Finally got to test the all season tyres!

Ahh man I’m thinking of soing the same thing after 4-5 years. Winters have almost no snow in the last 10 years.

You don’t wonder where to store the other set of tires and you don’t wait for tires change for an hour or two just before the season and few other benefits :)

I’m reading here that Goodyear or either Michelin are the best all season tires.

But my wife wants us to learn some winter sports, so not sure how would be the handling in mountains with such tires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

Ahh man I’m thinking of soing the same thing after 4-5 years. Winters have almost no snow in the last 10 years.

You don’t wonder where to store the other set of tires and you don’t wait for tires change for an hour or two just before the season and few other benefits :)

I’m reading here that Goodyear or either Michelin are the best all season tires.

But my wife wants us to learn some winter sports, so not sure how would be the handling in mountains with such tires.

Well I think the struggle getting up that hill was partly down to it being compacted snow and ice and partly down to me leaving the traction control on. If we get another snowfall, I'll try again with it switched off. 

All season tyres aren't quite as good as winter tyres in winter and aren't quite as good as summer tyres in summer. They are better than summer tyres in winter though and better than winter tyres in summer. 

Ideal for the generally mild UK winters with rare snowfall. 

• Like 2

We've had cross climates on our 4x4 since they were launched and even in deep snow they've been excellent here on the SW of Sheffield at the edge of the Peak District.  I certainly wouldn't go back to summer tyres now on a normal car and am even thinking of swapping the Swift onto all seasons (but probably Vredesteins rather than Cross Climates or Vector 4 Seasons)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK Cross Climate 2 will be even better and their price as well :D Currently CC+ can be bought for £135 each for 225/50/17 which is my original summer tires size on the Scout. CC2 will most likely be £150 or even £160 each.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

Don't think you'd have any problems on the Cross Climates in the mountains after watching this. 

Although I live in the southern coast of England and its rare for it to snow, I took the plunge on Cross Climates due to extended tyre life compared to summers plus the reassurance that when the weather turns wet and cold they will still be a good performer. Its 4C now where I live and has been very wet with some horrendous driving conditions and I have been very pleased with them. They just grip like the road is dry and really are not at all upset where sheets of water occur that could induce aquaplaning 

Get the thumbs up from me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live lower down, in Chesterfield. Only driven on suburban side road ice. I wouldn't fancy living up in Riber Castle, nice as the view is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Drove on actual snow today, wheel spin easily induced by a heavy right foot going up a hill but lifted off a bit and no bother at all. Vredestein Quattrac 5.

On 01/01/2021 at 16:59, gregoir said:

I live lower down, in Chesterfield. Only driven on suburban side road ice. I wouldn't fancy living up in Riber Castle, nice as the view is.

A surprise snowfall today out on Beeley Moor. I came across several cars belonging to folks who had been out walking and noticed they were parked on the edge of the ditch with summer tyres!! I stopped my car to assist a young lass and her friends who were trying to get their VW Golf DSG going.

Luckily, I have some shoe chains which I simply attach to my walking shoes to give grip even on ice and went to give them a push. I told her to switch the traction control off and keep the revs at 2000 and with help from me, off they went.

Next and just behind my car in the footage, a young lad was all over the place, over revving his Corsa. The problem was worsened by the Land Rover driver who just kept coming towards the hazard! Eventually he listened to me and reversed out of the way. I then gave the lad the same advice as the girl and pushed him away from the ditch until he got going ok.

