MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure

Jelugs

22 hours ago, CJJE said:

As someone who helped implement such a system way back when it was a novel Japanese idea (which we at least called Total Quality Management (TQM) I would have hoped that the system would automatically ensure it captured all complaints! 

As an aside, there was a tale going round that a British company ordered 10,000 widgets from a Japanese firm and specified that that there should only be .02% defective parts. When the box arrived they found a small package on the top of the consignment with a note. "We have packed the 2 defective parts separately for your inspection."

Chris 

I have posted off my letter to head of customer services with my questions and comments about the MY21 update situation and i asked about the TQM as you mentioned. When i get the response( hopefully!) I will let the forum know any relevant information. In the meantime, as i am only one person writing, it would help if many of you out there did a similar complaint letter about the MY21 update situation and hopefully if we can bombard them with the issue they may actually realise there is an issue!!

Thanks in advance to anyone writing to them. We have a crazy situation of owning an excellent car, and I mean that, it is my first Skoda and am delighted with its all round performance.....apart from Customer Service!!

Regards to you all

Eric

55 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

I have posted off my letter to head of customer services with my questions and comments about the MY21 update situation and i asked about the TQM as you mentioned. When i get the response( hopefully!) I will let the forum know any relevant information. In the meantime, as i am only one person writing, it would help if many of you out there did a similar complaint letter about the MY21 update situation and hopefully if we can bombard them with the issue they may actually realise there is an issue!!

Thanks in advance to anyone writing to them. We have a crazy situation of owning an excellent car, and I mean that, it is my first Skoda and am delighted with its all round performance.....apart from Customer Service!!

Regards to you all

Eric

I agree about the actual cars - this is now my third.

The 2 complaints submitted via the web portal have had an absolute zero response - not even an acknowledgement so it is now pen to paper and recorded delivery. The fact that there is no response or acknowledgement is in itself a violation of any QMS complaints process. The Garage seem rather ambivalent and just say that they had noticed this behaviour of the new systems but that's it! I will keep pressuring them as perhaps dealers expressing concerns may have a better voice.

I have a friend who is close to journalists in the auto trade so maybe I will raise a flag there - as well as a letter to the Telegraph Honest John column.

At the end of the day, Skoda have delivered which is significantly different in form/fit/function from that which was advertised at the time of order.

Even a software update to allow the USB C to be used for map updates, import of logos and correct the 'off road' coordinates to real addresses for post codes should satisfy most of the concerns raised here.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a call back but not much use....

• They said the gps coordinates were a factory decision to make the satnavs better! No way to change to show a correct 'real world' address.
  • No info yet on how to update maps
  • They said to try sending a destination from the Connect App to the car - The App showed a proper address so hit send to vehicle..... and no destination arrived. The Amundsen has no option to display online destinations. Has anyone else got that working? The VW forums seemed to indicate that using the ESim would not allow you to send destinations from the app - you had to connnect your car to a wifi hotspot! This seems a complete backward step.

Not impressed at all and sorry at this point of time to have bought a new Skoda. I expected more.

• Like 1

Updating the maps in MIB3 systems has also been under discussion in the Kodiaq section at system update mib 3 - Page 3 - Skoda Kodiaq - BRISKODA and @batal seems to have found the way to do it!

Basically, you need to download the zipped file from the Skoda Update Portal and save to your PC. 

Then extract the files to a NTSF format USB drive. (The drive needs to be empty beforehand and probably at least a 64GB drive.)

Plug the drive into a USB-C port and turn on the ignition. Then just leave it there as you go for a drive! There will not be any feedback from the system, and you do not have to press a system update or search for the USB drive on the screen. (You could stay parked, but run the risk of running down the car battery, so it's probably better to charge it by going for a drive.)

It will take around 30 minutes or more, but I believe that the installation will stop when the ignition is turned off, and then restarts automatically. 

To finalise the installation, you just need to hard reset the info system by pressing the ON button for 20 seconds. Reports say that you will then see the updated map date on the system information screen. 

