Sportline replacement shock absorbers

6 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Pero, ¿fue en un sistema DCC / adaptativo o en los pasivos? Hay una gran diferencia en la conducción entre los dos, al menos en el modo Confort.

I used bilsteins in a Ford Focus in my early license years.

Right now, with the suspension that I have on the Superb, I neither feel comfortable nor safe at high speeds.  It only has 30k kms

6 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

I used bilsteins in a Ford Focus in my early license years.

Right now, with the suspension that I have on the Superb, I neither feel comfortable nor safe at high speeds.  It only has 30k kms

It doesn't sound right, at least if it has DCC it should be pretty planted in Sport mode even at quite high speeds.  I remember you had some excessive vibration issues too, not sure if there's a relation between them.

A friend drove mine recently on the highway, it's a SportLine DCC on Eibachs and he was surprised as to how steady and reassuring the car felt, he said he barely needed to be touching the steering wheel, and Lane Assist was off at the time.

Edited by newbie69

6 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

It doesn't sound right, at least if it has DCC it should be pretty planted in Sport mode even at quite high speeds.  I remember you had some excessive vibration issues too, not sure if there's a relation between them.

it's true.  From the first moment I have not felt the car as I expected, the worst of all is that they left me 2 new Superb (<5k kms) and did the same in terms of feeling on the steering wheel, backrests and sun visors.  Now I am also going to soundproof B-pillars, wheel arches and boot.  Not to mention the 7.5 liters / 100 km that makes me at a normal pace in mixed driving, city-highway.

14 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Did you get the b6 damptronic or are you still stock but lowered.

Nope and I don't think I'll be going down that road unless I need to replace a shock, which hopefully should not happen while my ownership :tongueout:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2021 at 21:28, Gabrielem said:

This topic is interesting, since the Superb is excessively soft. I have used Bilstein B6 and Eibach pro kit and in the end it was a bit rough. Now with a baby at the Superb I want something that doesn't bounce like a ball.

Koni special actives mate. Just fitted a set that I brought form a member on here and it’s absolutely lush 

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Koni special actives mate. Just fitted a set that I brought form a member on here and it’s absolutely lush 

How were they to fit? What's the benefit of those tie rods? 

19 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Mate de activos especiales Koni. Acabo de instalar un conjunto que traje de un miembro aquí y es absolutamente exuberante. 

I have spoken with a Koni dealer in Spain and he tells me that he does not recommend me to put lowering springs, I have told him that I want to put them with Eibach Pro kit or OEM Sportline springs, and he has not answered me ... 

6 hours ago, amateurdad said:

How were they to fit? What's the benefit of those tie rods? 

After lowering original rods are bit long so preloads they arb.. these are adjustable length so can shorten them to take preload off arb. Also ball ends are heavy duty metal not plastic so much stronger and last longer. Plus they look sexy haha 

• Love it! 1

6 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

I have spoken with a Koni dealer in Spain and he tells me that he does not recommend me to put lowering springs, I have told him that I want to put them with Eibach Pro kit or OEM Sportline springs, and he has not answered me ... 

never had a problem running lowered springs on them in the past and Fiat/abarth run konis fsd’s (special actives) on their punto and 500’s with eibach lowered springs as standard on their essesee kits 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 27/04/2021 at 11:36, Roberto280 said:

Hey Ben,

We sound very alike in our wants and needs from a car :cool:

In the 6 months I've had the 280, I've done a Revo Stage 1 on engine and DSG, Koni Special Actives and recently the stereo.

But to answer this question, going from the stock set-up to the stock springs with Koni, I would certainly do the same again.

Rides so much nicer, doesn't lower the height, so still good for the stupid speed humps and dodgy back roads.

Definitely a better drivers car.

Again, it's all subjective, but to sort the wallow and bottoming out, certainly fixed it for me. 

I’d be interested in your opinion 1yr in on the shocker change (without changing springs) still the right way to go ?

also when you had the DSG tuned what difference did it actually make.

Mine is 7spd wet clutch, and I’ve been told by dealer it learns my driving style and adjusts itself accordingly 🤷‍♂️ All I know is that when setting off it changes to 2nd gear with a milli second, then feels to clutch slip it’s way upto 4th (if I didn’t know better I’d think it was CVT)

Dsg does not learn driving style. It will change its response depending on conditions like required load and clutch wear. Sometimes a reset can make it more sprightly but it will likely only last a few hundred or thousand miles. Got this info from a vag tuning garage and it reflects my own experience. A pedal box and engine tune will help. Not had the pleasure of a dsg tune but most of the reports are positive.

20 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Dsg does not learn driving style. It will change its response depending on conditions like required load and clutch wear. Sometimes a reset can make it more sprightly but it will likely only last a few hundred or thousand miles. Got this info from a vag tuning garage and it reflects my own experience. A pedal box and engine tune will help. Not had the pleasure of a dsg tune but most of the reports are positive.

the garage told me the new 7spd wet clutch gearbox was an intelligent system and it had the ability to learn.

I’ve heard about such systems on other cars, but don’t know how it works on Skoda’s

Am curious as to what exactly a DSG tune does, ie, it’s benefits?

