Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

Hilarious watching videos of Andrea Leadsome MP from 2024 saying that people were warned in 2016 that there would be price rises and shortages of goods and then watching videos of Andrea Leadsome from 2016 saying that was project fear.

It's almost as if they're trying to rewrite their own history of events. 

Sorry Andrea but the internet doesn't forget and we kept the receipts. 

Johnson said there will be no non tariff barriers but what are checks and delays and increased paperwork if they aren't non tariff barriers? 

Lots of people today saying that the UK is now sovereign and that's what it was about but the UK always was anyway.

Every reputable poll for years now says it was a mistake so, should the UK seek to join the single market and customs union again? 

If not, why not. 

Edited by @Lee

What a gaslighting charlatan Jacob Rees-Mogg MP is. He invited people to call in to discuss Brexit but then when a farmer calls in to tell him  some truths, Mogg talks over him and basically gaslights him telling him his actual experience isn't the reality.

How's the economy doing over in Nord Deutschland. Still in recession? Would that have anything to do with the EU's strongest economy having to bail out others in the club?

Yes we have our problems in the UK, but people often forget, conveniently forget more like, the same problems exist everywhere. The article says fruit and veg prices about to rise in the UK.  Oh shock horror! They'll still be cheaper than they are in the EU tho !  Has anyone seen the prices of fruit and veg in the EU of late?  But err, let's ignore that because that doesn't fit the anti Brexit agenda.

So we're about to expect shortages?  Of course we never experienced any shortages when the UK was part of the EU did we? 

I've just read an article on BBC where a Vegan restaurant in Macclesfield is now having to sell meat to survive. They interviewed the owner, and one of the reasons he gave was Brexit. :D 

If he bothered to read anything about the EU, he'll have seen the same labour shortages are everywhere in the EU.  So we're being asked to believe that all those EU migrants, who no doubt he exploited, left the UK to return home after Brexit and then what? They must be sitting on their backsides watching daytime TV because they're certainly not being employed within the EU as the EU is crying out for labour too. Neither did he explain how a Vegan restaurant has failed due to Brexit, but a meat serving one is viable.  Do people ever think before they open their mouths?

Can't remoaners just give it a rest? The bottom of the barrel has already been scraped bare, there's no excuses left.   Let's try and move on from Brexit.  I'm not sure what people wanted from it, I'm not sure what people were expecting from it, but the fact is, it was never going to make much of a difference. 

The EU bananas I've seen of late are still the same shape as UK ones.   ( a ref to yet another Boris fake news story if people are confused by that ).

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Haha 1

So nothing to say about the UK joining the single market and customs union then which, by the way, shouldn't be a problem seeing as nobody was talking about leaving them in 2016.

Just something about Germany which isn't the EU and not part of the topic and 'why can't remoaners shut up and move on' and some other stuff about migrants which I'm not even sure is correct. 

You said let's try and move on which is partly what this topic is about but it's not made easier by throwing words like 'remoaners' about I hope you'd agree.

Another poll I saw today said that 57% of the UK thinks Brexit was a bad idea and only 13% think it's been a success.

Those figures have been consistent for a few years now .

What are your thoughts on joining the single market and customs union @kodiaqsportline?

You mentioned an article that says something but I have no idea which article you're referring to? If you really want to know the prices I can do a side by side comparison with UK ones with those where I am in Germany if you like?

I guess a recession in Germany which is relatively wealthy by comparison would be affected differently to one in the UK. i.e. if you start from a lower position things would become more noticeable sooner. 

Edited by @Lee

Well the French farmers are doing their bit again,they appear very dissatisfied with Brussels laws and regulations and the massive imports from the ukraine but that’s Brussels and the French for you.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, @Lee said:

you do realise we import about 325,000 tonnes of pork a year don't you...???   And that 60 tonnes referred to was since 2022...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

you do realise we import about 325,000 tonnes of pork a year don't you...???   And that 60 tonnes referred to was since 2022...

If they aren't forced to be checked, anything could be coming in, including even more contaminated meat.

The point you conveniently skipped over.

Summed up nicely

Edited by @Lee

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Even more contaminated than what?

I know you've been in France a while, John but has your command of the English language slipped that far? 

7 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Well the French farmers are doing their bit again,they appear very dissatisfied with Brussels laws and regulations and the massive imports from the ukraine but that’s Brussels and the French for you.

Not sure that's relevant to the topic tbh. 

Unless you know different 🤷

8 hours ago, @Lee said:

I know you've been in France a while, John but has your command of the English language slipped that far? 

Tthe article spoke of illegal and not contaminated meat, your use of the word could only logically have two meanings to me and I was asking for you to confirm/explain not to go on the attack, or perhaps it is defensive.

Either I missed the info about amounts contaminated meat being detected so you are saying without forced detection even more (amounts of) contaminated meat could enter or there was a seizure with a measurable degree of contamination and without forced checks even more (higher degree) contaminated meat could enter.

Could you please confirm which you were referring to.

On the subject of my location and command of English please note my use of the word "enter" and not "come in" this is because I do not live in the UK either physically or mentally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Tthe article spoke of illegal and not contaminated meat,

It was illegal because it was contaminated with African swine flu. HTH

They were in the EU and nowt to do with the UK though.   Different rules for different fools.   

Ireland voted to stay ruled to stay where they were with dodgy politicians and government agencies when they had votes on the EU, 

and then north of the border did as well but were not allowed to. 

On topic to me ,who wants to be involved with the chaos across the EU ,why would we want to be involved when they are having so much trouble???or as you say alleviate impacts of Brexit?🤣 

Edited by Sad555
  • Groan 1

The entertainment industry is worth billions to the UK economy. It's a shame that Brexit has made it more difficult for British entertainment to freely tour Europe.

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden seems to have regrets. He's certainly changed his 2018 tune 

On 02/02/2024 at 23:07, @Lee said:

60 tonnes of illegal pork was seized at Dover last year.

"60 tonnes of illegal pork.", eh?

I can imagine the scene, a trusty British Bobby, truncheon drawn, demanding "Oi mate do you have a loicense fer that pork!?" 😄

Although in Nord Deutschland, I expect it's "Ve haff veys of making you pork!" 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Trouble across Europe 

IMG_8610.png

12 hours ago, @Lee said:

Can you please stop posting stuff that's not relevant to the topic. 

If you think Europe-wide farmers protests are unrelated to shortages, I must remind you that farmers produce our food.

• Like 1