2021 VRS TDI - Sound actuator and profile memory

Hi folks, new here and I've just picked up my new Octavia VRS TDI 4X4 Estate. 

I really like the car in most ways, but I'd love to know who's idea it was to force the ridiculous sound actuator on in normal mode! 

In sport mode yes fine, but normal mode is crazy... which is what it's driving me... Crazy! 

No problem though , I'm just switch to individual mode... having owned a few Skoda's before, it will remember my setup and all will be fine ... 

Oh it doesn't do that any more, it switches to normal every time! 🤦 

I have to say it's ruining a very good car for me, and I think it's a ridiculous decision to do this and very un skoda like...  It sounds even worse for a diesel car. 

Is there a way out of this insanity? Or do we think it may be fixed with a software update? Etc 🤔  Anyone had any joy disabling it? 

Any help gratefully received. 

Thanks folks, Pete. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure there is a way at the moment for your profile to be saved with every key start. There are many other frustrated posts or threads saying the same. A few commentators suggested it might be to do with meeting emissions targets. I've not read that it can be coded out and coding things is now a bit more tricky as accessing these systems is a lot more secure, as VCDS can't be used much more and is being replaced with something called SFD: 

Some of the mods available:

• Thanks 1

I was rather hoping they were doing away with the soundaktor (the car I test drove didn’t have one) but I understand they removed the heating steering wheel and added the fake noise as an improvement on more recent builds. I believe the older ones could either be disconnected or a fuse removed so I’ll be looking at both these options in lieu of the ability to disable with vcds (don’t really want fake noise in any mode) otherwise I’ll ask my dealer to disable it. 

51 minutes ago, DuncanW said:

I was rather hoping they were doing away with the soundaktor (the car I test drove didn’t have one) but I understand they removed the heating steering wheel and added the fake noise as an improvement on more recent builds. I believe the older ones could either be disconnected or a fuse removed so I’ll be looking at both these options in lieu of the ability to disable with vcds (don’t really want fake noise in any mode) otherwise I’ll ask my dealer to disable it. 

i thought UK cars didn't get the daft sound actuator thingy?? Mine doesn't (Jan 21 car), but it does have a heated steering wheel.

• Like 1

Well I really wish it didn't ItalianJob, but unfortunately it does. My car is MY21, it's a week old. 

One of the options I picked was the winter pack, so I have the heated wheel as part of that.... though why that would make a difference. 

It just seems like a REALLY daft decision from Skoda, when I would think that most people don't like it. Have the option for those that do sure, but don't force it on all of us. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys, if anyone finds a way to turn this nonsense off going forward please let me know, it would be appreciated. 

In the meantime, I will put a call into my dealer to see what they say about it. 

Cheers, Pete. 

5 minutes ago, VAGProf said:

If you decide on pulling the fuse, it's fuse ZC65 10A. Behind the glovebox. Bottom right corner of the fuse holder. 

If I come across a solution to turn on the 'memory' for driving modes like for the lane assist, I'll let you know!

Many thanks for the info VagProf, any downsides or other side effects to removing the fuse? If not, I will do that! 👍👌

24 minutes ago, VAGProf said:

If you decide on pulling the fuse, it's fuse ZC65 10A. Behind the glovebox. Bottom right corner of the fuse holder. 

If I come across a solution to turn on the 'memory' for driving modes like for the lane assist, I'll let you know!

it would be nice if car would save all settings, but seems that that would require some coding.

1 hour ago, MadPete said:

Many thanks for the info VagProf, any downsides or other side effects to removing the fuse? If not, I will do that! 👍👌

Just tried it on a RS iV I have in my workshop, din't notice any warnings on the cluster.

Probably some stored error codes, as long as it doesn't give a visual warning when starting the car, I wouldn't mind.

greets Wes

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, VAGProf said:

Just tried it on a RS iV I have in my workshop, din't notice any warnings on the cluster.

Probably some stored error codes, as long as it doesn't give a visual warning when starting the car, I wouldn't mind.

greets Wes

Top man, many thanks Wes! 👍

7 minutes ago, Skodev said:

How are you finding the car in general @MadPete? I’m waiting on my 4x4 estate, but they’re like hens teeth on here so not much feedback on how it drives etc. 

Skodev, in general I'm really pleased. 

I've had a VRS petrol in the past (MK3) , and it has way more grip than that, it also has this sort of really solid feel to it. A feeling of real confidence. 

The diesel engine is punchy, don't expect it ia rev like the petrol obviously... anf you have to stay on the turbo... But when you do, it was a huge wall of torque that pushes you into the seat. 

That and you get the economy of the Diesel, it was a perfect balance between a bit of fun and a practical car for me personally. 

If that's what you want, it hits the nail on the head. 

I just need to get rid of the stupid V8 sounds, and I'm a happy camper 👍

47 minutes ago, MadPete said:

Skodev, in general I'm really pleased. 

I've had a VRS petrol in the past (MK3) , and it has way more grip than that, it also has this sort of really solid feel to it. A feeling of real confidence. 

The diesel engine is punchy, don't expect it ia rev like the petrol obviously... anf you have to stay on the turbo... But when you do, it was a huge wall of torque that pushes you into the seat. 

