't standard on the Monte Carlo im now very ok with it as tend to adjust settings a lot.

Driving position i don't have any issues with at all and i've spent years driving range rover sports. More than enough over a regular car for me.

Looks great. Attracts a surprising amount of attention (from young to old). Suspension and handling are way above what i was expecting and i've had no issues at all with the gearbox. If i wanted to drive quick i always flick it to 'S' then back to D for regular driving.

Condensation in the LED headlights ruins the look most of the time, driving doesnt sort it out because they dont generate enough heat. Infact alot of the time it gets worse when driving.

Im very close to rejecting the car due to nightmare electrical issues ive had to deal with from new to now 3.5k miles. Skoda UK hands down the worst customer service attitude/experience ive ever had from any brand..and ive dealt with most of them for various reasons. I always buy brand new. I just assumed id get VAG network tyre of service. Nope.

Otherwise if all went to plan i would have been very happy with the purchase for my needs and the price.

side note: It came with standard skoda mats which felt really poor quality and wore out around where my foot/heel stays. I bought the prestige mats for £65 and the driver one lasted about 500 miles before my heel print is a permanent feature. If anyones got any better options do let me know. Never had this issue before on mats at such low usage.

3 hours ago, LondonKamiq said:

Now that you bring it up wheelspin off the line is a real issue.

It sounds like you're using the original eco tyres. These are made for low rolling resistance and the downside is they don't have much grip in cold, wet, slippery conditions.

Consider changing to 195/65R15 all-season tyres fitted to 6Jx15 ET35 5/100 57.1 steel rims.

Vredestein all-season tyres 195/65R15 91H

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/vredestein/quatrac/195/65/R15/H/91/m?tyre=41007446

6Jx15 ET35 5/100 57.1 Steel Rims

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/vw-w21-19547013091#20860106

Skoda Kamiq 2020 1.6 TDi
 Generation: 2019 .. 2022 
 Market: EUDM 
 Power: 114 hp | 85 kW | 116 PS 
 Engine: DDYA, I4, Diesel
 Options: Active, Ambition, Style
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Torque: 120 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2019 .. 2020]
Tire 
Rim 
PCD 

205/60R16 6Jx16 ET35 5x100

205/60R16 6Jx16 ET38 5x100

205/55R17 6.5Jx17 ET40 5x100

195/65R15 6Jx15 ET35 5x100

195/60R16 6Jx16 ET35 5x100

215/45R18 7Jx18 ET39 5x100

Edited by Carlston
  • Groan 1

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 that came on mine from factory are definitely not what i would consider an 'eco' tyre. Looking at the list of alternatives in the 215/45/18 size there not many better options. Shame no michelin 4s. I don't think myself (or anyone) who's purchased a car with 18" tyres on it is going to downgrade to your suggestion of 15 steel rims unless living in some difficult areas/climates. Probably not a smart idea to purchase an auto Kamiq with low profile 18's if thats the case.

The issue happens in the dry as well which is why its an issue worth noting, only had the car since end of december so cant comment on it being hot weather. I expect most regular tyres to spin in cold/wet/slippery conditions. The supercharger just kicks in so aggressively with the slightest quick movement from stationary. Reminds me a lot of how the E46 M3's used to behave in sport mode :D.

Ill probably switch to winter tyres like always from October/November next year so will see if its any better on those.

• Like 1

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 are high performance summer tyres. They are just as bad as eco tyres in temperatures much below 10 degrees Centigrade.

It's a beginner's mistake to think that wider tyres always have more grip than narrower tyres, especially in slippery conditions.

Vredestein all-season tyre 205/55R16 91V

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/vredestein/quatrac/205/55/R16/V/91/m?tyre=41007468

Which? magazine found out decades ago in their tyre tests that 195/65R15 works better than the wider 205/55R16 size in difficult conditions. In the wet, the best 205/55r16 tyre was taking about 10% longer to stop than the best 195/65R15 tyre.

Continental all-season tyre 215/45R18

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=QyRtzG9fB9OOGOug.110.826590224&sowigan=GAN&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=18&kategorie=6&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=B-B-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-415263

The 215/45R18 size is well over twice the price of the common 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 sizes.

The Kamiq uses either 256mm or 276mm diameter front discs, which are small sizes. Even the larger 276mm diameter front brake discs only need 15" rims to clear the front brake calipers. Using 18" rims, makes the front brakes look tiny. It's much better aesthetically to use smaller rims.

Edited by Carlston
  • Groan 1

4 hours ago, Carlston said:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 are high performance summer tyres. They are just as bad as eco tyres in temperatures much below 10 degrees Centigrade.

It's a beginner's mistake to think that wider tyres always have more grip than narrower tyres, especially in slippery conditions.

Vredestein all-season tyre 205/55R16 91V

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/vredestein/quatrac/205/55/R16/V/91/m?tyre=41007468

Which? magazine found out decades ago in their tyre tests that 195/65R15 works better than the wider 205/55R16 size in difficult conditions. In the wet, the best 205/55r16 tyre was taking about 10% longer to stop than the best 195/65R15 tyre.

