UK not GB number plates

Llwyngwernog

I understand that GB stickers or GB legends on number plates are soon to be dropped in favour of UK badging.

I have been looking in line and cannot find any number plates with this UK badging illustrated.

Anyone help.

I'm not 100% sure that a UK badge on the number plates would be acceptable, since we are no longer a member of the EU the EU approved number plates with country letters no longer apply to us.

My understanding is that we need separate UK badges, like we used to have before the number plates with country letters.

Well past the time when the Secretary of State for Transport or their department, DfT was telling the people of the UK what has been decided.

There is a thread in the Electric Vehicle section about what goes on the Green Flash Reg Plates if anything for travelling outwith the UK.

Using UK wouldn't go with the ISO country codes and would be a bit close to Ukraine (UA/UKR). The codes for the United Kingdom being GB/GBR

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:UA

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:GB

Can't see how we'd ever get plated with UK on them.

I quite liked my GB plates and found them useful, but if it's a GB sticker then so be it.

EDIT:

No it appears the RAC are reporting it here:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/gb-car-sticker-to-be-replaced-by-new-uk-version/

What on earth 😕

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Like anyone in another EU country is going to give a four X about whether you have a sticker or not or what it says.

I may need to read that link 3 or 4 times to get my head around it 😄

As I'm hopefully travelling on the 28th at least technically I won't need to change plates, must remember to sort out plate for the trailer in France though. 

First trip back for 18 months and boy what a checklist to sort out 🙄

Ignore it, its written by a civil servant correctly interpreting the fine details of the withdrawal agreement and nothing tyo do with traffic laws in Europe.

I am shocked that anyone would believe that traffic police in Europe are going to bother themselves with what symbol is on a number plate or whether or not additional stick on country plates have been used let alone become stressed about it and I live in a country where hoop jumping is a national sport.

If you really are concerned then tape over the country identifier that you believe will result in a fine and dont bother with anything else.

I don't envy you with the grass cutting!!!!

Edited by J.R.

Cheers John,  in - laws and their French friend who keeps Sheep on their land did it 2 or 3 months ago and hopefully it's been Sunny and no rain 😀

Re the plates I'll go away and see what the font of all knowledge says..... the Daily Fail 🤔 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/09/2021 at 23:00, J.R. said:

Like anyone in another EU country is going to give a four X about whether you have a sticker or not or what it says.

You've met the french police right? (I mean you do live there 😜)

British (I guess others too) car in France doing anything at all and it's pull them over and fine them.

The UK plate/sticker is required for travelling through Europe, so I imagine it'll be a field day with this change.
OT, but I know of sombody who had a renault that needed the bumper removed to have a headlight changed that had gone en route, who got fined because they couldn't change it at the roadside. This was despite them having the correct replacement bulb in the car.  To be fair to the French, it was probably just a grumpy officer, as aparantly the local dealer was very accomodating and apologetic.

I can't say I understand why they can't just leave it as GB or GB with the union jack.

Either way, the page is very confusing and there should be a single standard for all of the UK not a lot of options.

On 07/09/2021 at 10:57, john999boy said:

Spotted my first UK plate today on a newly registered Ford Puma.

That looks a lot better than some of the huge UK/country flag with letters in them mess.

Once things have settled, I'd probably get a set for the car to save with a sticker.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

By standards I mean the ISO international standards as listed here (and elsewhere):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iso-country-codes--2

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland = GB/GBR/826 as the ISO standard country identifier.

As you can see Ukraine is UA/UKR/804, and it would be quite possible for people to think as Ukraine is UKR it also is UK.

image.png.ba55a2227cdb01da82a94bcd3a545cab.png

EDIT:

Totally agree with you on people messing about with plates for MOT and it should be an instant road side fine for a mis-spaced/illegal format plate.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
typo
  • Haha 1