That and you get the economy of the Diesel, it was a perfect balance between a bit of fun and a practical car for me personally. 

If that's what you want, it hits the nail on the head. 

I just need to get rid of the stupid V8 sounds, and I'm a happy camper 👍

Haha. It’s like marmite that actuator. It’s odd that they’ve taken a backwards step re how it functions though. It shouldn’t be active in normal, it should kick in when you select Sport. 
I think the remembering of last drive mode (or lack of) is definitely WLTP legislation driven as it’s the same with a number of new cars now. I had Mk3 vRS diesel, but 2wd so the torque used to play havoc with the front wheels and that juddering through them was painful when taking off from the lights. So was hoping the 4wd would eliminate that. Thanks for your thoughts, it’s great hear from someone who has the car already. 
Enjoy your motor pal and happy (responsible😬) driving. 👍🏼

On 02/04/2021 at 10:52, VAGProf said:

OK - so I just looked in the fuse box (VRS, built end Feb) and that slot is empty. Definitely got the fake sound though...wonder if it's piggy-backed off something else (I checked the other 2 10a fuses present but neither of them were relevant either).

On 02/04/2021 at 09:31, ItalianJob said:

i thought UK cars didn't get the daft sound actuator thingy?? Mine doesn't (Jan 21 car), but it does have a heated steering wheel.

I collected my Octavia VRS iV Last month (build week was 8/2/21) and I have the sound actuator so its strange that some are coming with/without it??? I THINK I did read that all iVs come with it though?

On 01/04/2021 at 23:31, MadPete said:

Hi folks, new here and I've just picked up my new Octavia VRS TDI 4X4 Estate. 

I really like the car in most ways, but I'd love to know who's idea it was to force the ridiculous sound actuator on in normal mode! 

In sport mode yes fine, but normal mode is crazy... which is what it's driving me... Crazy! 

No problem though , I'm just switch to individual mode... having owned a few Skoda's before, it will remember my setup and all will be fine ... 

Oh it doesn't do that any more, it switches to normal every time! 🤦 

I have to say it's ruining a very good car for me, and I think it's a ridiculous decision to do this and very un skoda like...  It sounds even worse for a diesel car. 

Is there a way out of this insanity? Or do we think it may be fixed with a software update? Etc 🤔  Anyone had any joy disabling it? 

Any help gratefully received. 

Thanks folks, Pete. 

How strange because I have the sound actuator but it does not activate in normal or eco, only sport or individual. 

7 minutes ago, Kenfold said:

How strange because I have the sound actuator but it does not activate in normal or eco, only sport or individual. 

Are you sure? Sound actuator is off in Eco and Comfort mode, set to normal in Normal mode and set to sport in Sport mode. And in Individual mode you can have it off, normal or in sport setting.

22 minutes ago, Kenfold said:

individual

23 minutes ago, Kenfold said:

This is exactly how it should work! 👍🏼👍🏼 
madness that again there are inconsistencies with how this feature is being applied to cars. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

This is first time I hear someone has fake sound set to off in normal mode.

I guess I'm the only one but I like the sound being activated in the Normal mode.

I think it would be best if the chosen driving mode would be saved to your profile and would be loaded next time when you start the car. This way everyone can choose whatever they want.

1 hour ago, DuncanW said:

OK - so I just looked in the fuse box (VRS, built end Feb) and that slot is empty. Definitely got the fake sound though...wonder if it's piggy-backed off something else (I checked the other 2 10a fuses present but neither of them were relevant either).

fuses.thumb.jpg.3a7b41085df4d026be2320793b900c46.jpg

SC65 is the one to pull. The LHD iV in my workshop has it, when pulled out, the actuator for interior sound doesn't work anymore.

You are not talking about the exterior sound in the exhaust?

Definitely the interior sound, but this is a standard vRS and not the iV so may well be different (think it only has the internal sound). I’ll have a better look at the fuse panel when I have a bit more time and see whether there are any present that state not used in the manual...

After a bit of research, I found out that fuse 65 is for the external sound when driving slow in the iV, not 'engine sound' like they call it in Elsawin. 

The only solution for the interior sound is to find the module and disconnect it, fuse 59 is shared with many other sensors (Air quality, reverse lights, dimming mirror, button for the parking brake, A/C pressure sensor)

The module should be located next to the wiper mechanism, in the middle under the windscreen. 

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I will "reopen" this topic. I have mine VRS Petrol for a 3 weeks and this fake noise driving me crazy. The long term solution is to buy OBD11 (not just for this) and turn it off in Normal mode and Lower the setting in Sport mode. But till I will do this, does have anyone some guide how to get fot the connector to disconnect it? I looked under the hood and there is no easy way how to do it without some dissasembly. And I would not want to break some clips during blind dissasembly. 

9 minutes ago, JirikH said:

The long term solution is to buy OBD11 (not just for this) and turn it off in Normal mode and Lower the setting in Sport mode.

You can't do that. If you disable the soundaktor it will be disabled on all modes. You can only lower the volume and whatever volume you set is halved in normal mode. 20% works good, almost impossible to notice the fakeness, just sounds like the engine.