Driving on the right/Driving on the left

I hope you'll forgive me for starting a new thread about this, as the points I'm about to mention have been raised in other threads.  I'm doing so because I feel there is probably a connection between these seemingly unrelated faults - the connection being that they all relate to which side of the road the car thinks we should be driving on.  These are discussed in the following threads:

• ACC Misbehaving
  • KPH/MPH
  • Full Matrix Headlights

In Vehicle app, under Headlights, there are several settings relating to lights, one of which is labelled "Travel mode".  This shows either "Driving on the right" or "Driving on the left".  Although there's  a pull-down menu, which confusingly offers the options "Traffic on the right" and "Traffic on the left",  I find it doesn't let you change the setting from what it's already set on.

When I look at this setting I find that usually it is set to "Driving on the right" but sometimes it shows "Driving on the left".  Whatever it is set to it seems to remain on that for the rest of the day.  I'm guessing that the car is supposed to use GPS to decide, based on the driving rules in the country it's in.  If so, it is clearly confused about where I live as it surely ought always to show "Driving on the left".

Even stranger than this is a message I sometimes get on the instrument panel when starting the car warning me that the "Headlight adjustment for driving on the right is active".  Whenever this message has been displayed, I've gone to the Vehicle settings and found the Travel mode set to "Driving on the left".   This has been the case every time I've checked.

My idea is that if the car is confused about where it is, and on which side of the road I should be driving, it could explain all the problems listed above.  The ACC overtaking problem would be explained if it actually thought it was undertaking (i.e. it couldn't pass the slower car to the left - which would be true in most of Europe),  it could explain the KPH/MPH problem, and might explain why the headlights sometimes dazzle oncoming drivers (if they're set for the wrong side of the road).

As I said, I've commented on this in separate threads but as I feel they may all be connected, I wanted to bring them all together.  

I'm attaching my System Information panel in case it's relevant.  My car is going to the dealer tomorrow for the latest update - I wonder if it will it be 1803 or perhaps the new one that's expected any time now.  

IMG_6545.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting thread - Have you noticed whether you have an internet connection at the time that the driving side changes? This seems to be another common theme; could it be taking the location from the e-sim GPS, and when there is no signal defaulting to mainland European settings? 

18 minutes ago, VinzClortho said:

Interesting thread - Have you noticed whether you have an internet connection at the time that the driving side changes? This seems to be another common theme; could it be taking the location from the e-sim GPS, and when there is no signal defaulting to mainland European settings? 

That's an interesting idea.   How can I check whether it has an internet connection?     As a matter of interest, do you know which mobile network it uses - I think they all have good coverage where we live?

2 hours ago, alancha said:

That's an interesting idea.   How can I check whether it has an internet connection?     As a matter of interest, do you know which mobile network it uses - I think they all have good coverage where we live?

It seemed like there could be a pattern between people with data/connection issues and these issues. Where the error is reproducible it could be down to a data black spot maybe? - It’s so difficult to tally these issues. 

On the bottom row of the infotainment screen there is an ‘info’ section, as I understand it the globe in that section is the data connection. White being connected, grey being disconnected. 

I don’t have ACC or matrix headlights so I can’t help with that point I’m afraid. 

Edited by VinzClortho

1 hour ago, VinzClortho said:

On the bottom row of the infotainment screen there is an ‘info’ section, as I understand it the globe in that section is the data connection. White being connected, grey being disconnected. 

Ah - thanks - I didn't know that.   I've just looked at mine and it's showing a white globe and in the settings it's showing "Driving on the left".   Sometime when it's set to "Driving on the right", I'll check that globe again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alancha said:

I've just looked at mine and it's showing a white globe and in the settings it's showing "Driving on the left".   Sometime when it's set to "Driving on the right", I'll check that globe again.

OK, well later yesterday I checked again and noticed that this setting was now showing "Driving on the right" but again the white globe was showing I had an Internet connection.  So it was a good suggestion but it doesn't seem to be the lack of a connection that explains it.

The car's with the dealer now having the software updated, so I'll see whether any of these things have changed when I pick it up.

7 hours ago, sdolenec said:

Please make picture of inf. system SW version when update will be done..

Yes - well I got the car back and the System information looks exactly the same as before - still on 1788, so I don't really know what they did.