More details in the thread shown above.

Chris 

• 3 weeks later...

Further update...

It's now been determined that in Western Europe the MIB3 infotainment systems cannot use the USB port to update the maps, although Eastern European owners can. This is because the function has been disabled - officially because we have online updates for whichever country we are in. (Unofficially, to 'encourage' us to pay for the Infotainment Online service each year to get these updates?)

This also prevents us adding radio logos to stations that do not display any - leaving a mix of stations with and without logos. 

Finally, web radio stations can only be accessed via the built-in eSIM if we pay for a Cubic Telecom data plan (7 Euro for 2GB/30 days, 15 Euro for 5GB/90 days, or 72 Euro for 25GB/365 days.) A work-around is to use your phone as a mobile hotspot and use its data allowance instead. (When I tried this, after months of failing to access web radio stations via the eSIM, it worked instantly.) What really annoys me is that there is no indication in the manual or other marketing literature telling me that I needed to do this!

Chris

13 minutes ago, JonVonWeston said:

Thanks for the update Chris.

That really is pretty poor all round isn't it, especially the web radio aspect. Disappointed doesn't come close.

Jon

Effectively it looks like Skoda want everyone to use their Apple Carplay or Android Auto as their own system is so restrictive. I presume also that unless you subscribe to the Infotainment package AND the eSim data access (after the 1st year) there will not be any realtime traffic displayed either?

The whole episode seems disgraceful that customers are treated like this in a period when car manufacturers need every customer they can get.

Seriously rethinking my brand loyalty as my Kodiaq is up for replacement this summer and there are many more competitive vehicles emerging now with hassle free internet access options.

Stuck with the Karoq for a while which, apart from the dreadful infotainment system, is an OK car,

Chris - is it your understanding that the basic, non subscribed eSim will allow access to map updates and traffic info if you just have the infotainment package or will you also need to purchase a data plan after the first year? You seem to know 100% more than any Skoda person who has called me.

My understanding (for Skoda UK customers and a MY21 Karoq with a built-in eSIM) of the online services are as follows:

1) The eCall Service allowing an automatic or manual SOS call is quoted as being free for the life of the car. (I believe this is required by EU regulations, but would hope Skoda UK do not remove this now we are not in the EU!)

2) The Proactive Service is free for the first 10 years. This includes breakdown calls to Skoda Assist (but I presume you have to resubscribe to this after 3 years?) , Information calls to Skoda Customer Support, Vehicle Health Reports via the Connect app, Service Scheduling, Online Personalisation (transfers your personal settings to another Skoda car), and Online System Updates.

3) The Remote Access Service is free for the first year only, then costs 60 euros a year to renew (often reduced to 39 euros). This lets the Connect app provide Driving Data, Parking Position (handy when you've parked in a strange city and explored it), Vehicle Status (doors and windows closed etc), Notifications is someone has driven your car out of a selected area or faster than a selected speed, sound the car's horn or flash its lights, or receive a, email warning if the car alarm goes off. Note that the Driving Data and Parking Position can be obtained via the Connect Lite app for free if you have a Dataplug. And the Vehicle Status reports seemed to be stored shortly after the ignition is turned off when you may still have doors or the boot open. So if it reports they are open, you need to update it via the Connect app to get the current status.

4) The Infotainment Online Service is also free for the first year, and then costs 70 euros a year to renew (often reduced to 49 euros). This provides online map updates for your local area (Customer Services say this is the country you are in) as well as any remote areas you navigate to, online traffic information, parking spaces and prices, filling stations and prices, an online route calculation which assesses traffic congestion on your route, the voice control system, importing POIs and routes via the Connect portal (although this is not yet available), and an online shop to buy additional functions and services. As they have disabled the USB map update function, this is the only way to keep maps updated! 

All the above include their own data allowance, and so do not need an additional dataplan from Cubic Telecom. Reading their website, they only say that buying one of their dataplans (7 euros for 2GB/30 days, 15 euros for 5GB/90 days, or 72 euros for 25GB/365 days) provide you with a WiFi hotspot in the car so other passengers can access the internet via smartphones, tablets etc. 

