Have we done the "Fitting and wiring a Dashcam"

gumdrop

Up until now I have plugged my dashcam into the 12v dash plug and just pressed the wiring into the trim joints.

This worked for two Yeti and a Fabia Monte but this Kamiq has me stumped. I don't really want to hardwire it

but I like the look of the Black Vue kit, if I must.

Hardwire kit is a piece of cake.

What camera do you have? I have a nextbase camera and will use the nextbase hardwire kit.

Hello, it's a Nextbase 312 GW that works really well. I had noticed many cars have these dashcams on the dash top

rather than up behind the interior mirror.

Done it the day I got my Kamiq.

helps that it’s my business, but yeah it’s not a terrible install.

just careful on the boot accordion seals if you’re doing a rear cam, as the locking tab snaps off easily and to replace the seal is a bigger job than you’d like to think.

ask me any questions you need. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this on Amazon this has a switchable Ignition off/Camera off or Ignition off/ parking surveillance, low voltage off.

REARMASTER Universal OBD Power Cable for Dash Camera,24 hours Surveillance with mode switch button (mini-usb)

(there is also a micro usb version)

On 17/06/2021 at 08:33, FitMyDashCam said:

Very simple install in the Kamiq to be honest.

When I’m back of holiday, I’ll try and shoot a video guide.

Yes agree. Install only took me 15 minutes. Most difficult part was getting my hand into the fuse box there's not a lot of room in there! I removed the little storage draw for easier access.

I'll take some photos of my install when my partner is back

• Like 1

Nextbase 422,  wire to oermznent supply with parking mode. Found the camera occasionally jammed up needing a rest due to some random firmware bug.

Now wired without parking mode but with a 2 way switch fitted to the back of the driver glove box. Has 3 positions

1. Powered from rear wire circuit (on ignition)  normal use

2. Off (not used)

3. Cigarette lighter circuit - permanent power (for supermarket carlpafks, street parking, etc,  where people do hit and run - surprisingly regularly nowadays).  This position is a power drainer.

Edited by peterhr
  • Thanks 1

On 17/06/2021 at 08:33, FitMyDashCam said:

Very simple install in the Kamiq to be honest.

When I’m back of holiday, I’ll try and shoot a video guide.

Here are photos of mine I used the official Nextbase hardwire kit

IMG_20210711_111430.jpg

IMG_20210711_111445.jpg

IMG_20210711_111506.jpg

IMG_20210711_111526.jpg

Edited by AJ89

On 07/07/2021 at 09:07, AJ89 said:

Yes agree. Install only took me 15 minutes. Most difficult part was getting my hand into the fuse box there's not a lot of room in there! I removed the little storage draw for easier access.

I'll take some photos of my install when my partner is back

Take the glove off under the steering out.

Open it, it has a couple of spring clips stopping if flopping completely forward, then give it a tug ..  it votes off. As does the cheek of the dash the door kitchen its closed.

• 5 weeks later...

I did my BV 750S at the weekend  . Used fuse 46 as we dont need heated seats where i live.. Ran the cable across along firewall and the up the left hand trim edge to top of A pillar trim.. Couldnt get the trim off easily so i wedged top outer edge open a bit and slid a heavy bit of cable tie in behind airbag and out to between top of trim and windscreen. Then along inside headliner edge to the  Camera which is at top of screen to the left of centre binnacle same as I have in my Tiguan.

Would like some advice as how to get  trim off the taildoor as it seems the whole lot has to come off to get the top piece off, so I havent bothered yet.  Tig was easy as its just across the top and sides are seperate

Edited by Exkiwi

7 hours ago, Exkiwi said:

Would like some advice as how to get  trim off the taildoor as it seems the whole lot has to come off to get the top piece off, so I havent bothered yet.  Tig was easy as its just across the top and sides are seperate

You need to take the whole trim piece off.

Start by removing the TX20 screw on the floppy handle-dildo thing, then grab some plastic trim tools (thick, strong ones ideally) and push them between the metal hatch lid and the trim just around the latch. slide then to the outsides and you'll be able to pull it down a little. WATCH OUT FOR THE AUTO TAILGATE SWITCH IF YOU HAVE ONE.... at this point, disconnect it. Or, simply pop it out from behind and let it hang out mid air for a while.

Then working around to the sides, keep pulling at the trim with firm, quick actions. The trim clips (metal "A" looking ones.... like every damn VW ever) will start popping out. of the hatch lid hopefully, but most likely the plastic trim too... dont worry about that yet. when you get to the last bit near the D pillars, you'll need to kind of peel it out from around the edge of the D pillar to release it all. Then you can take it off completely, and marvel at the few little clips you now have inside the metal hatch lid, and wonder how you'll get those out. My advice is pliers, and safety glasses.

