Google maps directions displayed on Virtual Dash

As I'm having the common navigation problem regarding it not saving my home address or any other addresses/last locations, I have been using Google maps. At the weekend I went up to the Peak District, and found out by chance that if you have route guidance on in Google maps but with the announcements turned off, the the next instruction is shown on the virtual dash in much the same was as the Skoda nav does.

It only works however, when you have the route guidance on either side of the virtual dash, as in inside the speedo or rev counter, it does not pop up at the top like with the Skoda nav (apart from when you first scroll to route guidance it seems to pop up briefly)

Thought this might be of some use to those that weren't aware 👍🏼

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, sneal said:

That's really helpful - but a qick question. CarPlay or Android Auto or both?

I only have an Android phone so can't speak for Apple CarPlay

• Like 1

As an aside, I wouldn’t want my satnav to record/keep my ‘home address’ as my actual home address.

Edited by Baxlin

38 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

As an aside, I wouldn’t want my satnav to record/keep my ‘home address’ as my actual home address.

I don't keep my car key on my house keys for that very reason

10 hours ago, Shelvock said:

I don't keep my car key on my house keys for that very reason

I don’t keep them on because I can’t stand the noise they make all jangling together and scratching up/damaging the very expensive car key!!

• Love it! 1

12 hours ago, Shelvock said:

As I'm having the common navigation problem regarding it not saving my home address or any other addresses/last locations, I have been using Google maps. At the weekend I went up to the Peak District, and found out by chance that if you have route guidance on in Google maps but with the announcements turned off, the the next instruction is shown on the virtual dash in much the same was as the Skoda nav does.

It only works however, when you have the route guidance on either side of the virtual dash, as in inside the speedo or rev counter, it does not pop up at the top like with the Skoda nav (apart from when you first scroll to route guidance it seems to pop up briefly)

That's legendary -  I've always ignored that choice in the virtual dash but now I will be using it!

I can't believe we have to find this stuff out by chance though, it would be nice to have it properly documented.

• Like 1

If anyone is still at the pre-ordering stage I recommend getting the heads-up display. In addition to the speed and the ACC info it displays the navigation instructions - direction, distance etc - from either the Skoda satnav or Google Maps with Android Auto. Probably does it too with Waze and with Apple Carplay buy I don't use those so I don't know.

2 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

If anyone is still at the pre-ordering stage I recommend getting the heads-up display. In addition to the speed and the ACC info it displays the navigation instructions - direction, distance etc - from either the Skoda satnav or Google Maps with Android Auto. Probably does it too with Waze and with Apple Carplay buy I don't use those so I don't know.

Hmm i actually ditched the HUD when swapped my order from e-tec to rs iv. The hud is nice, but without the AR i think its not worth the 660€. 
Does not work with polarized sunglasses and i'd only prefer it for the nav directions.

Also i dislike how the projector hole reflects to the windscreen. I guess i would get used to it, but still its unusable when it's sunny.

Hmm. 660 Euros is  a lot. Luckily I did not have to make that call since it is bundled into the $6000+ Premium Pack here.

It is one of the nicest features of the car though.

I had not noticed that it does not work with polarized glasses. I have had polarized sunglasses for 50 years but my latest ones, that I assumed were polarized, are clip-ons that go with my prescription distance glasses. It turns out they must not be polarized. I just tried with an old pair of polarized sunglasses are, you are right, the HUD is invisible.

However, I have no problem with sunlight, which is quite strong here, even in winter.

7 minutes ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Hmm. 660 Euros is  a lot. Luckily I did not have to make that call since it is bundled into the $6000+ Premium Pack here.

It is one of the nicest features of the car though.

I had not noticed that it does not work with polarized glasses. I have had polarized sunglasses for 50 years but my latest ones, that I assumed were polarized, are clip-ons that go with my prescription distance glasses. It turns out they must not be polarized. I just tried with an old pair of polarized sunglasses are, you are right, the HUD is invisible.

However, I have no problem with sunlight, which is quite strong here, even in winter.

Yeah for 660 Euros i like to keep my dash without a hole in it :)

Here in Finland the sun is low alot which makes it stare right at you.

22 hours ago, Shelvock said:

What software version are you running? Unfortunately this didn't work for me this evening and I'm running 1688.

I'm using Apple CarPlay, and if I use Apple Maps (and only in Apple Maps), I have the turn by turn guidance in the middle dash as you say.
I imagine that each vendor pushes you to their own stuff and blocks features from others? Google with Google Maps and Apple with Apple Maps....

Never tested with android though.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me either. I’m on 1668 as well using an iPhone 12 - If I select either of the ‘CarPlay’ options inside the Speedo I get the music track name rather than directions 

Edited by VinzClortho

For me it appears between the speedo and rpm counter, in the upper middle, where the volume indicator also appears when you change radio volume.

Turn by turn directions only appear when you are approaching the next "action" (when usually the assistant would speak).

No need to select car play info inside either dial.

Version 1803.

Edited by DManel

1 hour ago, VinzClortho said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me either. I’m on 1668 as well using an iPhone 12 - If I select either of the ‘CarPlay’ options inside the Speedo I get the music track name rather than directions 

You need to select the 'Route Guidance' option inside the speedo, not CarPlay

However, it seems it doesn't work with your software version anyway unfortunately.

54 minutes ago, Shelvock said:

However, it seems it doesn't work with your software version anyway unfortunately.

Thanks - unfortunately, as you say, it doesn’t, it just says ‘route guidance unavailable’ - Maybe if I ever get to 1803…

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2021 at 19:05, Shelvock said:

I’ve just had my SOS unit replaced and I’m now on hardware version F and software 1806. I can confirm that on Apple CarPlay I now have turn by turn navigation directions on the speedo screen which I didn’t have previously. 

Had my head unit SW updated yesterday, ver.1806 installed.

Just gave it a quick try to see if I get Carplay turn by turn navigation in virtual cocpit. Works with Apple maps but not with Waze which is my prefered app. Did not have time to try out google maps yet. 

Apple maps directions now also pop up on Head up Display! If only Waze would do the same, i would be happy.