Bilstein B6

My car is about to reach 100.000 km, so I just ordered off ebay a set of Bilstein B6 dampers to assemble with the original springs maintaining the original ride height. I'm sick and tired of the bouncy ride specially at high speed roads. 

https://www.ebay.es/itm/401530447405

Part numbers are:

35-229872 + 24-229890

Can't wait to have them assemblied!!

Let’s hope they are in stock! 

Had a B13 kit on order for about 8 weeks now and it will be an estimated 5 more weeks before they are made. 

• Like 1

I already have them at home, only took 4 days to ship from Germany to Barcelona. Due to "reasons" I won't be able to fit them until mid July... can't wait!

• Like 2

"reasons" can be such a pain....

Good luck with the fitting and be interested in how you think the ride is after fixing.

Getting Koni Special Actives fitted was one of my first jobs when I picked my 2017 up late last year, again, due to the bouncy ride...

"Reasons" are a pain, in my case I'm moving from one city to another at 400 km at the end of month, so I hope to have them fitted once I'm established in my new home.

21 minutes ago, Txmax said:

"Reasons" are a pain, in my case I'm moving from one city to another at 400 km at the end of month, so I hope to have them fitted once I'm established in my new home.

Wasn't prying :) have enough 'reasons' going on myself these days...

Good luck with the move

• Like 1

On 17/06/2021 at 15:24, Roberto280 said:

"reasons" can be such a pain....

Good luck with the fitting and be interested in how you think the ride is after fixing.

Getting Koni Special Actives fitted was one of my first jobs when I picked my 2017 up late last year, again, due to the bouncy ride...

Hi Roberto, how is your experience with the Koni SAs? Considering them myself.  

17 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Roberto, how is your experience with the Koni SAs? Considering them myself.  

Hey Warrior, I very much like how the car rides now, compared with stock dampers.

Much more controlled.

I p/x my 2013 Octavia Mk 3 for a 2016 Superb Exec.  with 17 inch wheels last May. I was disappointed with the  soft suspension, especially over speed humps. So I purchased Bilstein B6 shocks, and my independent workshop installed them for £240. Great difference with original springs, and the car is now a delight to drive. Insurance company ok'd change.

Thanks to those who reported on Bilstein's in previous posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vak said:

I p/x my 2013 Octavia Mk 3 for a 2016 Superb Exec.  with 17 inch wheels last May. I was disappointed with the  soft suspension, especially over speed humps. So I purchased Bilstein B6 shocks, and my independent workshop installed them for £240. Great difference with original springs, and the car is now a delight to drive. Insurance company ok'd change.

Thanks to those who reported on Bilstein's in previous posts.

Good to hear! Can't wait to fit mine. My other car is a Mini R50 with Bilstein B12 (Eibach springs + Bilstein B8). Rock hard suspension but really stable. I hope the Superb doesn't lose the comfy ride after fitting the B6s. I'm not looking for an sports car, but a safer and sharper ride. 

• 2 months later...
On 17/06/2021 at 14:54, Txmax said:

I already have them at home, only took 4 days to ship from Germany to Barcelona

lucky You :)

i have never-ending waiting time,

answer from German seller ->

here are the delivery times from all parts:

F11-79-008-01-HA  / available

F11-85-043-02-FA  / end-september

23-254343 / end-october

20-267537 / mid-november

but that are B6 DampTronics (DCC)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

lucky You :)

23-254343 / end-october

20-267537 / mid-november

but that are B6 DampTronics (DCC)

In my case the delay in assembling the suspension is because I've been too busy moving from one city to another, working, etc... I've had them at home for 3 months almost!

Today it'll be the day. Hope the ride changes completely but without losing comfort...

Edited by Txmax
  • Like 2

Well, first impressions after having fitted the Bilsteins is that the car doesn't feel stiffer, that is, it's as comfortable or even more comfortable than before, but with MUCH MORE body control. Exactly what I was looking for. If you are looking for a really sportier ride (I think it doesn't fit this car at all tbh) you should also oder shorter and/or harder springs.

