Xenon light intensity

RicardoM

Hello

Is there any easy way we can measure the light intensity of a Xenon headlight? I would like to know how much decreased the light intensity compared to brand new.

Well you can use your phone lux meter or a dedicated one, but in any case you should have the reference data from when it was new and tested in the same conditions. 

In order to really measure luminous flux you need an integrating sphere but thats expensive and hard to come by

5 hours ago, RicardoM said:

Hello

Is there any easy way we can measure the light intensity of a Xenon headlight? I would like to know how much decreased the light intensity compared to brand new.

Even with a calibrated lux meter, you won't get a meaningful result unless you've measured a new xenon luminaire in the same conditions. Plus the fault may be the resistivity of the wiring having increased, rather than the efficiency of the unit having decreased. Or the battery/alternator may be outputting slightly lower wattage.

I have watched numerous videos on the matter. They all failed in giving a definitive answer because nobody seems to have any reference data.

I wonder if the MOT lighting equipment can do more than checking the correct aim of the beams.

25 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

I wonder if the MOT lighting equipment can do more than checking the correct aim of the beams.

Well no, because aim and that the beams light are the only points in a UK MOT test.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well no, because aim and that the beams light are the only points in a UK MOT test.

No too bright or too dim headlights test?

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

videos on the matter

Sergio gabour has the most complete series. I think it's possible to estimate Lφ as lux=lumen/m^2

Maybe bring the headlight point blank to a wall and measure the light output in lux which will be pretty constant. Then measure the lit up area perform the inverse calculation and you should have your answer. Obviously you should have a comparison sample 

4 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

If headlights appear too dim, put new bulbs in.

Define "too dim" in an objective, scientific method.

Edited by RicardoM

5 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Sergio gabour has the most complete series.

It's Sergiu Gabor from Romania.

On 27/07/2021 at 22:43, KenONeill said:

No intensity test, no.

I thought the British MOT regulates everything to the bone. I mean, the light intensity of the headlights has neither minimum nor maximum? Exaggerating a little, it's like saying you can have a candle or the sun inside your headlights. So long they are correctly aimed, ride on...

Back on topic. I am thinking of writing to VAG group and ask about some numbers, ideally a light intensity spread diagram function of distance for a new car. I don't think they are very different between Skoda, Seat, Audi and VW.

As @Wino posted, the MOT is a relatively basic set of safety checks. Passing the MOT doesn't mean a car is road worthy or meets all requirements to be on the road :)

36 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Back on topic. I am thinking of writing to VAG group and ask about some numbers, ideally a light intensity spread diagram function of distance for a new car. I don't think they are very different between Skoda, Seat, Audi and VW.

The headlight beam pattern/intensity will mostly depend on the projector design in a car with xenon's. The outer lens will have some effect depending on it's shape but it's probably quite small.

If you can find out the manufacturer/model of the xenon projector you have, it might be possible to find a datasheet for it, at a guess it'll be a Hella unit?

VAG use a variety of different xenon projectors so there will be a difference between car models :)

Probably wiser to spend the available funds replacing the levelling mechanism that sits on the rear suspension, so that the available light is aimed correctly. 

On 28/07/2021 at 02:47, RicardoM said:

Define "too dim" in an objective, scientific method.

I'll use the same method which lead you to ask the question in the first place. You seem to think your headlights are dim, ergo replace the bulbs.

An old Yorkshire saying, "You don't need to understand how something works to know it isn't working.".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Always found the xenons on the yeti too bright if anything and no deterioration in the 4years of ownership

Not sure about too bright but I've owned Xenons on other Skoda's, Honda and Jaguar and LED on Seat and Audi.

Dipped beam is amongst the best although later Skoda's offered some adjustability of the AFS. High beam on the facelift Yeti is easily the best of any car I've had (Factory fit) . The combination of the bi-xenon on high beam and the additional halogen units is just amazing.

Agree ,in the dark great but the brightness reflected off large highly reflective road signs could be a bit much at times I found.