Start/stop... Linked to steering...

I've tried searching for a solution to this but can't find anything. So apologies if I'm just not very good at using the search function! 

When my auto start/stop cuts in, for example at traffic lights, the steering locks too, as if the power steering is turned off at the same time. 

I drive a new kodiaq for work and this doesn't happen in this. In fact when the engine is off and I even slightly turn the steering wheel, the engine starts up again. 

Anyone know if this is just a 'quirk' of the superb/older start stop system? 

I'm in a superb 2017 sportline if that makes any difference.... 

Any ideas to solve the problem appreciated! 

Thanks 👍

Hi welcome to the forum, I think you will find that the steering is not actually locking - just getting very 'heavy' due to the electric assisted power-steering disabling on engine-stop. If you do try to turn the wheel, the engine should start. Are your front tyre pressures correct? 

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the welcome, and your reply! 

I've been out in it this evening and like you say, it is the power steering disabling, as it did restart when I turned the wheel. Although this took considerably more turning that on the work kodiaq. I'll check the tyre pressures to be on the safe side. Possibly just heavier steering in the superb. 

Thanks again for your reply 👍

Mines a 2019 superb and i don’t recall the steering getting heavy when stop start kicks in. I presumed the powersteering is electric and stays  active. Mine is like your kodiaq, slight nudge and it starts up 

14 hours ago, nebrog23 said:

Mines a 2019 superb and i don’t recall the steering getting heavy when stop start kicks in. I presumed the powersteering is electric and stays  active. Mine is like your kodiaq, slight nudge and it starts up 

Likewise my MY20 only requires a slight nudge and the engine starts, can be done with one finger

Mine is heavy but doesn't take much effort at all to start the engine.

I prefer a gentle tap of the throttle to get the engine started in advance of moving off otherwise I still find it a bit disconcerting to not know if the car is going to pull away when I ask it to.

• Confused 1

On 20/04/2021 at 18:46, mills787 said:

Any ideas to solve the problem appreciated! 

Stop/Start can be a blessing in a traffic jam, but a real nuisance in rush-hour traffic at a roundabout.

Even if you learn to finesse the throttle so as not to engage the stop/start, it can feel much safer just to switch it off.

At least, that's what I do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, freelunch said:

Stop/Start can be a blessing in a traffic jam, but a real nuisance in rush-hour traffic at a roundabout.

Even if you learn to finesse the throttle so as not to engage the stop/start, it can feel much safer just to switch it off.

At least, that's what I do.

One of the blessings of a manual box, you can choose to hold for a short period on the clutch pedal if you don't want the engine to stop.

On 22/04/2021 at 17:50, Warrior193 said:

One of the blessings of a manual box, you can choose to hold for a short period on the clutch pedal if you don't want the engine to stop.

Also on a manual i can't be bothered to switch the start-stop off. Unless i keep the clutch down to keep the engine from going off, once the engine is off and i'm in neutral, there is no way i'm fast enough to clutch in and select gear before the engine starts.

• Like 1

Electric power steering as fitted to many recent cars is amp hungry - most car control systems disable power assistance when the engine isn't running. 

Power steering faults can be logged on many a car when the battery is on it's way out. 

Edited by bigjohn