Two annoying things about S3, lights indicator and footwell lights

Hi,

I have both S2 and S3 at the moment and aside of ****-poor reaction to accelerator I have two quality of life complaints:

1. There's no indicator if I have lights turned on or not. Have mine on Auto all the time due to my car being black and my preference to be visible in tunnels etc, but I dearly miss 'lights on' indicator on dashboard. I know it dimms background when they turn on, but it's way too vague to be easily determined. Any way around that?

2. Footwell lights - can anyone tell me what bulbs/LED model are those? In S2 I have changed it to blue LED's:

and Jaytip did it as presented in above topic. Want them changed as well, as blue looks way better than white.

Regards

Totally agree re: lights on indicator.

Seems a backward step not to have a light on the display.

Yes, the switch illuminates, but hardly safe to keep looking down when driving.

Kenny - I actually  knew about this, but I agree with Shugmo - this is actually more dangerous being in such off-drive line position you have to move your head AND arm to see if it's lited. 

14 hours ago, trybar said:

Footwell lights - can anyone tell me what bulbs/LED model are those? In S2 I have changed it to blue LED's:

These are W5W T10 type.

Different strokes etc but I don't find looking down at the switch dangerous at all, as I never look down!

This is my third car with auto-headlights and lights that automatically come on in the rain, and I now haven't switched my headlights on manually in four years. I doubt I ever will again either.

I know the car is doing it for me, so there is nowt to check!!

Edited by Gax
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gax said:

I know the car is doing it for me, so there is nowt to check

That's odd; I've had/seen "auto" lights both coming/staying on in situations when I'd not want headlights (usually bright sunlight) and not come on in situations where I would (eg spray but sunlight).

3 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

That's odd; I've had/seen "auto" lights both coming/staying on in situations when I'd not want headlights (usually bright sunlight) and not come on in situations where I would (eg spray but sunlight).

The odd part to me is someone's car putting the headlights on in bright sunlight!

Surely we can't be driving round in the sunlight checking our auto-headlights aren't switched on?!

The whole auto-headlight is a safety feature more than a convenience, as I say different strokes etc so I can't speak for you or others, but in the dark or tunnels etc I can clearly see the lights are on, I can't think it could ever be safer for me to be looking to make sure they are not on when they shouldn't be.

13 minutes ago, Gax said:

The odd part to me is someone's car putting the headlights on in bright sunlight!

Absolutely, but that's what happened (based on seeing headlights reflected in other traffic).

2 hours ago, Gax said:

Different strokes etc but I don't find looking down at the switch dangerous at all, as I never look down!

This is my third car with auto-headlights and lights that automatically come on in the rain, and I now haven't switched my headlights on manually in four years. I doubt I ever will again either.

I know the car is doing it for me, so there is nowt to check!!

Every time my vehicle goes into the mechanic they turn the auto lights off.

I have had an occasion where, they day after new tyres were fitted, I was driving in dusk and didn't realise the auto lights weren't on until another motorist shouted at me :o

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

For me its tied into automatic wipers, there is an option in the MIB where you can let the car turn on lights if it detects rain, cant recall from the top of my head what the feature is called! So as long as you have wipers on auto as well it should turn the lights on the second it turns the wiper/senses rain..

• Like 1

On 25/08/2021 at 08:17, Kenny R said:

The icon on the light switch illuminates  when the lights are on.

8BBAFC67-0109-40DD-8C70-F8813E06C2D0.jpeg

I've mine set to Auto, and the light symbol to the right of it is always illuminated green, regardless of whether the dipped beams are on or not. That icon is for side lights, and I'm assuming that because my DRLs are on all the time, that icon is illuminated.

The last icon on the dial (the dipped beam one) doesn't illuminate when the dipped beams come on automatically. 

11 hours ago, Shugmo said:

Every time my vehicle goes into the mechanic they turn the auto lights off.

I have had an occasion where, they day after new tyres were fitted, I was driving in dusk and didn't realise the auto lights weren't on until another motorist shouted at me :o

I think it's their normal process to avoid the battery being dead, if the operation lasts a bit. 

I find this clever.

One can only regret, that their process doesn't include a final step to set the "auto lights" back ON. ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Cheeky 1

16 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

Are those bulbs dimmable do you know?

Yes W5W T10 LED are dimmable. ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

Auto-wipers - system detects if your wipers are auto-activated few times (can't remember how much) withing specified period of time  and then headlights turn on even if it's bright enough when they are on AUTO. Find it safety-wise very thoughtful, as well as intelligent wipers stop at junctions when car not moving.

Footwell LED's - had them replaced in my Superb 2 and they were also dimmable, with that gentle blue hue car looks really nice at night.