Following this, I went on my way and the all season tyres showed their worth! This time I remembered to switch the traction control off and it was no drama 👍

• Like 2

I have Michelin CC, and didn't like them to start with either wet or dry,  but after 25% wear they improved to give decent grip in all conditions. Very good life span, but prone to punctures (very strange). Need to replace this year, and tempted by Goodyear Vectors, but had bad experience of Goodyears on my Honda CRV - terrible tyres.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/01/2021 at 16:59, gregoir said:

Snap :thumbup: Not much snow was had in town, however Alfreton had a fair sprinkling, but I never needed to go out in it (lockdown rules adhered too) 

There's a pretty steep hill up to Riber Castle, I don't fancy that in any car in winter :sweat:

Over the last few weeks I've been back at work over in Cheshire. Just a few days each week. Typical that after WFH since last march I get requested to go back on site during the worst weather we've had in months. I'm still glad I chose the Michelin cross climate+ tyre's for my Octavia estate. They really come in to their own in these lower temperature's. On my commute I go 'over' Pott Shrigley, that is one high up place. (Not sure what it is above sea level) They have had a lot of drifting snow and due to the sheer volumes of water running off the fields, its almost like a constant running slurry of slush running down the road.

Nice and steady going up and down saw no dramas. (Traction control was on too) I will definitely try turning it off next time to see if it helps?

It's interesting to see different people's views on this, especially locals who see the same conditions that I see.

Pott Shrigley used to be famous for its annual motorcycle hillclimb. Not a speed hillclimb. But iirc how far can you get up the hill in a straight line.? I watched one event and only two bikes made it.

My Mk2 Octavia had a button to turn off traction control in a hurry. But the Mk3 doesn't. I'm not convinced turning it off will always help.

I had a brand new B5.5 Diesel Passat Estate around 2000. It was the first version to get the multiple acronym stability and traction control system. In heavy snow I retreated from blocked Bakewell on the Monyash Road. A long climb. Iirc in 3rd gear and going rather slowly, foot flat on the floor and revs limited by the system. I thought i could go a bit faster if I turned it off. Immediately had wheel spin and even backing off the car failed to get traction and slowed dramatically. Switched the system on again rapidly and carried on climbing. Shortly afterwards, after reaching the top,  warning lights started flashing. It was the brakes overheating in their efforts to ensure traction. Sorry for the ramble.

I currently have PS4S's on my VRS 4x4 and was stressing about putting all seasons on for my commute from the NW to Wales twice a week. However, Monday I had to contend with some extremely snowy uncleared B roads around the midlands and the car never slipped or skidded once on corners or hills.

Don't get me wrong I still think All Seasons will be the sensible choice next time but less of a concern now I've seen how capable the 4x4 system is even with an extremely summer biased tyre.

8 minutes ago, teamt84 said:

Don't get me wrong I still think All Seasons will be the sensible choice next time but less of a concern now I've seen how capable the 4x4 system is even with an extremely summer biased tyre.

Remember a 4x4 gives you better traction to get moving, but when it comes to braking there's no difference between 4x2 and 4x4 versions it's all down to the tyres - that's when All Seasons will really make a difference.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Remember a 4x4 gives you better traction to get moving, but when it comes to braking there's no difference between 4x2 and 4x4 versions it's all down to the tyres - that's when All Seasons will really make a difference.

I completely agree, though I would argue that driving to conditions and proper use of engine braking greatly reduces the need to apply the brakes in the first place, as said before I had zero issues when stopping for junctions or hazards with my PS4S.

What I was getting at was that I wouldn’t rush out to replace my current tyres now but when the time comes I’ll seriously consider all seasons. 

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 10:22, gregoir said:

Pott Shrigley used to be famous for its annual motorcycle hillclimb. Not a speed hillclimb. But iirc how far can you get up the hill in a straight line.? I watched one event and only two bikes made it.

My Mk2 Octavia had a button to turn off traction control in a hurry. But the Mk3 doesn't. I'm not convinced turning it off will always help.

I had a brand new B5.5 Diesel Passat Estate around 2000. It was the first version to get the multiple acronym stability and traction control system. In heavy snow I retreated from blocked Bakewell on the Monyash Road. A long climb. Iirc in 3rd gear and going rather slowly, foot flat on the floor and revs limited by the system. I thought i could go a bit faster if I turned it off. Immediately had wheel spin and even backing off the car failed to get traction and slowed dramatically. Switched the system on again rapidly and carried on climbing. Shortly afterwards, after reaching the top,  warning lights started flashing. It was the brakes overheating in their efforts to ensure traction. Sorry for the ramble.