5 minutes ago, taurean7 said:

the garage told me the new 7spd wet clutch gearbox was an intelligent system and it had the ability to learn.

I’ve heard about such systems on other cars, but don’t know how it works on Skoda’s

Am curious as to what exactly a DSG tune does, ie, it’s benefits?

People have suggested for years that they learn. They do adapt to conditions but they don't learn your driving style. The more recent boxes will probably have more data to draw on to make changes so appears more than ever to learn. Still just adapting though.

A tune will change the shift points to higher revs along with faster shifting. Might also increase the clamping pressure of the clutches to handle more power. All adds up to a more engaging experience at the expense of economy and wear. Stick to suggested services and don't drive like a dikc and you'll likely not see any detrimental effects.

• Love it! 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/02/2022 at 17:03, MarkyG82 said:

People have suggested for years that they learn. They do adapt to conditions but they don't learn your driving style. The more recent boxes will probably have more data to draw on to make changes so appears more than ever to learn. Still just adapting though.

A tune will change the shift points to higher revs along with faster shifting. Might also increase the clamping pressure of the clutches to handle more power. All adds up to a more engaging experience at the expense of economy and wear. Stick to suggested services and don't drive like a dikc and you'll likely not see any detrimental effects.

I must admit I was sceptical myself, but I find it weird that when I first set off the gearbox seems to slip quite a bit under light acceleration, but this improves as you drive.  Not quite sure its clever but there is something going on.

With regards the tuning of the gearbox, I am dubious of that as (like the ECU) it could record the amount of times it is flashed, and in the event of a fault where significant work is required there are times you would be eligible for a goodwill gesture from Skoda - if modified this wouldn't be an option.  Recently read a post on Facebook where this has happened to an owner.

On 20/05/2021 at 14:28, Esseesse200 said:

Just fitted the koni fsd (special active) and wow what a difference.. no wallowing round corners no bouncing after bumps and no crashing though potholes and minor bumps.. really sure footed now.. 

I am also lowered on H&R with 12mm spacers. It’s properly spot on and very highly recommended mid for the price 

BD9365A4-8792-456A-9341-3F6AB861FF95.jpeg

FCE9B2D0-18E1-4799-A5FD-699DF1A4401A.jpeg

Hi there

Now you've had them a while what is your opinion?

I am interested in improving the driving dynamics, but not bothered about lowering as I want to tow a caravan and lowering wouldn't help (neither would the speed bumps round where I live)

I assume that if I am not lowering I can remain with standard tie rods as the arb wont be pre-loaded??

1 hour ago, taurean7 said:

Hi there

I am interested in improving the driving dynamics, but not bothered about lowering as I want to tow a caravan and lowering wouldn't help (neither would the speed bumps round where I live)

I assume that if I am not lowering I can remain with standard tie rods as the arb wont be pre-loaded??

Car was beautiful after fitting and handled lovely.. car sold now tho however I did remove  konis and they are going on the new one.. 272 sportline this weekend 

16 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Car was beautiful after fitting and handled lovely.. car sold now tho however I did remove  konis and they are going on the new one.. 272 sportline this weekend 

can you tell me what age of cars you had before (and now) and apart from the shockers did you need anything else when you had them fitted (outside of springs and tie rods as they won’t be necessary for me)

I mean changing of bump stops or shocker top mounts??

can’t remember if I’ve asked this of you but where did you get them from, and fitted by? And approx cost?

20 hours ago, taurean7 said:

Hi there

I tow a caravan, and these  shockers (with sportline springs) are a godsend for towing. Do it 👍

22 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

I tow a caravan, and these  shockers (with sportline springs) are a godsend for towing. Do it 👍

I’m very tempted, only just got car, so between swapping towbar over and the eye watering road tax am a bit brassic.

But I am aiming for them, any recommendations for a source and who fitted them for you - anywhere near Manchester?

6 hours ago, taurean7 said:

I’m very tempted, only just got car, so between swapping towbar over and the eye watering road tax am a bit brassic.

But I am aiming for them, any recommendations for a source and who fitted them for you - anywhere near Manchester?

i had mine sourced and fitted by clp automotive in sheffield, but im quite sure awesomegti in Irlam could sort you out.

On 09/03/2022 at 22:20, taurean7 said:

can you tell me what age of cars you had before (and now) and apart from the shockers did you need anything else when you had them fitted (outside of springs and tie rods as they won’t be necessary for me)

I mean changing of bump stops or shocker top mounts??

can’t remember if I’ve asked this of you but where did you get them from, and fitted by? And approx cost?

Fitted them back on to the new one today. Old one was 66 plate diesel 4x4 and the new one is a 68 plate 272 so front springs were different but all in all so much better.. bump stops swap straight over. Kind of. Because off the bigger diameter damper rob tube you have to drill out the centres of the bump stops slightly. Front and back. Everything else just swaps straight over. I did replace top mounts because you might as well. Can use slightly shorter drop links if lowering but not essential 

556FF60D-8395-4F6A-9CDB-B533C7703EC9.jpeg

43FB0BDD-3329-4765-8119-29BC811D4E4C.jpeg

01D63F83-D203-4076-8D1F-BEB93526E7F9.jpeg

• Like 4