Continental all-season tyre 215/45R18

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=QyRtzG9fB9OOGOug.110.826590224&sowigan=GAN&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=18&kategorie=6&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=B-B-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-415263

The 215/45R18 size is well over twice the price of the common 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 sizes.

The Kamiq uses either 256mm or 276mm diameter front discs, which are small sizes. Even the larger 276mm diameter front brake discs only need 15" rims to clear the front brake calipers. Using 18" rims, makes the front brakes look tiny. It's much better aesthetically to use smaller rims.

Beginner? :D 

Your not giving realistic or useful recommendations for the situation. I didnt say the wider tyre gives more grip. A 205 vs 215 decades ago which? test? :D Compounds/traction systems have moved forwards leaps. Its 2021 and a daily run around in very average british conditions shouldn't be this slippy even if it's just off the line. Noone really cares about what brake discs look like on a non performance car. Probably only people who quote decades old which reviews :hi:. Plenty of 18" Aero Rim designs to hide them if i felt that way rather than steelies.

Anyways any members running any tyre alternatives in the 18's at the moment? The models 18monthish old so must be some people doing the tyre changing mileage? I had a proper look at the options and really tempted by the 215/45R18 YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08R. Wet reviews seems to be very varied but overall better than i was expecting to read. Doesn't cost me much to switch so maybe early summer if the cars still here :emoticon-0157-sun:.

• Like 1

Re Michelin Primacy 4.

They really are a terrible tyre and ones being fitted to PSA EV's & other manufacturers EV's and Hybrids to give better range by the poor traction / grip in the dry and terrible traction in the wet or cold.

ECO tyres, regardless of what the label on the says & not ECO as in price.

Michelin Pilot 4, are a whole different discussion though.

@LondonKamiq  What you have is a 1.5TSI / DSG that VW Group / Skoda had to change the mapping of to sort your the issues they were having.

So now regardless of the tyres you fit, even if you fit the stickiest you can for using on the best of roads on warm days you are stuck with what you have when you mash the pedal.

Edited by e-Roottoot

@Carlston

Surely about time that you tell us what cars you drive / own and what tyres it is that you fit and run on your own cars.

All this theory and experiences of others and from 'articles' that you post about tyres and handling must surely be sometimes based on what you fit and use, 

or is it all gleaned from the internet rather than your driving experiences?

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Re Michelin Primacy 4.

They really are a terrible tyre and ones being fitted to PSA EV's & other manufacturers EV's and Hybrids to give better range by the poor traction / grip in the dry and terrible traction in the wet or cold.

ECO tyres, regardless of what the label on the says & not ECO as in price.

Michelin Pilot 4, are a whole different discussion though.

@LondonKamiq  What you have is a 1.5TSI / DSG that VW Group / Skoda had to change the mapping of to sort your the issues they were having.

So now regardless of the tyres you fit, even if you fit the stickiest you can for using on the best of roads on warm days you are stuck with what you have when you mash the pedal.

@e-Roottoot Ah yea sorry i missed the word Pilot because i added the 's'. The Pilot 4s (replaced the Michelin Pilot Super Sport name) is a different tyre to the Pilot 4. Always my goto tyre if its not a Cup 2 type of car.

Ah ok. Makes sense the mapping is off. If there was a physical traction button i wouldn't mind the spin as much (as i can adjust throttle rather than traction being all aggressive) but cant be going through the menu to turn it off just to take off the line every time i guess. I'll try it later with it off to see how it behaves actually since i've not tried with it off.

Thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LondonKamiq said:

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 that came on mine from factory are definitely not what i would consider an 'eco' tyre. Looking at the list of alternatives in the 215/45/18 size there not many better options. Shame no michelin 4s. I don't think myself (or anyone) who's purchased a car with 18" tyres on it is going to downgrade to your suggestion of 15 steel rims unless living in some difficult areas/climates. Probably not a smart idea to purchase an auto Kamiq with low profile 18's if thats the case.

The issue happens in the dry as well which is why its an issue worth noting, only had the car since end of december so cant comment on it being hot weather. I expect most regular tyres to spin in cold/wet/slippery conditions. The supercharger just kicks in so aggressively with the slightest quick movement from stationary. Reminds me a lot of how the E46 M3's used to behave in sport mode :D.

Ill probably switch to winter tyres like always from October/November next year so will see if its any better on those.

It is a older design summer tyre

The Assymetric 5 is out (but still have to have older 3 in the obscure size Skoda have picked)

I have the same 215/45 R18 on my Arona and tyre choice has improved.  When I first looked could only get Vredestein Quatrac 5 and Maxxis AP2 as all seasons (now replaced by Quatrac Pro and Maxxis AP3). Others are now available including excellent Continental all season contact.

Availability was also poor, and price very high (if you could actually find anyone with stock) when I wanted to get some (lesson learnt, don’t try and buy Oct-Dec). I ended up buying a set of Borbet Y rims with Goodyear Ultragrip 9+ tyres in size 205/60 R16 92H.    These fit perfectly and use same bolts.   The set of 4 (rims+tyres) was lot less than the near £650 the all seasons were at the time

Obviously no longer have the cold weather wheel spin, and have had no problems driving up hills when it snowed recently