However after trying for months to access web radio stations (without a Cubic dataplan), yesterday I tried using my phone as a Mobile Hotspot and connected my Amundsen to that rather than the eSIM. The web radio feature then worked instantly, so if you don't mind using your phone's data allowance rather than buying a Cubic dataplan you can listen to web radio stations and podcasts that way. There is no mention of web radio services needing a dataplan in the manual or other documentation, although Customer Support's technical experts had thought this could be why I couldn't access the feature. It would of course help other owners if this was documented somewhere!!

Hope this helps,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2021 at 22:58, CJJE said:

I'm assuming your car is fitted with the new MIB3 infotainment system (with the USB-C sockets and no SD card readers), so it will be interesting to see if Customer Support have realised this yet, and that advising you to download a file of Radio Logos, load it on an SD card and plug this into the car no longer works! (Incidentally, the file you download from the Update Portal doesn't include the logos I wanted such as Classic FM, or Smooth UK etc.) 

The consensus seems to be that the new VAG MIB3 systems can only show logos if they are transmitted by the radio station itself in its data stream. So any missing or out of date logos have to be inserted or replaced by the broadcaster rather than Skoda/VW/SEAT etc. For instance, one of my local radio stations - Signal 2 - was bought last autumn and rebranded as Greater Hits Staffordshire. But when I tune into this station name, it still displays the Signal 2 logo, and the Amundsen in my car cannot find find an up to date replacement instead. 

The more complaints the better though, as it may encourage the VAG infotainment designers to update the MIB3 systems by adding back in a way of loading our own logos again as we could in the superceded MIB1 and MIB2 systems!

Chris

Just so you are aware I have been having the same battle with my Seat Arona MIB 3 system since Oct last year ... it took over a month for them to get Seat Connect to Work and then another 4 weeks to get the Seat Ident process to work as nobody had a clue ... eventually it does all work.  But Radio logo battle is still ongoing and no progress at all .... I have done the same talking to Global (Heart, Capital etc) RadioDNS on twitter and basically agree with your views .... if the radio station doesn't broadcast the logo we are screwed ! Frustrating as the manual suggets you can edit and there is the same presumably as Skoda options in the mens to select the logo but you can't select anything from anywhere ....

There must be something somwehere in the code that 'unlocks' the USB-C drive for uploads ... maybe via OBDC but someone needs to have a play around ...

To keep you all up to speed on my previous comments about the MY21 update position. I said i would let you all know about any feedback i got from Customer Services after i wrote a detailed letter ( about the poor MY21 update position, both in documentation and on line) I addressed my letter to the Head of Customer Services at Head Office about six or seven weeks ago. Guess what!   I have not even had an acknowledgement, let alone any attempts at answering the questions. I also had sent an e mail to the info@ address for a fairly simple question for them to answer on another issue. Guess what, no answer to that either. I find this whole situation absolutely appalling and its a disgrace to call themselves Customer Service... because it is not!!!!! Here we have a product, in my case a KaroqSE Drive 1.5TSI, which i think is a superb car and " Customer Service" which if you asked me my opinion, is the worst in the world!!!

Next question is what can we all do about it? I am far from being alone in similar thoughts on this issue.

In the meantime please all take care and stay safe.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sbarker said:

Just so you are aware I have been having the same battle with my Seat Arona MIB 3 system since Oct last year ... it took over a month for them to get Seat Connect to Work and then another 4 weeks to get the Seat Ident process to work as nobody had a clue ... eventually it does all work.  But Radio logo battle is still ongoing and no progress at all .... I have done the same talking to Global (Heart, Capital etc) RadioDNS on twitter and basically agree with your views .... if the radio station doesn't broadcast the logo we are screwed ! Frustrating as the manual suggets you can edit and there is the same presumably as Skoda options in the mens to select the logo but you can't select anything from anywhere ....