Lol, ramble away, people can choose to read it or not, some of us appreciate what is posted by others. I haven't been up (or down) that road in ages, iirc last time I was up that way was when I last went to the Magpie Mine.

Interestingly Pott Shrigley now see's it's fair share of cyclists theses days. Tother night I was coming home and I passed a few cyclists climbing their way up to the top. They seem to ride up and over the top to the junction with the Macclesfield to Whaley road, have a breather and then go back down again, some summer evenings can be quite busy with multiple riders going for it.:yawn: :happy:

I sometimes wonder if I've been in a parallel winter universe by living up in Buxton and using summer tyres.. No more!

Engine braking cautiously sometimes resulted in the driving wheels locking. (Austin Maxi) and complete inability to hold the car stationary (Volkswagen Passat)

I sometimes wonder if I've been in a parallel winter universe by living up in Buxton and using summer tyres.. No more!

Engine braking cautiously sometimes resulted in the driving wheels locking. (Austin Maxi) and complete inability to hold the car stationary (Volkswagen Passat)

On 29/01/2021 at 12:22, gregoir said:

My Mk2 Octavia had a button to turn off traction control in a hurry. But the Mk3 doesn't. 

it does, it's hiding under the car menu and settings. It will only help if you're prepared to modulate the accelerator yourself.

On 29/01/2021 at 12:22, gregoir said:

EDS will limit engine power; ASR will try to stop the wheels from spinning. ABS sensors are used to detect this vs the speed of the rear wheels. 

Can be useful to turn it off - *if* you have some grip and you are prepared to modulate the pedal. Remember winter tyres have the most grip between 10 and 90% slip (I have a source for this, too, and it's not just living up here), so some slip is good. 

I regularly turn the ASR off on the A2 in winter - without it, power is more predictable even if grip isn't. 

The Octy I really don't like without ASR. I've driven a couple of laps of icetracks with the old one and .. without ASR you're redlining way too easily, the grip isn't really there and there's no push to help you set up for a corner. AWD versions do rather better in this. Last night we were even down to 90km/h at -7 with driving snow, it was pretty poor conditions on the motorway on the way home. Today? oof, 15cm of fresh powder, pretty much untouched by plough and I wouldn't have been able to get the octy out of the drive thanks to the big pile the plough left yesterday during the day. I took the SX4 and was very happy I did. There is too little traffic here at the moment, though, so it means my old rules - 0 to -5C, side roads are sheet ice, -5 to -10C main roads are ice, -10 to -15 the motorway is bad - are no longer valid. When you've got consistent cold, each car polishes the ice on the asphalt - depending on traffic levels and speed, that might mean that the ice is removed (motorways at 100km/h), or just polished. Yesterday there was already an E-Class in the snow in the central reservation - someone wasn't paying attention and drifted a little too far, and that's it, you're sunk into two feet of snow.

Engine braking shouldn't lock the wheels. There should be a twitch of the steering to do roundabouts, the rest is your right foot. If the indicator self-cancels, you're doing it wrong :) Most of the time, though, you guys get the wet stuff which is just meh to drive in. Compacted powder is more predictable. 

From here: 

- you shouldn't need brakes much in winter - engine braking is the way to go --> this also implies you're far enough from the car in front to do this.

- turn the engine on before you start clearing the snow

- clear all the windows, and the bonnet, and the roof; use a brush if you have to. Otherwise stuff moves, potentially onto your windscreen when you brake and then you're blind

- you might have to stop to get the ice off the wipers sometimes. The Octy is way better at this than the SX4.

- make sure you free the wipers before setting off - they might well be frozen in place to the screen. 

- a clean screen on the inside mists up a lot slower than a dirty one

Edited by brettikivi