They had actually gone through a five page document I'd given them detailing all the problems and even marked it up, identifying some as fixed by the update they did (if they did), some they couldn't reproduce, and some as "working as designed".  I really didn't expect them to take my document that seriously, but I'm very doubtful they've actually done anything useful today.  I'll be driving about 100 miles tomorrow, so may be able to discover whether any of the problems really have been fixed.

They did me one favour.  They gave me a Karoq diesel as a courtesy car; I only drove it 20 miles home and back and found it OK in a boring kind of way, but when I drove my VRS again I was reminded just how good it is (as long as you ignore the Infotainment issues).

IMG_6557.jpg

3 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

@alancha actually they have probably updated some of the modules of the car despite no visible changes in the system information. 

Correct, that screen only shows the version of the infotainment system not the software versions of any of the other modules in the car - of which there are many (30 or more in scans on the Ross-Tech website).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Correct, that screen only shows the version of the infotainment system not the software versions of any of the other modules in the car - of which there are many (30 or more in scans on the Ross-Tech website).

Yes - and I'm sure they changed something because I immediately noticed that the car pulls more smoothly in 1st gear, especially when the engine is cold when the power delivery previously felt uneven.

However, ACC still isn't working properly.  Yesterday on the M4 it sometimes - but not always - refused to pass slower vehicles to my left and once would have passed one on my right if I hadn't stopped it.   I used the Matrix headlights on main beam all the way home in the evening and no-one flashed me, but it was only just getting dark so they weren't operating for a lot of the time, so I think the jury's out on that.

Edited by alancha

My ACC changed sides this morning. Normally it won’t let you undertake a slower car to your right. Today it won’t let me overtake a slower car to my left. Still have to manually change my headlights to the left every time I get in the car. Yesterday, oil sensor faulty light came on again. This was supposed to be fixed last month. Also today, manoeuvre braking currently unavailable and front assist not working. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy25 said:

My ACC changed sides this morning. Normally it won’t let you undertake a slower car to your right. Today it won’t let me overtake a slower car to my left. Still have to manually change my headlights to the left every time I get in the car. Yesterday, oil sensor faulty light came on again. This was supposed to be fixed last month. Also today, manoeuvre braking currently unavailable and front assist not working. 

So I too find that it randomly switches sides but unlike you I don't seem to be able to change this manually.  Also, when my lights settings show "Driving on the left" I get a warning every time I start the car saying "Headlights are set for driving on the right".  It makes no sense!

That's an interesting topic... Mine says "Driving on the right" and I am unable to change this... I'm confused whether this is just a wrong translation or a wrong setting. Indeed I've had my ACC acting weird when overtaking slow cars on the motorways and I've seen people flashing at me once or twice. Yet, I don't seem to have the MPH/KMH issue, tbh, so not sure whether I need to book it in with the dealer...

3 hours ago, Ozzy25 said:

It doesn't let me change the headlights - it always stays at "Driving on the right", even if I select "Driving on the left". I was trying to find out whether there was an automatic setting, depending on the location, but couldn't find that... is there such a thing?

I’ve put it on a previous comment somewhere. When it gives you the option to select right or left, don’t press Left. Instead press right again, then again and then press left. Something like that. It will then stay on left until you turn off the engine again. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

I’ve put it on a previous comment somewhere. When it gives you the option to select right or left, don’t press Left. Instead press right again, then again and then press left. Something like that. It will then stay on left until you turn off the engine again. 

Thanks, will give it a go. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy25 said:

Just tried this and you're right.  It was on "Driving on the right" so on the pull-down menu i selected "traffic on the right" once or twice, then "traffic on the left" and then it stayed on "Driving on teh left" - even when I switched the ignition off and back on.  

Even weirder, as I did this, each time I tapped "Traffic on the right", I saw that message immediately pop up in the instrument panel saying "Headlights are set for driving on the right" but not when I chose Traffic on the left.  This is strange because previously I'd only get that message when switching on when the setting was set to "driving on the left".

2 hours ago, Ozzy25 said:

On mine when the car totally powers down after you switch off the car and lock it. Probably a minute. It reverts back to the Right. 

