Seat memory issues

Hi Gents,

already looked for a forum solution but no luck. My issue is related to Seat memory - tried all tips and tricks and nothing worked so far.

Driver's seat buttons are workin and I can adjust seat, but can't save via programming buttons. Tried to set up by moving forward, back, etc. also I've tried to set up seat by using OBD11, but again...no luck. Checked all the connections under the seat...all good. I even bought new switch (that part with buttons) to check if maybe that is faulty...well, it wasn't.

I have no idea what else i could do...

P.S. saving methodology i was using:

1. adjust mirrors + seat (all positions)

2. press SET button (for about 1 sec or longer) - release that button

3. Press 1/2/3 button to save it....no GONG sound at the end.

2 hours ago, Stella6yew said:

The only thing I would suggest is at step 2 a short press & instant release, don’t hold for any length of time. Other than that I can’t suggest anything else. 

thanks mate for that.  I was trying to use different button variations (long,short press etc) but no luck anytime. Also tried to press and hold 2 buttons at the same time...no luck.

MY OBD11 shows me that i have 7 issues under seats section "B135154", 135254, B201000 etc all static ones. 

9 hours ago, techsearchuk said:

For step 3 try holding the number button down for a few seconds. That's how I manage to get mine set

yep, also tried that. not working.

so , i've also tried to do it with Ignition off, on, while driving..nothing worked so far.

i've tried to re-calibrate seat by obd11 - its moving max forward,back, tilt up etc...same after that...

OBD11 -> Live Data -> tried to check all buttons communication etc with module..all worked perfectly.

so either its a faulty module (something is blocking) or its still me, not doing something properly/in right order.

This very problem has just happened me today !!!!!      My car is going to the main dealer for Timing Belt and Oil Service.......I'll get them to have a look (and post the findings)

Has been working perfectly since new (2016)

3 hours ago, k.young said:

This very problem has just happened me today !!!!!      My car is going to the main dealer for Timing Belt and Oil Service.......I'll get them to have a look (and post the findings)

Has been working perfectly since new (2016)

Will be waiting  for your reply :)

2 hours ago, Warkman said:

Have you tried holding the mem button down and whilst pressing down, press the number button?

Yes sir, ive tried different various button holding and releasing variations

• Like 1

Put the seat base all the way back, then all the way forward, then get into your position.

press and hold set for about 3 seconds then immoderately press 1 (has to be within 10 seconds) but do it straight away.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 00:29, kelso said:

Will be waiting  for your reply :)

Yes sir, ive tried different various button holding and releasing variations

It's going in to the main dealers on the 30th.

I noticed something ineresting today and probably connected.............I drove my car without my seatbelt on and it didn't beep to warn me.

On 21/03/2021 at 21:01, k.young said:

It's going in to the main dealers on the 30th.

I noticed something ineresting today and probably connected.............I drove my car without my seatbelt on and it didn't beep to warn me.

i dont think its related...before i switched off Belt warning signal via OBD11, i was not having that GONG signal for seats....so its seem unrelated...but still i'll be waiting for your feedback once coming back from the dealer

5 hours ago, kelso said:

i dont think its related...before i switched off Belt warning signal via OBD11, i was not having that GONG signal for seats....so its seem unrelated...but still i'll be waiting for your feedback once coming back from the dealer

Err why would you switch off the seat belt warning?

6 hours ago, facet edge said:

Err why would you switch off the seat belt warning?

1. Because i can ;)

2. Because very often im driving with heavy items on passengers seat and signal is annoying (yes, i dont want to seat belt that item)

I had this issue over 12months ago. I got the dealer look at it before the warranty expired. Just for reference my car has Kessy and three key fobs. The batteries hadn't been changed from new and were running low - there was an indication on the computer.

This is what I was told by the dealer who interpreted the error codes:

"At one point the car couldn't work out which key was in the car as the fob battery power was low and therefore didn't know which driver profile to apply. So it disabled the seat memories and the mirror settings."

I personally don't know what the codes were and frankly don't care.The main thing was giving the car to the dealer with all three keys, they installed fresh batteries and then did some jiggery pokery with a programmer and all was good again. They had three technicians on it as even they had not seen it before. 