There must be something somwehere in the code that 'unlocks' the USB-C drive for uploads ... maybe via OBDC but someone needs to have a play around ...

Yep, it's a common problem across all VAG MIB3 systems. The 'edit' function for radio logos only seems to let you choose the one you want to use when there are several to choose from. Interestingly, Greater Hits took over Signal Radio in Stoke last summer, and rebranded Signal 2 as Greater Hits Staffs. But it still uses the Signal 2 logo! 

4 hours ago, Jelugs said:

To keep you all up to speed on my previous comments about the MY21 update position. I said i would let you all know about any feedback i got from Customer Services after i wrote a detailed letter ( about the poor MY21 update position, both in documentation and on line) I addressed my letter to the Head of Customer Services at Head Office about six or seven weeks ago. Guess what!   I have not even had an acknowledgement, let alone any attempts at answering the questions. I also had sent an e mail to the info@ address for a fairly simple question for them to answer on another issue. Guess what, no answer to that either. I find this whole situation absolutely appalling and its a disgrace to call themselves Customer Service... because it is not!!!!! Here we have a product, in my case a KaroqSE Drive 1.5TSI, which i think is a superb car and " Customer Service" which if you asked me my opinion, is the worst in the world!!!

Next question is what can we all do about it? I am far from being alone in similar thoughts on this issue.

In the meantime please all take care and stay safe.

My letter to the Head of Customer Services last December has also been ignored. So I emailed the Karoq Product Manager, Charlotte Moss ([email protected]) feeling she should be aware of the MIB3 problems. She didn't reply directly, but at least I got an email in reply from a Dean Goodwin, Customer Relations Manager ([email protected]) so at least I've got an email address for Customer Services now. 

His reply was basically telling me that the MIB3 design would not let us update maps locally, or add radio logos. But the really poor part was when he was telling me how to get web radio to work. All he did was paste the paragraphs from the owners manual (losing the formatting and pictures/graphics in the process so that it became unintelligible). And since I'd already read and followed this it didn't help. I emailed him back pics of the infotainment screen as I tried to access web radio stations, but haven't had a reply again. (I've since discovered that it won't work unless you buy a dataplan or use your's phone's data allowance - which seems to be more than he knows!!

One of us wrote to the Head of Skoda UK, which also produced a response, but it's really bad if you need to do that to get attention!

Chris 

On 17/02/2021 at 16:11, CJJE said:

My letter to the Head of Customer Services last December has also been ignored. So I emailed the Karoq Product Manager, Charlotte Moss ([email protected]) feeling she should be aware of the MIB3 problems. She didn't reply directly, but at least I got an email in reply from a Dean Goodwin, Customer Relations Manager ([email protected]) so at least I've got an email address for Customer Services now. 

His reply was basically telling me that the MIB3 design would not let us update maps locally, or add radio logos. But the really poor part was when he was telling me how to get web radio to work. All he did was paste the paragraphs from the owners manual (losing the formatting and pictures/graphics in the process so that it became unintelligible). And since I'd already read and followed this it didn't help. I emailed him back pics of the infotainment screen as I tried to access web radio stations, but haven't had a reply again. (I've since discovered that it won't work unless you buy a dataplan or use your's phone's data allowance - which seems to be more than he knows!!

One of us wrote to the Head of Skoda UK, which also produced a response, but it's really bad if you need to do that to get attention!

Chris 

Useful E Mail addresses there Chris thanks for those.

In the meantime my frustration got to such a point that I E mailed  Customer Services in CZ with detail of our issues here in the UK and in particular my non replies. I have had three responses in two days...( How refreshing!!) and wanted details and copies of my correspondence and have been told it is being escalated to the next managerial level and ask me to be patient whilst it is looked into. Now we will have to see what happens but at least someone is talking to me!!!!