Yep, just tried it. Exactly as you say - I manage to change it, but then it reverts back after switching the engine off and leave it for a while. I will try putting the front of the car against a wall with the lights on to see what the difference is, as I only get the message that the Driving on the right is activated, when I select it back after choosing Driving on the left. 

Is there an update fixing this, or it's still under development?

Edit: just adding the software version below.

20210702_183027.jpg

Edited by Tishout

Right, so an update - I've put the front of the car against the garage door with the lights on. Even though the settings showed "Drive on the right", the beam was spreading in the correct way, lighting up the left-hand side of the road. When I changed the setting by clicking on "Drive on the right", this changed the beam and it light up the right-hand side of the road and I got the warning message on the dashboard that the "Drive on the ride mode has been activated". Then again, changed the setting to "Drive on the left", which moved the beam to it's original position. So, I'd say the lights are ok, even though the ssettings switch seems wrong. 

Yet, then I got another problem - went to fill up, and just as I arrived at the petrol station, I got an error with my SOS system and a message to visit a workshop. I stopped the engine to fill up, then when started it back again, my infotainment got stuck on "Loading settings...". Most of the controls worked - the modes, park assist, clima, yet I was not able to access anything else in the menu. Tried soft resetting by holding the power button, but didn't work. I will leave it overnight and see how things will look like tomorrow. Somebody mentioned that they had a problem with the SOS syst - I guess it's the normal glitch? What concerned me was the fact that the infotainment is frozen on this "Loading settings" screen... Anybody had this and knows any solution without going to a garage?

Just to add that now the app is not updating the info, saying that there's an issue with the internet - I guess that's the car internet as my phone's connection is fine...

Edited by Tishout
Added a paragraph.
  • Love it! 1

On 02/07/2021 at 23:26, Tishout said:

Right, so an update - I've put the front of the car against the garage door with the lights on. Even though the settings showed "Drive on the right", the beam was spreading in the correct way, lighting up the left-hand side of the road. When I changed the setting by clicking on "Drive on the right", this changed the beam and it light up the right-hand side of the road and I got the warning message on the dashboard that the "Drive on the ride mode has been activated". Then again, changed the setting to "Drive on the left", which moved the beam to it's original position. So, I'd say the lights are ok, even though the ssettings switch seems wrong. 

Yet, then I got another problem - went to fill up, and just as I arrived at the petrol station, I got an error with my SOS system and a message to visit a workshop. I stopped the engine to fill up, then when started it back again, my infotainment got stuck on "Loading settings...". Most of the controls worked - the modes, park assist, clima, yet I was not able to access anything else in the menu. Tried soft resetting by holding the power button, but didn't work. I will leave it overnight and see how things will look like tomorrow. Somebody mentioned that they had a problem with the SOS syst - I guess it's the normal glitch? What concerned me was the fact that the infotainment is frozen on this "Loading settings" screen... Anybody had this and knows any solution without going to a garage?

Just to add that now the app is not updating the info, saying that there's an issue with the internet - I guess that's the car internet as my phone's connection is fine...

Very interesting indeed - thanks for doing all that.

I've had the SOS problem three times now.  The solution is easy though you would never guess it.  Just press the emergency call button, then re-boot the infotainment.  Once it’s restarted you'll hear a loud voice telling you it's contacting the emergency centre and to press the button again to cancel,  do that and within seconds everything will be back to normal.  

I don’t claim credit for this - I found it on a Golf Mk8 forum somewhere.

Edited by alancha
  • Like 1

Thanks, alancha, the SOS issue fixed itself after leaving the car overnight. The I got the same error again yesterday, but it it fixed itself once again after leaving the car for a few hours... 🤔🤔🤔 weird stuff....🤨

Back to the lights - I will check the dashcam video and upload it if it's worth it, so that you can see what I mean.

So, here's the video from the dashcam:

Explanation:

Beginning to 8 sec - the setting is set as per default, after starting the car, to "Driving on the right". Then I went in the settings and pressed the "Driving on the right" - the lights beam changed at around 8 sec into the video.

12 sec - changed the setting to "Driving on the left".

19 sec - changed to "Driving on the right".

23 sec - changed to "Driving on the left". As you can see, the beam is exactly the same as it was, when I started the car and the settings showed "Driving on the right"...