2021 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

I just think Lewis applies himself differently which makes him a world beater. He has his haters, but so did Schumi. 

I’m no fanboy of his but our mothers were best friends at primary school in the 60s. They’re still in touch and Lewis’ mom described how they had absolutely nothing while he was young so a nice story really, not unlike the paid drivers like Mazespin and others which is what is completely wrong with F1 today but like camelspyder says, it’s a business not a sport. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DiscoStoo said:

I’m no fanboy of his but our mothers were best friends at primary school in the 60s. They’re still in touch and Lewis’

Comments about "the Stevenage gangsta' " etc, are a comment on the USian gangsta rappa accent that Lewis sometimes affects (verb form from noun affectation).

4 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Spoiler alert!!!!!

Congratulations to Mercedes and the Haminator. Perfect strategy separated Mercedes and Red Bull today as far as I can see.

The most interesting thing I took from the race was Bottas holding Lewis up a little even though he had been told that Lewis was 'on a different strategy and going for the win' (something Bottas was unlikely to be able to match). My take from this is that Bottas is feeling a bit grumpy, imposing himself a little and to the teams potential detriment and it opens the door for Russell to move into the team next season as a natural fit. Lewis probably only has this and perhaps one more season at the top of his game I reckon and although Bottas is quick, he isn't premier A++ quick, something that Russell perhaps is, or at least A+ quick if you see what I mean. So for me, it's Hamilton and Russell at Merc next season, with Russell taking over as lead driver the year after if all goes well.

So you didn't hear Toto talking about Ocon again today? Currently taking Alonso to the cleaners and putting himself back in the frame at Mercedes.

If Russell wants that INEOS F1 seat next year hes going to have to do better, because its not a nailed on certainty.

I didn't hear anything said by Mr W, but my thinking is that as his manager and the recent excellent showing in the Merc it's a pretty good start for Russell. Plus he is performing comparatively well in a rather weak Williams. Ocon has a similar successful history to Russell, coming into F1, but he does seem to get involved with a lot of run ins with team mates and others on the track.  

I doubt the second MB seat is nailed on for any driver (literally or figuratively). If Max knocked on Toto's door and said "let me drive for you next season please", Toto may well invite him in for a cup of tea and a biscuit 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I didn't hear anything said by Mr W, but my thinking is that as his manager and the recent excellent showing in the Merc it's a pretty good start for Russell. Plus he is performing comparatively well in a rather weak Williams. Ocon has a similar successful history to Russell, coming into F1, but he does seem to get involved with a lot of run ins with team mates and others on the track.  

I doubt the second MB seat is nailed on for any driver (literally or figuratively). If Max knocked on Toto's door and said "let me drive for you next season please", Toto may well invite him in for a cup of tea and a biscuit 

I think Max will have trouble activating the rumoured exit clause for poor performance. RB are clearly a lot quicker, comparitively speaking, than it was before.

Ocon beating Alonso isn't doing his chances any harm though. I mean George is quick sure but who has he actually beaten. Mazepin, and poor Kubica with just one arm.

I can't really see Max knocking on Toto's door (he probably has a door bell anyway).

Russell has been tooling around in an awful car and has showed he can drive, not just in the MB stint he had. Talent shines through no matter what imho and for me, he is a natural fit in the MB team. Also jumping into a car he doesn't know intimately and leading the man who occasionally beats LH in that same machine, showed a bit or promise. Be interesting to see how tied Ocon is to his national team and whether the fact that Toto's farming Russell out to Williams (who of course use MB engines) was his way of biding time for the second seat option at MB to be available

Hamilton has been quoted as saying he won't leave negotiating his 2022 contract to the last minute again - a strong hint that he still wants to be racing next year?

16 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I can't really see Max knocking on Toto's door (he probably has a door bell anyway).

Russell has been tooling around in an awful car and has showed he can drive, not just in the MB stint he had. Talent shines through no matter what imho and for me, he is a natural fit in the MB team. Also jumping into a car he doesn't know intimately and leading the man who occasionally beats LH in that same machine, showed a bit or promise. Be interesting to see how tied Ocon is to his national team and whether the fact that Toto's farming Russell out to Williams (who of course use MB engines) was his way of biding time for the second seat option at MB to be available

Toto farmed out both his lead junior drivers. Talk already is Alpine may move for Gasly next year. Has Ocon already got a deal elsewhere?

1 hour ago, punyXpress said:

Just to lighten the debate:

Tonight, ITV4, 8pm, Historic G.P. Highlights

See how it was really done back in the day

Yes, have they decided whose fault the crash was on the start straight? Nasty seeing drivers crash those 70s F1 cars. Very dangerous not to mention classis cars getting damaged.

Edited by camelspyyder

45 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Toto farmed out both his lead junior drivers. Talk already is Alpine may move for Gasly next year. Has Ocon already got a deal elsewhere?

Are you saying Gasly will push Ocon out? Doesn't speak too well for Ocon if that's the case regardless of whether Gasly can bring big bucks or not. 

I'll have a virtual wager with you, of a virtual 'pie and chips' (with gravy) that Russell will get the seat over Gasly 

9 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Are you saying Gasly will push Ocon out? Doesn't speak too well for Ocon if that's the case regardless of whether Gasly can bring big bucks or not. 

I'll have a virtual wager with you, of a virtual 'pie and chips' (with gravy) that Russell will get the seat over Gasly 

Done.👍🏻

The Gasly/Alpine link has been widespread gossip for weeks now. I'm just passing it on.

I feel Russell is only one more big error away from falling seriously out of favour with Wolff. Remember him chucking it into the barriers during the safety car last time at Imola? That cost vital points for Williams, and his most recent Imola effort cost both Williams and Mercedes.

I think he is exactly where Ocon was 2 years ago, when the Frenchman was publicly assuming that he himself was heir to the throne at Mercedes-AMG, and that he would get Bottas seat.

Edited by camelspyyder

Oh I remember...

Just before the food cropped up, I was going to ask if there's any reason why Mercedes wouldn't take Norris over either of their juniors?

For me, he's certainly the one showing form this year.

Maybe his disparaging remarks about Hamilton and how his 7 world titles should be attributed to his car won't help his cause. Norris comes across as a bit of a kn0b imho. Seems quick though and has the coolest name on the grid (if you discount Mick Schumacher who wins that competition because of his family name)

Edited by Lady Elanore

52 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Can I have a chicken and leak pie please? with lots of gravy 

:tongueout:

One chicken and confidential press briefing pie, with chips and gravy!

• Groan 1

Turkey now cancelled just 2 weeks after taking Canada's cancelled GP.

Well that didn't last long did it?

Austria to run 2 GPs instead.

In fact the schedule has been shuffled,  There is now no F1 GP on the weekend 11-13 JUNE at all.

France will move to 20 Jun. with the RedBull Ring hosting on 27 Jun and 4 Jul.

Edited by camelspyyder