280 SL Exec - Purchase advice

Good evening

I am after a 280. Prefer an L&K, but hard to track down. I have spotted a SL Exec - 2017 plate with 70k Mileage, £14.2K price. It has had one owner and according to the add, a full dealership history. 

I am not overly worried about the mileage as long as it has been well looked after. I also do very few miles (working from home) and will only really use it for the family holidays, occasional business trips. We have an electric car for the other weekly family trips. 

I have asked about it's previous use, was it a taxi/fleet vehicle etc... However I wondered if you could tell me what other questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Edited by Supertyke

• Supertyke changed the title to 280 SL Exec - Purchase advice

My method was to find the brochure for the year and figure out exactly which options were available, which the car was specced with, which have the highest value, and which ones I actually wanted. 

Evidence of the haldex having been looked after also

• Like 1

Check the handke to drop the seats and the air vent controls for the rear passengers. Easily kicked and broken. Haldex and DSG services as mentioned above. Check tyre wear is even. See if the DSG lever has been changed as its a part thats been known to fail. Its a ling read but the 280 thread is great. May even find your car's original purchase. ( i did). If driving find some speed bumps and listen for noise. 

Absolutely great cars. Great engine. Great space and invisible to most. (If yiu can bear to leave the exhaust tips sooty for extra stealth - i can't)

• Like 1

FMDSH. / Full Main Dealer Service History.   So what does the service history show, does it show to the manufacturers recommendations.

ie  DSG serviced @ 40,000 miles (so next due @ 80,000 miles.)

Was the Haldax Service done @ 3 years (2020)

Was the brake fluid changed @ 3 Years? 

When were the spark plugs changed?

Check the glovebox closes properly.  Some cars had a problem in that the glovebox side catch wouldn't engage properly and would sometimes fall open while driving.  A telltale sign is if there is poor alignment / sagging at the left hand side in the closed position.

• Like 1

A 280 certainly won't be a taxi or fleet vehicle. All the points above are valid so check them out especially the DSG and haldex servicing. 

I'd budget in a haldex service with filter clean too if those were done at dealers as they almost certainly don't clean the filter.

Otherwise seems a reasonable price considering the mileage. 

1 hour ago, KeteCantek said:

A 280 certainly won't be a taxi or fleet vehicle. All the points above are valid so check them out especially the DSG and haldex servicing. 

I'd budget in a haldex service with filter clean too if those were done at dealers as they almost certainly don't clean the filter.

Otherwise seems a reasonable price considering the mileage. 

But not uncommon in the executive /premium private hire to airport type business.  Heathrow used to see lots of upmarket saloons dropping and collecting businessmen (&women)

Potentially the service history will show a sharp drop off in mileage for last year if it was used for this kind of business

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

But not uncommon in the executive /premium private hire to airport type business.  Heathrow used to see lots of upmarket saloons dropping and collecting businessmen (&women)

Potentially the service history will show a sharp drop off in mileage for last year if it was used for this kind of business

Running cost for a 280 will be more than a Benz E220d which most executive taxis are. 

In any case, the diesel superb will do the job as well. However, I did once spot an Insignia VXR private hire (London so can identify with sticker) so yes, who knows! 

As mentioned earlier check the rear tyre wear - specifically the inside tread depth vs outside. My rear wheel camber was well out of whack & the inside tread on the rear tyres went down to the canvas while the outside / centre was still showing 4mm tread depth. I only picked it up after & got a tyre pressure warning for a slow puncture. It's hard to see the inside tyre tread wear unless it's on a ramp. 

It's petrol - therefore it won't have been a taxi (it would be financially stupid). Make sure you take a thorough look at it.

I think you're referring to this advert.

A couple of points I've noticed:

• Looks like a privately owned car
  • It has MIB 2.5, which is good (the larger touch screen without physical buttons)
  • Unfortunately there's no heated windscreen (which is an essential option for me)
  • Inside looks a bit dirty and well used in places (i.e. worn), but may come across better in person rather than photos

Personally, I think this car (£15k) looks in better condition and better equipped with key options such as heated windscreen and all-round parking sensors (2016 L&K). It also has less miles. You can easily update the infotainment to MIB 2.5 (from 2.0) if you want the larger screen.

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Confused 1

I think I would probably go for the Marshall one.  The privately owned vehicle does look a little 'well used', particularly in the back, though at these kind of mileages you have to expect some wear and tear.  The light interior also lightens the cabin area, though does stain if wearing denim or similar dark coloured clothes.  Through the dealer you would have a little more comeback if anything went wrong. Marshalls (of which Marshall-mini is part of the group) as you know is a major Skoda dealer and get excellent feedback, so would expect this car to be of a similar quality. Maybe a little too high mileage to pass through the Skoda approved programme?

Tha

On 07/04/2021 at 22:37, Chazzy said:

Check the handke to drop the seats and the air vent controls for the rear passengers. Easily kicked and broken. Haldex and DSG services as mentioned above. Check tyre wear is even. See if the DSG lever has been changed as its a part thats been known to fail. Its a ling read but the 280 thread is great. May even find your car's original purchase. ( i did). If driving find some speed bumps and listen for noise. 

Absolutely great cars. Great engine. Great space and invisible to most. (If yiu can bear to leave the exhaust tips sooty for extra stealth - i can't)

1 hour ago, coppertop said:

I think I would probably go for the Marshall one.  The privately owned vehicle does look a little 'well used', particularly in the back, though at these kind of mileages you have to expect some wear and tear.  The light interior also lightens the cabin area, though does stain if wearing denim or similar dark coloured clothes.  Through the dealer you would have a little more comeback if anything went wrong. Marshalls (of which Marshall-mini is part of the group) as you know is a major Skoda dealer and get excellent feedback, so would expect this car to be of a similar quality. Maybe a little too high mileage to pass through the Skoda approved programme?