I emphasised the point that it the big issue is not my personal replies in particular, but the whole dreadful Customer Service scenario in the UK, mine being just one example of many!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2021 at 16:47, Jelugs said:

In the meantime my frustration got to such a point that I E mailed  Customer Services in CZ with detail of our issues here in the UK and in particular my non replies. I have had three responses in two days...( How refreshing!!) and wanted details and copies of my correspondence and have been told it is being escalated to the next managerial level and ask me to be patient whilst it is looked into. Now we will have to see what happens but at least someone is talking to me!!!!

I emphasised the point that it the big issue is not my personal replies in particular, but the whole dreadful Customer Service scenario in the UK, mine being just one example of many!!

Well an update on the Customer Service shambles. My optimism was misplaced after my replies from CZ Head office! I had a reply saying they were sorry i was dissapointed with the car!!!!!! can you believe it, i quickly pointed out the car is superb unlike customer services!! They did however pass it all to head office in the UK....Guess what, yes, no response whatsoever!!. I am sick to death of the absolutel sheer incompetence demonstrated by this dept. I am at a loss now what to do. I have spent, like the rest of you, a lot of time on this and quite frankly I am back exactly where I started so, unlike me, but I have hoisted the white flag of surrender to Customer Services and i hope they are proud of their actions ( or really non actions). What a shame they do not read the feelings of their customers via outlets like this forum..but hey ho thats it. Everyone stay safe and good luck to anyone wanting to take it further. As they say on Dragons Den...I'm OUT.

On 18/02/2021 at 16:47, Jelugs said:

Any feedback yet?

I have also raised an issue with trying to input a destination via the phone contacts and guess what... it says invalid format despite the correct address and post code being displayed on the screen. Standard Samsung Galaxy. They are 'looking into it'! I was hoping this may be a workaround for the lat/lon postcode issues.

Just seen the  last post which crossed with this one!

Edited by stewartv
content

Just now, stewartv said:

Any feedback yet?

I have also raised an issue with trying to input a destination via the phone contacts and guess what... it says invalid format despite the correct address and post code being displayed on the screen. Standard Samsung Galaxy. They are 'looking into it'! I was hoping this may be a workaround for the lat/lon postcode issues.

Well an update on the Customer Service shambles. My optimism was misplaced after my replies from CZ Head office! I had a reply saying they were sorry i was dissapointed with the car!!!!!! can you believe it, i quickly pointed out the car is superb unlike customer services!! They did however pass it all to head office in the UK....Guess what, yes, no response whatsoever!!. I am sick to death of the absolutel sheer incompetence demonstrated by this dept. I am at a loss now what to do. I have spent, like the rest of you, a lot of time on this and quite frankly I am back exactly where I started so, unlike me, but I have hoisted the white flag of surrender to Customer Services and i hope they are proud of their actions ( or really non actions). What a shame they do not read the feelings of their customers via outlets like this forum..but hey ho thats it. Everyone stay safe and good luck to anyone wanting to take it further. As they say on Dragons Den...I'm OUT.

I see that according to Autocar: "Skoda Sales & Marketing boss, Alain Favey, will move to fellow Volkswagen Group brand Bentley later this year to replace Chris Craft. Favey, whose career with the VW group stretches back to 2009, and includes stints at Volkswagen, Porsche and Skoda, will oversee product launches with the |British luxury brand from June as it progresses with its 'Beyond 100' electrification strategy.

I'd hope he'll listen to Bentley customers better than he has to us, or he won't last long there!

No news yet on who his replacement will be.

Chris 

On 07/03/2021 at 17:36, Jelugs said:

I have now had a response from the UK team who, on advice from the factory, 

"I have received contact back from our factory team who have advised that your vehicle is required to visit your local ŠKODA Retailer for MIB software configuration & map data update."

I will endeavour to find out exactly what the MIB Software configuration actually means!

I did raise the issues about map updates, unable to select phone contacts as a destination and also Skoda Connect not sending route information.

I will post back when this 'update' has been performed.

The Car was delivered December 2020. Amundsen software v0270 and maps are now 20/11 which partially updated just the UK OTA. (Website still shows for my VIN  20/21 and use an SD Card!)