Now thats all done... Another couple of TX20 screws on the D pillars at the top (bottom if you're inside a closed boot at this point) and then get to the pulling again, inwards this time though. you need to bend those bits of the trim inwards to the point that you think its too much, to clear the metalwork behind. then lastly just yank the last little bit off - and hope you dont leave any more clips behind.

To put it back, just do it in reverse - but fit the clips you retrieved from half a mile away when they slipped out the pliers into the trim before you offer it back up. Then as brutal as it looks, just clench a fist and literally punch (with the side of your hand) the trim back into place and the clips will happily take over. Just make sure they are lined up into the slots... otherwise you'll be buying more clips from your dealer later on.

And that's pretty much it. Takes me about 5 mins these days - but the first one took FOREVER, albet I was working in the dark with a torch that belonged in the 90's.
I've attached photos of a Yeti with all its bits removed - you'll get the idea, I hope.

30739373_1877363389221940_3181949671115325440_n.jpeg

Thanks for  that a have a spare camera but as wifes Polo lasted 10 years without a rear one I may not bother as she gets antsy when I start removing panels from brand new cars.. LOL

I would respectfully point out that the Addafuse in the pictures appears to be  installed incorrectly.

In my car the hot side is on the right side of the fuse socket and therefore the addafuse should be around the other way as per this pic

As it is in the above pic the current has to go through the original fuse to get to the secondary circuit and should that blow the camera will turn off

addafuse correct.jpg

20210812_142840[1].jpg

20210812_143557[1].jpg

Edited by Exkiwi
Added pics

• 8 months later...

On 13/07/2021 at 08:36, peterhr said:

Take the glove off under the steering out.

Open it, it has a couple of spring clips stopping if flopping completely forward, then give it a tug ..  it votes off. As does the cheek of the dash the door kitchen its closed.

Did you remove this panel [Photo] to pass the wire through?

I tried to pry it open with the Blackvue plastic tool but it just does not come out.

Also, the tiny glove compartment [right hand drive] under the steering wheel, It opens up but can we take it out for easy access to the fuse box?

image.thumb.png.1eaa7c171f68bea745e8e1243d52b23f.png

Also, 

Hi Folks,

I have a Kamiq 2022 model and am struggling to undo 

1. Driver-side small glove box
    1. I have pushed the small glove box beyond the clip on top left and it now rests on its 2 hinges at the bottom. I am just not able to wiggle or pull it out. When I give it a hard pull, i can see rest of the plastic panel moving and thus I stopped :) 
  2. Driver-side door dashboard panel
    1. I have a blackvue plastic tool but the panel seems very very tight. I tried to pull the panel with bare hands but It surely does not budge

How have you guys gone ahead with these two problems?
I am thinking of outsourcing it to a garage but thought to check with the experienced folks once :) 

I am planning on adding 2 dashcams (4 camera system) with the tiny small rear camera on each to be attached on the back-side windows

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-08 at 9.17.55 PM.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a Nextech DVR in my 2021 kamiq last week. Most of the posts I've read here say to run a wire down to the fuse box, I assume down one of the front side pillars. The advice I got from a friend who installs these for a living is to stay away from running wires in an around the front side pillars because they are packed full of airbags and also do not run wires from the fuse box to the driver's side pillar because there is a drivers knee airbag tucked in between the fuse box and dashboard side panels (see maximusOctavius post above). Other advice is to only used screened cables for powering up the DVR and make sure the screen is earthed at one end. Modern cars are packed full of electronics and any RFI given off by the DVR or it's power supply could cause critical safety systems to malfunction. Cables should also be sleeved in PPS sleeving for mechanical and heat protection and fixed in place with cable ties.

My solution was to run the +12V power feed for the DVR from a point on the rear tailgate and the video cable for the rear camera, through the space between the roof and roof lining to the front roof centre console. The attached document records how it was done.      

Skoda Kamiq DVR Camera install V1.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks FyllCee!

I actually had a tough time opening up the various Trims and thus finally got it outsourced to a local auto electrician who does dashcams for a living. The car was a week old and was worried to scratch it out.

I am really surprised (happy) reg. the factory fitting of trims in Kamiq compared to say Toyota etc.

We installed 2 x Blackvue 900x Plus 2CH to work as a 4 channel arrangement with two main cameras facing front and rear windows whilst the smaller rear cameras facing the boot side (fixed) windows