It cost me the price of three batteries to get it fixed.

So I will now replace the key batteries every 18 months.

Edited by TerryMcK

43 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I had this issue over 12months ago. I got the dealer look at it before the warranty expired. Just for reference my car has Kessy and three key fobs. The batteries hadn't been changed from new and were running low - there was an indication on the computer.

This is what I was told by the dealer who interpreted the error codes:

"At one point the car couldn't work out which key was in the car as the fob battery power was low and therefore didn't know which driver profile to apply. So it disabled the seat memories and the mirror settings."

I personally don't know what the codes were and frankly don't care.The main thing was giving the car to the dealer with all three keys, they installed fresh batteries and then did some jiggery pokery with a programmer and all was good again. They had three technicians on it as even they had not seen it before. 

It cost me the price of three batteries to get it fixed.

So I will now replace the key batteries every 18 months.

Thank you TerryMcK for your input...i believe that's a good hint for me to start with. Some time ago i've replaced all batteries in my key fobs (kessy). now i dont see any indication on computer but maybe some "adaptation" is required... i will deep dive into that and let all know in this topic.

Following this as my memory seats haven't worked for a long time and there's quite a few fault codes associated with them.

Driving seat to limits in up, down, back, front, etc made no difference.

Car seems to select my profile correctly every time on dashboard. 

I had the same problem. Find a VCDS go Driver Seat Module, find and run seat adjustment reset. (Do not sit on driver seat as it will re-learn limit positions. ) Then clear the recorded fault codes. It will solve the problem.

• Like 1

Had the car in the main dealers today for timing belt & service.

The fixed my seat issue.................it was just as the poster above said............it needed to be plugged in and recalibrated (nothing needed to be replaced or repaired)

I don't even think they charged me.

• 3 weeks later...

so its me again....

in short....issue still there... ;/

what i have done in a meantime:

1. switched batteries to a new ones in all key fobs

2. used VCDS and obd11 to set new "Norming" in seats memory---didnt work. 

3. I've tried to reset seat settings to factory (both, via VCDS and OBD11) and no luck...I mean, both programs didn't let me to perform such operation.

I was thinking about going to a dealer, but i don't want to go there as of now (no other issues of needs with a car, therefore not worth it)...

On 27/03/2021 at 09:33, rumiexile said:

I had the same problem. Find a VCDS go Driver Seat Module, find and run seat adjustment reset. (Do not sit on driver seat as it will re-learn limit positions. ) Then clear the recorded fault codes. It will solve the problem.

do u mean Reset to factory settings or norming?

General, i have no other ideas what to do....

i had issues about 1.5 yrs back - my seat memory would not store/remember any positions.  i tried all the "tricks" to get it working again - but no luck.

they (dealer) tried doing a software update to the seat controller module - no luck.

end result was the seat memory driver module (J810) was replaced under warranty.

haven't had any issues since. 

new module 5Q0 959 760 C

old module 5Q0 959 760 B

59 minutes ago, JR RS said:

i had issues about 1.5 yrs back - my seat memory would not store/remember any positions.  i tried all the "tricks" to get it working again - but no luck.

they (dealer) tried doing a software update to the seat controller module - no luck.

end result was the seat memory driver module (J810) was replaced under warranty.

haven't had any issues since. 

new module 5Q0 959 760 C

old module 5Q0 959 760 B

im afraid that issue is being caused by that module...my car doesn't have warranty any more, therefore i can spend 150 pounds in better ways ;)

and Thank you for part number. i will try to find some good offer.

Edited by kelso

• 9 months later...

status update after few months...

as of now, obd11 indicates me only faults related to lumbar part. ive checked live data and it seems that other seat positions (base,back etc) are normed and no faults. in a meantime i didnt do anything with the seats...its just dissapeared by its own.

ok so lumbar part...did base settings via obd11 (few times). after that, obd11 still says lumbar not normed.

did try do set this up manually - full up and down + front and back lumbar....still no bong..still obd11 says "not normed".

out of ideas 🤯