Delivery times?

13 minutes ago, Von_Awesome said:

I understand a PHEV is not for everyone, i wouldn't have ordered one if it wasn't a company car myself. My employer provides enough chargers for all PHEV company cars to charge at work everyday. It is cheaper in tax than my 1.6 TDI Golf and was heavily discounted by Skoda. There is no way i would have gone for a vRS otherwise. In that scenario a PHEV makes perfect sense. 

If i knew about the delivery times when ordering, i probably wouldn't have ordered an Octavia at all.

The range clearly is an issue, but to be real: My 1.6 TDI is supposed to do nearly 70 MPG. I am pretty happy getting something better than 55 MPG, but my average is closer to 50MPG. Being "creative" about fuel consumption/range is not exactly new. 

Noted on your employer providing on-site charging facilities but what about charging at home and at weekends, that will be down to you, in the car you get two charging cables, one rapid and one which is standard 230v 3 pin (or 2 pin EU I guess) So when you are not at work what will you do, drive to a charging point and sit in the car for 4 hours, then you only get 30 miles? Ultimately EV or Hybrid makes absolutely no sense to me unless tootling around local town, school run, local shopping etc. Any commuting mileage is just nonsense in my book.

@Superted best you get to understand what a Rapid Charger is.   50 kW DC or even 43kW AC.     Many are just tooting about using PHEV, and charging cheap or free and not using petrol when no need.   That is what it is all about.  The business use can be a con, and is still being allowed to be. 

Edited by toot

3 minutes ago, toot said:

@Superted there is no Rapid charging of a PHEV,. 7 kW is called Fast charging,. Not fast and neither is getting 3.6kWh.  as to infrastructure the UK is a big place.    Lots of 7kW chargers around, where the issue is 50, 100 and 100+ kW chargers.    Many employers are putting in home chargers,. Many hybrid and EV drivers are self employed and employers and putting in chargers.  Many PHEV,s and EV being charged and used in the UK are owned by Motability and Motability is providing chargers and working towards better public charging to suit disabled drivers.  ? How long are you expecting to live?  Pass 2030 even beyond 2035?

Who knows how long I will live, but IMHO there will be no full charging infrastructure in this country in my lifetime, period!

• Haha 1

I think you are very likely correct for England.  As to Scotland the £50 million plus of public money already spent with Charge Place Scotland and the next £60 million away to be spent is a scandal for what is a pretty crap arrangement.   The free charging encouraged many to Hybrids and EV, and now maintenance and the back room admin and IT is hopeless.     I did get on a Rapid while posting this as a greedy barsteward decided more than an hour's free charging was enough.  Or he could get no more in.    Ps. Yesterday I was at a park and ride with 30 Fast chargers with a 12 hour time limit and another with 60 Fast chargers and no time limit.  These are perfect for people with PHEV, or EV,s where there are parking issues in towns or cities or even those maybe taking a flight and parking up.   At the big park and ride the local council mini buses are there charging. 

Edited by toot

19 hours ago, Superted said:

Seems to be these hybrid things, personally I wouldn't touch them. My wife has ac, same unit, she has had it for a year plugged in twice, or maybe three times, once at Tesco. One hour shopping got 9 miles on EV, got us home, that was it. When she first got it, Jan 22 I fully charged it  took 6 hours on a Sunday. Monday was a freezing day, took daughter to school, had 29 miles on EV charge, school is less than 3 miles away, managed to fleece more than 10 miles of EV charge, since then only charged once more. At todays elastictrickey charges I'm not plugging that thing in anymore, did so a couple of weeks ago, 15 mins and smart meter racked up £2.50, sorry these PHEV Hybrids are not for me.

I mean that can't be right - £2.50 in electricity for 15 mins? A PHEV is only £3-£3.50 to charge fully at current home rates.  PHEVs work if you do fairly short trips and can keep them charged up. I can't charge at home but do daily at work and if out and about. Can go over 1000 miles before needing to fill up with petrol. 

Freezing temperatures hurt range as you're running heaters and all sorts of other things. My last car was tragic in the cold weather- used to get under 30mpg! 

• Like 1

If 35 pence a kWh then 10 kWh is £3.50.  on a 7 kW charger a EV might get 6.6 kWh in 60 minutes.  I get 1.1 kWh in 10 minutes.   If the car charges at only 3.6 kW then someone is getting their figures very wrong for 15 minutes on a home charger. 

