Skoda tyre pressure monitor

Alanphe

From memory, it's available as an option if you require that. But my only experience with the Renault system was in a hire car in Corsica... when it would light up like a Christmas tree when one side of the car was bathed in sunlight! 

Chris

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alanphe said:

mine is a new all options karoq.....and dont remember anyone offering that

oh well....just not very good

Just checked the latest UK brochure, and you're correct it's not shown there. Skoda just provide the legally required version. But there are add-on ones from Michelin etc who fit special valve caps with pressure sensors and a display panel in the car. I've always found the ABS -based system adequate and am wary about the extra sensitivity of direct pressure reading systems. 

Chris

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

If like the Renault system then it is expensive when sensors go wrong and need replaced.

A genuine VAG TPMS sensor can be had for sub £20 but obviously you will probably need to pay a tyre fitter to install it.

Still, compared to most things that can go wrong on a car, it feels pretty cheap to me :D

• Confused 1

I was commenting on Renault ones that the OP mentioned.

Really i do not know what they currently cost.

If VW Group ones are 'Much cheapness' that that is fantastic.

As it is anyone getting individual tyre pressure warnings should really check each tyres pressure before just going with the one that is throwing a warning.

It is good even when no warning that the pressures are checked and not just via the dash.

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 15.25.00.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

26 minutes ago, CJJE said:

... I've always found the ABS -based system adequate and am wary about the extra sensitivity of direct pressure reading systems. 

Chris

Same here.  It's not as if we're F1 drivers where a fraction of a lb. makes a big difference to tyre and car performance and more importantly stability.  The last thing most road drivers need is complex information flashing up in front of their eyes if there's a serious problem that needs dealing with fairly soon/urgently.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alanphe said:

The tyre pressure monitor from abs wheel speed is rubbish

should be like Renault and show exact pressures…

It’s always worked perfectly for me and recently gave timely warning of this.

B5CD42D3-AA86-4524-BEFA-904B6BF41CAF.jpeg

• Sad 1

The ABS based system IMHO is fine, it does what you need, still no excuse not to check your tyre pressures manually, I do most weeks.

As to the rRenault system I had nothing but problems with it on my C5 estate also rubbish on Fords .The battery on both systems fail far to easily also you get electrolytic corrosive around the valve seats causing pressure loss.

Edited by pragmatix
  • Like 4

On 05/06/2021 at 14:43, Kenny R said:

No, it should be reset immediately after checking/ resetting  tyre pressures before driving.

What does the ABS-based monitor memorize then, if the car is static at reset time?

I think it initiates a short calibration period for the next few minutes of driving. Within that time period it will work out average relative wheel speeds for each wheel, presumably ignoring times when there's steering input. Then it must store these average numbers for future comparison. 

Edited by Wino
Missing word
  • Like 3

It stores the tyre diameters relative to the other three wheels/tyres. If then one wheel gets a puncture the diameter (hub to road) becomes smaller, the tyre does more turns than the others and the ABS flags up the discrepancy. 

tom

On 04/06/2021 at 14:13, Alanphe said:

The tyre pressure monitor from abs wheel speed is rubbish

should be like Renault and show exact pressures…

Could'nt agree more, Skoda are well behind the times

While they're at it, lets bring back the guages for oil pressure , oil temperature, coolant temperature, voltmeters...  and maybe an altimeter for good measure.  One can never have too much information to take in.

24 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

I would rather have the indirect ABS system and check my tyres and pressures

Same situation with Citroen.

But you tell people who want to slag Skoda off that lot, they'll not believe you.

One of the mainstream French vehicles had TPMS valves that set off galvanic corrosion with the wheelrim, cant recall the details but a dive buddy 10 years ago ran a French Kwik-Fit type franchise, he said that it cost over €1K extra, may even have been €1.5K on top of the tyres at every renewal with the cost of parts in France, the manufacturers monopoly and them having to be programmed/coded.

Yobbos were spotting the vehicles and giving each wheel a well aimed kick and by consequence a huge kick in the ghoulies to the owner.

The SKoda system is fine, it detected a punctured tyre before I had noticed. Why would anyone want a complicated expensive unreliable system?

There are enough complications to fail already on modern cars why add to the list?

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

2 hours ago, Karock said:

The SKoda system is fine, it detected a punctured tyre before I had noticed. Why would anyone want a complicated expensive unreliable system?

There are enough complications to fail already on modern cars why add to the list?

Totally agree……..I’ve had this basic system on my VW / Skoda vehicles for 11 years now, always found it more than adequate.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 14:59, CJJE said:

Just checked the latest UK brochure, and you're correct it's not shown there. Skoda just provide the legally required version. But there are add-on ones from Michelin etc who fit special valve caps with pressure sensors and a display panel in the car. I've always found the ABS -based system adequate and am wary about the extra sensitivity of direct pressure reading systems. 

Chris

On 04/06/2021 at 15:31, FlyingGecko said:

Same here.  It's not as if we're F1 drivers where a fraction of a lb. makes a big difference to tyre and car performance and more importantly stability.  The last thing most road drivers need is complex information flashing up in front of their eyes if there's a serious problem that needs dealing with fairly soon/urgently.  

On 04/06/2021 at 15:55, Kenny R said:

It’s always worked perfectly for me and recently gave timely warning of this.

B5CD42D3-AA86-4524-BEFA-904B6BF41CAF.jpeg

On 04/06/2021 at 16:26, pragmatix said:

The ABS based system IMHO is fine, it does what you need, still no excuse not to check your tyre pressures manually, I do most weeks.

As to the rRenault system I had nothing but problems with it on my C5 estate also rubbish on Fords .The battery on both systems fail far to easily also you get electrolytic corrosive around the valve seats causing pressure loss.

2 hours ago, Karock said:

24 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Totally agree……..I’ve had this basic system on my VW / Skoda vehicles for 11 years now, always found it more than adequate.

Just goes to show you don’t need a fancy complicated  all singing and dancing, bells and whistles, expensive system to be effective.

• Like 1