What would you change?

As the title says, what one thing about your Superb II annoys the heck out of you and you'd change it if you could? 

Mine is the TPMS system that tells you of an issue but doesn't tell you what wheel is slightly low. Renault's & Citroen's I've owned tell you what wheel has the issue, Skoda tells you about a problem but you need to figure it out yourself meaning you have to check all 4 tyres unless it's very obvious. 

The view out of the back window of the twindoor - oh and the design of the front indicator bulb fitment.

Edited by bigjohn

15 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

The view out of the back window of the twindoor - oh and the design of the front indicator bulb fitment.

Haven't had the pleasure of changing an indicator bulb yet.

42 minutes ago, Andy9-5 said:

Haven't had the pleasure of changing an indicator bulb yet.

Bumper off/ headlights out job and a very strange bulb - where not LED. Fortunately I've not needed to do this yet!

Edited by bigjohn

I might revert to hand signals again :angel:

At least it's easy to change the H7 headlight bulbs and on the facelift there is a little lever to flatten the beam for continental driving (remember that!!)

Edited by bigjohn

12 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Add to this the lack of a rear wiper on the Twindoor - a total PITA..

Edited by ethel

3 minutes ago, ethel said:

Add to this the lack of a rear wiper on the Twindoor - a total PITA..

Good point - although I use "Rain X" on mine. Makes a huge difference.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigjohn said:

Good point - although I use "Rain X" on mine. Make a huge difference.

I like Rain-X, but have never found it to work on the side or rear windows of pretty much anything.

4 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Good point - although I use "Rain X" on mine. Make a huge difference.

Ah, this is a good point - I haven't Rain-X'd mine for a long time and that'd probably go a long way to helping things.

Not a design fault but relevant - the dealer I bought mine from 2nd hand removed the original dealer sticker along with a couple of sections of the heated rear screen elements so it doesn't completely demist at the bottom.

I've got a repair kit but haven't got around to sorting it as yet - perhaps a Rain-X/electrical paint sesh this weekend might not be a bad idea. :wink:

Edited by ethel

4 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

I like Rain-X, but have never found it to work on the side or rear windows of pretty much anything.

I don't know whether it's the angle of the glass on the twin door but water sort of "bobbles" and kind of rolls off as soon as you are in motion.  Twindoor rear window has never seemed to get dirty with road muck in motion.

Edited by bigjohn

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

I don't know whether it's the angle of the glass on the twin door but water sort of "bobbles" and kind of rolls off as soon as you are in motion.

I've seen similar before; rain just didn't land on the back screen above about 30mph on one car.

The issue I will have in the future is not what would I change but what would I miss wen I get something else. 

• Unlike some I love the twin door. I usually open as a hatch but use the boot opening when in restricted height areas such as ferry, Chunnel, multi-storey car parks etc.
  • The passenger and boot space is something else and I find it amazingly comfortable. It suits my tall and ample frame (many cars don't)
  • It's sooo refined - it's hard to even tell if stop/start has kicked in with the 1.4

Theoretically we should be downsizing to one car and a smaller one that Mrs BJ likes driving - I'm dreading it.

Yes - I hear you on that one - there's nothing quite like it - the rear legroom is ridiculously generous and the boot is just brilliant too.

There's so much to like and very little not to. I'm intending hanging onto mine for the foreseeable future (so long as I can still afford to fill the comically-shallow petrol tank :dry:).

If only it were fitted  in standard with a rear view camera ....

... but this is very minor, akin complaining about the ashtray color.

Even the VR6 powered one  flies under the radar, allows you to shop for and bring home whatever you wish at Ikea, plus such a long distance and agile car on the road.

This car is really a blast to own and to drive.

• Like 1

Not much that needs changing, but I would have bought one with the bits I added - High line RVC, High beam assist, heated washer jets. And I would have preferred a different electric control to retract the wing mirrors.

Edited by 26DIPP

On 06/06/2021 at 18:59, Walder said:

Size of the cup holders 

Refuse to take any decent travel mug 

Damn! Forgot about the comedy sized "cup" holders. 

• Haha 1

Better rear suspension on the Estates that don't cause extreme inner tyre wear (despite 4 wheel alignment done when tyres replaced...)

Clutch slave cylinders that don't fail at 30,000 miles with associated ££££ bill !!  Grrr!

I have not had uneven wear on the tyres on the 4x4 or a slave cylinder fail. The brake cylinder is pot luck. Happened on my daughter's car after 11 year and 90000 miles.

6 hours ago, TasMan said:

Clutch slave cylinders that don't fail at 30,000 miles with associated ££££ bill !!  Grrr!

The concentric clutch slave cylinder is notorious on many makes of cars inc some Honda's. It's a bit like a set of bellows around the gearbox input shaft with a release bearing on the end of it. I actively pick versions where possible with a simple piston/seal externally mounted clutch slave cylinder. Much more reliable and if it does fail it's a simple cheap job.

On that note it's reminded me of another mkII problem with some diesel engined manual cars - the dreaded clutch pressure plate failure that can machine it's way through the gearbox casing inside the bellhousing - another thing to change on some versions.

• Like 1

I will be changing my clutch, DMF and concentric slave cylinder next week, after 3 months of trying everything to avoid pulling the 4wd transmission unit out I no longer have a choice as I have to bleed the clutch after every short trip into town, a 100 mile round trip involved losing the clutch on the way & having to bleed it, the same on arriving at the destination and once again during the return leg.

Air is getting in at the lowest level either the concentric cylinder or at the bleed block O rings (which have been changed for 2.0mm dia cross section from 1.8mm) but there is zero fluid loss, not even a drip :sadsmile:

I am really hoping that not only will this finally cure the problem but that I will be able to find what exactly has been happening, the only remaining theories that I have are axial oscillation from a worn DMF and/or a fractured preload spring on the cylinder.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 22:02, bigjohn said:

On that note it's reminded me of another mkII problem with some diesel engined manual cars - the dreaded clutch pressure plate failure that can machine it's way through the gearbox casing inside the bellhousing - another thing to change on some versions.

Yeah, thats a very good point.  I can't remember what one was the culprit (Sachs or LUK) but it is well documented on here.  I made sure when they replaced the clutch due to the slave cylinder failure that it was the clutch that hadn't been reported with all the failures.