Thanks for the comments and the ones above. I would prefer the L&K. I just can't live with the cream interior. I do have a budget of 20k. So I can go higher. I am not sure a  sportline fits the bill, as I live rurally and I am surrounded by pot holes, so a lower car with larger alloys isn't a preference for me. I take the point about buying from Skoda approved though. 

The SportLine barely rides any lower and a lot of L&K’s have 19’s so don’t rule out a SportLine on that basis. The spec is odd on the pre Plus SportLine though. L&K is a killer spec and there are one or two 220 and 280 L&K Estates out there. It’s definitely worth the extra over the SE-L Exec.

On 09/04/2021 at 10:00, e-Roottoot said:

Plenty Superb 280,s used for Airport Transport in Scotland and plenty prestige vehicles used for Private Hire vehicles in Aberdeen. 

That would be really silly tbh. Even a 220 is pushing it when there is the exact same car with a diesel available with 4x4 if that is important. 

Maybe OK if it was a really good lease/purchase deal but still cannot get the logic. 

@KeteCantek

Really silly they are or just 'Simply Clever', because not everyone wants a diesel and are fine with a Petrol Car with AWD, and they use 280's. Or Audi's, Merc's etc with petrol & AWD. 'Ours is not to reason why when that is what they use', but i will try!

Not every driver wants to use a diesel, especially with AdBlue and DPF when they might well sit for periods with engines running while waiting to pick people up from planes or helicopters at or near terminals, which is what some are doing when collecting oil workers. The slight cost saving of a diesel for the sake of buying fuel and getting better consumption maybe is not there if the car is not going to be cheaper to actually keep on the road.

?

Why do you drive a 280 & not a 220 TDI?

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 11/04/2021 at 07:18, e-Roottoot said:

@KeteCantek

Really silly they are or just 'Simply Clever', because not everyone wants a diesel and are fine with a Petrol Car with AWD, and they use 280's. Or Audi's, Merc's etc with petrol & AWD. 'Ours is not to reason why when that is what they use', but i will try!

Not every driver wants to use a diesel, especially with AdBlue and DPF when they might well sit for periods with engines running while waiting to pick people up from planes or helicopters at or near terminals, which is what some are doing when collecting oil workers. The slight cost saving of a diesel for the sake of buying fuel and getting better consumption maybe is not there if the car is not going to be cheaper to actually keep on the road.

?

Why do you drive a 280 & not a 220 TDI?

A taxi driver will always want to minimise costs. A 280 is not only the most expensive in capital cost but also running cost of the all the engines out there.

There is no way in the world a 280 in any sort of taxi duty will cost less than a diesel superb. DPF wont be an issue because they will get used for longer journeys sooner or later. Being Scotland, won't the journeys be at a good distance? That's why I said a 220 might make bit more sense (even the 1.4/1.5 petrols) but really, a 150tdi will do the job perfectly and there is an L&K model for that too. 

I drive a 280 because I do minimal mileages and a lot of short journeys.   Totally the opposite of a taxi driver. If a taxi driver does this, they be best served using an EV. And why would they sit for long periods with engine on anyway? 

• Groan 1

@KeteCantek   you will find 280,s with high mileage like the one that started this thread. That is because there are drivers doing high miles with them and not all are private low miles use like yours is.   No idea why you would try arguing that it makes no sense doing what people are doing.  So as I said there are 280,s used for Airport Transport and Private Hire in Scotland.  That is city to airport transport and even some weddings, funerals etc.  It makes no sense sitting keeping warm with some clattering diesel with DPF,s and also not having a nice car for your private / family use.     Minus temps nights and mornings still in parts of the North still as it has been since September.  The UK is not all as it is in the South East.   Some know the price of everything and the value of it. Comfort at work being one of those things.  You keep engines running because you want a warm interior.  As to EV,s  there are Tesla running as Private Hire and Taxi,s in Scotland. Then various EV,s in fleets like in Dundee.  Also MPV EV,s used which can be WAV,s.     Horses for courses.    PS I am sitting charging now and there is one MG estate taxi charging and there is a Leaf taxi just left. Neither of which I expect do any Corporate Contracts where VIP,s expect a nice roomy and comfortable car to arrive. Maybe a Merc or Audi but a Superb might surfice.

DSCN5923.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 hours ago, ChrisCh said:

The photos have now been uploaded - it looks like a great spec (almost identical to mine, but with the 19 inch wheels). If I didn't have one already - I'd get a deposit down ASAP B)

Not quick enough. Sold today already!

• Sad 1

SOLD.....Same problem as I was having when looking for my 280.  But I wanted specifics in the car so held out as long as I could until the right car came along but had to adjust my budget...upwards to get what I was after. They do sell quickly and one which I was discussing with a dealers salesman was sold (or had a deposit put on it) with another salesman whilst I was on the 'phone to them. It was taken off their website by the end of the day so suspect it was true not just dealer speak to make me buy there and then.

I bought mine sight unseen over the phone with a refundable deposit from an approved Skoda dealer as soon as it appeared online for sale (Skoda approved used site) and was prepared to walk away if it wasn't as described.

Keep looking and the right one will come along, but I found out you have to be ready to pull the trigger as soon as you see one. 

I had similar last September with mine, the one I bought had already been on the Skoda site and disappeared then came back when the buyer pulled out. I saw it back available one evening and rang the dealer the next morning, was “persuaded” to pay £250 deposit to take it off sale for me and viewed the following morning. Glad I did as it’s a great car and got decent enough spec for me. There seemed to be more L&K ones about when I was looking but they still sell quickly. Keep looking and be prepared to move fast with a deposit if one comes up that looks right, you can always get it refunded if it’s a no go.