Edited by toot

Has anyone had any joy in making complaints to anywhere in the Skoda company? I ordered my VRS IV in November 21. No build dates have ever been given and still no further news. Since ordering the price of pcp and pch on new have rocketed across not only the vag group but in general. Just wondered if anyone had managed to get any traction making complaints to departments and if so what ones. I’m in a catch 22 situation where I don’t want to keep maintaining the old vehicle but then if I put a new order in for another vehicle I’ll be paying 200-300 quid more a month for a comparable vehicle. They have got you by the short and curleys and suppose they know it. 

24 minutes ago, Theheath1982 said:

Has anyone had any joy in making complaints to anywhere in the Skoda company? I ordered my VRS IV in November 21. No build dates have ever been given and still no further news. Since ordering the price of pcp and pch on new have rocketed across not only the vag group but in general. Just wondered if anyone had managed to get any traction making complaints to departments and if so what ones. I’m in a catch 22 situation where I don’t want to keep maintaining the old vehicle but then if I put a new order in for another vehicle I’ll be paying 200-300 quid more a month for a comparable vehicle. They have got you by the short and curleys and suppose they know it. 

Have you ordered a petrol, diesel or the hybrid?

1 hour ago, Theheath1982 said:

I recently complained to Skoda UK using the Contact Us on their site. I too have ordered an Octavia vRS iv in Aug 2021!!

I got a written reply in the post. Just generic reasons for delays, semiconductor shortage, conflict in Ukraine etc.

Apparently “it will be worth the wait”!!

Included was a Skoda branded Portable  Power Bank as a little gesture of good will 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nothing else, no answers to any of my questions. 

I’m not expecting to see the car anytime before June/July this year, if at all!

Edited by 8urn
  • Groan 1

13 hours ago, Theheath1982 said:

What penalty clauses for delays did you sign up to

If you made a open order, (it is entirely up to supplier if it takes 10 weeks or 10 months, or even 10 years), then sorry to say it is naive.   They know they can just ignore you for few years until you eventually cancel.

You might think it hurts their reputation, but whilst they can't build fast enough and have a huge waiting list, they are unlikely to worry.   Lets be honest, if they can build a vehicle for someone else who is paying 20% more then there is no incentive to build your car, and is unlikely to be anytime soon.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 09:24, Von_Awesome said:

I understand a PHEV is not for everyone

There is no way i would have gone for a vRS otherwise. In that scenario a PHEV makes perfect sense. If i knew about the delivery times when ordering, i probably wouldn't have ordered an Octavia at all.

Good points - I was in for the same opportunity at work with company installed charger (plus choice of EQC or Tesla). I went for an opted-out petrol Octavia in the end, only waited 5 months for it and understand the others who went for PHEV still waiting 19 months later!!!

I could give you many arguments for staying petrol only including my 15k annual mileage, and don't dismiss self-charging hybrids since my other half got a CHR Toyota for her 1.5 mile commute (yep, one point five!!!), but ............. the Octavia's increased ride height for the PHEV to accommodate ground clearance for low slung batteries was a total deal breaker for me! Ruins the vRS look IMHO! Have you ever seen Usain Bolt in stilettos.....?! 

Delivery time topic has gone all electric! I am also stuck with a perfectly reliable and entirely suitable car but it's due it's biggest service yet in a few months. I'm going to put a load of cash into it and then have to sell it or trade it in, so annoying. But cancel my order and I don't get the car I wanted, and if I get something else, it'll easily swallow the cash I'd have sunk into this car anyway, so I have no choice but to wait. But I now hear people are having orders cancelled (Not skoda, info from my employers car scheme partner) so if that happens I'll be livid. If it wasn't raining so heavy outside, I'd consider my next skoda to be a bike!

• Groan 1

Also, the factory going on holiday/shutdowns - the parts aren't there I honestly don't know how the car industry as well as the dealerships are still afloat. If all of us and the rest of the world are waiting for their cars, it's not because the factories workforce are slacking off and taking longer lunches. Worlds gone mad. Bound to be Boris' fault :D

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thommo41 said:

Delivery time topic has gone all electric! I am also stuck with a perfectly reliable and entirely suitable car but it's due it's biggest service yet in a few months. I'm going to put a load of cash into it and then have to sell it or trade it in, so annoying. But cancel my order and I don't get the car I wanted, and if I get something else, it'll easily swallow the cash I'd have sunk into this car anyway, so I have no choice but to wait. But I now hear people are having orders cancelled (Not skoda, info from my employers car scheme partner) so if that happens I'll be livid. If it wasn't raining so heavy outside, I'd consider my next skoda to be a bike!