Sounds interesting :)

I've been concerned that my maps hadn't updated online yet, but wondered if that was due to my only being able to drive it for around 24 hours since November. (My Amundsen is also at Software v0270, but the navigation database was still 19.11 - the same as when it was built in October 2020.)

But I thought I'd check the latest status and see that the nav database has now been updated in the background to 20.9! Funny that yours has gone to 20.11, but perhaps that will appear on mine in the next few months?

Chris

Road close to me is closed for roadworks for a few days. Driving home, the sat nav warned me the road was closed. Something must be working then.

Just wondering about those concenred their maps aren't being updated - is there actually a road that exists but isn't being displayed on your map or are we all looking for problems that don't actually exist?

Mine picks up roadworks without needing a map update. I think it knows about them from online warnings as mine told me a local road had roadworks before they started! And then tells me that the 40 mph limit on the other carriageway also applies to me when it doesn't!

My favourite 'test' road to see if my maps are up to date used to be the A14 at Huntington. But I haven't been allowed to drive that way for a L O N G time!

Chris

15 hours ago, CJJE said:

Mine picks up roadworks without needing a map update. I think it knows about them from online warnings as mine told me a local road had roadworks before they started! And then tells me that the 40 mph limit on the other carriageway also applies to me when it doesn't!

My favourite 'test' road to see if my maps are up to date used to be the A14 at Huntington. But I haven't been allowed to drive that way for a L O N G time!

Chris

Need to try that one. I used to travel west to Sandy a lot. The last time I went was last November and at the Cambridge road works the car kept telling me to keep right, I did and ended up going over the big bridge towards Huntingdon. It was a nightmare to get back onto the A428. I ended up getting out my old Garmin Zumo (with 2007 maps!) and trying the best of both. Eventually the wife got out the map book and navigated us back to the 428. 

Next time I hope the maps my dealer just updated for me will get me there.

Tom 

Edited by Sanqhar

27 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Need to try that one. I used to travel west to Sandy a lot. The last time I went was last November and at the Cambridge road works the car kept telling me to keep right, I did and ended up going over the big bridge towards Huntingdon. It was a nightmare to get back onto the A428. I ended up getting out my old Garmin Zumo (with 2007 maps!) and trying the best of both. Eventually the wife got out the map book and navigated us back to the 428. 

Next time I hope the maps my dealer just updated for me will get me there.

Tom 

It all works in mysterious ways. Map updates are needed as even last week it kept trying to take me up one way streets the wrong way to get back on a closed road.

Another very strange anomaly is that on the M11 there is a 60 and 50 mile speed limit for roadworks.  My Kodiaq 3 year old Columbus displays all the correct speed restrictions in the roadworks but despite the 'new' MIB3 Amundsen showing the actual roadworks, the displayed speed stays at 70!

Not much help when you are using the new speed alert system that picks up from the satnav the speed limits in place whether temporary or actual!

Maybe Skoda are using different sources for traffic and roadworks data?

The area to the north and west of Cambridge has been a nightmare test for satnavs for years; I used to travel frequently to the midlands to visit my late father, and the road layout/priorities between Cambridge and Brampton Hut used to change on a weekly basis. Even my Tomtom couldn't keep pace and our best bet turned out to be Googlemaps instructions from my wife's phone. The Skoda satnav in the Karoq was, of course, utterly useless.

Last September, the Karoq's sd card was updated by the dealer  - but the satnav failed dismally on a trip up the A14 in October - I was still, apparently, driving across open fields.  I now understand that the maps are actually revised every November so I hope that the new maps, updated by the dealer last week, will perform rather better. I'd be interested to hear how folk are getting on with recent map updates when driving on that stretch of road as I don't have any plans for going that way in the near future.

Edited by StEdmund
grammar

37 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

I now understand that the maps are actually revised every November

According to the Skoda update portal https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ :

Navigation maps are updated twice a year; other software updates (e.g. Bluetooth, MirrorLink or Station Logos) are updated irregularly, if needed.