Greatest discovery ever

gregwhates

After being on my second Yeti and owning them for over 8 years, I have only just discovered a useful feature - when you remove the parcel shelf, it slots in behind the back seats!

20210501_101548.jpg

• Love it! 1

2 hours ago, Stubod said:

!!!...well I never...you learn something every day!!....

Only problem is we normally leave 2 of our rear seats out..

It doesn't matter as the two support slots are on immovable C-pillar parts.

I remember my dad’s 1978 Chrysler Alpine did this - I always wondered why modern hatchbacks didn’t do it.

I had that on my Yeti 5 years ago

There is a little diagram somewhere in the handbook showing this, but it’s not the clearest 

I am guessing that the rear seats need moving forward or at least the backrests inclined to allow the parcel shelf to slide down the gap, my seats are pushed back tight against it to reduce road and transmission noise.

I tried removing, reversing and stowing the parcel shelf last night and I could not even get it into the rear of the car in its reversed position whichever way I angled it, with the seats forward I could but its a long way from being the simple lift off & stow if you have tall luggage that I had expected it to be, with a variofloor I dont have much height.

This was covered many years ago when I had my Yetis, and it worked for me on the both of them without moving seats etc, and they had the raised floor ( spare wheel) 

I seem to remember some owners at the time saying it didn’t work on their yeti but the design remained unchanged on to the F/L till end of production.

I'm bored so I will try again, looking carefully at the photo the seat squabs are in the rearmost position.

Yes it does fit but the rear seat squabs need to go forward one click from the rearmost reclined position.

Edited by J.R.

Yes they do look that way, nobody has sat in mine yet!

I have them reclined to close off the gap.

The solid parcel shelf is the only thing that I dont like about the Yeti, I prefer a retractable cover like the MK2 Octavia, can be retracted for tall loads and is easily removed for carrying long tall loads and will always fit in down the side or on the top of the load, when I have loaded the rear of the Yeti with materials a couple of times I thought I was going to have to leave it behind.

Mind you compared to the Octavia estates the carrying capacity is much reduced and if I know before leaving I prefer to remove the rear seats and the parcel shelf, it was never necessary in the Octavia, the squabs could be easily unclipped allowing the backrests to create a full length flat loading platform, the squabs took up very little room.

Edited by J.R.

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The solid parcel shelf is the only thing that I dont like about the Yeti, I prefer a retractable cover like the MK2 Octavia,

I miss the retractable boot cover from my Fabia estate that I had for about 11 years that unclipped if not needed.
It even had a lidded compartment for a large umbrella within it.

You can buy retractable covers on Ali-Express but they are a standard fitment on Yetis made in the Far East and from the looks of things the rear side panels are very different and incorporate housings and a locking/release mechanism to accommodate it, I think it would be difficult to adapt, that and the cost of delivery (the cover price was reasonable) put me off.

On my first Sierra Estate I made a retractable luggage cover from a roller blind, it was saggy, & certainly did not look OE but did the job of hiding that I was carrying tools & equipment in an otherwise standard lookig family vehicle.