Feels a bit check mate doesn’t it? Personally I don’t believe the conspiracy stories that it’s planned to drive electrification… purely on the basis that the car industry hasn’t driven anything for months (& more importantly neither  have many of us 🙂 ..) 

Hold the front page. Just chased, got a new contact at the dealer as my salesman has gone to sell house in the USA instead! Anyway, he says STATUS 30 for my car now, which is in transit to port. If that's true, who in the UK can give me a rough idea of how slow the ports are getting cars into UK dealers? I am baffled that if this is true, why they wouldn't tell me that - I've only been asking for this kind of progress update since August!
Oh and for the record I don't believe my Petrol VRS order is held up to drive EV sales - nonsense. I can't get an EV or Hybrid either. I am a touch more excited than I was this morning, I do hope this is accurate info.

• Like 2

Feels like this topic has turned into an electric/charger related thread.🤨😀

Anyway, after the so called “holiday break” ended at the factory, did someone get news related to unfinished cars?

Mine is probably waiting for parts more than 3 months now. After already 17 months of wait for the build week, this last 3 months were like a real endless torture.

The dealer said that after the initial delivery week (which is 4 weeks after the original build week) the car’s status is not changing anymore, so it “will arrive someday” - they said, which is not an answer after 20 months.

My contracted price with the company discount is around 35% below the current list prices, and after this amount of time I would be the stupidest to jump out from the deal, but this additional and neverending, unpredictable waiting makes me crazy. 😕

Edited by Sque4ler
  • Groan 2

5 hours ago, Sque4ler said:

Feels like this topic has turned into an electric/charger related thread.🤨😀

Anyway, after the so called “holiday break” ended at the factory, did someone get news related to unfinished cars?

Mine is probably waiting for parts more than 3 months now. After already 17 months of wait for the build week, this last 3 months were like a real endless torture.

The dealer said that after the initial delivery week (which is 4 weeks after the original build week) the car’s status is not changing anymore, so it “will arrive someday” - they said, which is not an answer after 20 months.

My contracted price with the company discount is around 35% below the current list prices, and after this amount of time I would be the stupidest to jump out from the deal, but this additional and neverending, unpredictable waiting makes me crazy. 😕

I pretty much in the same situation, i have pretty nice deal, however after 16 months i don't have any information at all. And i also have doubts should i drop the wait or continue this absurd. One thing i know for sure, i will never buy Škoda again. My last two cars were BMWs, and the customer experience is in different dimension,the dealer is polite and very supportive, well i think that the of the reasons why there are such difference in price.

Edited by Semiconductor34
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, thommo41 said:

Hold the front page. Just chased, got a new contact at the dealer as my salesman has gone to sell house in the USA instead! Anyway, he says STATUS 30 for my car now, which is in transit to port. If that's true, who in the UK can give me a rough idea of how slow the ports are getting cars into UK dealers? I am baffled that if this is true, why they wouldn't tell me that - I've only been asking for this kind of progress update since August!
Oh and for the record I don't believe my Petrol VRS order is held up to drive EV sales - nonsense. I can't get an EV or Hybrid either. I am a touch more excited than I was this morning, I do hope this is accurate info.

I was informed that my petrol VRS left the factory 19th November, I collected it 13th December. So, fingers crossed you'll have it very soon. Enjoy 🙂

• Like 2

I periodically bombarded my sales manager. Yesterday I received a message that next week they are meeting with the representative of Škoda and will talk about the critical orders. After that, he promised to give some news.
Sometimes I consider the idea of buying another car - Škoda Karoq or Hyundai Tucson, but considering the price of my Octavia, I cannot make such a decision. The fuel consumption is higher for those cars, and the bank interest rate will no longer be as low as when I ordered the Octavia.
That's why I'm forced to wait... If I knew that the car would arrive in the next 1-2 months, then I wouldn't be so stressed, but knowing that others are waiting for 18 or more months...
Just knowing that the car was ordered back in September 2021, it seems like it should be ready sometime soon. However, almost 16 months have passed...

• Sad 1