I have to test it in open roads with ondulations, lane changes etc, but looks promising. Surprisingly comfortable, as wife hasn't noticed the change (I have made an experiment and haven't told her yet to see if she notices the difference as a passenger).

Will update as I drive more Km on it.

Edited by Txmax
  • Like 2

Hace 6 horas, Txmax dijo:

Bueno, la primera impresión después de haber montado el Bilsteins es que el coche no se siente más rígido, es decir, es tan cómodo o incluso más cómodo que antes, pero con MUCHO MÁS control de la carrocería. Exactamente lo que estaba buscando. Si está buscando un paseo realmente más deportivo (creo que no se ajusta a este coche en absoluto), también debería pedir muelles más cortos y / o más duros.

Tengo que probarlo en carreteras abiertas con ondulaciones, cambios de carril, etc., pero parece prometedor. Sorprendentemente cómoda, ya que la esposa no ha notado el cambio (hice un experimento y no le he dicho todavía para ver si nota la diferencia como pasajera).

Se actualizará a medida que conduzca más kilómetros.

Hi from Madrid!  what springs do you carry?  has the body raised something?  can you upload some photos ??

13 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Hi from Madrid!  what springs do you carry?  has the body raised something?  can you upload some photos ??

Hi from Barcelona! I haven't changed the springs thereby the comfort has been unchanged. Yesterday my wife drove the car and she didn't notice or complain. The body raised a little bit, but will settle over time, it's really hard to notice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Too low for me, maybe with 18" wheels there will be more gap between the wheel and the wing.

It's not the 19" wheels causing the low ride height, but the low ride height H&R springs.

235/45R18 tyres and 235/40R19 tyres have similar outside diameters.

Outside diameter of 235/45R18 tyres is 668.7mm

Outside diameter of 235/40R19 tyres is 670.6mm

Edited by Carlston

2 hours ago, Carlston said:

No son las ruedas de 19 "las que causan la baja altura de manejo, sino los resortes H&R de baja altura de manejo.

Los neumáticos 235 / 45R18 y los neumáticos 235 / 40R19 tienen diámetros exteriores similares.

El diámetro exterior de los neumáticos 235 / 45R18 es de 668,7 mm

El diámetro exterior de los neumáticos 235 / 40R19 es de 670,6 mm

and the H&R springs and the Eibach Pro Kit measure the same?

3 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

and the H&R springs and the Eibach Pro Kit measure the same?

I doubt the Eibach Pro Kit springs would lower the car as much as the H&R springs. Eibach springs tend to be more sensible and give a better ride than the rather extreme H&R.

Edited by Carlston

I have Bilstein B12 on my other car (Mini R53) that is Eiback (-3cm) and Bilstein B8 and the suspension is rock solid. Nice for a fun car, but will not suit the Superb IMO. I think the best combo without sacrifying the comfort would be the B6s + Superb Sportline springs (1 cm shorter I think). I don't want the Mini ride on the Superb, my wife would kill me! 😄

• Love it! 1

i don't mean to spoil the Bilstein party, but from a dyno test done by DSC Sport, they found the Bilsteins Damptronics are only able to control the rebound, while the factory DCC shocks are able to control both compression and rebound with their valving.

The test was done on the Bilstein Damptronic B16's (part number 49-255874).

This means the Bilstein Damptronics are a less capable setup when looking at compression adjustment, but still happen to have slightly greater rebound range.

Basically the only benefits to the Damptronics are adjustable spring perches to change ride height and stiffer springs.

They are not beneficial when looking at the "active" functionalities of the shock. This is due to the valve used in this specific shock, however in other Bilstein kits tested, like the Porsche Kit, the valve is different and was able to control both rebound and compression.

960618375_BilsteinvsDCC.thumb.jpg.b14ed5d7e12a28600c8d63b5d4d4e0d7.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JR RS said:

Bilsteins Damptronics are only able to control the rebound

bad news for me 😞

recently ordered B6 DampTronic

On 07/09/2021 at 15:24, MartiniB said: